Friday Finds and Reader Recommendations – January 20th 2017

by Maryse on January 20, 2017 · 282 comments

in eBook Deals

The Friday Finds are here and we’ve got QUITE the list, today. Some new releases, some recent ones  that we’re getting awesome feedback on, and some that sound too good to miss. That one to the left (he’s her new boss… and extremely reclusive!!!) and a psych-thriller below are calling my name BIG TIME!!!!

P.S. BREAKING NEWS UPDATE!!! JASINDA WILDER’S LATEST JUST WENT LIVE!!! Badd Ass (Badd Brothers Book 2) The trouble with Zane isn’t getting him, it’s keeping him. And the trouble with me is, even if I could hold onto a man like Zane, I wouldn’t know what to do with him. It’s not in my nature, and if life has taught me anything, it’s to not trust anyone, least of all men like Zane.” ➜➜➜➜

But… I’m finishing up the latest HUGE Vi Keeland hit today (Egomaniac), and will be reviewing that shortly. :D !!!

Carly: Finally reading Egomaniac! It’s 3am. I’m tired, the devil child will not sleep. Since I can’t have a glitterbomb, I though I’d start this, and thank goodness I did! I haven’t laughed this much in a while (read: since KAs latest)

Leslie M: Maryse, I just finished Egomaniac. I liked it. 4****

Fabi: You read it Carly! It IS good isn’t it? Obviously, since Leslie gave it 4 stars. That means it’s an easy five star for me.

Ooooh and Leslie is SUPER picky!! That IS practically a 5 star from her. LOL!!!

Then, once I’m done, I’m likely jumping into one of these two below for the weekend. YAY ME!!!

Now… take a look at what else we found! (NOTE: some are bargain priced when I added them, but prices can change on Amazon, so make sure to check before you finalize your order. Sales listed are for Amazon U.S., however some of the Amazon UK links also reflect the sale!):

• Loving Ruby: The Riverstone Series Book 2 – Standalone by Roya Carmen <— LIVE!!!! ROYA CARMEN ALERT!!! HE’S HER NEW EXTREMELY RECLUSIVE BOSS…I’ve heard all the rumours: He killed his wife. He’s on house arrest. He’s a vampire. Yet still, when I get a job offer from the reclusive Mr. Hyde, I jump at the chance. Yes, I know I’m crazy. I’m cautious at first, but then I discover a beautiful, quirky man. I also see a tortured soul who lives in darkness…
  • Wrecking Ball (Hard To Love Book 1) by P. Dangelico <— LIVE!!! JERK-FACE FOOTBALL STAR AND SHE’S HIS NEW NANNY ALERT!Desperate times call for desperate measures, so when salvation comes in the form of one intolerable a-hole, who just happens to be the starting quarterback for the vaunted NY Titans, she has no choice but to accept his offer as a live-in nanny slash teacher for his eight year old nephew...”
  • Fractured (Vampire Awakenings, Book 6) by Brenda K. Davies <— LIVE!!!
  • Friction by Emily Snow <— EMILY SNOW ALERT!!! HE’S HER NEW BOSS & HER WORST NIGHTMARE because she shunned him as a slacker back when they were younger. “Because like every overachiever, she has that underachiever she brushed off. The slacker who, once upon a time ago, was the object of her dirtiest schoolgirl fantasies. Jace Exley—with his sarcastic smirk and delicious accent—just happens to be that guy…“  and this one’s back on the list ’cause Lisa M is LOVING it!

Lisa M: I just started Friction by Emily Snow. Hot hot hot & it just got very interesting!!! Oh my!!!! That’s where I’m at!!!! Anyone else reading it. What a list!!

Stephanie: It’s a great book! Love Emily Snow!

• The Memory Watcher – A Psychological Thriller by Minka Kent <— PSYCH-THRILLER ALERT!! SHE BECOMES OBSESSED WITH THE FAMILY THAT ADOPTED HER BABY when she finds their social media account. But then… they CLOSE the account. “Frantic and desperate to reconnect with her daughter, Autumn applies for a nanny position with the McMullens, manipulating herself into Grace’s life under false pretenses. And it’s only then that Autumn discovers pictures lie, the perfect family doesn’t exist, and beautiful people? They have the ugliest secrets…” I VERY lightly skimmed the reviews and they sound amazing… mostly all awesome ones and I’m getting an inkling of a CRAZY twist ending. YAY!!!!! MINE!!!!

Kat: This sounds so good I one clicked…

Maryse: RIGHT UP MY ALLEY, Kat!!!!!! :D Thank you!!!

Young: I just finished the Mark of the Tala by Jeffe Kennedy and loved it!! I want to recommend anyone who loves fantasy romance!!
  • The Mighty Have Fallen by Bonnie Dee <— LIVE!!! BONNIE DEE M/M ROMANCE ALERT!!Theatre headliner Trevor Rowland is at the peak of his career when disaster strikes. In one fell swoop, he loses his eyesight, his fame, and his boyfriend, who absconds with most of his money. Trevor must take on a flatmate, hardworking East Ender Jack Burrows, to afford the rent. Anger and bitterness have taken up residence in his heart—but Jack shines light into the shadowy corners with his relentlessly sunny disposition…

P.S. I absolutely LOVE this author!! Finding Home, New Life and Bone Deep were some of my absolute favorites back when I first fell in love with indie. She writes all sorts of love stories (from historical to contemporary romance) and they are beautifully written, but almost have a sort of forbidden, grittiness to them. VERY unique and addicting!!!

• Atonement (The Protectors, Book 6) by Sloane Kennedy <— LIVE!!! M/M ROMANCE ALERT! “Magnus knows he can start a new chapter and get his life back on track…if he can just get past the disturbing, unexpected feelings one young man stirs in him. Because everything about Dante Thorne is wrong for Magnus. His arrogance, his cocky attitude, every single unfiltered word that falls unchecked out of his mouth and, of course, the fact that he’s a man…” P.S. It CAN be read as a standalone.
  • Bound By Vengeance (Born in Blood Mafia Chronicles Book 5) by Cora Reilly <— LIVE!!! MAFIA ROMANCE ALERT!!
  • Jude’s Law (Law series Book 1) by Lori Foster <— HOLLYWOOD STAR LOOKING FOR A NORMAL GIRL ALERT! “She’s everything the former Hollywood bad boy actor came to Stillbrook, Ohio, hoping to find: open, honest, lovable, and full of those luscious curves you don’t find on stick-figure starlets—curves May doesn’t seem to appreciate in herself. Every time Jude tries to get close to the skittish business woman, to take her in his arms, she thinks he’s joking…” P.S. It’s super-bargain priced!
  • Lust by Leddy Harper <— LIVE!!! HE’S A SEX SURROGATE & SHE’S BEEN SCARED ALERT!!!…After years of seclusion and fear-induced abstinence, Ivy Jaymes came to me for help. I had done this sort of thing hundreds of times…but she was different. Ivy’s secrets threatened my own. Her darkness paralleled mine...” and Nancy found it for us!
Nancy: I really tried to tell everyone about this book this morning, but Amazon was not co-operating. LUST by Leddy Harper is a new release… She is a broken girl afraid of intimacy or being touched. He is a sex therapist who is very good at his job. Too bad he is broken, too!
  • Gabe’s Obsession : A Purgatory Masters Duet Book 1 by E.M. Gayle <— LIVE!! SHE LOST HER MEMORY…Gabe has waited a long time for Nina to come around. Her disdain for his lifestyle seemed like a barrier between them that couldn’t be broken. Until secrets more explosive than he expected changed everything...”
  • Wanted: A Most Wanted Novel by J. Kenner <— TORTURED HERO ALERT! SHE WAS WARNED TO STAY AWAY…My family warned me to stay away, that I could never handle Evan’s dark dealings or scarred past. Maybe I should have listened…“ P.S. It’s super-bargain priced!
  • To Have It All by B.N. Toler <— LIVE!!! A HOMELESS MAN & A RICH MAN ACCIDENTALLY SWITCH LIVES…When Max stepped into oncoming traffic, a lesser man might’ve let him. But Liam risked his life to save Max only to be left to die without a second thought. When Liam woke up days later, he wasn’t himself…at least he wasn’t in his body. He was in Max’s. And with Liam’s body on life support, there was only one logical conclusion: Max was trapped in Liam’s comatose body. Somehow the twisted hands of fate had given Liam a second chance; a chance to have it all...”
  • Calamity Rayne: Gets A Life by Lydia Michaels <— LIVE!! COMEDY ROMANCE/HER BOSS’S SON ALERT!! “Inexperienced with sophisticated settings, she does her best not to screw things up too severely, except there’s one complication she didn’t foresee—her boss’s devastatingly charming son, Hale Davenport…”
  • Beautiful Mistake by Laiza Millan <— LIVE!!! This one used to be on Wattpad… “Emma Collins never planned to bump into him ever again. Not to mention the fact that she hated him. But fate had other plans…
  • Taking Turns (The Turning Series Book 1) by JA Huss <— JA HUSS ALERT!! Three men and one woman, and each man is so different with her. “I should’ve thought it over before I accepted the key and unlocked the door to their forbidden world…
  • Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones <— HUGE SERIES SALE ALERT!!! The majority of the books in this series are on sale right now, in anticipation of Tuesday’s upcoming release!!! :D I one-clicked the HECK out of ‘em! NOTE: I don’t know how much longer they’ll be on sale because they were a Kindle Daily Deal, but when I posted this, they were still on sale. :D

