Countdown to 2016 bring us Michelle’s list! Yes, we have two Michelle’s in our group (and probably more, LOL!!!) which is why we can differentiate with the extra initials. She’s another fellow book-stalker from our “peanut gallery” , and all around great-taste-in-books reader and what I love is that she recommends so MANY genres, and we’re just LOVING them!
Here’s Michelle’s list of 2015 favorites, and she gives us some great book quotes, too!
“After actually listing my top reads for the year, I would say my tastes have been pretty eclectic. I guess the genre doesn’t matter for me; a good book is a good book! I borrowed Bev’s format with the quotes, which I thought was fun Oh and narrowing down any book list is painful for me (*cringes* just thinking about making an all-time favorite list), so you are getting 18 in no particular order. Enjoy and keep the recommendations coming because quite of few of them are below!”
1) Illuminae (The Illuminae Files) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. <— “I have to share my utter excitement over Illuminae! … it’s in my top 10 for the year and will likely climb if the pace keeps up…just OMG I’ve never read anything like it!”
“Interviewer: So. Tell me about your mother. Ezra: You’re taping this, right? Interviewer: Audio only. Camera is faulty. Ezra: Okay, well for the benefit of the sight-impaired, I am now raising my…oh, dear…yes, it’s my MIDDLE finger at Mr. Postgrad here. Interviewer: Mr. Mason… Ezra: Now I’m wiggling it. Interviewer: Terminating interview at 13:58 on 03/19/75. Ezra: Look at it wiggl- -audio ends-”
2) Land of the Beautiful Dead by R. Lee Smith. <— “…you HAVE to read The Land of the Beautiful Dead. I loved both, and not just saying it to get you to read it, but TLotBD impacted me even more (which is saying a lot). It’s really harsh though in parts…painfully gritty and real. All this talk has decided my next book for me, going with Heat by Smith too. I really intend to read everything she has published.”
“She put her arms around him and pressed her brow to his, pressed hard. ‘I want you to miss me when I’m gone. Not for a thousand years or a million, but all of them, until there’s no more way to count them.’ “
3) Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass series) by Sarah J. Maas <— “…yessss I’m obsessed after Queen of Shadows which was 5* for me! I’m loving the fae hunk… thought it was the best book in the series and Rowan is just *fans myself*”
“She looked at them, at the three males who meant everything – more than everything. Then she smiled with every last shred of courage, of desperation, of hope for the glimmer of that glorious future. ‘Let’s go rattle the stars.’ “
4) Without Words by Ellen O’Connell <— “Without Words was the standout for me though…soooo good, just great pacing and I was right there in the story…gem of a find Bev thank you!”
“She laughed, felt him inhale her laughter. ‘You have the most beautiful laugh. It runs up and down my spine, shivers over my skin, and makes me want to grab hold of you like a mad man.’ “
5) Kulti by Mariana Zapata <— “…absolutely loved it! Yes Sal was the star for me but Kulti, for a man of little words, had some goosebump-inducing, swoon-worthy moments! I do not even really like soccer but it was not even a factor in connecting with the story at all. I wanted to start something new today but I’m finding that I want to stay with their story a little longer and nothing is looking good…another indicator for me that I just read a great one!”
“Dear God. A man like that making kissing sounds at what I could only guess was his baby. My vagina, my vagina didn’t know what to do with itself.”
6) The Deal (Off-Campus Book 1) by Elle Kennedy.
“I never expected her. Sometimes people sneak up on you and suddenly you don’t know how you ever lived without them.”
7) Magic Shifts: A Kate Daniels Novel by Ilona Andrews <— “Oh and can I just SQUEEEEE for a moment over Magic Shifts! That powerhouse team knows how to write an entertaining top-notch urban fantasy! Now I have to switch genres completely because nothing will stand up to that!”
