So, it’s true that I’m not much on re-reading a book. I know many of my fellow readers LOVE re-reads (and often prepare for a new release in a series by re-reading the previous books) but… I’m usually good with one read through. After all, by now, I already know what happens, right? It couldn’t have *that* same effect on me twice, could it?
But there are SOME that I have re-read. A precious few, and sure enough, surprise of all surprises, the feeling was still there. That intensity. The stomach drops, and the heart clenches. And yes, I knew what was going to happen, so the exciting guess work was gone, but the butterflies over some of those scenes (and for the book as a whole) were still as strong. And SO worth the re-read.
So Kaycee asked me (which prompted me to prepare this post!):
Kaycee: Maryse, I have always wondered which books you have read more than once coz you loved it so much? And were they still good the second time round?
Maryse’s Book Blog (Paranormal & Urban Fantasy) Only 3 books and yes, all three of ‘em were almost just as good as the first time. The only thing lacking was that I already knew the outcome, but in that case, I got to indulge more in the rest since I wasn’t in a race anymore to know what happens.
The books I have read more than once
2.) Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 3) by J.R. Ward (twice, and I’m wanting to read it a 3rd time – I can’t get enough of Zsadist and his brooding moodiness. I even want to read book #2 again, just so I can get that ending with Zsadist before we move onto his book. (Here’s my review)
3.) Rock Me (Ross Siblings) by Cherrie Lynn – I wanted to see if Brian would still have that intensity since I’ve read so many tattooed bad boys since him, and YES. Oh YES. Loved it a second time, too. (Here’s my review)
Kristi: I could read Lover Awakened again for sure. Sweet, moody, tortured Z!!
Maryse’s Book Blog: Again and again.
Jaycee: Yup, have read Beautiful Disaster twice now and it had the exact same effect the second time around …. butterflies and all
Rita: I’ve found myself reaching for old favorites this year rather than new ones, so a list of re-read worthy books sounds perfect to me!
Deborah: We are of like minds, Maryse. I have loved Travis ever since I first read…andreread…and reread…Beautiful Disaster. There is just something about that beautiful, tortured bad boy that grabs you (I wish) and doesn’t let go.
Amanda: Reading Beautiful Disaster was a welcome back to reading for me – and boy what an amazing book to do it with! I think it have read and reread that book at least 10 times – and each time is better than the next! Travis is everything is girls want in a book boyfriend and more! Badass, fit, committed (to the right woman), ridiculously sweet and HAWT! I loved how he developed throughout he book – from a man whore to the perfectly flawed boyfriend! I love all of the books this far in the Beautiful Disaster series…
Kelly: BDB – what can I say except THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Maryse for turning me on to this series. (pun intended) How lucky am I that I didn’t know about the them until a few months ago? Love vampires, love hot guys, romance, action, hot guys… oops, already said that. I was so lucky I’ve been able to read them all without having to wait until the next one came out, except now I’ve caught up and have to wait until “The King”. Waaaaaaaaa I can’t stop thinking about them and have re-read a bunch of them, some parts of them move than once (Quinn and Blay. Hot!) After reading all your gushing about Z, I re-read it and I think him, V and Revhenge are my faves.
Those are my absolute favorites. And I’m going to add that I’ve pretty much re-read Twilight. LOL! Well, all of the highlighted parts in my paper book where I put little sticky tabs all over. Which was… pretty much the whole book. OMG did that one make me swooooooon. *phew* I can’t wait to find another one that has THAT affect on me again.
When someone tells me they loved it so much they re-read it? YES!!!! This is my reaction:
Maryse: Ohhh re-read category, huh!?? Okay yeah… I gotta read this ASAP!
Linda: Maryse I’m with you when a fellow reader says not only do they love it but it’s also a reread I’m all in!!!!! Thanks Lori!!! One clicked this series!!! Look forward to it:-)))
- Three Rivers (A Gateway to Love Novel Book 1) by Chloe T. Barlow <— This is Beverly’s re-read of choice and WOW does it have a great reviews!! She says: “Maryse, I have read and reread Three Rivers by Chloe Barlow. I absolutely loved Althea and Griffen’s story. Filled with tragedy, regret, healing, love and forgiveness makes this book memorable. Thanks for listing it on your site. Hopefully, once you get settled from your move, you and many others will read Three Rivers, a great, well written book.“
- Rachel’s choice is one of MY favorite series, Experiment in Terror Series! She says: “I’m a little jealous y’all are just now reading EIT. Probably my most favorite series ever! I have reread them, but there’s nothing like the first time. ❤️ Dex and Perry.” Here is my reaction to book #4 in this series. I. Went. NUTS!!!
