Oh I know… this is torturous. It’s so hard to pick only ONE favorite, when sometimes we all have an absolute favorite from multiple genres. Kind of hard to compare the best apple to the best orange. I get it.
But I’m going there, anyway. PICK ONLY ONE. *snort*
MichelleS: Everyone picks just ONE… this list is a serious keeper – need to bookmark this page ASAP!
Sharon: It’s like Sophie’s Choice! So many more books to read.
Grey: Wow, Maryse girl… You ain’t playing! Only allowed to pick one favorite??? I don’t want to cheat, but I have a couple favorites for different themes/moods. I have to think on this some more… but LOVE this idea, all of the ones I haven’t read are totally going on my TBR!
bev: That’s just a mean question.
LOL bev!!!! Can’t help it. I want this to be the reader “best of the best”!! This way, all of us that haven’t read it yet… we’re certain to go on an amazing reading ride if it’s YOUR absolute favorite. And so I asked it first, on Facebook:
Maryse: So far… what was your absolute FAVORITE (only 1!!) book for 2016?
Mine? Colleen Hoover’s “It Ends with Us” (and trust me, I have others that I CRAZY-LOVED). But since I am forcing all of us to choose ONLY one, that is mine.
Also, for your selection… tell me why?
Elle: Mine was It Ends with Us: A Novel, too! It’s such a powerful story
Shalyn: Same! I loved that book.
Charity: It Ends With Us as well. I could feel her pain literally … I felt like the characters were playing out right in front of me!! I never thought I would love another CoHo book as much as I loved Slammed but this one blew me away!!
Tiffany: Same! It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover the best book!!
Sarah: I have to agree with you Maryse, It Ends with Us, was just so powerful, it spoke on so many levels, the need to be strong and change a pathway. So incredibly emotional – it stayed with me.
Melody: Same, It Ends With Us
Amber: It Ends With Us. And I read a lot of really great books this year, but this one was in a league of its own. I cried reading it and cried just telling my friend about it. It was a real eye-opener.
LeslieM: My fave 2016 is It Ends With Us. I have to pick that one based on the extreme emotions that gave me. I haven’t had that much stress/anxiety/tears over a book in years.
Pia: This is not easy – definitely Colleen Hoover but Too Late or It Ends With Us??? Okay I go with It Ends With Us
- An Exaltation of Larks by Suanne Laqueur <— Marissa says: “I can’t even put into words how much I loved that book. I can try but I won’t do it justice. It’s this beautifully layered, sometimes messy, interwoven life journey of some of the best characters ever written”
Maryse: This is my second most favorite. Ooooh it was hard to choose between my 4 most favorites this year.
Tracie: Exaltation of Larks by Suanne Laqueur. It’s truly one of the best books I’ve ever read. Characters you’ll fall in love with and root for, exquisite writing, off the chart feels. I’m still not over it and it’s been weeks.
Marissa: I know this feeling so well!
Robyn: I’m going with An Exhaltation of Larks also. The message it sent to me was so powerful. The writing so beautiful and the relationships so heart touching. It left such an impact on me I had to buy the paperback for my library.
Jeri: An Exaltation of Larks for me
Sharon: An Exaltation of Larks!
Karin: Definitely Exaltation of Larks. Can’t get it out of my head and I read it weeks ago.
Runners up (These are all published in 2016, read in 2016):
- A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses Book 2) by Sarah J. Maas
- The Hating Game: A Novel by Sally Thorne
- Royally Screwed (The Royally Series Book 1) by Emma Chase
Kelli agrees! “ A Court of Mist and Fury!”
April: A Court of Mist and Fury
Sherry: Definitely A Court of Mist and Fury because…. Rhys
Sally: A court of mist and fury
Nicole: A Court of Mist and Fury
Beth: A Court of Mist and Fury, hands down.
Jeannie: I can’t choose between two of my favorites for 2016, so I’m going to list them both. I absolutely loved A Court of Mist and Fury – everything changed in this book, and I loved it! I couldn’t put it down and I cannot wait for the sequel. The other one I love is The Hating Game. So good and just different. It was perfection!
