He doesn’t want her… “The Unrequited Love Book Recommendations List”. But actually… it’s more than that. Here’s a REALLY great reader request that I wasn’t really able to answer. But I KNOW where she’s coming from with this.
Do you remember my first and favorite from Kristen Ashley? Tate from “Sweet Dreams“? Do you remember that *oomph* when we (I mean… she) first saw him. And do you remember that punch to the gut when she overhead him… disgruntled about her being around?
Gah!!! I was HOOKED. How DARE HE!!??? And oh boy, I wanted her to so prove a point. Prove him wrong. And every step of the way, I loved every moment of them. I didn’t expect his nonchalance and in fact, so obvious disinterest in her, and I didn’t expect that pain right off that bat. After all. Screw him! Who is he?!! He doesn’t know us! I mean her. Right? But we hurt anyway, didn’t we?
And so did Fatima. There was a certain “feel” to the book she’s using as a suggestion (Sweet Dreams), that had me addicted AT ONCE, and I want more like this, too. That feel of being attracted to somebody, that instant infatuation, he takes your breath away, and… he doesn’t even notice you. Or worse. He notices you, and doesn’t pay you any attention. Or worse yet. He notices you, pays you attention but it’s… not the good kind. And there was that burning sort of… “jealousy” too.
I get exactly what she’s asking. If you’ve read this, you know what we’re wanting.
For this list, we want the reality of unrequited crushes (and even better… books that have a more mature feel than just “unrequited crushes”). We want the one where the guy had no real interest in the heroine at first. We want books that have that initial punch to the gut. The hurt. We want the personal growth. The resistance, and the insistence. And then maybe… HIS chase. Or our chase.
And Fatima? I actually have another from Kristen Ashley where the guy at first… barely notices the girl. It’s called RAID. YEARS of it. And YEARS of her “being” where he usually is… just in case he stops by. Just in case he *might* notice her this time. It had that same realistic edge:
It was silly but I couldn’t let go of the hope that one day, he’d walk in, look at me, and maybe pop by my table to have a chat where I would boggle his mind with my brilliance. I’d charm him with my manner. Then he’d ask me out on a date. At the end of which, maybe, hopefully, I’d finally be able to touch his hair (amongst other things).
This never happened.
We want more!! We wanna work for it! :D
Here’s Fatima’s request:
Fatima: Hiiiii!!!! Maryse, and whoever else.. Help?! – well – this is crazy.. But I’m looking for books. Where, the lead female is in love / likes a guy who has another woman / love interest in his life … AND books similar to, say, kristen ashleys – sweet dreams… As we know, Tate called L Fat…, so I’m also looking for books where the guy has been particularly mean / jerky / a$$holish / insulting to the heroin.. Please please help with titles!
Maryse’s Book Blog: Oh I like this!!!! I want to know them too. They are kind of few and far between….
Fatima: *sigh* I know!! And as much as I like reading books with teens and the younger gen … I prefer books with characters that are a little older.. Love them.. For some reason they seem way way, more.. – call me nuts but I totally dig the whole get jealous scenes.. *shrugs* & oh well.. To whoever reads this and helps, thanks!
Maryse’s Book Blog: Me too!!!! Let’s hope we get some bites.
Fatima: *prays and hopes like hell* & yes I know that’s sorta contradictory haha
Claudia: I don’t know if you read any one of these (they are very good):”Reaper’s Property”, “Undeniable”, “Consequences” ..?
Fatima: Thanks jeannie! I’m definitely gonna check it out. I started consequences (maryse I checked your review out on it) and OMG! – I want to kill him!!.. (I’m only like in the 3rd chapter) I assumed that maybe his like Caleb from the dark duet.. But, but.. *sputters* argh!
Traci: Have you read Broken by Megan Hart? I don’t think it’s exactly what you’re looking for, but definitely a twist on what you’re looking for. I really enjoyed it!
All good suggestions. So… does anyone have any more?
- Reaper’s Property by Joanna Wylde (see Book Review)
- Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan <— Yes ’cause he was so much older and she had a cute girl-crush. (see my Book Review)
- Unbeautifully (Undeniable: Book Two) by Madeline Sheehan <— definite resistance ’cause she was the prez’s daughter. No way a brother of his status should *be* with her. (see Book Review)
- Unattainable (Undeniable: Book Three) by Madeline Sheehan <— He was def. not into her AT all. “It’s not like that for me…” GAH! (see my review)
- The Nature of Cruelty by L.H. Cosway <— I think I heard that he’s her “bully”…
- Broken by Megan Hart <— kind of… yes. He shares his *exploits* with her… and she crushes on him privately. (see my Book Review)
- Bully (Fall Away #) by Penelope Douglas (see my Book Review) <— Nicole suggest this one: “Another book that might fit into this list is maybe the Bully by Penelope Douglas (I mean they were friends and he bullies her for most of her high school years)”
- Perfection (A Neighbor From Hell) by R.L. Mathewson <— Nicole suggests this one, and I must agree. They are neighbors and she’s not really his type… (my review)
- Breathe (Colorado Mountain) by Kristen Ashley <— Lori suggests this one saying: “Breathe kinda has that going on. The h is in love with the H for years, and doesn’t think he notices her, though he’s not an a-hole to her.”
