22 Friday Finds & Reader Recommendations – August 18th 2017

by Maryse on August 18, 2017 · 57 comments

in eBook Deals

HAPPY FRIDAY!!! It’s time for another weekend of reading and I’m going in!! I’ve just started a book that comes up the most in my “reader questions” (and has been featured as a reader question a few times, in fact). It came up again today, and I was all… “THAT’S IT! I’m reading this now!!” It’s a sign, I just know it… and I’m SO in the mood for this.

What I’m reading now? Something in the Way (Something in the Way Series Book 1) by Jessica Hawkins

Summer: Book 1 and 2 are SO good tons of angst!!!!!

Allie: You won’t be disappointed Maryse!!! This series has been on mind for MONTHS!!!

Grey: I’m dying here… Maryse! you cheated… I thought we were waiting. *giggle*

Maryse: I can’t help myself anymore, Grey! I know I’ll suffer when ‘m sitting here dying for book #3 but I. Just. GOTTA!

Take a look at what else we found for the weekend!! :D

• Cockloft by K.C. Lynn <— K.C. LYNN’S LATEST IS LIVE!!! FIREFIGHTER ALERT!! They can’t stand each other, but OH BOY do they want each other… “When the beautiful boutique owner and sexy firefighter meet in the most unlikely situation, their two worlds collide, creating an explosion of misperceptions and combustible heat, trapping them in a fire they never saw coming.”
  • Wish You Were Here: A Novel by Renee Carlino <— RENEE CARLINO RECENT RELEASE & WE HAVE FEEDBACK!! Cheryl LOVED IT!!!
Cheryl: I just finished Wish You Were Here. I cried- a big, ugly cry in my daughter’s hospital room. (guess I can read Atheist now Maryse and Amy!) WYWH was sweet, heartbreaking and somewhat angsty. I didn’t like the h too much in the beginning because she was so wimpy, but she evolved because of the circumstances she went thru and I grew to like her by the end. Loved Adam and Seth. My heart broke for them and I felt the emotions they were going thru and wanted what they wanted to come true. Beautiful writing as always with this author. My only complaint is the ending tied up too quickly and I wanted more.
bev: …have you read Laura Florand? Her Once Upon A Rose … She has a sort if whimsical style. I love the meet cute in this one. You can disappear to France for a bit if you want to borrow it.

Jan: I second bev’s rec of Laura Florand. I like the one bev mentioned, and there is a new one coming out soon in that series – sah-weet! My fav series of hers is Amour et Chocolat. I floved The Chocolate Touch (Amour et Chocolat Book 4) and The Chocolate Heart (Amour et Chocolat Book 5). Paris, chocolates, hot chefs, a bit of angst, some sexy romance… what’s not to love? Oh Dominque, oh Luc, you gorgeous, gorgeous men………. Vive la France!