- Empire of Storms (Throne Of Glass Series Book 5) by Sarah J. Maas <— Theresa chooses THIS one!!
“Oh Maryse…to only choose ONE…GAHHH…that is so challenging…well, since Court of Mist and Fury is already up there, and that is what came to my mind immediately; I will choose a different one…same author though and that is Empire of Storms by Sarah Maas…the world building, character development, plot twists, and that ending…OMG talk about a cliffhanger!”
- A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole <— Amanda and Nancy chose this one
Nancy: A 1000 Boy Kisses by Author Tillie Cole!
Joanna: For me its a thousand boy kisses by tillie cole
Michelle: Mine as well
- A Promise of Fire (The Kingmaker Chronicles Book 1) by Amanda Bouchet <— Andrea chose this one
- The Bird and the Sword by Amy Harmon <— Kathleen’s (and Katie and Karin’s) choice!
Katie: Just read the blurb… and I have no words.
Karin: Amy Harmon’s The Bird and the Sword.
- From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon. <— Dana says: “Beautiful, heart-wrenching, powerful and unforgettable story”
Becky: I just finished this one. Amazing!!!!!
Krystle: From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon… I’ve broken out into different genres this year tho and I’ve read a lot of really amazing books. I haven’t read as much as I’d like but those that I have read have been !!!Acacia: I just finished From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon, that one is mine for the year.
- Deep Redemption (Hades Hangmen Book 4) by Tillie Cole <— Suzi’s favorite.
- The Last Hour of Gann by R. Lee Smith <— Jan chooses THIS one!!!
Jan: My #1 read for 2016 is The Last Hour of Gann by R. Lee Smith. A unique and quite profound sci-fi/ post-apocalyptic/ romance/ adventure.
MichelleS: I would have said Last Hour of Gann, but I technically read it Nov or Dec 2015 – and then went a bit nuts at the beginning of the year over it. It might have taken me that long to read it. It’s a LOOOOONG book. But so worth it.
- Wolfsong by T.J. Klune <— MANY choose THIS one! Like MichelleS:
MichelleS: Just ONE???? Argh….. okay fine…. WOLFSONG! I will never forget these characters, the werwolf lore, the story… the FEELS… just loved the heck out of this book.
Fabi: Everybody already knows, but mine is Wolfsong for uniqueness. Unique story, unique characters and unique writing.
R: But Wolfsong…that book is in my skin like a rash. It’s sitting under my Christmas tree right now and it’s killing me not to open it and put it on my pretty new shelves. ONE MORE DAY. The phrase “kid at Christmas” really means something when you love books.
Lori: Are you over it yet? Lol
Suanne: No. I don’t want to get over it
Kandace: Howls! It’s one of mine too!
- A Love Letter to Whiskey! <— Maria chose this one!
“Soooooo many choices! I guess I will go with the one that gave me the biggest book hangover. That was A Love Letter to Whiskey!”
- Nine Minutes <— Stephanie’s #1!
“Im going to have to say Nine Minutes (The Nine Minutes Trilogy Book 1) by Beth Flynn. I could not put it down. I’m currently on the 2nd in the series! Absolutely one heck of a book! If you haven’t read it go one click on kindle its free right now.”
- Too Late by C. Hoover <— Ella says: “Colleen’s Too Late.”
- American Queen by Sierra Simone <— Betty chose this one!
- Where One Goes by BN Toler <— Kathe chooses this one
- Sebring (The Unfinished Heroes Series Book 5) by Kristen Ashley <— Bethany says: “That’s so hard!!! I’ll have to say Sebring by Kristen Ashley!!”
- Sunset Park (Five Boroughs Book 2) by Santino Hassell <— Terri’s choice!
Terri: Santino Hassell’s Sunset Park. I absolutely love and admire his edgy, urban writing style and in this book he creates this character who is rough around the edges, tough and slightly messed up. This character completely got under my skin and I loved his rocky romantic journey.
