15 Friday Finds & Reader Recommendations – April 28th 2017

by Maryse on April 28, 2017 · 142 comments

in eBook Deals

Fifteen Friday finds today (some new releases, some awesome feedback on very recent releases, and some, just good ol’ reader recommendations), and I shall add more as I find ‘em. I know Friday tends to be a surprise release day, so I’m keeping an eye out. ;)

Let me know if you see any, or absolutely LOVED one.

P.S. Remember that reader question from yesterday and all of us were dying to find out the name of the book ’cause it sounds SO good???! Well… we found it! :D *squeeeeeeeee*

Lisa: MUST. HAVE. NOW. Ohhh, I need to know what this one is!!!

Sofia: Thank you, Maryse. I hope somebody recognises it :)

Maryse: Me too!!!! We’re all WANTING this one badly!!! :D

MichelleS: ME THREE!!!

LOOK WHAT WE FOUND SO FAR!

• Craving Lily: The Aces’ Sons by Nicole Jacquelyn <— LIVE LIVE LIVE!!! Nicole Jacquelyn’s latest BIKER BOOK!! HE WASN’T HERS TO LOVE…. “…our story was intense, and convoluted, and frustrating. But it was ours. In the end it all came down to one thing… I’d loved him since the very beginning. Even when he wasn’t mine to love…”
  • Mixed Up by Emma Hart <— SHE HATES HER NEW CHEF!!! & HE’S her brother’s best friend. Recent release that TOTALLY has my attention and now DG LOVED it!
D.G.: Mixed Up by Emma Hart…FLOVED it!!! Hot know it all chef and his new boss let the insults fly…nothing held back. They literally hate each other…until they don’t….Did I mention his boss owns this bar that serves the most ‘unique’ cocktails …umm mixed drinks with obscene names…. But I guess that shouldn’t be surprising with the bar named Dirty. Oh yeah, she is part Greek and her yia-yia comes to visit…so peeps go ahead and read it if not for anything BUT the drink recipes at the end!!!!
Grace: Oh my goodness! I left the world behind and just insanely and obsessively devoured all 12 Poldark books because the TV series ended on a cliffhanger and I am CRAZY! Now I am so hungover I don’t know what to do with myself.
  • Boomerangers by Heather M. Orgeron <— LIVE!!! SINGLE MOM SEX THERAPIST ALERT!!…When my world begins to unravel, I have no choice but to move back home. And when my high school sweetheart comes waltzing back into my life, comedy and chaos ensue. What can I say? I never said I could pick ‘em, but you can bet your ass I know how to fix ‘em…
  • Son of a Beard (The Dixie Wardens Rejects MC Book 3) by Lani Lynn Vale <— LIVE!!! BIKER BOOK ALERT! THEY MEET AT THE WEDDING OF THEIR CHEATING EXES ALERT!Verity Ruthann Cassidy was supposed to be here today attending this wedding as the bride, not watching the festivities as a guest from the chairs she’d painstakingly purchased covers for while her fiancé—now her ex-fiancé—screwed around on her with another woman. The icing on the wedding cake that she refuses to eat? She’s forced to attend the wedding due to her mother being the wedding planner. However, the night doesn’t turn out quite the way she expects it due to the hot-as-hell biker sitting in the chair directly beside her…
  • Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson <— OH MY THIS LOOKS RIGHT UP MY EMOTIONALLY DARKER ALLEY & Tasha is reading and enjoying this one as we speak! UPDATE!!! She just said this is one of her BEST BOOKS of 2017!!!!! YAY ME!!! YAY US!!! :D

Tasha: So, I started Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson last night and jumped back in right away this morning and though I’m only about 20% in so far, this is what I needed!!! I’m connected to the main character, it’s got depth, mystery, and suspense! I’m afraid to continue, but I have to continue…are you ever afraid to keep reading a book that pulls hard at your emotions and fears for what could happen? Those books are the best, but it takes a lot out of me.

