HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!!! AND HAPPY SUPERBOWL WEEKEND!!! Right? Am I right? NOT last weekend, like I was saying (and confusing everybody) but THIS weekend. !!! I got it right this time, right??? *snort*
Anyway… all that to say, today we’ve got an equal mix of new releases (3 of ‘em are now on my TBR list – that first one, especially), bargain finds (like that HUGELY popular one to the left) AND ADAMANT reader recommendations (these excite me even more today ’cause there’s a few that are totally new to me). And I’m still adding them in, as we speak. We’re already up to 27 goodies!!
PLUS… Tasha and Jennifer found some super-forbiddeny books.
Now… take a look at what else we found! (NOTE: some are bargain priced when I added them, but prices can change on Amazon, so make sure to check before you finalize your order. Sales listed are for Amazon U.S., however some of the Amazon UK links also reflect the sale!):
- Fallen Woman by Stephie Walls <— LIVE!!! SHE’S A SINGLE MOM & DESTITUTE ALERT! ”…she’s alone with three children, destitute and desperate. Finding herself in the same hell she’d fought so hard to escape, and determined to find a solution, she compromises who she is….” Both Grey and Nancy enjoyed this one!
Grey: …I gave it 4.25 stars. There’s angst, but not of the traditional romance – book trope variety… Hot smut…lol, and a good plot. It checked all my boxes haha!
Nancy: I had the pleasure of reading an advance copy. It is a story of a woman who has hit rock bottom, and her difficult climb back up.
- Anything You Can Do by R.S Grey <— LIVE!!! HE WAS ONCE HER RIVAL... “The arrogant boy who was my teenage rival is now a chiseled doctor armed with intimidating good looks. He is Lucas Thatcher 2.0, the new and improved version I’ll be competing with in the workplace instead of the schoolyard. I’m not worried; I’m a doctor now too...”
- Ryan (The Mallick Brothers Book 2) by Jessica Gadziala <— LIVE!!! SHE’S AGORAPHOBIC ALERT!!! “…when would a man like that ever want to be with a woman who was too anxious to even walk into the hallway? Let alone go on a date with him. Or meet the family he was so close with. That being said, he seemed interested for some reason...”
- Gravity by H.J. Bellus <— LIVE!!! HER FIRST LOVE BROKE HER HEART BUT LEFT SOMETHING BEHIND FOR HER… “My first love, Amos Marshall, left something behind for me. He promised me forever and gave that to me. It’s the GRAVITY that keeps my universe held together. This natural phenomenon keeps me whole to move forward every single day of my life.” IT CAN be read as a standalone (even if it’s part of a series) and Jean found it for us!
Jean: Oh, another book that came out on Jan 30 is Gravity by H.J. Bellus. This is the author of Royal Atlas which I loved!
- Just for the Rush by Jane Lark <— LIVE!!! SHE’S IN LOVE WITH HER BOSS ALERT!!! When her boyfriend asks her to marry him, she runs because… “…her heart only beats harder when she’s with Jack her playboy boss. While Rick’s comfort is cosy, Jack’s protection makes her feel like she’s in a fortress…“
- The Man Who Won the World (1) by O. E. Boroni <— HIS LIFE CHANGES WHEN HE SAVES A MYSTERIOUS GIRL ALERT!! Grace is LOVING this new release!
Grace: I finished Mists of The Serengeti after your review Maryse, and it was amazing! I loved the immersion in a completely different world so I’m starting The Man Who Won the World from your list. It is set in in korea and by the reviews so far so many people love it. I am a fan of Korean dramas so I am excited to dive into this one.
bev: Hey, Grace. That sounds like an interesting read with an unusual time and setting. Keep us updated.
Grace: Maryse I was just about to leave an update for bev and Amy. I’m 70% in Maryse, and there are tears in my eyes. I hardly ever cry for books but this one is tearing my heart apart. It is not sad but it feels so real. I’ve never read anything like this. It’s a completely different world. And its not horror Maryse, its romance. It’s just so different, perhaps its because of the setting and I’m already quiet familiar with the korean culture. I need to finish it then I’ll come back with full feedback. Right now i feel disoriented.
Amy: “Right now i feel disoriented.” <——- Sure sign of a great read, Grace!
Grace: Okay, I’m done Maryse, and bev. I finished and didn’t know what to say, so I slept on it, and I still don’t know what to say. So I’ll say this. You know that feeling when you read an amazing story and then you go about your daily life but then at random moments the characters pop into your mind and you feel this pull in your heart as though you are suffering from love, or heartbreak or a deep dissatisfaction with your life.. I don’t know how to explain this but I hope you understand. It was amazing, and it made me think, and i don’t know how much to say lest I spoil you. But its different in that there are full blown sword fights, and executions and of course the setting makes you feel like you’re in medieval Korea. But there is also a budding romance that feels like a bomb waiting to explode. I’ll stop here. Ask whatever questions you want… lol. xo
Tasha: Grace, that sounds so good, I added it.