• Latte Girl by Katia Rose <— THE HEIR TO A SECURITY COMPANY COMES INTO THE COFFEE SHOP……Jordan Knox is enough to send her heart racing faster than a triple shot of espresso, and when the attraction proves to be mutual, no hidden corners or empty offices are safe from their game of cat and mouse. But when she’s ready to drop the pretenses, Jordan continues to hold back...”
  • Enough (Falling For A Rose Book 2) by Stephanie Nicole Norris <— THE GROOM’S BEST MAN ALERT! “…At the celebration of her best friend’s wedding, Claudia Steven’s is trying to sort out her tumultuous emotions, regarding the groom’s best man and brother, Jaden Alexander Rose...”
  • Liam (Mammoth Forest Wolves Book 1) by Kimber White <— SHIFTERS ALERT! FATED MATESMolly Ravary’s not the kind of girl who believes in love at first sight. But when Liam McConnell walks into her life, all rippling muscles and eyes blazing with mystery, she might just have to rethink that. He’s hiding something but that doesn’t keep her from being drawn to him. When he reveals his true shifter self, Molly knows she should head for the hills...”
  • The Lying Game: A Novel by Ruth Ware <— RECENT RELEASE & TASHA COULDN’T PUT IT DOWN ALERT!!!
Tasha: I just finished The Lying Game by Ruth Ware, LOVED it!!! I know I said it might take me a while on GR, Bev, but I couldn’t put it down! I mean, it hooked me right away, but by about 20%, probably, I was getting super invested, and by 40/50% I was totally and completely hooked, and I had to keep reading. Ah, so one of my favorites! I can’t attest to her other books bc this is the only one I’ve read of hers, but I’ll definitely be checking them out. Amy, if you haven’t read this one, I feel like it has your name written all over it!
  • Butcher (Devil Souls MC Book 3) by LeAnn Ashers <— BIKER CLUB ENFORCER ALERT!! “…I see who he really is. I see a man who will do anything for the people he cares about. I see the man who will protect and love me above everything else. I am just as obsessed with him as he is me. I will die for him and he would kill for me.  What everyone doesn’t know is I have the same crazy inside of me...’
  • Forget (Changing Colors Book 1) by N.A. Alcon <— Leslie LOVED IT!
Leslie: I just finished reading Forget by N.A. Alcorn. Loved it! Not sure if I am diving in to the sequel or the other million things I want to finish this month. *shrugs* Book nerd problems.
Jennifer: I just finished The Unrequited by Saffron A Kent. I could NOT PUT THIS BOOK DOWN! It was a perfect mix of love and hate, tenderness and horribly rough both physically and mentally. It was just all things phenomenal! I’m so sad it’s over. The chemistry between the two was just off the charts but at the same time it was so violent and crazy!! OHHHH MMMM GGGGG
  • Slam: A Colorado Smoke Novel by Andee Michelle <— BASEBALL STAR ALERT!! “...Independent and focused on raising her daughter, Layne is a woman running a business dominated by men. Managing the sports bar her father left her, she has no time for the arrogant ball player who keeps strutting through her door. With chiseled good looks in baseball pants, Slam Nash is a temptation she can’t afford…’
  • Havoc (Moonshine Task Force Book 3) by Laramie Briscoe <— MOONSHINER’S DAUGHTER & MARRIAGE OF ARRANGEMENT ALERT!!! “My brother and my dad are proud of it. They wear their arrest records like a badge of honor. Me? I want as far away from the lifestyle as I can get. It’s the only reason I ask Holden to marry me. At least that’s what I tell myself. I never expect his whispered yes to cause such upheaval in my life.”
  • Trying Not to Love You: (Dragon Skulls MC) by Rose Briner <— BIKER BOOK ALERT!!! SHE HAS TO RUN TO THE ENEMY… “...For Kara Zaragoza, surviving is her only option after her husband is killed. With club secrets in hand, she’s on the run from the Nomad Jokers MC and has no choice but to run straight to their enemy...”

AUDIOBOOK L:DVERS

For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>

• AND! Here’s the fun-tool again! —> Find out which of YOUR Kindle books are available as audiobooks at a BARGAIN-PRICE! <— This thing is so cool (Amazon calls it “Matchmaker“)! It’s an Amazon feature, that scans all of your Kindle books and will list all of the ones you have that are also available as an audiobook at a discounted price (not normal audiobook prices). This way, you can switch back and forth, seamlessly between your ebooks and your audiobooks. VERY COOL!

PREORDERS (Next few days, and a few of next week’s!!! :D )

1. If Ever by Angie Stanton – August 21st 2017
  2. After the Game (Field Party Book 3) by Abbi Glines – August 22nd 2017
  3. The Beauty of Us: A Fusion Novel by Kristen Proby - August 22nd 2017
  4. Keep Her Safe: A Novel by K.A. Tucker - August 22nd 2017

➜ CHECK OUT ALL the upcoming BOOK RELEASES here (frequently updated and it goes all the way to 2018!)