- The King’s Men (All for the Game Book 3) by Nora Sakavic <— Ann-Theres chose this one saying:
“I must say “The Kings men” by Nora Sacavic, Third book in the Foxhole court series. I couldnt stop thinking of it, and have read the series 3-4 times in under a month, and even now, a couple og month later, I still have to talk myself out of reading it again… I just never have read a story with so intense and REAL development in the caracters.. Everything was soo realistic, with how they startet out, and how it ended. Usually nowadays it always ends a little bit of too sappy, the heroine got over her anger a little to fast, etc etc… But the Foxhole court was just, real… the only downside is that the first book is a liitle boring. Mostly in the beginning.”
- The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata <— Giseli: The wall of Winnipeg and me by Mariana Zapata.
Sally: …the wall of winnipeg and me BUT Mariana Zapata releases a new book tomorrow so this could still change
Peggy: The Wall of Winnepeg
Vicki: For me it was The Wall of Winnipeg and Me absolutely love that book
- Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas <— Rachelle’s choice!
Kim: Punk 57 because it gave me the Bully feels
- White Lies (The Black and White Duet Book 2) by Piper Payne <— Jamie-Lee says:
White Lies by Piper Payne. Real, heart wrenching, angsty, and the perfect sequel. It’s a survivor’s story and I loved every word.
- Unseen Messages by Pepper Winters <— Shelly’s choice!
- Bright Side by Kim Holden <— Leeann says: “I know it’s not from this year but since I read it this year, I would have to say Bright Side. That book stayed with me for a long time.”
- Guitar Face: Guitar Face Series Book One by Sasha Marshall <— Tracey chose this one saying:
“Guitar Face by Sasha Marshall, I read the whole series but book 1 is where is started, from the first 2 lines of Chapter 1, I was hooked I felt a connection to the characters when one was hurt you feel it inside and want to punch something, when they are happy you feel their happiness, it isn’t easy to make a story feel so real but Sasha does this.”
- A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty: A Novel by Joshilyn Jackson <— Bonnie chooses this one! “A Grown Up Kind of Pretty by the incomparable Joshilyn Jackson”
- Me Before You: A Novel by Jojo Moyes <— Rachel says: “Me Before You. I read it after seeing the movie….so, so much better than the movie even though the movie was amazing! Absolutely loved it!! … Also, there is a sequel called After You…which was wonderful because it provides some emotional closure that I needed badly after the 1st book!”
- Darkest Before Dawn (A Guardian’s Diary Book 1) by Amelia Hutchins <— Kristin chooses this one!
“Darkest before dawn by Amelia Hutchins. I couldnt put it down and cant wait for the next one.”
- Full Tilt by Emma Scott <— And this is Sarah’s “Soooo many great books this year but I loved Full tilt by Emma Scott”
- Kings Rising: Book Three of the Captive Prince Trilogy by C.S. Pacat <— Rebecca’s choice! She says:
“Hmmm, lots of favourites, but my 5 stars have mostly been mostly fantasy this year. It’s hard to choose between A Court of mist and fury, or King’s Rising, it’s so cruel to choose!! OK, King’s Rising, of the Captive Prince Trilogy by CS Pacat, was the perfect conclusion of the series, and I finished it hugging my book. So, so beautiful!! It’s an m/m fantasy trilogy, very unique, with a very slow burn over 3 books, completely unpredictable, and oh so passionate and loving in this last book. Swoon, just thinking about it!!”
- Honesty by Seth King <— Angie can’t choose either… She says:
- All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel by Bryn Greenwood <— Kristen chooses this one!
Kristen: All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. No, wait. It ends with us. Wait. I changed my mind. Dark Matter: A Novel. No. now I’m back to All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. Obviously, I’m bad at this.
Frannie: All the Ugly and wonderful things. Hands down.
Kristen: Yeah…I think I’m going to stick with that one. It’s just so hard to pick 1
Kristen: See…my dilemma. Yeah totally. I’m pretty tied at It Ends with Us and All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. Dark Matter is right behind. Those all stayed with me. A Court of Mist and Fury is 4. But 5th…ugh. I’m debating like 4 different books. I’m bad at deciding.