Tasha: Ah, Allegedly. Someone needs to read this book ASAP. (Amy, Maryse a I know you two will love this one!) SO, so good and completely pucked up. The writing was exceptional. The characters voices on point, the story will keep you on the edge of your seat, and your emotions will be put through the ringer. I couldn’t put it down, but I couldn’t handle reading straight through either. I wanted someone to hold my hand for sure, and I don’t think I’ve ever felt that way about a book before. It’s why I don’t watch scary movies anymore, it jacks my anxiety through the roof. Don’t read reviews, I did read the blurb and that was just enough, but don’t spoil it for yourself. One part really made me mad but I don’t want to say which. I’m sure it was added oomph for a lot of people. Still, this one makes my list of best books for 2017!

• The Girl Before Eve by Lisa J. Hobman <— LIVE!!! LIFETIME BEST FRIENDS/ UNREQUITED LOVE ALERT!!! “Lily’s unrequited feelings are hard to deal with as it is but this is further compounded when she inadvertently introduces Adam to the love of his life. Eve. Many years later and Adam is once again single, dealing with heartbreak and Lily is there to pick up the pieces…”
  • Moon Shimmers (Otherworld Book 19) by Yasmin Galenorn <— LIVE!!! PARANORMAL ROMANCE ALERT!
  • All for You (Paris Nights Book 1) by Laura Florand <— SECOND CHANCE ROMANCE SUPER-BARGAIN and bev found it for us! “...eighteen-year-old Célie moved on to make a life for herself as a Paris chocolatier. Now, five years later, the last thing she needs is another man to mess up her happiness. Let alone the same man…
bev: All for You by Laura Florand is on sale today. I have been wanting this one.
  • Takedown (Fight Factory Book 1) by  Lea Hart <— MMA FIGHTER & A LAWYER ALERT!!!She’s done with commitment and vanilla sex, done with waiting and trusting only to be betrayed in the end. She’s finally ready to be the bad girl who takes her pleasure and leaves the rest. Matt unfortunately is done with the wild lifestyle that opened up for him when he gained fame and success. All the glory and all the fame didn’t end up meaning a thing and he’s ready for the real deal with his dream girl. Willing to take a chance on the chemistry that’s ignited between them, he takes her up on her offer…”
  • Dropout (The Good Guys Book 3) by Jamie Schlosser <— HER NEW BAD BOY NEIGHBOR ALERT!!!I have everything I need to live out my dream of being a reclusive songwriter—my guitar, my notebook, and blissful silence. At least, I did until Jimmy moved in next door. With tattoos, piercings, and mischievous green eyes, he’s got bad news written all over him. And last time I got with a bad boy, it ended horribly...” (it CAN be read as a standalone)
  • Discovering Alexis: Truths & Lies (Bad Boy Rebels Book 7) by Jessica Sorensen <— JESSICA SORENSEN ALERT!! “My name is Alexis and up until a day ago, I thought the worst thing that ever happened to me was catching Blaine and Masie kissing. Boy was I wrong…”
  • Storm Siren (The Storm Siren Trilogy Book 1) by Mary Weber <— FANTASY ROMANCE and Tessa loved it!

Tessa: *grins* I loved Storm Siren by Mary Weber. I didn’t want to stop reading it. I’m getting the other two on Saturday because WOW good. I kind of saw the end coming, but not the way I saw it. Totally threw me. I love that. I really need to get book two.

• Olive Juice by T.J. Klune <— LIVE!!! T.J. KLUNE’S LATEST M/M ROMANCE ALERT!!! “David is burdened, carrying with him the heavy guilt of the past six years upon his shoulders. Phillip offers redemption…”
  • Back Piece (Skin Deep Inc.) by L.A. Witt <— M/M ROMANCE and this recent release is back on the list ’cause Fabi recommends it!