” ‘Does everybody think I am an asshole?’ Curran asked. ‘Only people who know you or have met you.’ “
8) Menagerie (The Menagerie Series Book 1) by Rachel Vincent <— “Ok Menagerie I have to plug…it was dark, wonderfully unique, thought-provoking and had me sucked in from go! If Vincent can keep up the pace, the trilogy should be awesome! It’s a little like The Others series in that there are humans and cryptids (anything not human such as minotaurs, mermaids, centaurs, shifters, ifrits etc.) in this world. After an event called ‘the reaping,’ where human children were replaced with cryptid imposters, cryptids are persecuted, enslaved, treated as property or pets within the US. Delilah, the main character, finds herself captured and put on display in a traveling menagerie despite not knowing she was a cryptid or ‘what’ she is…it’s a pretty neat ‘what’ too! The story is sooo intriguing and just cool. I’ve blabbed on enough but I really recommend it for a bunch on here that like paranormal and ‘different’ paranormal like The Others. There’s no romance but maybe some potential, still I didn’t miss it one bit. Read it, read it! ”
“But if monsters could look like humans, and humans could look like monsters, how could anyone ever really be sure that the right people stood on the outside of all those cages?”
9) Confess: A Novel by Colleen Hoover <— “I was left with a beautiful, quivering in your chest happy feeling at the end of Confess. The confession concept and artwork were genius! I loved the play on colors in certain parts. I loved the impact of some lines with their honest simplicity. I loved Owen for being just a good guy and not some alpha male jerk. I loved Auburn for all her bad choices and later her determination and selflessness. The feeling I was left with reminded me how I felt at the end of The Sea of Tranquility. Wonderful book!”
“I’m afraid if I listen to my heart once, I’ll never figure out how to ignore it again.”
10) Vision In Silver: A Novel of the Others by Anne Bishop.
” ‘Can I feel your fur?’ he asked. ‘It’s not fur; it’s hair.’ ‘Uh-huh. Can I feel it?’ “
11) Golden Son (The Red Rising Trilogy, Book 2) by Pierce Brown <— “I’m having a freak out over the ending of Golden Son! …I’m shocked…bloodydamn sums it up!”
“Let him think he owns me. Let him welcome me into his house, so I might burn it down.”
12) The Tairen Soul Series by C.L. Wilson <— “After finishing the Tairen Soul series which is now going to be a standard against which I measure future fantasy reads… I LOVE them so much that I could not stop after the first one! It’s a brilliant world she has constructed…vivid characters…amazing plot…I can’t gush enough!”
“When he caught his breath, he regarded her with glowing, half-closed eyes. ‘If I’m very, very good, shei’tani, will you do that again when we’re alone?’ “
13) The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel <— “…excited about how different it is!”
“While she looked beyond, he caught a glimpse, not of the future, but of a sense of future. A future that was hers, but not his. He grasped the concept imperfectly, but he understood the potential of it, and quailed before it.”
14) My Time in the Affair by Stylo Fantome.
“I was drunk on him. High on him. I wanted to swallow him down, inhale him, inject him. I wanted him to live under my skin and change my DNA. I wanted to live in his air and breathe his passion.”
15) Pure Abandon by Jeannine Colette <— “WHOA…I’m very pleasantly surprised by Pure Abandon! …the last half was a landslide of emotion and angst and just WOW…absolutely could not put it down! Anyone who liked Arsen this was very close to those feels for me and I LOVED it! I also thought I had it figured out but was wrong about a lot. I loved My Time in the Affair but for those who thought you didn’t get to know both men enough to feel conflicted, Pure Abandon nails it and oh how the ending is a happy heartbreak! Floating in a book fog for sure!”
” ‘I. Want. You. Kathryn. I want you. I want you. I want you!’ “
16) Pretty Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 3) by Anne Frasier.
” ‘It’s not Strata Luna,’ David said, amusement in his voice. ‘I would list all the reasons Avery might have for being in love with you, but you wouldn’t believe me.’ “
17) Jezebel by K. Larsen <— “Umm yeah I loved Jezebel but I just can. not. do the novella now. I need to digest and honestly I like some unanswered questions…a tidy perfectly wrapped up ending would have taken away from the book. …do not be scared, the ending was just shocking! It’s the best kind of psychological mystery/thriller/romance I’ve read since…You by Caroline Kepnes but with a heavier lean towards romance and mystery.”
” ‘You talk in riddles,’ she complained. ‘And you don’t listen hard enough,’ Jezebel scolded.”
18) Hollywood Dirt by Alessandra Torre <— “…just loved Hollywood Dirt – refreshing, funny, sexy!”
“She brushed off her hands and grabbed her purse, setting off for the back porch with purpose. On the ground, Cocky squawked his indignation at being left. ‘Hush,’ Cole chided him. ‘You’ve already gotten more play than me.’ “