Nay: Yes, I HIGHLY recommend the Charley Davidson series. Reyes Farrow is one of the hottest (literally and figuratively), super sexy heroes out there! I’ve said it before–it’s one of my fave paranormal series!

Libby: The Charley Davidson Series by Darynda Jones. …Charley is much less worried about what others think of her….but God, is she funny and witty. I just have to say, it’s my favorite series, so hopefully if you haven’t read it yet, but were considering it, please do, it’s AMAZING!.

Cristina: FINALLY!!! I’ve been wanting to read this series for a long time now, but it was a little on the pricier side so I held off. Now’s the time to start! Yes!!!! Thank you!!

• AUDIOBOOK L:DVERS ➜ For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>

• AND! Here’s the fun-tool again! —> Find out which of YOUR Kindle ebooks are available as audiobooks at a BARGAIN-PRICE! <— This thing is so cool (Amazon calls it “Matchmaker“)! It’s an Amazon feature, that scans your Kindle books and will list all of the ones you have that are also available as an audiobook at a discounted price (not normal audiobook prices). This way, you can switch back and forth, seamlessly between your ebooks and your audiobooks. :D !!! VERY COOL!

Suzan: I absolutely love audio books. I travel… A lot, 6 hours one way every week and I love how the time flies when engrossed in an audio book. The only drawback, I find, is that while new releases are available on e readers and paperback, it can take months or even years for the same book to appear in audio

Leslie M: Audiobooks rule!!! I have no idea how I lived without them.

PREORDERS (a few from over the next few days & some from next week’s!!! :D HOLY MOLY!! )

➜ CHECK OUT ALL the upcoming BOOK RELEASES here (frequently updated and it goes all the way to 2017!)

Get Maryse’s Book Blog updates delivered by email (you’ll get one daily email that will have each post from that day consolidated on it).

Grey January 20, 2017 at 11:08 AM

Me first…LOL!

Maryse January 20, 2017 at 11:43 AM

That, you are!!! :D

Tessa January 20, 2017 at 11:57 AM

She keeps winning! :D

Melanie January 20, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Awaken, the final book in the Brightest Kind of Darkness series comes out Tuesday! There’s also a bundle of the first 3 books on Amazon for 99¢!

Tessa January 20, 2017 at 1:06 PM

I started Yours to Bare by Jessica Hawkins last night. He essay, DNF. She’s unrealistically weak. All of it feels off and it is not making me feel good. Oh well. One more off my TBR from last year.

Kat P January 20, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Between The Raindrops is . 99 cents right now. I read out back in 2015 and still remember the story! It’s been re-released!!

Jean January 20, 2017 at 1:54 PM

Okay, I think Loving Ruby was specifically written just for me! And The Memory Watcher sounds so good! Thanks Maryse!

Maryse January 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM

Jean… you have great book-blurb taste!!! LOL! :P

Amy January 20, 2017 at 2:23 PM

The Memory Watcher has a crazy-twist ending?? MINE!!!

Wait, weren’t there several others that I said were MINE not long ago and I couldn’t wait to start them? *sigh* I know what I’m doing on my impromptu day off…cleaning up my library. Even if it WILL be painful to delete a bunch of books. :|

But it will be cleansing, too!! :D

Jean January 20, 2017 at 2:41 PM

I think I need to clean out too…..it will definitely reduce my stress level! I know that I downloaded a lot back in 2013/2014/2015 (and they were possibly free) that are just not so interesting to me anymore. But deleting a book….I don’t know…..it’s like throwing a book in the trash…..sacrilegious!!!

I still need to read Accidentally on Purpose!!

Fabi January 20, 2017 at 3:02 PM

Friiiidayyyy! So ready for the weekend and a couple of good books to sink into.

bev January 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Right there with you Fabi.

Can’t wait for the weekend.

Amy January 20, 2017 at 5:31 PM

I know, Jean…it makes me cringe to think of deleting books permanently, but I also cringe when I think of how click crazy I was for a couple of years. I’m much more selective now thankfully! At least if I DO delete a bunch of books, I’m only throwing away my money and not an actual book, ya know? And if they were free ones, well…no big deal. ;)

Be sure to let me know what you think of AOP when you do read it!

Amy January 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM

I forgot to ask at the beginning of the month…what did you guys pick for your Kindle First book for January?

I chose Never Again So Close, and even though it doesn’t have the best ratings (more 1-star than 5-star…ouch) I’m still willing to give it a try.

Jean January 20, 2017 at 6:03 PM

I never picked one Amy. Nothing looked appealing.

Grey January 20, 2017 at 6:53 PM

I haven’t picked mine yet either…

R. Renee January 20, 2017 at 6:56 PM

Is Never Again So Close one Amy? I can’t remember what I picked, but that one’s in my Kindle and I don’t recognize it, so it must be the one.

Nay January 20, 2017 at 7:44 PM

I haven’t picked my KF book yet either. Better check them out before I forget.

Jean, I haven’t read AOP yet either!

That’s funny that y’all mentioned cleaning because I spent about 3 hours deleting books from GR today–lots of freebies that I got a few years ago.

Amy January 20, 2017 at 7:51 PM

Jean and Grey…just pick one! It’s free so you have nothing to lose. ;) Yeah, I say this after proclaiming I am going to delete books I have no intention of reading. *snort*

Yep R, it is. I figure with the reviews, it can go either way for me. Hausfrau has a lot of 1-star reviews yet I freaking loved it, but then Sweetbitter had a lot of 1-star reviews and I would agree with them…I just felt cruddy and disappointed after reading it.

Amy January 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM

Nay…definitely check them out. Worst-case scenario is you end up deleting it later, right?

R. Renee January 20, 2017 at 8:06 PM

I always make sure to download them, but I don’t know why I even bother. I don’t have time to read the books I KNOW I want to read!

Nay January 20, 2017 at 8:13 PM

Wow–looks like six stinkers to me. I think I’ll pass! I have kindle unlimited, which all of these books always are, anyway. So if by some miracle I wanted to borrow one later, I could. Isn’t that two months in a row without any type of ‘romance’ choice??

Fabi January 20, 2017 at 8:15 PM

I’m running about a month behind on my KF books but I do read them. In fact I just finished my December pick today.

bev January 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM

None looked good to me either.

I don’t want to jinx myself before I actually get home, but I’m just over today.
I feel like I should knock on wood now.

R. Renee January 20, 2017 at 8:40 PM

I’ve never seen a true romance choice since I started it!

bev January 20, 2017 at 8:44 PM

I was just thinking that.
I wonder why?

R. Renee January 20, 2017 at 9:00 PM

IDK. It’s weird. I’d think romance would be a big draw.

Nay January 20, 2017 at 9:33 PM

I was thinking they used to have them kind of often.Maybe not anything classified specifically as a ‘romance’ but a literary fiction which you could tell was a romance. I could be wrong. I know I’ve picked a couple of urban fantasies or ya’s that at least looked to be romance(ish).

Fabi January 20, 2017 at 9:37 PM

The one I just finished, my Dec pick, was adult dystopian romance. These are like finding a diamond in a pile of coal. Very hard to come by. I just lucked into it because Amazon had it classified as a sci-fi and it kind of sounded like a tech thriller from the blurb. It was neither. lol It was a nice surprise.

bev January 20, 2017 at 10:25 PM

How wonderful is Big Star’s Thirteen?
Every time I hear it I just smile.