Fabi: Throwing my 2 cents in for Back Piece (not Peace ) which released today. Cute and sweet and hot, hot, hot. I loved these boys. Perfect on the outside but just a little messed up on the inside. (4 stars)

AUDIOBOOK L:DVERS

For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>

• AND! Here’s the fun-tool again! —> Find out which of YOUR Kindle books are available as audiobooks at a BARGAIN-PRICE! <— This thing is so cool (Amazon calls it “Matchmaker“)! It’s an Amazon feature, that scans all of your Kindle books and will list all of the ones you have that are also available as an audiobook at a discounted price (not normal audiobook prices). This way, you can switch back and forth, seamlessly between your ebooks and your audiobooks. VERY COOL!

PREORDERS (next week’s!!! :D )

➜ CHECK OUT ALL the upcoming BOOK RELEASES here (frequently updated and it goes all the way to 2017!)

Get Maryse’s Book Blog updates delivered by email (you’ll get one daily email that will have each post from that day consolidated on it).

Fabi April 28, 2017 at 6:27 AM

TGIF!!! I’m so ready for the work week to be over and get to some of these goodies here.

Ela April 28, 2017 at 6:33 AM

Same Fabi! Let’s just say IT HAS BEEN ONE OF THOSE WEEKS OR EVEN MONTHS! Loving Wicked Abyss!

Lisa Aiello April 28, 2017 at 6:59 AM

Oh my goodness…that is a list of delicious must haves!!

Nay April 28, 2017 at 7:00 AM

Good morning, ladies!!

Amazon has the 50th Anniv. edition of Rosemary’s Baby on HUGE sale, marked down from $15.95 to $1.99 here: https://www.amazon.com/Rosemarys-Baby-Novel-50th-Anniversary-ebook/dp/B01MTOGL4E

And if you look down at the “Customers who bought this item also bought”, you’ll see some other modern classics, like Psycho and The Stepford Wives, that are also marked way down to $1.99.

bev April 28, 2017 at 7:42 AM

Who brought the coffee and croissant?

MichelleS April 28, 2017 at 8:06 AM

A Court of Wings & Ruin!!!! Cannot wait!

Ela April 28, 2017 at 8:32 AM

*hands bev a chocolate croissant with a latte* Would you like any flavor in your coffee m’am?

bev April 28, 2017 at 8:32 AM

Hazelnut.

Thank you.

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Guess what I’m reading this weekend? GRAVITY!!!!! YAY ME!!!!!

*happy wiggle*

Ela April 28, 2017 at 8:35 AM

FINALLY MARYSE! IT ONLY TOOK YOU 2 WEEKS BACK LOG… OH AND WHY DO YOU NOT ANSWER MY INSTANT MESSENGER MESSAGES TO YOU????? HUH HUH HUH?????

bev April 28, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Huh, I couldn’t imagine why, Ela.
;)

Tasha J April 28, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Ah, Allegedly. Someone needs to read this book ASAP. (Amy, Maryse a I know you two will love this one!) SO, so good and completely pucked up. The writing was exceptional. The characters voices on point, the story will keep you on the edge of your seat, and your emotions will be put through the ringer. I couldn’t put it down, but I couldn’t handle reading straight through either. I wanted someone to hold my hand for sure, and I don’t think I’ve ever felt that way about a book before. It’s why I don’t watch scary movies anymore, it jacks my anxiety through the roof. Don’t read reviews, I did read the blurb and that was just enough, but don’t spoil it for yourself. One part really made me mad, but I don’t want to say which. I’m sure it was added oomph for a lot of people. Still, this one makes my list of best books for 2017!

Ela April 28, 2017 at 9:17 AM

smart ass….the bev is…

Tessa April 28, 2017 at 9:41 AM

*Squee* Storm Siren is up there. Seriously, it was an unexpected love. I really did pick it for the cover. lol Most of the time, those end up being average.

Court of Wing and Ruin. I’m with MichelleS. I want that one NOW! :P The way the last one ended… I need to read it. I especially love how the series moved in a way I’ve never seen a series move before. *grins*

Also, YEAH! Maryse you will love Gravity. It’s on my list of best of the month. :D YEAH!!!!!