- Embody (Full Circle Series Book 1) by S.E. Hall <— S.E. HALL ALERT!! This one went LIVE a few days ago! It’s a spinoff from her “Evolve” series but can be read as a standalone… He’s afraid of commitment until he meets her. “...When I do cross paths with her, everything starts to slowly make sense. Why men change overnight — suddenly blind to all women but her, happy to hold her purse and watch corny movies. Just one problem — she’s my little sister’s best friend…“
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber <— LIVE!!! TWO SISTERS ESCAPE THEIR FATHER AND ENTER A GAME ALERT!!! The game is once a year and the audience participates and these sisters want to go to it badly… “…But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner...”
Tasha: So far, still really enjoying it! I love her descriptive writing. It’s beautiful, magical, and I almost want to say sometimes delicious. Like it makes me hungry when food words are used. Sugary beaches and what not. LOL It’s completely unique, but if I had to pick ways to describe it so far it would be a little like Alice in Wonderland, maybe some Hunger Games too. I’m loving the potential love interest. Is he a prick, really? Or is he someone else perhaps? Or maybe this guy could play in here…..?
- Tell the Wolves I’m Home: A Novel by Carol Rifka Brunt <— UNFORGETTABLE ALERT! SHE SEES HIM LINGERING AT A FUNERAL... “…two lonely people become the unlikeliest of friends and find that sometimes you don’t know you’ve lost someone until you’ve found them…“ One of MichelleS’s absolute favorites for January!
MichelleS: Tell the Wolves I’m home is RIGHT THERE in front of my eyes and in my heart. All the feels and the whole story. Haven’t forgotten a thing about it. First world problems!
- Lost in Scotland by Hilaria Alexander <— LIVE!!! FAMOUS ACTOR ALERT!!! She leaves L.A. after heartbreak and moves to Scotland and becomes a makeup artist on the set of a T.V. series… “…but she can’t help feeling lost and a little bit homesick. Until she starts falling for Hugh MacLeod, the actor set to impersonate the titular role of Abarath, dragon slayer and part-time Casanova...”
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han <— HER SECRET LETTERS TO HER CRUSHES WERE ACCIDENTALLY MAILED ALERT!! ohhh sounds like fun angst! bev found us this one on sale.
bev: For my YA book buddies To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is on sale. This one is a bit more on the sweet side but I really liked it, loved Lara Jean the heroine. It is a first book of three, though was going to end on the second book. So happy a third is coming out. However, not cliff hanger endings at all.
Jeanie: Just finished To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before last night. I loved it and I hate reading about young love or characters in high school, BUT, the writing was so gooooood and the story really surprised me. It kept me guessing the whole time. Except for the end… (which made me yell WHAAAT???) Not really a cliffy but there is a book #2
- Perfect: A Novel by Rachel Joyce <— WOW THIS BLURB HAS ME!!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS MEAN???? He wakes up to a normal day with his mom and sister, but… “…when the three of them leave home, driving into a dense summer fog, the morning takes an unmistakable turn. In one terrible moment, something happens, something completely unexpected and at odds with life as Byron understands it. While his mother seems not to have noticed, eleven-year-old Byron understands that from now on nothing can be the same…” and it’s super-bargain priced right now!!!
- Some Kind of Perfect (Calloway Sisters) by Becca & Krista Ritchie <— CONCLUSION TO THE SERIES ALERT! & even though Leslie’s SUPER PICKY she LOVED this one!! BUT!! It’s part of a series and the authors STRONGLY suggest you read it within the series. “It is highly recommended to read this book after Long Way Down (Calloway Sisters). Otherwise, it will spoil the entire series. Some Kind of Perfect is meant to be the 10th book in the series.”
Leslie M: Ok, Miss Picky-Pants here hardly ever has 5-star read, but I did have one in January. Yippee!!! Some Kind of Perfect by Becca & Krista Ritchie. What can I say about this series besides a-freaking-mazing?!? This was extended epilogue and end to series of 10 books. I am so in love with these flawed and beautiful characters that it actually hurt reading last book and saying goodbye.
- Hot Mess (Love is Messy Duet Book 1) <— LIVE!!! SHE’S INTO HER BOSS… & THEN SHE HAS A ONE-NIGHT STAND WITH A BARTENDER… “…the perfect man just happens to work in my office. But there’s just one small problem: he’s my boss, and is totally off limits. But hey, if it’s meant to be, it’ll find a way, right? Then a night out with friends turns into a night in with the walking-talking bad boy cliche of a bartender. It’s just one night. No harm, no foul, right? Except when the hot bartender turns out to be my boss’s trouble-making brother…“
- Rock the Dream: A Stand-Alone Novel in the Redfall Dream Series (Book 1) by BB Miller & Leslie Carson <— LIVE!!! ROCK STAR ALERT!! “…Everything is at his fingertips… until a tragic accident twists his dream into a nightmare. Haunted and lost, he’s desperately wanting more, and losing hope that he’ll ever find it...”