Julie o January 21, 2017 at 5:50 AM

Fabi
What was the name of that book? The distopian one? Always looking for good ones.
Thanks

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 7:44 AM

Oh yeah Fabi! You were mentioning it a few days ago. Which one was it? It was the one you thought was a pick for January Kindle First readers…

Nay January 21, 2017 at 7:51 AM

I looked at Fabi’s GR activity (Because I want to know what it is too! I’m all over an ADULT dystopian romance!), and I think it’s ‘Fate of Perfection’ (Finding Paradise, #1) by K.F. Breene

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 7:56 AM

Okay guys… secret confession.

I dont delete any books or discard any, in case for some crazy preposterous reason one day… nobody ever writes books again.

And then at least I might have enough left over to last me a lifetime.

I know. Crazy, right? I read too much. :|

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 8:02 AM

You guys should just make a folder/category for them instead called “In case of an Apocalypse” ;)

bev January 21, 2017 at 9:46 AM

I bet that is where Maryse puts all our peanut recs. On her, “In case of an Apocalypse ” shelf.

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM

OMG it’s like Children of Men, only Books of Readers. Totally making my Apocalypse shelf on GR now!

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Thanks Nay. That’s the one

Maryse I love your book shelf idea. That might be fun to do one day when I have time on my hands.

Hey guys, this is kind of a fun list to see how many we’ve read. GRs top 100 romance books.

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 10:15 AM

LOL!!!!!!! :P

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Done. I had a DNF shelf, but I’m trying to be more positive this year so I renamed it “to be revisited.” Just now I renamed it “in case of apocalypse.” It will hold DNFs and books I own that I’m no longer interested in! Awesome! And no authors feelings were hurt in the making of this shelf.

Tessa January 21, 2017 at 10:34 AM

Lol I’m afraid there is a random Jewel that isn’t apparent in my books, so they are all staying, though not downloaded. Thankfully most of my unread books were free, so because of that alone, I rarely see them.

I have two collections of books I paid for. TBR Now – books I paid for, and Continued – free or paid books that continue a series. Every other collection is free or KU, (one collection called KU).

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Exactly Tessa… what IF? You know?

What if 50% of them end up REALLY darn good? Or even a quarter of ‘em?

What if our next all-time favorite is right there in that batch?

Back when I first started reading indie, so many of the covers were just… NO. But darn it, if I didn’t find the best of the best in there.

bev January 21, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Fabi, only 47.
*hangs head in shame*
Though very quick count could be one or two less or one or two more.
I need to go mark them as read and take a closer look at some, though some have been in my tbr for forever.

Tessa January 21, 2017 at 11:10 AM

59 so far. There are still a few want to reads on that list, though a few I’ve no desire to read.

Also, Memoirs of a Geisha a romance? It was a great book (though I think she chose wrong), but a romance?

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Dang ladies, that’s awesome. I’ve only read 23 and a couple of those were dnfs. However, I do have quite a few of those on my tbr…waiting. :-/

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 11:19 AM

LOL 16 for me and I thought that was pretty good!

bev January 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM

No desire to read Sparks.

Remember when Memoirs of a Geisha was the book to read?
Madonna even went through a period inspired by it if memory serves.

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM

44 for me…

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 12:14 PM

ditto bev

I was pleased to see all the PNR in there.

All of you have read nearly half. Seems I still have quite a bit of catching up to do in this genre.

Kathy P January 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Tapping the Billionaire by Max Monroe is free. When I think of all the money that I could have saved in books if I had just been patient in waiting longer to buy:)

bev January 21, 2017 at 1:06 PM

I wonder has every one finished their January reads?

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 1:13 PM

I finished mine!

MichelleS January 21, 2017 at 1:40 PM

41 for me! Woohoo

MichelleS January 21, 2017 at 1:41 PM

I finished and loved my January read: Tell the Wolves I’m Home… set in 80′s.

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Maryse!! Are you on GR rating books or have you been hacked!!??

Tessa January 21, 2017 at 1:43 PM

I remember the craze. It got my niece to read it, who then insisted I read it.

Finished my January read a while ago. I wanted to read it before all the book buying started. I didn’t want to resent the book for keeping me away from books I’ve been looking forward to.

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 1:45 PM

I finished (sort of) my January read too. I have my Fev challenge book lined up and ready to go as soon as February kicks off.

MichelleS January 21, 2017 at 1:48 PM

What’s everyone reading this weekend? I started Shadowfae… wanted UF. Giant sex fest so far… like later Anita Blake. Sheesh. I love sexy sexy time, but holy moly…

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM

I’m reading 2 at a time. Murmuration by TJ Klune and Reckless Abandon by Jeannine Colette. I have a wee little crush on Klune right now but I need some good ole fashioned first person/present tense romance for writing inspiration.

bev January 21, 2017 at 1:51 PM

Wow, Maryse. Trying not to judge, but it’s taking you a long time to read Crave.
Lol.

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 1:58 PM

MichelleS: “giant sex fest”

This weekend?! Why wasn’t I invited?

Tessa January 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Lol

I’m reading Neighborhood. It’s pretty long, but decent so far. I can’t say to much because spoilers. I’m just saying something stopped and I am very grateful it did.

bev January 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Not sure. Want my list, lol.

I gave 4 library books that I need to read or re check out by the end of the week.
Then also looking at
Eversea
The Soldiers Scoundrel
Color me Crazy Wild Awake
The Unexpected Everything

Or anything else that may catch my eye or mood.
Basically 3 dnf in a row and not able to settle on one yet.

bev January 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM

R warned us about Fabi the house guest.

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM

I have a signed Eversea I need to read!

bev January 21, 2017 at 2:06 PM

That should be
Color me Crazy
Wild Awake

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 2:07 PM

ick, I went through that dnf thing recently bev. It puts me in a bad mood. Sorry, no suggestions on the ones you have lined up since I’ve seldom even heard of the the books you read. Except Eversea. I’ve heard of that one. Not sure if it’s in my tbr or not. Hope you land on a great one for the weekend.

Tessa January 21, 2017 at 2:11 PM

You should all three read Eversea. It was so good that everyone recommended it and I am so glad I finally tried it and read it.

Tessa January 21, 2017 at 2:12 PM

You 3 could BR!

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 2:13 PM

I’m down!

bev January 21, 2017 at 2:14 PM

The Soldiers Scoundrel is a historical M/M that popped up on a lot of 2016 favorite lists.

Color me Crazy is a KU…..not sure if it was a random grab or heard about it somewhere.

Other two YA that I’ve seen good reviews recs for.

bev January 21, 2017 at 2:16 PM

I can go for Eversea.

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Let me know when!

bev January 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Lol.
I think I have told you before Fabi that your reads are the same for me.
That you pop up with new to me books and authors all the time.

bev January 21, 2017 at 2:27 PM

I’m open R today or tomorrow or next week to next month, lol.
I’m rarely rigid in my reading timeline. Unless it’s an automatic buy/read.
Ok, I re looked at the Prime reads and I chose In the Shadow of Lakecrest. Compares it to Flowers in the Attic…….which we and usually no. But also to Rebecca which I love.

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 2:29 PM

You can decide bev. I’ve got 2 going right now but that doesn’t matter. I can slip it in anytime <– totally threw that in for Amy and Maryse :D

Just let me know when you want to start!

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 2:32 PM

R is in for a threesome! or, ummm, a foursome (sorry, had to count on my fingers to get up that high). ;-)

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 2:33 PM

Are you reading it too Fabi? Who else?

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 2:36 PM

I’m already committed this weekend. :-( Hate passing up on the kinky times. I could fit it next week though. You and bev may still be reading it. I could probably start it Monday or Tuesday.

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 2:37 PM

This is another one I don’t even know what it’s about! I just liked the cover :)

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 2:39 PM

I get it R. I am extremely partial to books that I like the covers on. Covers and titles are my catnip.

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 2:40 PM

It’s why I keep accidentally reading YA LOL.

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 2:44 PM

R!! That was me.

The problem with me ‘n Goodreads is I can’t remember my password. SOMETIMES it lets me in, (like an auto-logged in session) and then I can sort of do things. But I can’t enter groups and stuff unless I re-enter my password.

Which… I don’t know. And yes… I can go through the whole email reset password thing, but then, I go… “eh… screw it.” And I leave. LOL!!! :P

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 2:46 PM

bev… what’s Crave? Am I supposed to be reading Crave?