Get Maryse’s Book Blog updates delivered by email (you’ll get one daily email that will have each post from that day consolidated on it).

Ela August 18, 2017 at 6:58 AM

TGIF EVERYONE! It’s Friday and next week I’m off!

Ela August 18, 2017 at 7:03 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROBIN!

bev August 18, 2017 at 7:34 AM

R, it’s your birthday? I forgot we have a bunch of lions around here.

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a sweet day.

Maryse August 18, 2017 at 7:35 AM

OMG HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROBIN!!!!!!!!!

*hug*

Birthday Cake martini time again!! ;)

Leslie M August 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Happy Birthday Robin!!! :)

May you have a fun-filled day! *big squishy hugs*

R. Renee August 18, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Thanks guys! I’m setting up shop on the patio and reading, writing, and watching football all weekend. I’m in book nerd heaven!! <3

Leslie M August 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Maryse, I have been DYING to read Something in the Way series!! Can’t wait to see what you think. I plan on reading in Oct when 3rd book is out.

Leslie M August 18, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Football???? Pleh!! *gag to all sports*

The only football I like is sexy athlete H in romance novels. ;)

R. Renee August 18, 2017 at 9:40 AM

LOL!! I usually hate sports romances but I LOVE football and I big time love Brock Osweiler <3 He's not the most photogenic QB ever, but live? hubba hubba. I don't even hear the words he's saying but I can watch him say them all day. https://www.pscp.tv/Browns/1dRKZnrLDVvKB?t=2

Tessa August 18, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Happy Birthday Robin! *hugs* Guess that’s why Dark of the Moon came out this week. It was a birthday present to you. :P

R. Renee August 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Yes!! I’ll go with that! It kept me up ALL NIGHT last night. 3:45am, last I checked!

Amy August 18, 2017 at 10:45 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY R!!!!

(You’ll always be R to me ;) *hug*)

YES!! Birthday cake martinis all around…after all, it really IS 5 o’clock somewhere. :lol:

Amy August 18, 2017 at 10:50 AM

Oooooooh, I can’t wait to see what you think of Something In the Way, Maryse. I’m too chicken to start it until the third one is out. Yup, that clucking y’all hear is coming from me.

I’m LOVING The Trouble With Lexie. There is something just so simplistic and real and relatable about all she is wrestling with. Next up is Wish You Were Here after Cheryl’s reaction to it. And that cover…BEAUTIFUL.

Tessa August 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM

I’m still in the middle of it. Well, towards the end. 89%. In my defense, though, that’s not the end. This book is LONG. (So many happy grins over that!) And just book one? I’m absolutely loving it.

D.G. August 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM

Happy, HAPPY birthday R!!! And happy Friday everyone else!!! *grabs glitter confetti gun to shoot confetti* Did someone mention birthday martinis?!?!

D.G. August 18, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Anddd the list today! Wow! Awesome reading weekend!

R. Renee August 18, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Thanks DG!

I think we’re at the same spot Tessa. My stomach is in my throat!

R. Renee August 18, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Thanks Amy!! It’s never too early for birthday martinis! I think I might hit the champagne here soon so if I start misspelling words, it’s not me, it’s autocorrect! ;)

Tessa August 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM

And… done. *blinks and looks around* HOLY CRAP! She was made to write fantasy, seriously. I loved it. Just so much going on, so much mystery… *grins* Yeah. I’m glad I waited to read it and GoT didn’t destroy the ability to enjoy it, because I sincerely did. :)

Grey August 18, 2017 at 2:55 PM

*tosses birthday glitter confetti* Sorry I’m late… As you all know, it’s R’s birthday, and homegirl likes her wine… So I had to go stock up. I think that the guy at the liquor store recognizes me now. :lol: *throws up gang sign* Happy birthday to my girl, R!!! I’ve got alllll of your favorites! *squeezy hugs*

Grey August 18, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Grabs Tessa, spins her around… It was great, right?!?