- For You (The ‘Burg Series) by Kristen Ashley <— suggested by Amber “For You also by Kristen Ashley would fit the bill as well”
- At Peace (The ‘Burg Series) by Kristen Ashley (see my review) <— Jennifer suggests this one “I fell so hard for Joe in At Peace” – YES!! I remember… he was kind of a “one-nighter” type with her (see my Book Review)
- Motorcycle Man (Dream Man) by Kristen Ashley <— Jennifer also suggests “Tack in Motorcycle Man … They all had a “jerk” mentality. I just love an intense book jerk, especially one that eventually comes around in a big way!” - but of course! Total player… sort of. Another “one night stand” heart-break… and his reasoning for it *ooof!!!* (see my Book Review)
- Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain) by Kristen Ashley <— Jennifer and Rebecka suggest this one, Rebecka saying: “Or when Ty told Lexi that all p*ssy comes with chains. Actually I think it’s worse becaus it IS a series so we get to live and breathe the characters longer. I love me some KA so I feel confident in the comparison. If that’s the feeling she’s looking for this series will totally work.” (see my Book Review)
- Law Man (Dream Man) by Kristen Ashley <— suggested by Paula.
- Rock Chick Revenge by Kristen Ashley <— suggested by Paula.
- Back to You by Priscilla Glenn <— suggested by Paula. (Here is my review)
- Rock Me by Cherrie Lynn <— Also recommended by Paula. Actually a pretty good suggestion… long-time crush on this tattooed hottie. One of my ALL time favorite books, and while he wasn’t a jerk to her, there was some incredible pining here. LOVE LOVE LOVE! (See my Book Review)
- Heller by J.D. Nixon <— Rebecka also suggests this: “Have you read the Heller series. It’s hard to compare because it’s not one thing he says to her but there’s definitely a pattern of assh*le over the course of the series that beaks my heart the way Tate did when he called Laurie fat.” (see the Heller Series Reading Order)
- Tempting the Best Man (A Gamble Brothers Novel) (Entangled Brazen) by J. Lynn <— another recommendation from Paula.
- Fallen Too Far by Abbi Glines <— suggested by Catherine (Yep! This one’s a “new adult” novel but he’s a jerk and she’s made to feel very badly. Hurt! So fun! – see Book Review)
- Into the Deep by Samantha Young <— Catherine suggests this one, too.
- Avoiding Commitment (Avoiding Series) by K.A. Linde <— recommended by Kelsey. Oh I must agree. My heart was torn out a million times in this one! (my Book Review)
- Groupie by Ginger Voight <— Kelsey also suggests this “”How about Groupie/ Rockstar/Mogul by Ginger Voight? Fits right into this category”. ABSOLUTELY!! Talk about disappointment and pain! (my Book Review)
- Man of My Dreams by Faith Andrews <— Juana suggests this one: “Man of my Dreams by Faith Andrews fits into this category, I’m really enjoying the read u may want to add it to your TBR”
- Hostile Takeover (Knights of the Board Room) by Joey W. Hill <— another suggestion by Catherine
- Everything I’ve Never Had by Lynetta Halat <— Bobbie recommends this one! “You must read Everything I’ve Never Had by Lynetta Halat. This book it’s your mood perfectly!! Adrian and Celeste have just the cure for you!!!” (ohhh look! “…a forbidden attraction between the widow and her husband’s bad boy cousin, Adrian.“
- Paradise by Judith Mcnaught <— Kristina recommends this one: “One of my all time favorites is Paradise by Judith McNaught. 4.3 rating over 13,000 votes on Goodreads.”
- Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet: Book 1) by CJ Roberts <— Kristina recommends this series (and while I’ve seen this more as a super-dark series, he definitely was a jerk for a very looong time. Yes!
- Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips <— Amy recommends this one: “…As humorless as he is deadly handsome, he drags the irrepressible Daisy away from her uptown life and sets out to tame her.“
- Georgina Kincaid Series by Richelle Mead <– Kristina recommends this one for this list, too.
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins <— and Kristina recommends this one.
- What Price Paradise by Katherine Allred <— recommended by Erica, saying: “…not the ultimate a$$hole but he loves someone else…” – just read the synopsis and OMG this sounds angsty!
- Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren <— Lindsay suggests this one and…
- Accidentally on Purpose by L.D. Davis <— this one, saying, “Those two had some a$$holish men in them.”
- Me Before You: A Novel by JoJo Moyes <— suggested by Day (see my review) and she also suggests:
- Rock and Roll Never Forgets (The Rock and Roll Trilogy) by Barbara Stewart
- The Unwanted Wife by Natasha Anders <— Kim said: “Hey Maryse how about Unwanted wife that was a good one.”
- Until Fountain Bridge: (InterMix) by Samantha Young <— suggested by Laura
- The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger <— sneumann says “very good book”