Reader Confession – Some of us haven’t read Harry Potter yet… not a single one of ‘em.

by Maryse on March 15, 2017 · 38 comments

in Editorial

OH. EM. GEE. You did NOT just admit to that??!! Oh yes I did. ;)

It’s time for a confession… and this one might have some of you GASPING in horror. Okay maybe not horror, but possibly calling blasphemy, for sure. Yet, I just KNOW some of you will join us in our “confessional blankie-fort” and rejoice in not being the only one. ;)

Ready? Here goes:

Amy: Confession time… I have no desire to read or watch Harry Potter. *frantically clambers into blankie fort to hide*

Maryse: Amy you know one day I’m gonna post that confession. But I’m bringing ALL of us in there that haven’t it read it, so you won’t be alone. Me too.

Tessa: I have decided, that beyond all other books, I’m going to keep recommending Harry Potter from now on. You all believe Maryse hasn’t read them yet?

Leslie M: *speaks in hushed whisper* I haven’t read HP either. I know, I know, what kind of book lover am I? But I cannot for the life of me get into fantasy type genres. *hangs head in shame*

Maryse: I’m shameful. Harry Potter-wise. ;)  That’s right Tessa. Maryse has the WHOLE LOT OF ‘EM in her Kindle and has NOT read a single one. *sigh* *what’s HER problem?*

Leslie M: It’s funny because I want to be into HP. I’ve tried reading book and audio (hated the narration). I think I need to watch movie to picture in my head what it’s all about and then try reading it again. My teenage son hasn’t read it either and has copy on his bookshelf. His English teacher got him into Rick Riordan he completed Percy Jackson and is now reading Hero’s of Olympus.

Grey: No. Stop. Full stop. There’s this many of you that haven’t read Harry Potter for real?!? Ouch… That kind of hurts… I loved HP… Or maybe it was more seeing my kid so stinking excited for her bedtime story and the corresponding love of reading it inspired in her…. And now in my son, who now is following in his sister’s footsteps with the book love. This trip I just took to Universal, he got picked in the wand ceremony to get the Elder Wand… It was so cool. So yeah… I got nothing but love for HP…

I’ve read HP and watched the movies… prefer the books over the movies. Actually read the books out loud to/with my oldest as her bedtime story… over the course of a year. It was awesome!

MichelleS: I never read HP either! I think I missed that boat due to my age. But I watched all the movies! Couldn’t possibly go back & read them now!

Fabi: Maryse I’m hopping on your HP shame-train. I’ve seen a couple of the movies but no-go on the books.

Ela: I WATCHED ALL THE HP MOVIES!!!!!!!!!! THAT SHOULD COUNT FOR SOMETHING RIGHT? RIGHT? RIGHT?

Tessa: “I WATCHED ALL THE HP MOVIES!!!!!!!!!! THAT SHOULD COUNT FOR SOMETHING RIGHT? RIGHT? RIGHT?” LOL No. In fact, I should just say, don’t watch the movies until you read the book. There are MAJOR details missing in the movies that are in the book. I had people who only saw the movie asking tons of questions to try to figure out why things happened. I’ll say this. My mom HATED fantasy or paranormal type stories. She was more the mystery/ romance type, or medical horror. She loved Harry Potter. As soon as I was done, she’d start reading my copy. She’d join in on the debates and theories. This from someone who hated fantasy and sci fi.

So…. who’s coming in the Harry-Potterless protective “blankie fort” with us? Come on!! We know you’re out there!! Speak up!!! :P

Staci Faulds March 15, 2017 at 8:10 PM

I admit I haven’t read HP either but I do have a beautiful box set of them so hopefully some day I’ll read them!

Cheryl March 15, 2017 at 8:14 PM

*holds hang up* I have not read the HP books, but I have seen every movie, multiple times. My family gives me a hard time, because they all have read them.

Jen C March 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM

I have to confess as well. I haven’t read them either. I have the first 5 in paperback and… just haven’t got to them. I’ve seen all the movies and adore them. Maybe that’s why I haven’t made it a priority? Almost no point now lol.

Tessa March 15, 2017 at 9:03 PM

*blinks* Okay, for all who saw the movie and think they know the story, nope. Well, the first and second are kind of close, but after that, nope.