Oh oh.

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 2:47 PM

Yeah you guys, Eversea was nice. I liked it.

And my sister LOVED IT like crazy. Fell so hard for the hero.

Maryse January 21, 2017 at 2:48 PM

Hahhaha R!!!!

db.

*smirk*

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Maryse, is there a way to search for a book to see if you’ve reviewed it? When I use the main search box, every mention of the book comes up.

bev January 21, 2017 at 3:07 PM

Crave by JR Ward, lol. It is under your currently reading.
You have a lot of friends.

Fabi, can totally wait until you can start.

Nay January 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM

I haven’t read my Jan. book yet. I’m slumping…bad. Never started anything yesterday, so I’m going to start Jezebel right now and get it done.

After I check to see how many of the 100 books I’ve read…

Nay January 21, 2017 at 3:27 PM

I’ve read 52.

I’ve never even heard of a few of them! And I noticed several that I need to leave reviews/ratings for.

Nay January 21, 2017 at 3:32 PM

re: Eversea. Did anyone mention it’s free on Amazon?

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 3:34 PM

LOL of course it is since I bought the paperback! I really need to start checking first! Oh well, at least I won’t mess up my pretty copy. Thanks for letting us know Nay!

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 4:05 PM

Ok, bev and R. I was going to start Wall of Winnipeg on Tues. I can replace it with Eversea. You guys can start earlier if you don’t want to wait for me and I’ll catch up. I could probably switch with Black Swan Affairs and even start Eversea on Monday. A little calendar juggle never hurt anyone. :-)

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 4:07 PM

I’m good with Tues or whenever!

Amy January 21, 2017 at 4:25 PM

I was in Toys R Us to pick up a baby shower gift and was too busy texting to notice some puke until I stepped in it.

F. M. L.

Amy January 21, 2017 at 4:25 PM

I have some catching up to do on here when I get home, you chatty ladies. ;)

Cheryl January 21, 2017 at 4:30 PM

I just can’t seem to comment as often as I had been. So much keeping me busy. Miss reading and commenting daily. :( I just read Egomaniac and Love in Lingerie. Similar dual pov, sweet, minimal angst reads.

Cheryl January 21, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Amy, I feel your pain. My dog had unbeknownst to me thrown up on my rug. I rolled across it when I was using my foam roller to stretch after working out.

Good times!!

bev January 21, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Tuesday is great.

Cheryl January 21, 2017 at 5:14 PM

Oh yeh, I’ve read Eversea and Forever Jack and loved them!!

Cheryl January 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Curious about Neighbors by Stylo Fantome since book 2 is now released. Anyone read it?

Nay January 21, 2017 at 5:36 PM

Cheryl–I think Tessa read it.

Cheryl January 21, 2017 at 5:55 PM

Thanks Nay. Hopefully Tessa will chime in with an update. ;)

MichelleS January 21, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Me n Fabi’s sex fest would be boring, since we’re all hot & bothered by m/m romances. Speaking of, my ears perked up with the mention of historical m/m. My next read needs to be m/m I think. I’m a gay man, who knew?

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 6:22 PM

I’m so with you guys. It’s bad enough MF romances are unrealistic fantasies, but MM romances are hot on a seriously depressing level (for a straight F anyway) :-/

Amy January 21, 2017 at 6:25 PM

“I read too much. :| ” <—— Don't you mean you're too fond of books and it has turned your brain? :P

BLECH Cheryl!!!!! That's even worse!!!

Amy January 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Okay, here goes my responses to all of the chatter up there…

I have a collection named The Chopping Block in my Kindle app with books ready to be deleted, but now y’all have me paranoid about a bookless apocalypse so I’m afaid to delete them…I totally snorted over bev’s comment about Maryse putting our peanut recs in her Apocalypse shelf…I’ve read 23 from that list but I’m a bundle of pissed-off nerves now because I saw The Perfect Game on there…I’ve finished my January read and was pleasantly surprised with the story line…a sex fest sounds fun to me but only if Fabi is there so we can “look at nail polish” and then R writes about it *winks at Fabi*…I STILL need to read Eversea…In the Shadow of Lakecrest sounds like all kinds of darkly fun craziness…and last but not least, Oblivion (Obsidian in Daemon’s POV) is .99 right now!

I think that about covers everything. ;)

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM

I’ve missed you Amy!!

Amy January 21, 2017 at 6:51 PM

Missed you too, R!!! *snuggle-hugs R*

Guess what we’re drinking tonight?

YUM!!!

R. Renee January 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Yum!! Yes please!

bev January 21, 2017 at 7:10 PM

Amy you should read Eversea with is. I wonder what our different opinions on it would be.

Amy January 21, 2017 at 7:19 PM

Hmmmm, I just might. My only concern is comparing it too much to Love Unscripted…but then again, it may give me similar feels which would be a definite WIN! :D

Amy January 21, 2017 at 7:20 PM

Remind me…what’s February’s theme?

Nay January 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM

I’m confused. When you delete your books from your kindle, they stay on your cloud (and you can still get them back from Amazon OR download them from your cloud), so why is there a concern about ‘deleting’ them??

Are you saying that if there’s an apocalypse, the internet will be down and you’ll only have what you have already on your kindle? If so, that makes sense–as long as we have electricity to charge our kindles!

bev January 21, 2017 at 7:25 PM

Except in Eversea he is secretly married. Then the accident leaving him in the wheelchair so a bit different. More angsty and serious.

bev January 21, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Feb is Sci Fi or pnr

Nay January 21, 2017 at 7:28 PM

I’m trying to choose among about 6 books for Feb.

Amy January 21, 2017 at 7:33 PM

Oh YAY! I have several to pick from for February. :D

Nay January 21, 2017 at 7:38 PM

I think I have about 400 to pick from, but I’ve narrowed it down to 6! lol

bev January 21, 2017 at 7:55 PM

Nay, I think they mean a total delete from their account.

MichelleS January 21, 2017 at 8:07 PM

Married? Wheelchair??? Those better not be spoilers! I just downloaded it for the buddy read.

Why did I think it was time travel? Is there one with the same cover that’s time travel? I have book dementia.

Leslie M January 21, 2017 at 8:13 PM

Bev, your sneaky, sarcastic, (and FAKE) spoilers are killing me.

I keep bursting out laughing and hubs is looking at me like I’m crazy.

bev January 21, 2017 at 8:16 PM

Whoa.

MichelleS. That’s the big twist.
Dude.

I can’t believe you spoiled it.

Duck.

Wrath of Marmy incoming.

Nay January 21, 2017 at 8:16 PM

Oh, thanks Bev! I haven’t deleted any from my account. If they can sit out there on my cloud, I’m good with that! But I did delete a bunch of them that I’m pretty sure I’ll never read from my GR shelves.

Leslie M January 21, 2017 at 8:17 PM

I liked Eversea, but really liked Forever Jack.

I’d also recommend All That Jazz.

Cheryl January 21, 2017 at 8:17 PM

OMG Bev, I did a double-take with your comment. For a minute I was like maybe there’s a different Eversea book??!! You are so bad!!!! :>

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 8:25 PM

bev you were saved by barely a hair’s breath. I was reading the piled up comments and already had a nasty response primed for your spoilers. Then thankfully Leslie piped in just in time and now Cheryl too to prevent me from making a fool of myself. I always appreciate your dry sense of humor. It’s my favourite kind. But…girl!…even you don’t get to mess with BOOKS. —- LOL

bev January 21, 2017 at 8:28 PM

Lol.

I’m just picturing Fabi reading my comment and getting mad but having to hold it in until she politely read through all the comments.
Lol.

Jan January 21, 2017 at 8:29 PM

Huh. I’ve only read 19 of those GR top 100 romance books. WTAH? I read a lot and thought I would have read more of them, but noooooo. I’ve got a few on my tbr, though. I haven’t read any Nicholas Sparks either, bev. Never felt drawn to them. I like everyone’s creative ideas for renaming dnf shelves. I’m reluctant to delete kindle books even when I didn’t like them cos I got caught once wanting (after a while) to reread a book then realising I’d deleted it. Ruh-roh. So now my unwanteds just sit there……. just waiting for the apocalypse I guess :)
This weekend I’m reading and enjoying a HR – A Summer To Remember by Mary Balogh. I’ve read the rest of the series but somehow never this one. I’m liking it.