R. Renee August 18, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Grey rocks!! *burp* <3

bev August 18, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Can I just say how much I like Logan from Veronica Mars?

LisaKay August 18, 2017 at 3:31 PM

Hey Robin, it is my birthday too…hope you have a great day!

R. Renee August 18, 2017 at 3:31 PM

LOGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I met him!! When I used to do Buffy con circuit, I PA’d once for a guy who got me into the staff party where Dorhing was. We were told absolutely NO autographs. So he grabbed a stack of paper plates and “wrote his name on them” to “claim” them and then shared them all. He was awesome!!! He did not give out his autograph. He simply shared his stolen plates! :D

bev August 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM

That is a great story, R.
I totally understand why actors do not want to be bothered all the time, but it is cool when they appreciate fans when working. Like some stars will go say hi to fans who wait at red carpets.

I have only seen season 1 ( and the movie) and am watching the end of it again to refresh memory to watch next 2 seasons.

R. Renee August 18, 2017 at 4:13 PM

It was the party organizers who came up with that rule. The actors were amazing. He was fantastic. I LOVED that series!

Tessa August 18, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Happy birthday LisaKay! Birthday twins! Extra alcohol for everyone! *throws confetti*

Grey, OMG! Today was the third? I think? Day reading it and it had me enthralled all three days!

bev August 18, 2017 at 4:37 PM

I wonder if Maryse has seen it since Logan liked to solve problems for Veronica with his fists. Lol.

Jan August 18, 2017 at 7:24 PM

Have a great day LisaKay and R. *hugs both in squishy hug* It’s too early in the day here for martinis, (seriously ;) ) so I’ll toast you both with a hot chocolate with a marshmallow. Cheers!

R. Renee August 18, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Thank you Jan!!

bev August 18, 2017 at 7:42 PM

Jaime Lannister and Lin Manuel Miranda.

Cheryl August 19, 2017 at 9:19 AM

HAPPY belated birthday to R. and LisaKay!!!!

Amy, that books sounds great, but the price is not. Hoping it will go on sale.

Bev, did you see this one?

Maryse August 19, 2017 at 11:23 AM

LISAKAY!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! *hug hug hug*

Another round of birthday cake martinis!!! This week has been SO FUN!!! ;)

Maryse August 19, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Okay who’s Logan?? I shall backtrack in our comments. ;)

I’ve been power-reading my super-angsty book and I AM LOVING IT!!! My only *slight* complaint is I’d like him to be a bit “gruffer” speak-wise, and thought-wise, considering the kind of guy he is (would give it that extra touch of believability that would hook me even harder), but I’m half way through and I’m VERY MUCH in.

Yes, I can see this one’s gonna hurt, and I’m getting VERY attached. :D

Linda August 19, 2017 at 11:54 AM

I have just completed the Life of Anna series by Marissa Honeycutt!!!! I thought I was prepared for this series. Skimmed the reviews. Read ALL the authors’ WARNINGS!!!!!! Even read the synopsis on the author. Two young son, loves chocolate, shopping etc etc. How BAD can it possibly be I said. I can do this I said!!!! Well it sucked my right in. Couldn’t put it down. Couldn’t look away. It was brilliant writing??? Actually…. yes it was. I found the one reason besides the brilliance of the storyline why I could justify not putting this series down and walking away. Because. Oh. My. God!!!! I cannot say because of *spoiler * but it helped me “power through. ” Had to know where the author was going with Anna’s life.

bev August 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Cheryl, I had not. Thank you for that It is awesome. Awesome.

I just love them, lol. Just people filled with such energy, good humor, and intelligence are fun to watch.

bev August 19, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Maryse, Logan is from Veronica Mars, have you seen it? Just 3 seasons and a movie.

Logan starts out the “psychopath” and you know I forgot how truly horrible he was. But when he gives his loyalty and friendship…..

