Amy is our resident goofball, total instigator, snort-maker (’cause of all the crazy stuff she says and blames it on her autocorrect), our stuffed manatee caretaker, our big hearted bartender, and our girly make-up lover!! She’s a girl after my own reading heart, ’cause she loves the sob-inducers and the angsty romance heartbreakers just like I do!
And she has compiled a list of her absolute FAVORITE books just for us! And even told us why on each of ‘em!!! YAY!! P.S. I’ve read most of these and she is SO RIGHT!!! I love ‘em too, like CRAZY!!! I almost feel like bein’ bad and tagging my name in the title with Amy’s LOL!! Alas… this is Amy’s list and I must say… she has FABULOUS book-taste!
Amy: Okay, so here it is…um, it’s a little long-winded but is that any surprise? Nope, didn’t think so. *snort*
I don’t know that I could narrow down a list of my favorite five-star books of all time to just a few, and you know as well as I do that we can have five-star books that we LOVE but after a bit of time really don’t remember all that much of them, only that we loved them.
So, the way I narrowed my list was to pick books which have for whatever reason just STUCK with me. It could be because of angst (which is *always* a great thing!), because they were devastating but wonderful, because of a truly blind-siding twist, or maybe they were just the first of that genre that made an impact on me. These are the books which I think about months or even years after reading them, or I repeatedly relive certain scenes in my mind, or I have even gone back and re-read certain parts just because I wanted to experience it all over again. I remember the characters names and certain events so clearly, and just a single thought about some of them can make me want to cry all over again. They may or may not have been five star reads for me, but they ALL have my heart. And I’m hoping there’s something for everyone from my list!
Oh, and let’s just get the obvious ones that are favorites among us out of the way…yes, that’s my way of getting around the limit I set for myself: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (because, um, TRAVIS!!); Love Unscripted by Tina Reber (my first ever and most-loved celebrity story); Experiment in Terror series by Karina Halle (love y’all so much for getting me to read it!); The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski, which was just beautiful; The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay, also just beautiful; Transcendence by Shay Savage (a freaking caveman stole my heart!); Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward (I. Love. Z.); The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning (*sigh* Barrons the sexy jerk); and Archer’s Voice by Mia Sheridan…yeah, that one just needs no explanation.
1. Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens – Holy freaking mother of all exhausting and painful angst!!!!
2. The Covenant Series by Jennifer Armentrout – Aiden in this series is my Edward and always will be. Yep, that’s how much I love him. He’s a pure and she’s a half-blood, they have crazy chemistry, and them being together would mean her being pretty much drugged, enslaved and abused. Yeah. How the heck could that ever work out…
3. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma – Taboo but not cringe-worthy. Ripped my f&$%ing heart out.
4. Arsen by Mia Asher – The *realness* of it just broke my heart. That scene with Kathy, her dad and Ben in the coffee shop all the way to the epilogue…I’ve re-read that section SEVERAL times.
5. Accidentally on Purpose by L.D. Davis – Delicious love triangle ANGST!!!
6. Until the End of the World by Sarah Lyons Fleming – Post apocalyptic with zombies, and I’m STILL devastated by stuff that happened in the second book even months later despite the great wrap-up of the series.
7. The Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley – My first KA book. LAHN!!
8. Tristan & Danika series by R.K. Lilley – What a beautifully broken but amazing couple with a train wreck of a story. I swear those two still put butterflies in my tummy.
9. Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid – I loved how different the plot and delivery was. We know he dies at the beginning (no spoiler there) but I fell in love with him AFTER he died, and I wasn’t expecting that.
10. The Avoiding Series by K.A. Linde – ANGST!! Ohhhhh, Jack was a pr!ck. I couldn’t believe how things changed over the course of the series, and the last book went in a direction I wasn’t expecting…and it actually worked!!
11. Rainfall by Melissa Delport – The twist. Oh, you’ll think you know the twist…but you don’t. And you won’t see it coming. And it will kick your gut into your heart and both will get stuck in your throat.
12. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick – The *perfect* blend of YA and NA feelings. It was just perfect in every way. I’d group it with Eleanor and Park. Yeah, I went there.
13. Insanity by Lauren Hammond – Mind fu-…er, mind messery. Heartbreaking. Made me want to stomp my feet and kick the wall and throw a tantrum in the hopes that things wouldn’t be the way they actually were. Books 2 and 3 aren’t necessary to read. Just…trust me.
Can I add one more? I had debated whether or not to include it, but not enough ladies have read it so it needs some attention again…and I know it worked you over a bit, too! But we love that, right?
14. Drowning Instinct by Ilsa Bick – With all the teacher/student books out there, this one definitely stands out as so many things are different in it from typical T/S books. It caught me up in the gray area between right and wrong, knowing I shouldn’t want it for them and yet wanting it for them anyway but with a heavy heart. It’s a tough read but sooooo worth it. I can’t say it any better than the blurb does, that it’s “…a novel of pain, deception, desperation, and love against the odds – and the rules.” For me, it’s the closest I’ve found to the feels of Forbidden…nowhere NEAR as intense and not the exact same feels but similar nonetheless.*hugs*
Told ya it was long-winded.
*great big squeezy hug*
Do you have a “Top Favorite Books” list? Don’t forget to send me yours!! I post one every Saturday (send it here: http://www.maryse.net/contact-me). You can make it just a list (top 10 or more) but if you want to include a tiny (or longer) tidbit next to each one about why you loved it, that would be awesome, too!