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 8:34 PM

lol, yup, I’d already copied your post and everything. I mean, shoot, we’re talking SPOILERS. I was all:. http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/umad.gif

Leslie M January 21, 2017 at 8:45 PM

Yuckers to stepping in or rolling in puke! *gags*

Funny puke story….I was squating down to pick up cat puke when I went into labor for my son. That’s “Leslie fun fact” for you!

Off that GR list, I have read 39, dnf-ed 3 and have 3 on my TBR. I’m with you guys on Nicholas Sparks – no can do!

bev January 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM

I’m sorry, Fabi.

But Chris Farley is always welcome.

bev January 21, 2017 at 8:56 PM

Jan, you’ve watched North and South with Richard Armitage, right?

Amy January 21, 2017 at 9:47 PM

So, I just went through Maryse’s new release and Friday posts from the last couple of weeks to make sure I clicked all the ones which caught my en started my 2017 collection in my Kindle app, and dangit but I’ve already bought 35 books since January 1. Whatever. They all look amazing.

That being said…I need a number between 1 and 35. Someone? Anyone? Thanks!!

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 9:52 PM

LOL Amy!!! I’ve been bearing myself up for accumulating half a dozen in my 2017 tbr in spite of my NYR and it’s not even the end of January.

I feel so much better now. lol *hugs*

oh, and, ummm, 8!!!!!!!

Fabi January 21, 2017 at 9:52 PM

*beating

Nay January 21, 2017 at 10:02 PM

Amy–24

MichelleS January 21, 2017 at 10:10 PM

Leslie, had to do a double take… I read That as “All That Jizz”… and was like… oh no, gross… then reread it… oopsie. I kid you not.

So no married guy or wheelchairs? Oh, okay you sneaky pot stirrer.

Tessa January 21, 2017 at 10:15 PM

That Chris Farley look is priceless.

Neighbors and Neighborhood. I’m enjoying it. I read Neighbors and that one was intense, but Neighborhood is um… It’s good, but I can’t really describe it without spoilers. I even deleted like five ways to describe it without spoilers, and my descriptions got spoilery. So good, but not finished yet. Also, not as much angst as the first book.

bev January 21, 2017 at 10:18 PM

No, but there is time travel.

Amy 4

Jan January 21, 2017 at 10:25 PM

Oh Michelle. ROTFL. Don’t they call that a Freudian slip??????

Amy, your clickin’ finger has gone mad :O *hugs*

And yeah bev. I laaarrrved North and South :) TV show that is. I haven’t read the book LOL.

bev January 21, 2017 at 10:49 PM

Ok, going to try The Soldiers Scoundrel. Hopefully makes me want to stay up late reading instead of dnf.

Jan, I have planned on reading the book forever.
Any time I see mention I have the urge to re-watch and such a good winter movie, you know?

Have you read Act Like It? A lot of readers said that they pictured RA for the hero.
I liked him in the Vicar of Dibley too.

Amy January 21, 2017 at 10:54 PM

Fabi, don’t feel bad…we’re here to support *cough* ENABLE *cough* each other. And number 8 is Everything You Want Me to Be! Remember how good that one sounded?? Great pick, my friend!

Nay and bev…24 and 4 are Cruel Beautiful World and Thizz: A Love Story, respectively. Dangit! I’m supposed to read a 2016 click next. *sigh* Okay, those will be the next two I read when I come around to 2017 again. ;)

Amy January 21, 2017 at 10:56 PM

“All That Jizz”?????

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! OMG it sounds like a porn title!!!

Cheryl January 22, 2017 at 12:21 AM

Thanks Tessa. I wasn’t sure what to expect with this author and the wild messed-up ride she took us on with The Kane Trilogy. I can understand the difficulty regarding spoilers, but the bottom line is you like it and recommend the books? I was looking for something “different” and this seemed to fit.

Tessa January 22, 2017 at 12:36 AM

I think that describes all her books, different. The only one I haven’t liked is The Bad Ones, and that’s more subjective to the type of book you like. Bad Ones was different, just not the type of different I like.

Oh, the ride is wild, though compared to the Kane Trilogy, not that insane. rofl. I love that trilogy. :D

D.G. January 22, 2017 at 1:35 AM

Hello! First off…The whole Eversea series was great! Read and enjoy!

To Have It All and Menace were Loved, LOVED!!!

To Have It All … had a total different plot. The whole switching bodies thing totally worked…well wrote and not far fetched at all. Totally fell for the confused but hot Liam…

Menace…yeah, shockingly this CH I was ok with…maybe because the conclusion will be out Feb 6th!!! This book…left me guessing until the end. I sooo totally thought I had it figured out early on BUT was SO wrong!! J.M. Darhower knows how to write a MAFIA book! Loved this made man’s quirky personality, loved the DND’s strong and fearless side yet vulnerable also. Just LOVED kitten all together!

Maryse January 22, 2017 at 8:19 AM

YAY DG!!!! To Have it All… I remember how cool that blurb was, so this is good news.

And another J.M Darhower hit? VERY cool!

Leslie M January 22, 2017 at 8:58 AM

*picks self up off of floor after hysterically laughing*

All that “jizz”. I was dying thinking my stupid autocorrect REALLY typed that. Phew! Thank God it was just Michelle’s dirty mind. *smirks*

Yeah, so the whole “not adding to the tbr” thing has gone down toilet for me too. I’ve added 22 so far this month.

MichelleS January 22, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Since I was in the mood for m/m I almost picked Soldier’s Scoundrel, but picked September instead. Not just m/m, but May-September romance too! He’s 48, successful D.C. lawyer, falls for a 26 year old PT. Really like it so far! Very authentic.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 1:19 PM

I’m doing a BR with bev and R in a day or so. I’m trying really hard to not be worried. Then, I get my GR daily digest and see this:
R added 15 books to her tbr – only 1 of them is on my tbr
bev added 18 books to her tbr – I’ve read six (not quite as bad)
But…really ladies? Were you trying to make me more nervous about Eversea? Also, and most importantly, will you still be my friends if it turns out I don’t like it?

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 1:26 PM

Lol Fabi! I know zilch about Eversea except it has a pretty cover and it was signed so I bought it! I may be the one who doesn’t like it! But I probably won’t DNF because of that stupid GR challenge lol!

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 1:31 PM

What does the GR challenge have to do with dnfs? I’ve dnf’d several this month. I mark them read and drop them in my dnf folder without a rating and with or without comments depending on why dnf’d. Sure, GR counts them as reads for the challenge. But 1. I did try to read it and 2. I always goal myself a bit lower than what I think I’ll read. and 3. my dnfs offset my epic length books.

So *shrug* what does the challenge have to do with dnfs?

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 1:45 PM

I have my “dnf” shelf set up as one of the main ones, so it doesn’t count it as read. I did it on purpose because I want to review all the books I read and I don’t feel right rating/reviewing DNFs because it’s most likely my fault for picking it.

bev January 22, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Maybe you, MichelleS, and I will like it, but the R and Amy (if she joins in) will find it a terrible bore with not one death scene or the h not pregnant by the H’s best friend.

Then we will shun them.

bev January 22, 2017 at 1:50 PM

I only count the books I finish in my year end count of books read.
Also, if I skim them I don’t count them.

Now if it is a book I read years ago……I can’t be sure if it was a skim or read. A dnf I will remember. But that doesn’t count to current goal anyway.
*shrug*

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 1:52 PM

Lol bev! One of these days you’re going to nail it with your fake spoilers and you’re gonna get in trouble! <–singsong voice.

bev January 22, 2017 at 1:53 PM

And.

Damn.

I had not realized I’d added that many to my tbr. I think I probably even have more to add. I’m sucking at this whole tbr resolution.

bev January 22, 2017 at 1:55 PM

I know.

And no one will believe me that I didn’t really know.

Amy January 22, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Um, sorry in advance Fabi…I’m about to update my GR account. *cringes* I just looked at my profile and realized it hasn’t been updated since I was reading Chimera and When We Collided, which was a while ago.

So, you’re about to get bombarded with my TBR books as well. ;)

Amy January 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM

“And no one will believe meet that I didn’t really know.” <—— The bev who cried wolf and all. *snort*

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 2:10 PM

Ok, so I still don’t get it. My dnf shelf is a main shelf I guess. Is it that you don’t want to mark them as read if you dnf? I prefer to mark them as read so they’re off my tbr list.