Cheryl August 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Bev, my daughter and I watched the movie. Now we want to backtrack and watch the series.

Cheryl August 19, 2017 at 2:29 PM

Bev, Logan aka Jason Dohring also plays a “shady” character on iZombie that I watch with my daughter. It’s a really funny, good series that somehow we are always eating while watching it. Eating brains on show = not good for appetite. ;)

bev August 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM

I haven’t watched iZombie yet, but know it is popular. Definitely in the queue when I need a new show to marathon.

Jan August 19, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Haha Cheryl. I think your little avatar guy is expressing your feelings of eating while watching zombies. Aaaaaaah!!

Cheryl August 19, 2017 at 9:02 PM

That is funny Jan. Oddly enough, the different ways the lead character “cooks up” brains is funny and for a split second you think that looks yummy; until you remind yourself it’s brains. Definitely not boring.

Susan August 19, 2017 at 9:17 PM

Linda, You just intrigued me with The life of Anna. Scared to dive in but I’m gonna do it. It’s free on kindle unlimited. Maryse, I’m so excited you are finally reading Something in the Way. I loved both books, but I’m dying for the final one.

Grey August 19, 2017 at 9:18 PM

All caught up with GoT… *sigh* dang, I am all sorts of sad to have to wait for new episodes.

Jen C August 20, 2017 at 2:23 AM

Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick is on super sale for $2.99 – usually $12.99. I hope it’s as funny and quirky as she is lol.

Tasha J August 20, 2017 at 9:07 AM

I’m currently on season 3 of iZombie, looking forward to season 4 already, but I’ll wait until it comes to Netflix to watch so it’ll be a while. I knew it was the same creator as V. Mars, now I’m gonna have to order the seasons to watch those.
Jen C, I’ve read Scrappy Little Nobody and I liked it. I thought it really read like a convo. with a friend, was funny and down to earth.

Tessa August 20, 2017 at 11:35 AM

Grey, at least you only have to wait a day. It could be much worse (Like when this season is over and we have to wait a whole YEAR!)

Amy August 20, 2017 at 5:46 PM

Tessa…I just saw on the other post when you asked about where to watch the newest leaked GoT episodes ahead of time. Kinda late here since the episode is airing today. Sorry!

I’ll send you a message on GR because I’m STILL not 100% comfortable with the site my hubby found it on, and I would feel awful sharing it here and then…ya know, someone gets nailed for using it. I already told him not to use it anymore, even though he swears it’s not a big deal. :?

Amy August 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM

Also, now I have nothing new to watch tonight so BOOOOO!!!!

Tessa August 20, 2017 at 6:02 PM

lol And now it’s available on HBO go. :) Thank you though. I’ll probably watch it later tonight when it’s on. *does giddy dance* At least you only have to wait a week?

Amy August 20, 2017 at 6:20 PM

I know, but it’s still a week and I need my dragon fix. :(

How sweet are Jason Mamoa’s Instagrams about Khaleesi? *swoony sigh*

Tessa August 20, 2017 at 7:03 PM

I guess I need to look at instagram?

MichelleS August 20, 2017 at 7:47 PM

I’m not in the witness protection program. Just doing some remodeling. I finally get to read again! Reading Love & Sacrifice Book Two of the Prophecy Series. Love love love this world, writing, and characters.

Jan August 21, 2017 at 2:15 AM

Haha Michelle. We missed you. Mwah. *air kisses* Welcome back to the world of reading.

Amy August 21, 2017 at 9:51 AM

bev, are you going to be in the path of totality for the eclipse? We should see about 90% of it here. But GAH! The traffic has been horrible, hasn’t it??

*snickers at MichelleS’ WPP comment* Welcome back, friend. Hope the remodeling is turning out exactly how you wanted it to!

Tessa August 21, 2017 at 12:01 PM

We are 75% here. Though, I went to look and there is a cloud in front of the sun right now.