Reader Confession – Grey’s a marathon reader and struggles at “the end”…

by Maryse on June 7, 2017 · 16 comments

in Editorial

Yep!!!! Totally me too… in fact I added my own confession at the end of this one. ;)

Okay this is an older confession since there’s been TWO more books since Grey has had a meltdown, BUT the series is officially complete now, and I can TOTALLY relate to her heartbreak over the potential “end of a book-world” that I’ve been involved in.

In fact I have a confession that goes along with this one (mine is also for an older series but still SO relevant, and I’ve included it after Grey’s).

Grey admits:

“*pout* I haz a sad… I just finished Fallen Crest University

*taps microphone* is this thing on? *feedback squeal* My name is Grey… and *sob* I am a marathon book reader.

I feel safe here… admitting that I am going to be in a massive book hangover. I hate it… I absolutely hate that I get so dang wrapped up into series, *see above confession* and the fact that I have read all of the FCH books in a matter of a few days…and then… *poof* I have to wait months until more come out.

I mean, FCU isn’t a typical cliffy.

Things are wrapped up enough so that the book has an ending and I’m not like I was at the end of King wanting to throw my kindle out the window. But yeah… I am now all keyed up and have been scrolling thru my Kindle (and over a thousand books) and have NO idea where I’m going now.

Who’s got the wine?”

Oh Grey. Boy… do I get you. In fact, I will join your confession circle and throw in my own. You guys KNOW how much I LOVED (LOVE!!!) Karina Halle’s Experiment in Terror Series. In fact, each book got better and better as it went, to the point I was LOSING my mind over each one, totally devouring the love story-aspect (OMG the ANGST and OH-NO-HE-DIDN’T moments), not being able to put them down, losing sleep, and my heart (and my wits!!)… and now?

The series is officially… over.

But… here’s my confession. I haven’t read the last one (Dust to Dust (Experiment in Terror #9) yet. Oh I have it. And I haven’t read the recently released spinoff novel yet either. I simply stared at both books lovingly, knowing that as long as I haven’t read them, it’s not over. At least not for me.

There are still loving, scary, “my favorite old-school indie” book-treats awaiting me as long as I hold off, right? *shakes head* I know. Makes NO sense.

And you?

bev June 7, 2017 at 8:56 PM

I haven’t read the last of The Others series yet.

Maryse June 7, 2017 at 9:20 PM

See? Exactly!

Jennifer June 7, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Totally agree! I haven’t read the last in the Rylee Adamson series by Shannon Mayer(#10 I think?!) and I have bought the first of the spin off once that series ends. Part is picking up the series again after a bit, waiting for the next to come out and part is not wanting to say goodbye to the characters and the world…. Same with the Darynda Jones Charley Davidson series… I dive in for a few books but make sure I still have more in the series in my tbr so I can dive in again when new ones are released.

Lisa M June 8, 2017 at 11:59 AM

I’m a marathon reader too!! I can’t stop reading!! My hubby says you’re addicted again!! Yup!! I love when the whole series is out there. Click click click!! I can’t take those cliffys!!!! I can’t stop reading & get so sad when the series is over!! Need vodka or wine!! I read every day every chance I get!! As soon as I finish one book I have to start reading another!! No digesting the book because it gets too sad that it’s over!! Absolutely loved the Fallen Crest series!! So so sad that it’s over!!

D.G. June 8, 2017 at 12:12 PM

I hate cliffys! There I said it. No way no shape no how will you convince me to voluntarily read a cliffy. HOWEVER, if the series is officially finished I will hoover through them. Hi my name is DG and I am a book geek/ booknerd / book addict.

Jody June 8, 2017 at 3:28 PM

My reading obsession kicked into high gear again a few years ago. I kept finding series that had tons of books already and would check out at least 5 at a time. The downside is you get caught up quickly and then have to wait a year for the next book in the series. I also have 2 books by my fave author just waiting to be read. I love, love, love him but I don’t want to be caught up again! I also have some Anne Rice books collecting dust because I waited too long and feel like I need to read the Vampire Chronicles again. I haven’t bought the latest ones yet either.

Nay June 8, 2017 at 6:34 PM

I haven’t read the final Cat and Bones book. Just can’t bring myself to do it!

Jan June 8, 2017 at 8:14 PM

I’m still hanging off on the latest Patricia Briggs/ Mercy Thompsons. I’ve got two I haven’t read. Don’t know why, but I’m just not ready to jump in yet. Have to be in the right mood.

Leslie M June 9, 2017 at 5:31 AM

I get major “end of series” heartbreak/book hangover.

I can’t even listen to A Thousand Years song without crying as it brings me through entire Twilight series in my head.

One of my favorite “worlds” is Addicted/Calloway Sisters (by Krista & Becca Ritchie) series of 10 books. I couldnt wait for the last one – “Some Kind of Perfect” to come out, and then it took me 8 months to get the guts to read it. I just didn’t want to say goodbye to these characters I have watched go through so much. They feel so real to me…I need therapy. Just thinking about it makes me weepy.

Of course it took me over a year to return to the world of my beloved Kellan Kyle. “Thoughtful”…..*sighs wistfully *

As much as I loved Consequences series, I have never read Beyond the Consequences book #5. Got to put on the big girl panties for this one.

Leslie M June 9, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Is it bad that I enjoy Maryse’s facial expressions almost as much as these confessions??

R. Renee June 9, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Me too! Those are the best part!

Grey June 9, 2017 at 4:12 PM

Hey… That’s me *giggle*.

And yep, still most definitely qualifies. I am a total marathon reader… Sigh. And this is why Maryse and I are such good book buddies, well that and we have such similar book taste… And nail polish taste, and wine taste… And and and… :lol: *I haven’t read the Experiment in Terror series, can you believe it?*

Leslie M June 10, 2017 at 9:26 AM

Experiment in Terror is on my list of books to try for this year!

MichelleS June 10, 2017 at 8:51 PM

I haven’t read last EiT either!!! No clue why.

MichelleS June 10, 2017 at 8:53 PM

If I check my library, the last real marathon read for me was the Roam Series. Read them all & spinoffs back to back.

Maryse June 11, 2017 at 8:32 PM