That said, no problems if you haven’t read it, but… I really do promise. The movies are missing too much since the third movie. (Don’t get me started on three. GRRRRR!)

Tessa March 15, 2017 at 9:12 PM

Also, poor Amy and Leslie. I can’t see either of them liking it.

R. Renee March 15, 2017 at 9:24 PM

I’m ditto’ing Amy. I have zero desire and I know so little about it I don’t even get the most “obvious” references. I tried to read it once, and it just wasn’t for me. Same with Lord of the Rings *ducks*

Maryse March 15, 2017 at 9:26 PM

Lord of the Rings!!! Me too…

I haven’t.

Norma March 15, 2017 at 9:32 PM

Me neither! I haven’t read Lord of the Rings either!

Tracie March 15, 2017 at 9:39 PM

I have to confess as well. I haven’t read the books or seen the movies. At least I’m not alone. Lol

Tessa March 15, 2017 at 9:48 PM

I read Lord of the Rings and… I’ll never get those hours back. The movies were better. Honest truth, the books take so long to get out of the shire, the first book should’ve been called, they might leave the shire, eventually… if you’re lucky… but you aren’t. :D

bev March 15, 2017 at 9:50 PM

I just don’t understand.

bev March 15, 2017 at 9:51 PM

Why do I wanna say Maryse hasn’t read P&P yet either?

Traci B. March 15, 2017 at 10:01 PM

I have no desire to read Harry Potter. I draw the line at paranormal romance. Can’t read most sci-fi either. Sorry not sorry. Haha

Nay March 15, 2017 at 10:25 PM

Count me in too! I haven’t read the books nor have I seen the movies!

Teri W March 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM

I read the first HP book when it came out but really had no desire to read more. I watched a couple of the movies but never got into the craze. While I thought the whole plot was supercool it just didn’t grab me. I think it would be awesome to go to HP world in universal studios Orlando though.

Cait March 16, 2017 at 3:29 AM

Haven’t read a single one!! Watched them tho!!

Julie o March 16, 2017 at 5:30 AM

Have not read Harry Potter and have no desire to or see the movies. Same goes for lord of the rings.
And sorry Maryse but have not read or seen The Martian and do not know if there is desire or not!
So glad to get that off my chest. I was feeling so guilty about all of those, like I was the only person in the world who felt that way.

Leslie M March 16, 2017 at 5:34 AM

Bev, Pride & Prejudice???

Don’t pelt me with peanuts, but I haven’t read that or ANY of the classics.

I can’t help it, I only seem to enjoy contemporary romance.

I do have MAJOR book guilt over not reading HP though. (book guilt is an actual “thing” you know)

Lisa Aiello March 16, 2017 at 7:12 AM

I have Pride & Prejudice on one of my 2017 month reads…cuz I feel so lame that I haven’t read it. I read the first few Harry Potter books, but then stopped when there were two or three left. They were good, but not something I felt compelled to try to finish out.

R. Renee March 16, 2017 at 8:23 AM

OMG Leslie I’m so with you. I WANT to love English lit! I struggled through P&P. I just wanted to slap Mr. Darcy too many times to fall for him. But, I finished it. I’ve also struggled through most of Wuthering Heights and Great Expectations. I think I’m just too impatient, but I haven’t totally given up. One of these days, I’ll try again!

Melanie March 16, 2017 at 8:34 AM

So funny that you started this post. I was just lying in bed last night thinking that maybe I should be reading HP series to my youngest before bed. I have not read it and I know it would be a great mom thing to do, but I just don’t know if I have the desire to read them. Strange coincidence though that I was thinking of this while everyone else was! I think we must be thinking alike!!

bev March 16, 2017 at 9:09 AM

Jane Eyre over Wuthering Heights. Jane rocks.
Austen ‘ s Persuasion is another good one.
Never read Great Expectations, but I really liked David Copperfield and A Christmas Carol.

I really haven’t read or tried or re read any of the classics in years and years. Why I’m tempted to try that serial reader app.

chris Lehto March 16, 2017 at 9:59 AM

No Harry Potter for me.

I did read Lord of the Rings. It was way back when for school.