- Eversea (Eversea #1) by Natasha Boyd <— Victoria was in an absolute love fog after this one! She says: “I know I should read another book but I feel like I just need to re-read Eversea and Forever, Jack. Gosh it was just so good. I just wish that there was a complete Jack POV Novel. I would totally just die and FALL…. in love with him AGAIN!!!! If anyone knows or has more detail them please share…. please. Please. Please“
- Welcome to Sugartown (Greetings From Sugartown Book 1) by Carmen Jenner <— Danette loved this series! “Maryse — I *love* these books. The first one especially. It starts out as this sweet, quirky, funny story and then BOOM! Sucker punch right to the gut. Love, love, love it. I’ve already reread it several times. You need to read these!!”
- Falling In: (Intermix) (The Surrender Trilogy) by Lydia Michaels <— Lori loves THIS one: “Love this trilogy so hard! It’s really great, unusual h, alpha H who adores her, awesome. I see a reread coming.” and then I said: “Ohhh re-read category, huh!?? Okay yeah… I gotta read this ASAP!” and Linda agrees! “Maryse I’m with you when a fellow reader says not only do they love it but it’s also a reread I’m all in!!!!! Thanks Lori!!! One clicked this series!!! Look forward to it:-)))”
- Black Lies by Alessandra Torre <— Joe loved it. And I agree Joe, this one was pretty remarkable! She says: “I have to share one that I recently finish. Black Lies by Alessandra Torre. Amazing story – unique twist that will leave you wanting to reread it again because you won’t believe what happens! It’s well written and very well thought out! Guarantee you won’t be disappointed in this stand alone.” and Julie agrees: “Just finished this one and all I can say is wow! I thought I knew the twist but boy was I wrong! Now I almost want to reread it.” (here’s my review)
- Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows Book 1) by Kim Harrison <— Michelle loves the slow burn in these: “Oh god if you love the slow burn romances and pnr then Rachel Morgan and Trent are for perfect and you MUST…yes I’m ordering you haha, read the Kim Harrison series. I have it right up on my reader since I just reread some of them and it’s 13 books in all.” (here’s the reading order).
- How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffany DeBartolo <— Marina loves one of my absolute 5-star favorites. She says: “…everytime How to Kill a Rockstar comes up I feel a pull to reread it again. It would be the third time! Seriously, that book calls to me. I wish I could go back and discover it again for the first time.” (Here’s my review)
- Games of the Heart (The ‘Burg Series Book 4) by Kristen Ashley <— MichelleS is a huge KA fan, but this one was her re-read. She says: “I like all her “stuff”. Some more than others. I like them while I am reading them, but only remember the details of some, you know? I actually ended up liking MORE of the Burg series than Colorado series (except Sweet Dreams…. one of my faves). I’ll put it this way, I’d reread Games of the Heart.” and Lori agrees! “Games of the Heart and Breathe are both amazing! I love KA like crazy, have read everything but the last half of Matilda (terrible!) but those 2 books are among her best. I’ve reread both books more then a few times each. I thought Mike was a douche in At Peace, but loved him in Games.” Here is the Colorado Mountain Series Reading Order.
- Reaper’s Property (Reapers Motorcycle Club) by Joanna Wylde <— Judy loved Horse! “HORSE!!! Horse is my favorite bad boy of all times I’ve read & still reread Reapers Property” (Here’s my review)
- Hopeless by Colleen Hoover <— Jemma’s favorite! “I love love LOVE all of colleens books I can sit and reread them a million times and still enjoy them as much as I did when I first read them but my favourite has and always will be hopeless. It was one of the first books I read that not only made me fall in love with Colleen but made me fall in love with reading!” I loved it too!! Here’s my review.