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM

I made an “exclusive” shelf. It works like the TBR shelf, so if I add a book to it, it isn’t “read” but it isn’t on my TBR either. I also use it for books I own that I know I’ll probably never read. I renamed it the apocalypse shelf per Maryse’s suggestion yesterday! I have a few shelves like this. I made a “considering” shelf for books I don’t want to dismiss, but that I’m not ready to add to my TBR.

MichelleS January 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM

my currently reading list on GR is my DNF book in case I want to go back & finish – some good ones I just wasn’t “feeling” at the time. The To Reads are the ones that caught my eye & I want to check out possibly

bev January 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM

I guess I could make a dnf shelf I just do not want them to count towards my goal.

MichelleS January 22, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Currently reading is also what I really am currently reading! I have a separate DNF on my Kindle too – so I don’t hurt anyone’s feelings too much….

bev January 22, 2017 at 2:31 PM

Lol. Anything I buy I just add to my want to read.
If I remember to shelf it is after I’ve read it.
You all are so organized.

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM

bev if you just make your DNF shelf an exclusive shelf, it won’t count as read. Click on the button in “edit shelves.”

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Actually R. u don’t think that works with your shelves. GR’s tbr shelf is a built-in not modifiable folder. Any book you add to GR goes on your tbr shelf and stays there until you make it ‘read’. Since I want my dnfs off my tbr, I mark them read even if I don’t rate or review them. I also add them to my custom dnf shelf so if I look back and wonder why that book is not rated or reviewed, I see that it is not only in my Read folder but also in my dnf folder.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 2:44 PM

*u = “I”

Cheryl January 22, 2017 at 2:46 PM

Not sure I understand how others TBR is bombarding Fabi??

I also have dnf shelf on GR and doesn’t count towards read.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Ok my Aussie friends, I need a translation please. I’m reading an N.R. Walker book. I love her and her stories. She writes in Australian English and sometimes provides translations for us provincials in the USA. But I just read a scene and am totally clueless what this word/phrase means.

Guys sitting at a table in a bar. One orders a shot of tequila for all after some astounding news from one friend at the table.

” No one spoke for a while, but everyone looked at me like I was a puzzle to solve. Then Connor held his hand up to get the bartender’s attention. “Five shots of tequila, straight up.” I laughed at that and drained my beer. “My shout?” I asked around the table. No one answered. ”

What does “My shout” stand for or mean in this context?

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Cheryl, no one’s tbr is bombarding me. I was just noticing the books bev and R added to theirs yesterday.

Also, agree, a dnf shelf on GR does not count those books as “read”, so they remain on the main tbr shelf in your account unless/until you mark them as ‘read’.

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Fabi, if you go into your bookshelves, then click on edit, any one you make “exclusive” will be just like “read” or “currently reading” or “to read.” I discovered this when I had to set up the “year in review” book. Look at my shelves and you’ll see what I mean. basically, I don’t have to choose between “read” and “to read” anymore. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/47734324-robin-hill

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Well that’s a pretty darn cool feature you discovered R. I had no idea what “exclusive” stood for. You know, with all the cool things you discover online in social media, you should go into the IT field. ;-)

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 2:59 PM

I probably should have!

es it’s really cool. And having the “considering” shelf really makes my TBR manageable. I noticed I spend a lot less because the books in there are books I REALLY want to read and I own several of them already. The only time I buy a book or start a non TBR book these days is if there’s huge buzz I can’t resist or I’m hooked on an author.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 3:07 PM

I love it! I have my Kindle shelves set up similarly but had no idea I could also do it on GR. I want my tbr to show only books bought & paid for. Not necessarily a wish list of books.

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM

It’s perfect for that! And it’s great for adding book recommendations you don’t want to commit to *cough bev and Ela cough*

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 3:24 PM

I foresee a revamp of my GR shelves in the near future. As daunting a task as that seems.

bev January 22, 2017 at 3:24 PM

This is why Jean is my favorite.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Why is Jean your favorite?

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 3:33 PM

R. I just looked at your GR shelf set up. I don’t see either a dnf or a GBL shelf. So where do you put those?

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Fabi…apocolypse shelf lol

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 3:38 PM

They’re either DNFs or books I own that I’ve lost interest in.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 3:42 PM

Ah, makes perfect sense. I’m going to need a work vacation to work on reorganising my GR shelves. :-/

Tessa January 22, 2017 at 3:42 PM

Thanks R for that about Goodreads. I don’t care if it’s in my read or not, but making it soley DNF does make it a lot easier. Though, I guess I should rename it? lol

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM

lol Tessa. I’d rather have an author know I dnf’d their book because it didn’t work for me than see I finished it with a one star rating because I hated it.

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 3:58 PM

I agree with both. I hate the phrase DNF because like I said earlier, it’s usually my fault for picking a book I know I shouldn’t have. However, how kind is it to put a book on a shelf called “in case of apocalypse”? :D

bev January 22, 2017 at 4:00 PM

I wonder if any authors will look at that shelf and think, Aww. Mine is the book R will save during the apocalypse.

It reminds me of Desert Island disc. Where they choose the songs they’d want with them on a desert island and if the waves are coming in which one they’d save.

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 4:07 PM

Lol or they’ll think, oh great. The world will have to end before she reads my book!

I just opened my kindle app and 4 of my books say they are on loan and can’t be read, but I KNOW they aren’t! Has this happened to anyone?

bev January 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM

Now….what will be tonight’s read.

Maryse, I put a book on hold at the library. I keep seeing good reviews for it. It’s a psychological thriller, though I haven’t even read the blurb. Just going off others reactions.
When it comes in you should read it too.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 5:13 PM

My weekend reads have been fantastic. Very different plots and feels in each book but both great in their own right. *fist pumps air* good books = good weekend

Jan January 22, 2017 at 6:00 PM

Fabi, in Australia, ‘My shout’ means ‘I will buy a drink for everyone in our group’. ‘Your shout’ would mean ‘It’s your turn to buy a drink for everyone in the group’. It can be used as a verb as in: ‘I shouted everyone a drink.’ You can also ‘shout’ other things e.g. ‘Mum will shout us all to go to the movies.’ ‘Oh great! It’s Mum’s shout!’

I didn’t realise this was such an aussie term. Huh.

Tessa January 22, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Actually, I have no troubles saying, nope DNF because I feel that it’s saying the truth. For whatever reason, I didn’t finish it.

Tessa January 22, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Oooh, I learned something new. Thank you Jan!

bev January 22, 2017 at 6:25 PM

I guess it’s not uncommon for American publishers to change regional lingo for the American market.
I think that is sad.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 6:43 PM

Jan you’re a gem. Thank you so much. I would have never guessed that. Now I think I know that “Mum will shout us all to go to the movies” means “Mim will take us all to the movies (or maybe drive us)” either way I get the general meaning. But, what does this mean? “Oh great! It’s Mum’s shout!”. Is it her turn?

I love learning new things!!!

And yeah, Australian English is quite a bit more difficult for us North Americans than British or Canadian English. Maybe not quite as difficult as Scottish or Irish English but that’s mostly accent based. Reading is less difficult.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 6:50 PM

Tessa, dnf doesn’t have negative connotations for me either. It could be personal triggers, it could be mood, it could be a simple squirrel to another book being gushed over. dnf does not mean “I hated your story” or “you’re a terrible writer” unless I specifically state in my review that the dnf was due to plot/writing.

Is a five star rating better than a dnf rating? Probably. Is a dnf worse than a 1, 2, or 3 rating? Not necessarily.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Do some of still keep a GBL pile? I remember we started that a couple of years ago. Don’t even ask me who’s idea it was originally. I barely remember things from yesterday. But I still keep one. A GBL shelf. Those are really books I definitely want to go back and finish, even though I’m squirreling away from them at that moment.

Tessa January 22, 2017 at 6:59 PM

I do! I just made it an exclusive. I love that. Because, no. I’m not currently reading the story, but I know it’s my mood and I’ll go back later.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 7:12 PM

Good idea Tessa. Did you have re-label each book?

Jan January 22, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Fabi ‘shouting’ someone means paying their way for them. So if it’s Mum’s shout, that means Mum is paying for you e.g. she’s going to ‘shout’ (pay for) all of our movie tickets or our meal etc. The term is often used in regards to buying a round of drinks at a pub. I’ve got no idea what the origin of it is.