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Tasha this little comment of yours thrills me. This is EXACTLY my kind of book I KNOW it. YAY ME!! And OMG I LOVE that cover. So eerie and amazing.

R. Renee April 28, 2017 at 11:24 AM

I just read somewhere that “Olive Juice may be short, but…” That’s the whole reason I hadn’t one clicked it already. His books are usually long and I don’t have time for long, so yay!!!

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM

LOL Ela!!!!

What’s instant messenger? :P

Jeanie V. April 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM

I read The Girl Before Eve back in 2014 – I enjoyed it and was surprised because I loved Eve & did not love Lily (the girl before).

Ela April 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Oh Maryse….FB…Hint hint…

Theresa S. April 28, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Maryse anyone! Callie Hart supposely had new release the 25th. No show. Anyone know what’s up? Thanks

Grey April 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM

*peeks* I’m alive. I’m sorry I didnt check in when I got home yesterday. I felt like absolute sh*t. I still kind of do, but… Yeah, :lol: Thank you for all the prayers, I wub all of you.

Still reading Dr. OB, I didnt get very far… More like read a page and passed the eff out *giggle*

Robyn April 28, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Ela….don’t cry, I tagged Maryse on FB with some book releases and pre-orders but she didn’t look at my stuff either! Don’t you look at FB anymore Maryse???

Ok, here’s the list of what I remember
Love Beyond Flames (The Outsiders Book 7) by Rebecca Royce is finally out!
Craving Lily by Nicole Jacquelyn just came out. Great M/C series

Black and Green (The Ghost Bird Series book 11) by C L Stone is up for pre-order. Love, love, love this series!!
Sugar & Gold by Emma Scott is up for pre-order. This has hints of paranormal and the blurb made me tingly!
Lani Lynn Vale has two more books in the Beard series up for pre-order

Also, Tessa, thanks for the heads up on Storm Siren! My kind of book definately!

Lisa Aiello April 28, 2017 at 1:00 PM

Ooooh Tasha – I added Allegedly to my TBR pile. Good to know it was as amazing as it sounds!!!

Annie Romero April 28, 2017 at 2:11 PM

If anyone likes something a little more intense and likes fiction/fantasy that reads very realistic check out The Killing Flower by WK Dwyer. It’s not for everyone, and I wasn’t sold at first but now I can see myself reading this over and over.

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM

I do but I forget to check specifically in the Facebook notifications… so if it doesn’t show up in my feed, I don’t always see it.

I shall specifically seek it out. :D

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 2:34 PM

In essence, I have THREE Facebook accounts (LOL!) Two personal accounts and my blog Facebook page, and then… don’t get me started on all the ways I get messaged.

Best way for SURE that I’ll see it is by clicking contact me on this blog menu up there to the right and messaging me. I have my email account open all the time.

Ela April 28, 2017 at 3:12 PM

I tried that but that too goes through messenger…

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 4:59 PM

My contact me page goes through messenger? No, that page has all messages go to my gmail account…

This goes right to my gmail account. I don’t post the actual gmail address ’cause of spammers… so I have it this way: http://www.maryse.net/contact-me

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 5:00 PM

I don’t use Facebook messenger. I don’t even have the app.

MichelleS April 28, 2017 at 5:12 PM

“Intense fiction-fantasy”… my ears just perked up… must go check that out STAT

Fabi April 28, 2017 at 5:19 PM

Just a reminder. If you want want to play the pick for me challenge again, or if you missed it the first time, go sign up at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/18581533-pick-for-me-challenge—may-2017?page=2.

Like Tessa said it’s hard to decide what’s more fun, seeing what someone else picks for you, or picking for someone else. :-)

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 5:21 PM

Robyn, I just looked for your tag on Facebook and I found the one you tagged me in today about Emma Scott’s book. Is there another? :D

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 5:28 PM

Okay I just found another. Yeah… they don’t actually show up in my feed, I have to go to “notifications” and look for the ones that say “someone tagged you in…” – there are so many notifications about anything and everything (mostly stuff that I’m NOT tagged in but posts with people I’m friends with in there – which is A LOT of constant notifications) that it’s probably easiest for me to just get your message directly (on my email account here if possible).

