I have an upcoming interview scheduled with the author of Beautiful Disaster (Jamie McGuire), but thought I’d compile a bunch of cool facts I’ve found regarding this book. Jamie speaks candidly on her Facebook pages, and has divulged some very interesting stuff!
So to hold us over until the interview, here’s a little treat for all of you Travis and Abby fanatics. A deeper look into this fantastic book that kept us up all night ;)
- Beautiful Disaster is not a Young Adult novel (rated mature, and is for ages 17+).
- “…this book was never meant to be published. It was just supposed to be “for fun” to stretch my writing wings a bit with a more mature piece. My fans have completely embraced it and I am thrilled!”
- As per a recent Facebook post, she used the names of some of her college friends for a few of her characters (highlighting America, Finch, Brazil, Shep).
- Jamie points out that the book originally had a different title:
“Fun Fact: Beautiful Disaster was written under the working title “Red Flag”, which later became the name of the first chapter.”
- and points out “ I actually changed the title from “Red Flag” to “Beautiful Disaster” after hearing the song!” (Kelly Clarkson’s song)
- She mentions: “I did draw many of the scenes in the book from my own college experiences! (I’ll never tell which ones, lol)”
- A fan asked Jamie: “I wanted to know when Trav bought the ring?” and Jamie answered: “I imagine he bought it about the same time he went a little overboard with the couch and tattoos…”
- Beautiful Disaster spent at least TWO weeks as the #1 Top-Rated Romance on Amazon! (with good reason!!)
- About the somewhat contraversial cover (some love it, some hate it):
“Thanks for letting me know about the cover, I’ve been 50/50 on it.”
“Yes, it is a stock photo. I’ve seen it elsewhere, as well.”
- Beautiful Disaster has it’s own Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beautiful-Disaster/191471664239853
- On her own FAQ, and also as a comment on her Facebook, Jamie says “…and I currently have no plans to write a sequel to BD.”
BUT THEN!! OMG this news made me want to squee. Okay, nevermind. I DID squee:
- “Unfortunately I have no plans for a sequel to BD. A spin off with other characters (Travis’ brothers, for instance), is a possibility.”
- A fan mentioned a song that reminds her of Travis, and Jamie said:
“Love this! I wish more fans would do this! Music is the cornerstone of the emotion in my writing, and I love hearing songs that might pertain to the story. The song Trav and Abby dance to at her bday party, when he sings to her, is also a Hinder song. “Thing for You”. Oh. Love it.”
Huh. Love this! I didn’t realize “their” song was Hinder’s “Thing For You” – WOW! Love that little tidbit. The song that makes me thing of Travis and Abby is Crossfade’s “Invincible”.
- Jamie created a photo album of her “Beautiful Disaster” characters. I agree with all of them ‘cept for Travis. Oh well. My Travis was a whole lot more UFC fighter’ish. A bigger, scarier (and hotter) version. Tee hee! Funny enough, her photo version of “Marek” was closer to my version of Travis. Megan Fox as “Megan” – she was right on for that one!
So that’s all I could find for now, until the interview I learned a lot, and I have a feeling we have more to look forward to! If you want to know more, check out my book reviews (yes, this book warranted a pre-review while I was reading it, and then an official book review – it was that good!)