I guess Australian English does have a lot of seemingly incomprehensible (to others) terminology. It’s an informal and colourful variant of the English language. These days some of the more colourful terms are going out of general usage as technology exposes us more readily to ‘world English’. I can remember funny sayings my dad regularly used that I never hear these days. e.g. he used to use rhyming slang (which originally comes from Cockney London, but Aussies happily appropriated it, many of them being cockneys originally anyway!) for e.g. dad would say at the dinner table: ‘Pass the dead horse’ – rhyming slang for (tomato) sauce. I haven’t heard that in years.

Aussies also love to shorten words and add ‘i’ to the end. e.g. uni (university) barbie (BBQ) pollie (politician) etc and MANY similar terms are still regularly used. Also to refer give nicknames that refer to the opposite of a person’s features e.g. redheads would be called ‘Bluey’, though this is less common today.

End of Jan’s mini lesson on Australian English ;D

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 7:17 PM

If you already have a DNF shelf, you should just be able to change it to exclusive.

Jan January 22, 2017 at 7:18 PM

* with our pronunciation, horse and sauce do rhyme.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 7:27 PM

I love it Jan!!! I am totally clear on the meaning of ‘shout(ing)’ now too.

Ms. Walker provided these 3 at the beginning of the book I’m reading.

GLOSSARY FOR AUSTRALIAN TERMS
Esky: a portable cooler
QC: Queen’s Counsel Barrister
Kitchen bench: kitchen counter

and thank goodness she finally cleared that kitchen bench up for me. I’ve seen it a dozen times and always assumed it was an actual bench at a kitchen table. They’ve become fairly common here in the south US so I thought they were standard at Australian kitchen tables.

Quit laughing !!!!

How was I to know when the word bench and counter are used interchangeably in less than a few sentences. See….

“when I put my glass of water on the bench, he was staring at me. Sam leaned against the counter and folded his arms”

Today, I finally learned they are both at the counter. Before, I would have thought they were further apart. One at the table and one at the counter. Though I’d wonder why he put his glass on the bench instead of on the table. :-/

I’m loving learning all of this!!!

Jan January 22, 2017 at 7:33 PM

I see what you mean about bench and counter. I too really need to picture clearly where my protagonists are positioned. e.g. I hate it if they start pashing (OK, an aussie slang term for passionately kissing – I couldn’t resist) just inside the door but the writer doesn’t tell us that they closed the door. As I continue reading I feel uncomfortable, wondering if a passer-by is checking out their kissing etc. Silly, I know, but that’s how I feel when I read.

I wonder how many US or Canadian or English terms I have misinterpreted or not fully understood as I read?

Nay January 22, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Not sure if this is one of those books that’s ‘always’ free, but it does say the regular price is $4.99. Anyway, jic, ‘Every Wrong Reason’ by Rachel Higginson is FREE on Amazon!

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 7:42 PM

And I see QC and my brain goes to DQ and suddenly I need a cheeseburger.

Jan January 22, 2017 at 7:43 PM

See, I have no idea what DQ refers to……..

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 7:43 PM

Ha! I’m like that with the doors too. lol

I think the meaning of most terms can easily be deciphered from context. For example

“I’m surprised I made it this far without stepping off The Gap.”

Even though I’ve never heard “The Gap”, it’s pretty obvious from the context that it would mean “the ledge” in American English.

Also, some terms are less important than others in the ongoing story and can be mostly ignored even if they’re not 100% clear.

I have to admit though that I basically have myself a private happy party any time I happen to land on a book that is written in a non-American English because I prize the learning opportunity.

When I was young I used to make a point of reading the occasional book in a foreign language (one that I knew just a little of). But as age and responsibilities crowded in, I started picking easier reads and now am basically only reading books in English.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 7:47 PM

R! lol

I’m fixin ta hightail over to DQ n grab one o those

Jean January 22, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Hey guys! Just took me so long to catch up on the comments! Hey, I’m in for the BR of Eversea. I’ve had that one for a long time.

Love learning new stuff – Thanks for that info Jan!

I’m reading the 3rd book of the Hearts series by L.H. Cosway (King of Hearts) – really loving the series!

Awww bev, I’m your favorite…..lol

DQ = Dairy Queen….yum!

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 7:49 PM

except I’m should have been ‘ahm’ or a’ma

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 7:51 PM

Jean, you ARE a favorite. We just can’t figure out why you’re Bev’s favorite. She just throws statements out there and I never have a clue what they mean. lol!!!

Yeaaa! More for the BR.

Jan January 22, 2017 at 7:51 PM

Ah. Dairy Queen. Gotcha :)

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 7:53 PM

DQ is Dairy Queen and has yummy burgers but even yummier Dudes… chicken fried steak sandwiches!

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 7:54 PM

I love their steak fingers with white gravy and Texas toast

Jan January 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM

See again, I don’t know what chicken fried steak is. Sounds like a contradiction in terms. (Chicken AND steak??) And I’m pretty sure biscuits means something completely different to me than you. What you call a cookie, we call a biscuit. So ‘biscuits and gravy’??? Yecchhhhh!

Jan January 22, 2017 at 7:56 PM

white gravy? Texas toast?

bev January 22, 2017 at 8:00 PM

*shakes fist*

Now I want a blizzard.
Thanks. Now I’ll be craving that all night. ;)

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 8:04 PM

I mention chicken fried steak in my book and my England beta freaked lol. Come to me. I’ll change your life…

bev January 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM

Oh, biscuits and gravy. Yum.

Jean you are but Leslie is my bff.

I was just pointing out to R that one of the many reasons is because Jean doesn’t put my recs on her “maybe someday I’ll consider reading” shelf. *cough* slush pile *cough*

Jan January 22, 2017 at 8:07 PM

OK. I’d love to visit the US sometime. I’ll put chicken fried steak on my bucket list. Do I need biscuits and gravy with that?

Jean January 22, 2017 at 8:08 PM

Haha bev!

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 8:08 PM

Now I get it bev. Thanks for clarifying.

Oh, Jan, if the language is slightly different, the food is a huge difference. Heck, we even have major differences in food between the North and South and East and West parts of our own country.

Jan January 22, 2017 at 8:09 PM

Oh bev your new little puppy avatar is super cute.

Jan January 22, 2017 at 8:10 PM

Yum. I’d better do a food tour of the US. Altho I can feel the kilos piling on in advance (or is that pounds LOL)

bev January 22, 2017 at 8:10 PM

Biscuits and gravy for breakfast. And yes. Usually a sausage gravy but bacon is good too.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 8:11 PM

Believe it or not Jan, biscuits and gravy are a breakfast food in the South US. Biscuits are …

got stuck…R help out a poor girl who never learned to cook. What are biscuits and gravy (which I refuse to eat without bacon) lol!!!

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 8:12 PM

Or sausage

Lots of POUNDS

bev January 22, 2017 at 8:12 PM

Lol.

I’ve heard that people who move here from other countries usually gain some wait.
We have huge portions.

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 8:12 PM

Jan come to me. Whenever you’re ready! I’ll fatten you up.

Fabi January 22, 2017 at 8:13 PM

Yup,I adore that puppy. So bev! Except no hugging.

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 8:18 PM

I eat biscuits and gravy with sausage. OMG. Soooo good. Never bacon!!

bev January 22, 2017 at 8:18 PM

Wait.

Jan have you had a biscuit?

Do you have the instant ones there in the pop cans?

I wish I was as cute as the puppy.

Amy January 22, 2017 at 8:18 PM

That’s bev “don’t touch me” face. :P

Are we talking about food??? Biscuits and sausage gravy…oh YUM. I loved eating at Biscuit Kitchen when we lived in Florida.

And hey! I just went to DQ the other day for the first time in years. Peanut Buster Parfait is the bestest!!!

bev January 22, 2017 at 8:21 PM

Oh, R it’s so good. Though I haven’t had it in too many years to count. A childhood friends grandma would make both.

My mom always made the sausage.
I suck at making gravy.

Jan January 22, 2017 at 8:24 PM

Instant biscuits in pop cans??? Sounds weird. Peanut buster parfait sounds good though….. mmmmmmm……. I’m getting hungry now, even tho I don’t know what the heck half these things are.

R. Renee January 22, 2017 at 8:29 PM

I’m starving now. When Greenbay lost today I sent my husband out for burger stuff and Blue Bell Rocky Road. There’s another thing you need to try when you come visit!

Amy January 22, 2017 at 8:30 PM
Amy January 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM
Amy January 22, 2017 at 8:36 PM

R…come to my house. I’m making butter chicken with jasmine rice and sautéed spinach with garlic. ;)

bev January 22, 2017 at 8:37 PM

What about cinnamon rolls in a pop can, do you have those?