Could also be that I’m not using my personal Facebook account correctly with all of their recent changes. LOL!

MichelleS April 28, 2017 at 6:19 PM

Pick For Me Challenge – never would have read Exhaltation of Larks if not for this challenge! I’m in 100%.

Grey April 28, 2017 at 6:23 PM

That’s because we rock! :lol:

bev April 28, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Fan girl is on sale.

bev April 28, 2017 at 7:11 PM

Maryse you are making it very hard for us to stalk you.

Now if your long lost Aunt Gladys talks about her boy Simon alot it’s cause she is so proud.
And if her sister, your long lost Aunt Gert, SHOUTS ALL THE TIME, it’s just cause she is hard of hearing.
It is not really Ela and I trying to stalk you. Really it’s not.
Just accept the friend request.

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 7:32 PM

LOL!!!!!!!! :P

*snuggles bev hard even though she squirms*

bev April 28, 2017 at 7:33 PM

It’s Friday, I have a commute, and I’m another year older.
20 questions!
(Ok 13, extremely silly random cold meds and exhaustion induced questions)

Spring or Summer?

Pie or Cake?

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?

Gold or silver?

Precious or semi precious gems?

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?

House in the mountains or house in the desert?

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat?

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing)

Favorite pizza?

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink?

Last book you bought?

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so?

If you do not feel silly and random or are on cold meds and exhausted–disregard.

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 7:33 PM

P.S. It’s FACEBOOK that makes it hard. But I did find out that if you tag me in the status part of the post, I see that (because it actually asks me if I want to add it to my own wall, as well as showing it to me on my feed). If I’m tagged in the comment… Facebook doesn’t even try to be cool.

Fabi April 28, 2017 at 7:52 PM

Why not. I just got home and want to veg in the couch for a few.

Spring or Summer?
Spring

Pie or Cake?
Cake

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?
Turquoise

Gold or silver?
Silver or white gold

Precious or semi precious gems?
Both

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?
Neither

House in the mountains or house in the desert?
Shoot, these are hard. Both again.

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat?
None

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing)
Gus, if I must.

Favorite pizza?
Don’t like pizza. But if you skip the sauce I’ll have a pepperoni slice.

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink?
Other than the titles, I don’t remember either one.

Last book you bought?
Born of Vengeance

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so?
Can’t remember one.

Maaaaan. I sucked the big toe on these.

buzzzzz – FAIL

D.G. April 28, 2017 at 8:02 PM

The Gravity of Us….OMGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Over halfway in and I freaking FLOVE this book! Brittainy C Cherry is AMAZING and AWESOME!!!! And I am just feeling all kinds of wonderful feels…why didn’t someone warn me that I would be a crying emotional mess?!?!

Robyn April 28, 2017 at 8:08 PM

Thanks for clarifying the FB snafus! FB needs to make it easier for us to get pertinent info to you. I’ll use the status thingy or email it to you on here. I think most of the stuff I tagged you in I mentioned above.

R. Renee April 28, 2017 at 8:09 PM

Spring or Summer? Summer

Pie or Cake? Pie

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise? Pink

Gold or silver? Kinda digging rose gold right now

Precious or semi precious gems? semi = more options

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin? Wyoming

House in the mountains or house in the desert? Mountains

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat? none

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing) Jane

Favorite pizza? White alfredo

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink? PIP

Last book you bought? Olive Juice

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so? More of a paragraph than a line. Sugar & Gold, Emma Scott:

The rain crashed down and Fiona stepped into the downpour. The water drenched her instantly, turning her white dress translucent. It clung to her body, revealing everything. She watched me watching her; her lips parted slightly and the deep red of her desire tasted like a lick of fire in my mouth.
“Tell me, Nikolai Alexei…” She lifted her hair off her neck, turning her face to the sky. “Have you ever kissed a stranger in the rain?”