- Lovesick by T.L. Smith <— LIVE!!! HE’S SO BROKEN… “…despite it all, I couldn’t stay away from him. It was like he was drowning in an ocean, and I wanted to grab his face, and whisper to his lips, “Don’t forget to breathe.” This was how I fell for a man. A man who was so lovesick, I was afraid he would drown me in that same ocean he was lost in.“
- Unbecoming: A Novel by Rebecca Scherm <— AMY FOUND US A PSYCH-THRILLER ALERT!!!! She screwed over two men (the one she’s married to, and another that she’s in love with) in a heist and she escaped to Paris with the goods… “Both were jailed for a crime that Grace herself planned in exacting detail. The heist went bad—but not before she was on a plane to Prague with a stolen canvas rolled in her bag. And so, in Paris, begins a cat-and-mouse waiting game as Grace’s web of deception and lies unravels—and she becomes another young woman entirely.” (It’s super-bargain priced!!)
- Little Girl Lost: A gripping thriller that will have you hooked <— PSYCH THRILLER ALERT!!! HER BABY HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED… “Abigail lives the perfect life with her doting husband and adorable baby Izzy. But someone knows a secret about Abigail and they want the truth to be told...” AND it’s super-bargain priced today!
- Lives Collide by Kristina Beck <— SHE’S RECLUSIVE AFTER AN ACCIDENT… “Following Lisa’s near-death experience as a teenager, she is haunted by the emerald-green eyes of the stranger who saved her life. Her only connection to him is the leather jacket he left behind. Years later, she’s still reeling from the aftereffects of her injuries, convinced that no man will love her once he uncovers her secret. She lives a life of solitude and hides behind her days of monotony. And then James storms into her life…“
- What Lies Beneath The Flowerbed by <— LIVE!!! SHE’S A VIGILANTE SERIAL KILLER ALERT!! AND SHE HAS THE PRETTIEST GARDEN… “That’s because she uses the most organic fertilizer she can find. Who knew the corpse of a human body could produce the most beautiful flowers in all of Kansas? Gray is not your typical serial killer. Not by a long shot. She’s unorthodox in her approach and her victims are hand-picked based on one common thread—they have all brutally abused women...” Eeeeeep!! That crazy cover. BUT!!! It’s only in her POV, so for me that means YAY!!!
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard <— FANFREAKINGTASTIC FANTASY IS ON SALE RIGHT NOW ‘CAUSE book #3 will be out in just a few days!!
Tessa: Red Queen is definitely fantasy. Awesome book. … *does creepy whisper thing* Read Red Queen. It will be good. It will be kind of odd. You will like it.
Fabi: Tessa! Holy crap woman! Thank you so much for encouraging me to read Red Queen. Fanfreakintastic! It easily stands up against the greats in the genre. I want to go to go straight into book 2 so bad!
Tessa: Fabi, I’m so glad you liked Red Queen. I read the second but I’m scared of the novellas. One sounds like a tear jerker.
- GAME MISCONDUCT (The Dartmouth Cobras Book 1) by Bianca Sommerland <— HOCKEY STARS & IT’S SUPER-STEAMY FORBIDDENY??!!! These fellow readers say so!
Tasha: Game Misconduct by Bianca Sommerland. It was actually pretty good, too. I still remember most of it even though it was years ago when I read it. And I’ve read loads of naughty books, but something about that felt so forbidden.
Angela: I just finished reading – game misconduct, by Bianca Sommerland. Talk about steamy. I’m not usually into menage and this book definitely pushed my comfort zone, but it was a fantastic read and free right now in the kindle store happy readings
Bianca: game misconduct. Its pretty graphic but I can’t help but be enticed!
Melissa: It is sooo good and I am only on chapter 8!! Loving Dominick.
- Kids of Appetite by David Arnold <— ONE OF TASHA’S ALL TIME FAVORITES and it sounds like quite the journey!! “...in order to tell their story, Vic and Mad must focus on all the chapters in between...”
Jennifer: I also read Kids of Appetite in January also a great read and different story
Tasha: I’m so happy someone else read Kids of Appetite too! If I’d had read it sooner I would have said it was my favorite book last year, hands down. It’s definitely one of my all time favorites.
- Hell And Back by Natasha Madison <— BROKEN COP SUPER-BARGAIN ALERT!!! The author says: “With the new release of Pieces Of Heaven: Pieces Of Heaven (Heaven & Hell Book 2) I have just put my book Hell And Back that was released in October on sale … in celebration of my new book.”
- Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway <— THEY WERE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER UNTIL HE DISAPPEARED… and now… “Emmy’s parents can’t seem to let her grow up—not since the day Oliver disappeared. Oliver needs a moment to figure out his heart. . . . He’d thought, all these years, that his dad was the good guy. He never knew that it was his father who had kidnapped him and kept him on the run. Discovering it, and finding himself returned to his old hometown, all at once, has his heart racing, and his thoughts swirling…” (P.S. It’s super-bargain priced).
- All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel by Bryn Greenwood <— FORBIDDEN LOVE/TABOO ALERT!!! So many of us read this one when it was just released, but some are jumping in right now! And if you’re looking for unforgettable and a book that will make you uncomfortable, and have your heart and mind debating with each other, this is the one!
Tasha: Jennifer, it sounds like we have really similar tastes, you have me excited to read it!
Jennifer: Tasha, fairly taboo due to h’s age, lots of drug references, hard childhood upbringing and mental illness, but a beautiful, emotional, moving story. I loved it…but I don’t mind taboo.
- My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry: A Novel by Fredrik Backman <— SOUNDS LIKE AN EPIC EMOTIONAL JOURNEY ALERT! HER GRANDMOTHER IS HER BEST FRIEND AND THEN SHE DIES… but leaves letters of apology. “When Elsa’s grandmother dies and leaves behind a series of letters apologizing to people she has wronged, Elsa’s greatest adventure begins. Her grandmother’s instructions lead her to an apartment building full of drunks, monsters, attack dogs, and old crones but also to the truth about fairy tales and kingdoms and a grandmother like no other...”
Jennifer: My best of January read is My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry by Fredrick Bachman….same author as A Man Called Ove…he’s a genius. …My Grandmother Said to Tell You She’s Sorry is amazing…F Bachman is so imaginative…had some of the same feels I got while reading Rainbow Rowel books…completely different plot but the feels were similar.
- The Bird and the Sword by Amy Harmon <— HUGE HIT FANTASY ROMANCE that everyone loved!! And it’s back on the list ’cause Amy just deafened my with her squeeing.
Tessa: The Bird and the Sword was the best of the month. It just flowed correctly, and never felt odd or rushed. Also, to keep me engaged with a mute character who isn’t speaking in italics really says something about the author’s writing ability. Everyone who recommended it… THANK YOU!
Amy: Just finished The Bird and The Sword and OMG loved it!!! *squeals and happy dances* You are so right, Fabi. SO right!
Jean: Amy, wasn’t it amazing and unforgettable?!?!
Fabi: I’m so glad Tessa and Amy read The Bird and the Sword. It’s such a unique and perfect fantasy romance.
- AUDIOBOOK LVERS ➜ For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>
- AND! Here’s the fun-tool again! —> Find out which of YOUR Kindle ebooks are available as audiobooks at a BARGAIN-PRICE! <— This thing is so cool (Amazon calls it “Matchmaker“)! It’s an Amazon feature, that scans your Kindle books and will list all of the ones you have that are also available as an audiobook at a discounted price (not normal audiobook prices). This way, you can switch back and forth, seamlessly between your ebooks and your audiobooks. !!! VERY COOL!
PREORDERS (next week’s!!! )
- Grievous (Scarlet Scars Book 2) by J.M. Darhower – February 6th 2017
- The Game Changer by Scott Hildreth – February 6th 2017
- King’s Cage (Red Queen) by Victoria Aveyard - February 7th 2017
- The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death by Kim Harrison - February 7th 2017
- One More Kiss (Shaughnessy: Band on the Run) by Samantha Chase - February 7th 2017
- Buttons and Hate by Penelope Sky - February 7th 2017
- Every Dark Corner (The Cincinnati Series) by Karen Rose – February 7th 2017
- Born of Vengeance (The League: Nemesis Rising) by Sherrilyn Kenyon - February 7th 2017
- The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death by Kim Harrison - February 7th 2017
- Hard to Handle (Gargoyles Series) by Christine Warren - February 7th 2017
- Zero to Sixty (Body Shop Bad Boys Book 3) by Marie Harte - February 7th 2017
- Come Closer by Brenda Rothert - February 7th 2017
- Echoes in Death by J.D. Robb - February 7th 2017
- Holding on Tighter (A Wicked Lovers Novel) by Shayla Black - February 7th 2017
- Dare to Lie (The Sons of Steel Row) by Jen McLaughlin - February 7th 2017
- Make Me by Beth Kery - February 7th 2017
➜ CHECK OUT ALL the upcoming BOOK RELEASES here (frequently updated and it goes all the way to 2017!)
Get Maryse’s Book Blog updates delivered by email (you’ll get one daily email that will have each post from that day consolidated on it).