Hmm. Now I feel like reading an Outback romance.

Leslie M January 22, 2017 at 9:37 PM

I’m Bev’s BFF!! *fist pump*

I love the Aussie slang lesson. :)

I use “exclusive” shelves on GR and its a huge help. I have a special one for some of those Marmy reads I know I cant handle. “Too sad or non HEA”.

We don’t have DQ around me anymore!!! The two we had have closed!! I want a blizzard so bad.

Tessa January 22, 2017 at 10:30 PM

Poor Jan.

Busquits are American and Canadian only. Basically a bread that is buttery, in layers and round. Thus, the gravy over it. I hate gravy, so I prefer it with butter and either jam or honey.

Chicken fried steak is pretty simple. You fry the steak pretty much the way you would chicken.

All this southern food talk makes me grateful to be in California. Lol I’m weird and HATE fried chicken. Though, DQ sounds yummy. Ice Cream!

Jan January 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM

I’m super hungry now for all those great foods. The parfait looks sooooo good. I can’t get over the biscuits in a can though. Just something we don’t really have down here. Novelty factor!

Jan January 22, 2017 at 11:34 PM

Thanks for the tips on the GR shelves. I have been rearranging mine and hope I don’t flood everyone’s GR feed. The tip of making shelves ‘exclusive’ is handy. I’ve been trying to do something like that before and couldn’t figure out how. R. Renee you are a legend!

Jan January 22, 2017 at 11:38 PM

Ooooh. Add to this week’s pre-orders. A Crown of Bitter Oranges by Laura Florand is out on 24th Jan. I knew it was coming but it crept up on me! Oh yeah……………. *happy little dance*

R. Renee January 23, 2017 at 12:54 AM

No prob! And biscuits in a can just no. Unless I’m making monkey bread and that’s a whole new “southern” conversation!

Jan January 23, 2017 at 1:41 AM

monkey…. bread……??? Huh? There’s a whole new world of food out there.

R. Renee January 23, 2017 at 1:47 AM

Monkey bread is one of the single greatest inventions of our time. I made it for Fabi when she was here. I’ve never used the raisins or nuts, it just doesn’t need it. It’s fool proof. And you can leave it uncovered on the counter for days and it’s still amazing. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6815/monkey-bread-i/

Fabi January 23, 2017 at 6:29 AM

Don’t let her fool you. It doesn’t last days. It’s long eaten by then. ;-)

bev January 23, 2017 at 8:24 AM

I haven’t had monkey bread since I was a kid.

Maryse January 23, 2017 at 8:52 AM

I’ve never had monkey bread but I SO want to have monkey bread right now with my coffee.

bev January 23, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Make some Maryse, super simple.

I forgot I did make monkey bread last year or the year before.
I’m on a diet …..This isn’t helping.
Lol.

R. Renee January 23, 2017 at 9:53 AM

Yes super simple. Especially if you can rope someone else into cutting the biscuits (I use kitchen scissors–so much easier).

And bev’s right. It definitely isn’t diet!

Amy January 23, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Maryse. My friend.

YOU HAVE TO TRY MONKEY BREAD!!!!

bev January 23, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Let’s all go back home and have coffee and monkey bread while reading a good book.

bev January 23, 2017 at 10:13 AM

Dark roast french pressed coffee with some half and half and sugar.

Amy I need some of your energy, commitment, and focus.

Amy January 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Ooh! Breakfast at bev’s house!!

I’ll gladly send you those vibes to face your day, bev. Just know though that I have to force myself DAILY to put those attributes into effect at work. I’d rather be at home curled up, reading, and eating monkey bread. ;)

Grey January 23, 2017 at 11:10 AM

I’m fairly certain I’m going to have a snow day tomorrow… So I’m going to have monkey bread! Just because I’m friggin craving it something fierce now!

R. Renee January 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Just make sure you have a bundt pan! Although it would probably work in any cake dish if you watch it closely.

Cheryl January 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM

Good lord I’m craving monkey bread and DQ now. Hope we have a snow day tomorrow so I can bake and drink coffee and eat and eat and drink coffee and eat ice cream!!!! ;)

R. Renee January 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM

I’m doing a read through of my book and just came across this. I think the universe is trying to tell me something encouraging about the importance of yummy calories.

“Mmm… What’s that?”
“My mother’s monkey bread,” he says, beaming. “I used the biscuits you had in the fridge. Hope that’s okay.”

Jan January 23, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Ahhh!!! I’m just back from my morning walk and I think I’ve missed breakfast at bev’s :( The monkey bread recipe looks really tempting but I don’t think I can get that canned biscuit dough down here :/ You can get refrigerated cookie dough in a kind of plastic tube (I know, sounds kinda gross) so maybe that would be similar?

R. Renee January 23, 2017 at 5:11 PM

IDK Jan. The biscuits aren’t sweet, that’s why you shake them in cinnamon/sugar. I wonder if it would work if you skip that step? It’s insanely sweet anyway, what’s a little more sugar? :D Otherwise, you’re just going to have to come visit!

Jan January 23, 2017 at 5:38 PM

Yeah, no. I don’t think the cookie dough in the plastic tube is gonna work. Ah well, maybe I’ll get across to visit you guys one day…..

Maryse January 23, 2017 at 5:53 PM

Okay I just want to announce that many of you (including me) will likely LOVE “Mists of the Serengeti” by Leylah Attar.

I’m reading the ARC, it’ll be out in just a few days, and HOLY MOLY it’s exquisitely written and vibrant. And it starts off with a GASP!!!!

I’m still only in the first quarter but yeah… this is one of ours. Like… I’d say it’s for those of us that love those Suanne Laqueur, Emma Scott, Renee Carlino type of epic stories. you know the type of book. Deep, and a grand journey of life and love for sure.

R. Renee January 23, 2017 at 5:58 PM

Here let me translate that Maryse, “R. One-click this book!”

Got it! :D

Maryse January 23, 2017 at 6:18 PM

Exactly for YOU R. You were the first person that leaped into my head when I got the “feel” of the story, and of course, the writing. I thought… Oh R is gonna love it.

Fabi too.

Probably bev too. MichelleS. Lisa, Jan, Tessa, Jean, Leslie… Cristina. Theresa, Jeannie and Pia. Celeste for sure. All y’all. :D

Amy of course!!! (and no!!! That doesn’t mean this is a Marmy – I’m not far enough in yet to know). ;)

R. Renee January 23, 2017 at 6:20 PM

I’m so excited! Thanks Maryse! This will be a **stop everything and read the second it hits my kindle** book! I wish it were up for preorder! I might want this one in paperback.

Fabi January 23, 2017 at 6:31 PM

Eeeeek! Maryse is dropping names. I feel another BR coming on.

Fabi January 23, 2017 at 6:35 PM

Sheesh! With all the fancy cooks around here I can’t believe no one has told Jan that biscuit dough can be make from scratch (sans the can).

Here you go Jan. I can’t cook, but I can google.

R. Renee January 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM

LOL Fabi, I thought of that, but at that point you might as well make scratch cinnamon rolls! The beauty in monkey bread is how easy it is! Even YOU can make it :D

Maryse January 23, 2017 at 6:49 PM

I love to cook… and for supper tonight? I just ate frosted mini wheats. LOL!!!!

And yet I feel perfectly satisfied. A bowl of cereal for supper. YUMMY!

Amy January 23, 2017 at 7:27 PM

You found an epic read for us?? YAY!!!

But…what is it about? *scratches head*

And I’m SO glad you clarified it’s not a Marmy so some aren’t scared off from it. ;)

Jean January 23, 2017 at 7:49 PM

I’ve been waiting for that one Maryse! I’m so jealous you are reading it right now!

bev January 23, 2017 at 9:06 PM

I still have not read any of the three authors Maryse mentioned.

So I hope it takes place in Africa. That’d be cool.

Maryse January 23, 2017 at 9:15 PM

It does bev. This is an AMAZING story.

Maryse January 23, 2017 at 9:17 PM

Grey would love it, too!!!!

Oh yes. Definitely Grey.

Maryse January 23, 2017 at 9:18 PM

Not a Marmy… YET.
;)

I’m only in the beginning stages… who knows where it could go?

jen January 24, 2017 at 1:42 PM

I loved Wrecking Ball by P.Dangelico. Alpha male at its best! It had a KA feel to me!