Imagine finding the love of your life, the butterflies in your stomach, the intensity, the need, the constant non-stop thinking of them, wanting to be with them… knowing you just can’t live without them. Best feeling ever, right? These books HAVE that… that amazing romance love story that will make your heart ache in love-delight and devastation.
Why? Because of a certain angsty twist. The impossibility of that kind of love with that particular person. ‘Cause what happens when the love of your life… is a ghost? *sigh* I always seem to fall for the love stories where the human falls for the ghost.
Every time I see one of these angsty-sounding book blurbs, my HEART ACHES right on the spot. GOD I LOVE how the authors explore this subject. Because sometimes… there’s a solution. Whether it be a crazy plot twist that makes it feasible (*phew*), or finding each other in the “after”. Or maybe something “magical” that allows true love to actually “be” (even on “ghost” form). V and Jayne anyone?
But sometimes… there is no HEA. The truth has to be faced, and sometimes they have to let go, even though they will hopefully meet again in the afterlife, or in another life. *sob* And Kim inspired me to create this list, because we could all use a little angsty/devastating/sweet and magical “true-love” in our lives.
Kim: I’m reading Haunted Love I’ve been on a serious Ghost Romance kick I almost asked if you had any recommendations on ghost romances or your followers. I don’t read a ton of paranormal but I’m seriously obsessed right now lol
Maryse: Oh great list idea Kim!!! I’m on it. I LOVE those kinds of books and have read a bunch and can’t resist ‘em. They get me EVERY time.
Kim: Yay!!!!!!!!!!! I’m so happy you’re doing this lol
Here is a list of all of these kinds of stories. Whether you’re into paranormal or not, I dare you not to lose yourself and your heart, in this kind of love story.
Our (and my) recommendations (tried & true!!)
Dark Needs at Night’s Edge (Immortals After Dark, Book 4) by Kresley Cole <— Hey Kim! Here’s one that will devastate you in angst!! THIS ONE!!! (my review)
Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 5) by J.R. Ward <— HAD. ME. SOBBING. One of the absolute BEST books in the series and in the world (for me!!) and OMG… OMG!!!!! MULTIPLE sobbing sessions with this one. Fan-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!! (my review)
Connected (Twists of Fate Book 1) by Jolyn Palliata <— And this one!! I was just looking back to my reviews from 2012, and here’s a book I reviewed. I loved it, and it’s one of the ones I was thinking about in a few days ago… in regards to falling in love with a “ghost”… IT WAS SO GOOD! P.S. The “now ghost” is a super-famous rock star! (my review)
Grave Refrain by Sarah Glover <— Sheri recommends this one! “Grave Refrain is another great, great book. I found the author’s writing style to be similar to Sylvain Reynard’s & I loved, loved, loved the Gabriel books. Grave Refrain (by Sarah Glover) is a ghost/love story, but not a scary ghost story (I don’t like scary/horror stories). There’s romance, light humor, & light angst. It was a beautiful & awesome tale.” and Traci agrees: “Grave Refrain by Sarah Glover. Obsessed with Andrew. Kind of reminds me of Cole from the Shiver series.”
Haunted Love by Jessica Frances <— Kim says: “Yes you MUST read Haunted Love!!!!!! It was sooooooo good!!!!!!” <— Oooooooh!!! She was murdered but has a chance to come back… temporarily. “I wanted to say a proper goodbye. I needed justice for what happened to me. But even in death, things rarely go to plan. I never expected to meet him. I didn’t anticipate falling in love. I hadn’t considered the repercussions of coming back.”
The Last Hour (The Thompson Sisters Book 5) by Charles Sheehan-Miles <— JUST GORGEOUS!!!!! I’m not saying if it has an HEA or not… or exactly how “ghostly” the ghosts are… I’m just saying. OMG!!!! My heart!!!! And… my review.