R. Renee April 28, 2017 at 8:12 PM

Fabi seriously? *rolls eyes and lack of John Hughes love*

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 8:22 PM

YES I WANNA PLAY TOO!! :D

Spring or Summer?
Spring

Pie or Cake?
Pie (any BERRY pie!!! I’d also say pecan pie but the calories…). Oh and peach. And apple. Mmmmmm. Never mind. ALL PIES.

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?
Pink

Gold or silver?
Gold (in any format)

Precious or semi precious gems?
Diamonds, rubies and emeralds. Sapphires. Okay precious.

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?
I guess Wyoming ’cause it makes me think of our romance books that feature cowboys.

House in the mountains or house in the desert?
MOUNTAINS!!! COLORADO!!!! :D

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat?
Beagle easily!

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing)
Gus is cute.

Favorite pizza?
Mushroom, pepperoni and green peppers from Pizza Hut. Or a total veggie pizza but LOADED in real veggies like broccoli and cauliflower and all that good stuff.

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink?
Pretty in Pink. I remember the day I watched that one… I didn’t think any of the guys were hot though. Not Andrew, not James nor Duckie.

Last book you bought?
The Gravity of Us

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so?
Hrmm…. no. No clue either but definitely one from The Brave Line.

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 9:00 PM

I shall investigate, Theresa!!

Maryse April 28, 2017 at 9:00 PM

Thank you for the recommendation, Annie!!! I’m looking it up now.

*hug*

bev April 28, 2017 at 9:01 PM

We should totally call R, Pip now.

R. Renee April 28, 2017 at 9:05 PM

I’ve been called worse…

D.G. April 28, 2017 at 9:16 PM

Outstanding. Just outstanding. I absolutely LOVED The Gravity of Us! More than a handful of moments that made my eyes watery…but the best books always give me all kind of feels. Loved the slow burn of it. Good gravy but I absolutely LOVE the cover!!! I mean it is Stu…my all time favorite cover model. Swooning here….

Fabi April 28, 2017 at 9:17 PM

bev, where are your answers to the 13 Q’s?

D.G. April 28, 2017 at 9:17 PM

Oh…definitely a 5.5 star read for me….just saying

Fabi April 28, 2017 at 9:20 PM

My favorite line. I just read it.

“I arched an eyebrow.”

Why?

Because I cannot, for the life of me, arch one eyebrow.

bev April 28, 2017 at 9:21 PM

Spring

Used to be cake, but now pie.

Turquoise

Silver

Semi precious love the colors and R makes a good point. However, would never say no to precious.

Wyoming after reading a book set there and watching Longmire. Though Wisconsin has snow and cheese.

Mountains. Snowy mountains.

Mastiff.

I shall name him Gus. He will turn his nose up at PiP and Fabi.

Peperoni, mushrooms, and olive. Little extra parm on top.

Sixteen Candles. Jack Ryan was hot.

All For You by Laura Florand.

“In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them. Their magic. Their quest. Their awfulness and strangeness. Her raven boys.”
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

R. Renee April 28, 2017 at 9:24 PM

How are you liking it bev?

Fabi, Briana could arch one brow. And Frankie can according to my search function. :lol:

R. Renee April 28, 2017 at 9:25 PM

But good call. Darian cannot. *replaces brow with brows*

Fabi April 28, 2017 at 9:25 PM

and why is Gus turning his nose up at me? :-/

Fabi April 28, 2017 at 9:27 PM

LOL R!!!! Glad I could help. And lucky Bri.

R. Renee April 28, 2017 at 9:28 PM

She can also wiggle them and her ears.

bev April 28, 2017 at 9:30 PM
D.G. April 28, 2017 at 9:31 PM

Spring or Summer?
Spring

Pie or Cake?
Cake of course…you know all the good ones…cheesecake, cupcakes, birthday cake, coconut cake, red velvet, hummingbird cake…I could just go on and on…

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?
Pink…I think but not sure how well it would take

Gold or Silver?
Silver Spring or Summer?
Spring

Pie or Cake?