- Ugly Love: A Novel by Colleen Hoover <— and Tina is right there with her! “Colleen Hoover is my ULTIMATE author and my favorite book is UGLY LOVE! I devoured every single word and I am still thinking about it, talking about it. I love the Colleen word weaver magic and that I FEEL everything that is in the book…I am there, I get it, I hurt because they hurt…..it takes a truly special author to be able to do it and the thing is she does it EVERY FREAKING BOOK! My heart actually hurt after reading Ugly Love and I want to reread it again….see…Pure magic!” Here’s my review.
- The Accidental Vampire (Argeneau Vampire Book 7) by Lynsay Sands <— Irma loved one of my favs from this series! OMG that initial “meeting” between the two main characters gave me butterflies. She says: “I’ve read the entire series several times and The Accidental Vampire is my favorite. I reread it so many times it fell apart and I had to buy another copy. ” Here’s my review.
- Under Locke by Mariana Zapata <— Lauren loves it! “I read Under Locke when it came out & actually reread it over this past weekend (I was searching for a book…..got distracted….ended up rereading some favorites that I came across). So, so good!!” (my review)
- Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi <— Well… Mae hasn’t re-read the Shatter Me Series yet, but she loves them so much she wants to: “I love this series!!! It was so good. I finished all 3 in 3 days. I wish I never read them so I could reread them all over again”
- The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld series Book 1) by Gena Showalter <— Lords of the Underworld Series is one of Kim’s favorite series: “Love, love, love! her books. Lords of the Underworld is one of my most favorite series! I love this spin off as well and would love to win this! I truly am such a fan that when a new book in the series comes out I reread all the others so that I don’t forget anything!“
- Kitty and The Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville Book 1) by Carrie Vaughn <— The Kitty Norville Series is one of Joanne’s favorites! “I reread the books until they are dog- eared and yellow with age.”
- Driven (The Driven Book 1) by K. Bromberg <— One of Lauren’s favorites is the Driven series. She says: “I waited until all 3 books were out & read em in a weekend. Then reread em. And then reread em again……..LOVE THE DRIVEN TRILOGY!!!!!! Best I’ve read this yr”
- Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) by Amanda Hocking <— Another one of Lauren’s favs! “…have you read Amanda Hocking’s Hollow series? Best zombie books ever. I have read & reread them so many times!!”
- Beg Tease Submit – Books 1-3: Submission Series Bundle #1 (Songs of Submission Bundle) by C.D. Reiss <— Annie’s choice is the Songs of Submission Series! “Oh my gosh…you are going to LOVE the songs of submission series! If I didn’t have something like 150 + on my TBR list I would reread! Oh hell I might just have to anyway!!!”
- Beautifully Damaged (Beautifully Damaged series) by L.A. Fire <— Lori recommends this one! “Oooh, Beautifully Damaged by L A Fiore, I read this last year? Year before? I loved it, I’ve reread it since.”
- Beyond the Highland Mist: 1 (Highlander) by Karen Marie Moning <— The Highlander Series are some of Nicole’s favorites: “I came across Karen Marie Moning’s Highlander Series and fell in love. I just bought all of the books and I am going to reread all of them in order this time.”
- A Quick Bite (Argeneau Vampire Book 1) by Lynsay Sands <— The Argeneau Vampires Series are Vicki’s favorites! “Love this series. I have the hold series in paperback but also have the hold series on my kindle. Can’t wait for the next one to come out. Hope it continues. …I could read on and on with this series. I have reread it twice.”
- To Love A Shifter: A Paranormal Romance Boxed Set (6 Book Bundle) by Marian Tee <— Sharon’s favorite: “If you have not read Marian Tee’s To Love A Shifter a 6 book bundle set,you are missing out. I have already read it twice and I have over 2000 books on my kindle that I have not even read yet and about 50 for tbr read in the next month,but I loved this book, I could not help rereading the stories again,I read the whole book and then read a story in between the next 6 books I read lol I gave it a 5 star rating on Amazon.com”
- A Much Younger Man by Dianne Highbridge <— Carina re-read this one! “A Much Younger Man – written by Dianne Highbridge and unfortunately not available on Kindle. It is an older book and deals with an extreme (to me) age difference and as it is based in Australia, with their age of consent. It is not a long book, but absolutely beautifully written – from the reviews on Amazon, it is clear that the writing style is not everyone’s cup of tea. Due to the age difference, I didn’t know whether I should hope for them to be together or not . I reread my faves all the time and this is the one I have reread most – can you tell I love the book??”