Ghostly (Darkly Devoted Book 1) by Brooke Kennedy <— Briana recommends this one! “It’s reminds my of American horror story! Need more Tate.” Wow… it sounds exciting!! “Cade Michaels seems like the perfect boy next door. He’s attractive and the only other person in St. Augustine that sports the gothic style. The only thing is, there seems to be something he’s hiding, and Briar can’t quite put her finger on it. Briar never expected to end up in a haunted house ready to claim her for its own devices. It’s no longer easy to tell who’s alive and who’s not.”
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna Dressed in Blood Series Book 1) by Kendare Blake <— Kylie recommends it! “It’s more on the YA side, but I loved that it was told from the male’s POV, and the ghost is female :) ”
Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory Series Book 1) by Amy Harmon <— Carissa suggests these! “The Purgatory books by Amy Harmon. Love them!” Oh. Em. Gee. YES!!! “…17-year-old Maggie O’Bannon finally finds a permanent home with her elderly aunt in a small Texas town. Working part-time as a school janitor, she becomes enmeshed in a fifty-year-old tragedy where nothing is as it seems and the boy of her dreams might vanish when the bell rings. This volatile and mismatched romance is doomed from its start, as Maggie struggles to hold on to yet another person she is destined to lose…”
Apartment 2B by K. Webster <— Chris highly recommends this one! “OMG, do I have one for you!!!! Apartment 2B by K Webster. Read it last year and still think about it sometimes. Many similarities to “Where One Goes” (but better) which is the only other one I’ve read from this list. Yeah, really, really good.” Gah!! I LOVE THAT COVER! And! She’s abused by her mother but escapes… “When a handsome, yet mysterious stranger inserts himself into her life, Sidney begins to come apart at the seams. She’s having trouble sticking to her habits and it’s threatening to shred any hope of a normal life to pieces. Will this stranger help her in ways no other person can, or will things get worse for her?”
Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey <— Amy recommends this one! “Oh hey, I have a rec! Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey. Not really a “ghost story” and is more YA but still deals with the dead and is really good. Just try to read that blurb without your heart clenching. She didn’t think of what would happen once he was back, and when she finally realizes the repurcussions of what she’s done and now what she must decide to do…oh, my freaking heart!! That. One. Hurt.”
The Ghost Bride: A Novel (P.S.) by Yangsze Choo <— bev found it! “Duh! I have a book, too. The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo. Have not read it, so not sure how the ghost angle plays out, but very high on my tbr. On sale. Beautiful Cover.” OMG OMG OMG!!!!! This one sounds CRAZY and I LOVE asian ghost stories!!!!! But this??? WHOA. It’s on all sorts of bigs lists too. “Li Lan, the daughter of a genteel but bankrupt family, has few prospects. But fate intervenes when she receives an unusual proposal from the wealthy and powerful Lim family. They want her to become a ghost bride for the family’s only son, who recently died under mysterious circumstances. Rarely practiced, a traditional ghost marriage is used to placate a restless spirit. Such a union would guarantee Li Lan a home for the rest of her days, but at a terrible price.”
Where One Goes by B.N. Toler <— Laura recommends this one!!! “Maryse where one goes u had it in your release list acouple of weeks back its so sad but amazing I loved it!!! oh the heartbreak… ” WOW!!! She sees ghosts!!! And it’s freaking her out. “One minute, I’m about to leap to my death, and the next, I’m saved by Ike McDermott. The strong, striking soldier stopped me from putting an end to my despair. He’s the kind of man that smiles and brightens an entire room. Sweet and gentle. He is my savior. And he’s dead. We’ve made an agreement. He’ll help me find a place to stay and a new job if I’ll help him with his unfinished business so that he may crossover…”
Laura: It’s a must it’s a ugly cry one for me Amy will love it lol
Maryse: LOL!!!! Oh gosh… and she’ll throw things at us.