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?
Pink

Gold or silver?
Gold (in any format)

Precious or semi precious gems?
precious…diamonds are a girl’s best friend…right???

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?
ummm…the beach.

House in the mountains or house in the desert?
Mountains…maybe with some of KA’s alphas…

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat?
Hairless cat…so ugly they are cute

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing)
Gus the bus

Favorite pizza?
Thin crest pepperoni with maybe beef, light on the onions, bell peppers and black olives

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink?
Sixteen Candles….I loved the way Jake smiled at her….sighing

Last Book I bought:
Purple Hearts and I did not enjoy it. Cassie the h was to selfish and childish…and the end was rushed.
(Last book I read…free on KU..The Gravity of Us and it totally made up for Purple Hearts not being all that)

R. Renee April 28, 2017 at 9:34 PM

Bahahaha. I didn’t even catch beagle and have never heard of mastiff, so I assumed they were all cats! I’ll take a beagle!

bev April 28, 2017 at 9:36 PM

Yes, Jake. Not Jack the CIA agent.

D.G. April 28, 2017 at 9:37 PM

I am either really tired, really LOVE some of the questions to have multiple answers or I just suck when trying to copy the questions and it picked up more than I meant for it too…let’s just go with I am tired…

D.G. April 28, 2017 at 9:38 PM

R…mastiffs are HUGE dogs…think like Great Danes with more body mass…

R. Renee April 28, 2017 at 9:39 PM

Oh no, beagle for sure. I need cat-sized dogs.

D.G. April 28, 2017 at 9:41 PM

Hairless cats can be dressed up in little bitty sweaters…..

bev April 28, 2017 at 9:46 PM

Gus the bus wears little sweaters?

I didn’t see that coming.

bev April 28, 2017 at 9:50 PM
D.G. April 28, 2017 at 9:54 PM

It could be a she and be forever called Gussie!!!! Pink sweater and pearls…

D.G. April 28, 2017 at 9:55 PM

Bev…that cat looks EVIL

Tasha J April 28, 2017 at 9:55 PM

Spring or Summer?
Spring

Pie or Cake?
Pie

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?
Pink

Gold or silver?
Silver. Except more like white gold/stainless steel bc I don’t like to clean it

Precious or semi precious gems?
Precious

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?
Wisconsin

House in the mountains or house in the desert?
Mountains

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat?
Mastiff. I actually used to have one, he was a big baby and he drooled everywhere, I had to carry a towel around for protection. Lol. I have a beagle mix also and he’s a barker and in his younger years was a runner.

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing)
Gus. I had a Gus, too! Jane is my Momma’s name and Gert sounds like something that grows between your toes. Unless you know a Gert, and she’s a very sweet lady….it’s a beautiful name! ;)

Favorite pizza?
Hawaiian

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink?
Sixteen Candles

Last book you bought?
After the Break by Andrea Joan

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so? No idea. Most of my reads are library and they’ve been returned so I couldn’t check if I wanted to.

D.G. April 28, 2017 at 10:03 PM

But I want a giraffe and the hubs said …just no.

Nay April 28, 2017 at 10:33 PM

OMG, bev! You read my mind! I just read this line about 30 min ago and was thinking…’I wish bev would post 20 questions and ask for a quote’!

Spring or Summer?
Spring

Pie or Cake?
Pie, any cream/custard pie–chocolate, chess, buttermilk–yum!!

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?
turquoise

Gold or silver?
silver

Precious or semi precious gems?
semi-precious

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?
Wyoming–hubs and I have decided that the ONLY places we’d move to are Florida, Alaska, Wyoming or Australia

House in the mountains or house in the desert?
mountains

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat?
beagle

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing)
Gertie Mae

Favorite pizza?
Not a big pizza fan, but if I have to choose…Mexican with extra cheese

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink?
Pretty in Pink

Last book you bought?
preordered Somebody Else’s Sky (Something in the Way #2)
by Jessica Hawkins

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so?
“Macy, queen of my universe, I beseechingly request you place your sweetest of lips upon my manhood and make it your lollipop.”
Leave Me Breathless by Cherrie Lynn

bev April 28, 2017 at 11:22 PM

I’m glad I could help?