Sandra: All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. Didn’t even think twice.
- The Martian: A Novel by Andy Weir <— Tiffany chooses these!
Tiffany: That’s hard. That’s what she said. *sorry Michael Scott influence. I think I’ll have to go with The Martian. I’ve read some brilliant books but that one stands out. The Serpent King was excellent also.
Mary: I loved The Serpent King too!!
- America’s First Daughter: A Novel by Laura Kamoie <— Mary’s favorite! “I read several books in 2016 that I loved. But my favorite was America’s First Daughter by Laura Kamoie (Laura Kaye). Loved it!!”
- Stanton Series Box Set: Stanton Series (Box Set) by T.L. Swan <— Lisa says this is the one for her! This one is forbiddeny!!!
“Omg!! How can I possibly list one. I scrolled through my books on kindle & iBooks & each one I said to myself loved it loved it loved it every one!! So the one that stands out & the story is still so clear in my head after the hundreds of books I read this year is The Stanton Series by T.L. Swan.”
- A Bird on a Windowsill by Laura Miller <— Fernanda loved this one!
“A bird on a windowsill by Laura Miller”
- HOT HOLLYWOOD – THE COMPLETE SERIES: An Alpha Billionaire Romance by Madisyn Ashmore <— Esme chooses this one!
I loved It Ends with Us, too. What a hard choice. My favorite was probably the Hot Hollywood series by Madisyn Ashmore. I finally read Jamie McGuire’s A Beautiful Funeral the other day and I loved that, too. She never disappoints me…
- Inarticulate by Eden Summers <— Northernstar snuck a few in for us. But specifically chose this one. LOL!
- Keeper (The Dynasty Saga Book 1) by Amanda Ryan <— Marcia chooses this one!
- Marked In Flesh (A Novel of the Others Book 4) by Anne Bishop <— Tessa says:
“I’m sticking with Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop. You know it must have enthralled me to beat out Court of Mist and Fury. Both were good and twisty. I think the only reason I was so in love with Marked in Flesh is some stuff I’ve been wanting to happen did. And, no. Not that. Though stuff in that area too.”
- Sebring (The Unfinished Heroes Series Book 5) by Kristen Ashley <— Roopali struggled to choose but decided on this one!
“I have read only 3 books 4m da above (fantastic/some are in my TBR list) list..thousand boy kisses..sebring. The wall of Winnipeg and me…still I am soooooo confused and struggling to decide which I loved best…Sigh!!! Hmmmm my choice sebring by Kristen Ashley.”
- The Man I Love (The Fish Tales Book 1) by Suanne Laqueur <— R and Kandace choose this one!
R: The Man I Love was my favorite book I read this year, and my favorite book ever. I found a coffee mug in Marshals yesterday that says “I love us” and there were public gaspy tears. Not as bad as when I saw a box of Swedish Fish next to a box of Lancaster caramels in Cracker Barrel, but not good either. Full Tilt was my hands down favorite that came out this year.
Kandace: The Man I Love by Suanne Laqueur. I can’t stop thinking about all of them. When I finished the series I felt like I went on an epic journey. I laughed, cried, groveled, screamed, swooned, cried some more…. yeah all that!
- Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil by Melina Marchetta <— bev chooses this one!
“Because I want more people to try it I’m going to say To Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil by Melina Marchetta. So good.”
- COLLARED by Nicole Williams <— AnneC chooses this one! “My favorite was Collared by Nicole Williams. Loved this book so much!”
- Thoughtful (Thoughtless) by S.C. Stephens <— LeslieM chooses this one!
“My fave book that I read in 2016 was Thoughtful (cause, duh! Kellan) and its one of my all time fave series. Since that wasn’t pub’d in 2016…”
- Black Swan Affair by K.L. Kreig <— Antonella is sticking with swans.
“So many good ones this year but I’ll go with The Black Swan Affair by KL Krieg. If I stick with the swan theme, The Paper Swan by Leylah Attar was also good.”