Laura: Well I will just get my peanuts ready now cause I know she hasn’t read this lol. Haha I will have to teach her some new Scottish cuss words so she can chew me out in a way I will understand lol oh u have to read it it’s sort of love triangley <– not even a word but it’s good she will like it
Lee: WHERE ONE GOES!!! ** grabs peanuts while looking at Maryse**
Kimberly: Where One Goes by Author B N Toler
Jeanie: Where One Goes by BN Toler!!! Soooo good!!!
Maryse: Ruh Roh… the peanuts are a flying!!!!
And here are some finds that sounds so perfect for us!
- The Ghost In My Bedroom by Heather Jones <— “Lucy Warner has managed to fall in love with her roommate Ryan – who has been dead for about 25 years. Since he’s been haunting her bedroom from the time when she was a baby, they have grown to be very close friends; a secret no one else knows about…”
- For Always by Janae Mitchell <— “Malyn Reed meets, and quickly falls in love with, Beau Brogan, who seems to be perfect in every way… Except for the fact that he died in 1910…” and Jamie recommends it!!
- The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse novel Book 1) by J.A. Templeton <— “Riley believes her life couldn’t get worse––that is until the ghost of nineteen-year-old Ian MacKinnon catches her purposely cutting herself. An uneasy truce quickly turns into friendship, and soon Riley’s falling hard for Ian.”
- Saving Mercy by Nicole Tillman <— she falls in love with the ghost in the place that she just moved into… ooooh I think I wanna cry already over this one!! “Mercy is convinced it’s her job to help Ryan cross over, but as she grows to know him, she’s not entirely sure she’s selfless enough to let him go. As they struggle through the complexities of their relationship, they realize that the collision of their worlds isn’t just coincidence. It’s fate.“
- Won’t Cross Over by Amanda Kay <— *sob*!!! OMG listen to this one: “He’s still here, I feel him all around. At night his arms wrap around me and I can breathe again. I know he should go. I know he no longer belongs here, but I’m selfish and I don’t want him to leave me.“
- Spiritus, a Paranormal Romance (Spiritus Series, Book #1) by Dana Michelle Burnett <— “Becca accidentally makes contact with a one hundred and sixty year old ghost, Alastor Sinclair, that haunts the halls of her new home.To Becca, Alastor is a seductive spirit that seems to see straight into her soul. To Alastor, Becca is what he has waited a century for–A second chance.“
- The House by Christina Lauren <— This one is a PRE-ORDER (October 27th 2015) but OMG tell me this isn’t an absolute one-clicker!!! “He lives in that house, the one at the edge of town. Spooky and maybe haunted. Something worse than haunted. And Gavin is trapped by its secrets. Delilah and Gavin can’t resist each other. But staying together will exact a price beyond their imagining.” Kim found it! “Ohhhhhh and this is one I pre-ordered and it sounds AMAZING!!!!!” and Amy agrees: Kim…wow, The House looks GOOD!!!! I’m preordering that one!!
And while we’re at it how about a few ghost-movie love stories?
- Ghost <— a true romance love story classic! Everyone has seen this, right???? If not… OMG WATCH IT!!!
- Just Like Heaven <— Bev recommends this one: “There is also Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon & Mark Ruffalo.” and I agree!! It was good, and I loved how the whole thing played out. Very smart!
- The Ghost and Mrs. Muir <— Another bev recommendation! She says: “You should give The Ghost & Mrs. Muir a shot. If you don’t mind old movies. It’s with Rex Harrison, Gene Tierney (that face!), and a young Natalie Wood. Hmm, review it, lol. Cause you know we don’t hound you to do enough just with books.” <— LOL! I do like movies and reviewing ‘em. Hmm… maybe I should do more of that?
- LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER <— And well… while we’re on a bev movie recommendation roll, why don’t we check out this recommendation, too! She says: “Speaking of Natalie Wood, she was in a movie with Steve McQueen (that face!) that if I remember correctly is a bit like some of the books we like in feeling. Though been along time since I’ve seen it. Its called Love with the Proper Stranger. I swear I read a book(or another movie?) were it was the heroines favorite and it was pointed out to her that maybe she should try a more realistic story, lol.“