Janet W March 16, 2017 at 11:09 AM

Different strokes for different folks! I loved reading the HP series, the movies left out so much. I couldn’t get into Lord of the Rings, I did try. The only thing I find strange is people who don’t like to read. So many different genres available, surely there is something for everyone.

Caroline Fogle March 16, 2017 at 11:16 AM

I have not read or watched HP…HOWEVER…the rides at Universal Orlando are awesome. Even after my experience at Orlando I still have no desire to read/watch it.

steph n March 16, 2017 at 11:33 AM

I’ve never read them either. I have them on my kindle though because an ex downloaded them on there so if I ever get the urge. Haven’t read Twilight series or Lord of the Rings either. Or Outlander! Eeek! :)

Nay March 16, 2017 at 11:34 AM

I haven’t read any of the classics either. Zero, zilch, nada–can’t think of a single one. Historical is majorly not my thing. Obviously it’s nowhere near a classic, but the most historical I’ve gotten is listening to the first Outlander audiobook. And although I lurve the tv series, I’m having trouble getting through reading Dragonfly in Amber.

Nay March 16, 2017 at 11:36 AM

And Maryse–that photo of you at the top of this page is possibly the most pitifullycute pic I’ve ever seen! You look like a Margaret Keane print!

Heather March 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM

I’m deffently umder that blankie. Never read the HP books but I’ve watched the movies and seen the new fantastic beasts movie.

Jenn March 16, 2017 at 3:46 PM

I would have to be in the blankie fort to. Nope to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter nor do I care to read them or see the movies. My husband and kids in the other hand have read the books and watched the movies too. I have been forced to sit through a couple movies a piece of each series.

Cheryl March 16, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Lord of the Rings was always a guaranteed sleep for me.

D.G. March 16, 2017 at 7:34 PM

Big confession time *ducks under blankies* I have never read HP or the entire Twilight series?!?!? BUT I have watched ALL the movies of both…

Alabama Amy (the Anti-Amy Amy) March 16, 2017 at 8:32 PM

Something I’m not “Anti-Amy” about! This Amy hasn’t read all the Harry Potter books either. Confession: I have worked in a bookstore over a decade and have managed not to read them all. Seems impossible, right? I have read 1-3 and part of 4. I couldn’t finish because I had the EXACT same problem with HP that I’ve had with LOTR, GOT, and any other books of fantasy or sci-fi type genre… THE NAMES! My brain gets stuck on names that I can’t pronounce. Names of characters, names of places, spells, mythical creatures – aggghh my brain freezes and frets over pronunciation. To push me over the proverbial edge, I have a distinctly southern accent. You should hear me trying to say these names out loud. It’s comedy at its finest

MichelleS March 17, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Loved Lord of the Rings & Hobbit movies, but, sadly, only read The Hobbit because I had to in school. Same for Harry Potter. Loved movies, never read books. Just not interested! Don’t throw peanuts. (Add Game of Thrones to that list too.)

Grey March 17, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Protego! *waves my magic wand around myself* Sorry, I’m protecting myself from all these strange muggle vibes up in here.

:lol: In all seriousness though, the crazy talent of J.K. Rowling and her vast world building skills… My youngest and I are recreating the magic of the bedtime story of Harry Potter that I did with my oldest… It’s amazing and I cherish the time and fostering the love of the written word with my babies.

Maryse March 17, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Alabama Amy – I just LOVE southern accents. You should make an audio for us saying the names. :D !!!

D.G. March 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM

Alabama Amy…which part of Alabama are you from?

Diana March 18, 2017 at 6:54 PM

OMGosh y’all! Every day I feel like we’re soul sisters with our book addictions, but this confession has me in SHOCK! I can’t imagine! I had a substitute teacher start reading HP 1 to us in grade school and I was hooked! They were my first “I can’t wait for the next book to come out” addiction! But like Alabama Amy I def had trouble w the names. But I don’t try to pronounce them and move on. *shrugs* But it was hilarious hearing my mama try to read them outloud to my younger bothers. Those names are a hoot!

I have NO desire to read LOTR bc I HATED Frodo in the movies. 2 minutes in and I want to run him over with my car. Anyone else?