- Night Owl (The Night Owl Trilogy) by M. Pierce <— Amo loves one of my favs!! She says: “Maryse, I read Night Owl back when you first published this review. Thank you so much! It immediately jumped to the top of my favorite’s list. If you guys haven’t read it yet, you need to read it now. It blows everything else out of the water. Seriously. Each time I go back for a reread I’m more amazed at the writing. Beautifully done. Also, very best dual POVs in the genre.” (Here’s my review)
- The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland Series Book 2) by Kristen Ashley <— One of Michelle’s favs (and I LOVED IT!!!) She says: “…she’s such a great heroine. And he’s…. he’s…. he’s…. so dang BAD… bad bad bad…. and you love him anyway. ACK! Be prepared to stay up late, and don’t be surprised if a few days later you want to reread it because you miss them all so much and everything else is just so meh after that experience.” (Here’s my review) and Missy agrees! “Maryse…FINALLY!!! So glad you reviewed this book! I’ve been dying to see if you fell as hard for Lahn as I did! I feel like I’ve been a KA stalker since I finished this series and have been waiting NOT so patiently for Broken Dove. I’ve read and reread this series so many times, I’m embarrassed to even admit it. Not my genre either, but I’m a believer! Happy holidays!!!“
- Collide: Book One in the Collide Series by Gail McHugh <— Jennifer loved another one of my favs! “I re-read Collide and went right into Pulse this past weekend. I have to give myself a few days to recover, but I’m thinking it’s going to be a re-read in the not so distant future. Loved Loved Loved the angst, love story and” torn between two-lovers” scenerio! ” (Here’s my review)
- Sweet Dreams (Colorado Mountain Book 2) by Kristen Ashley <— Maxima’s Kristen Ashley favorite is MY Kristen Ashley favorite! She says: “Ive reread all of her books at least 3 times. But maybe I’ve read Sweet Dreams at least 6 times, lol, so maybe deep down it’s Tate , he he he!” (Here’s my review).
- Darkfever: Fever Series Book 1 by Karen Marie Moning <— Jaime also loves one of my favorites! She says: “The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning! Always my go-to when I’m just not feeling other books.” (Here’s my review of book #1 but I LOVED them all!!) and Kimberly agrees! ”Karen Marie Moning — Fever Series. I’ve read them countless times. They are my summer beach books.”
- Obsidian (A Lux Novel Book 1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout <— and Jaime loves these, too! “I’ve also read Jennifer Armentrout’s Lux Series and Covenant Series a bunch of times too.”
- Breathing His Air (Crimson Romance) by Debra Kayn <— This is Kimberly’s re-read! She says: “Breathing His Air and Living A Beautiful War: Bantorus Motorcycle Club by Debra Kayn (this whole series has been re read 2x’s, but these are much more than that. I am on 3rd of LABW already)”
- Cowboy Justice (Catcher Creek Book 2) by Melissa Cutler <— Kimberly also suggests this one! She says: “(this is the 2nd book of 3 and oh so good)”
- Breaking Away (The Assassins Series Book 5) by Toni Aleo <— and Kimberly loved this one, too! She says: “(part of her Assasins series, loved this one) These are my re reads this year.”
- Nora Roberts Chesapeake Bay Saga 1-4 (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics) by Nora Roberts <— Kelly chose this one! “The Chesapeake Bay saga (4 books) by Nora Roberts.”
- Beyond Eden by Kele Moon <— Ang chooses two more series!: “I have a couple more go-to rereads. The Finding Eden series by Kele Moon and The Dark Duet Series by CJ Roberts. These are on my favorites list too.” (Here’s my review of Beyond Eden)
- Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet: Book 1) by CJ Roberts (see my review) <— Ang’s other choice!
- Undeniable by Serena Grey <— Helen’s choice! “I reread Undeniable by Serena Grey. It’s seriously heartwrenching, and my go to book when I can’t get into any others.”