Leslie M April 29, 2017 at 7:21 AM

Spring or Summer?
Summer. Spring here is stupid. It starts with snow then too much pollen.

Pie or Cake?
Mmmmm…love both but pie if I have to choose.

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?
If I were younger, I’d love hot pink streaks.

Gold or silver?
SILVER

Precious or semi precious gems?
I love them ALL, but semi precious is more my thing.

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?
Neither, I want west coast Florida or southern CA. But Wyoming if I MUST.

House in the mountains or house in the desert?
Arizona looks beautiful..but a house with mountain view sounds nice, so…mountain.

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat?
None! But if I MUST, I’d pick the cat just because they are the least amount of work.

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing)
I’d call this fictional ugly hairless cat: Grumpy Gus

Favorite pizza?
Feta, olive & spinach

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink?
Sixteen Candles!! Love Jake and Long Duk Dong.

Last book you bought?
180 Seconds

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so?
“It’s hard to relax when a stranger is touching my—” Graham’s eyes widened. “Yup, that’s my penis. You are actually touching my penis,” ― The Gravity of Us

Ela April 29, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Spring or Summer? SPRING

Pie or Cake? CAKE

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise? PINK

Gold or silver? PLATINUM OR GOLD

Precious or semi precious gems? PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin? WYOMING

House in the mountains or house in the desert? MOUNTAINS

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat? BEAGLE

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing) JANE MELAINE

Favorite pizza? SAUSAGE OR BACON AND MUSHROOMS OR MARGHARITA

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink? DUH JAKE – SIXTEEN CANDLES

Last book you bought? I DON’T REMEMBER

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so?
It’s not last but close to the end: “I would do the dragon. What? Don’t f*cking judge me.” Wicked Abyss Kresley Cole AND I WOULD SO DO THE DRAGON TOO

MichelleS April 29, 2017 at 10:10 AM

I’m pretty sure hairless cats were bred with naked mole rats. Eek!

Mixed Up is sounding kind of yummy. Hate to love, one of my faves! And he’s a chef, so all the Opposite of You thing can just keep going, right?

Leslie M April 29, 2017 at 10:12 AM

I just started Mixed Up. :)

MichelleS April 29, 2017 at 10:20 AM

SUMMER – I’m off!
CAKE – no pie crust!
TURQUOISE – my son did this last year & it looked surprisingly good.
SILVER – I’m obsessed with Alex & Ani
SEMI PRECIOUS – love peridot
WYOMING – saw it on house hunters!
DESERT – would love mountains, but drive scares me
MASTIFF – big, but gentle
GERT – “Gertie”
MUSHROOM & SPINACH
PRETTY IN PINK – Duckie!
THE MAN I LOVE – eBook

bev April 29, 2017 at 10:23 AM

MichelleS, I love peridot too.

Tasha, what was it like to have a mastiff?

MichelleS April 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Line from a book: He laid his handkerchief on the ice in the bucket a minute, then gave it to her. “You and your little snot rags,” she said softly. “It’s clean. And you love them.” “I do.” – Exhaltation of Larks. His dang handkerchiefs. I loved that little character detail so stinkin’ much. Sniffle.

Ela April 29, 2017 at 10:38 AM

There are 30 cows in a field, 28 chickens.
How many didn’t?

Grey April 29, 2017 at 11:09 AM

Ooh, I love question day. Hang on, I’m in, I’m sitting at a track meet and I swear it is sleeting out here and I’m not supposed to be taking a shower. Ha!

Spring or Summer?
~I love spring…new growth and life and all the beauty that we witness each and every year… It gives me tingles, but I get summers off now, and that is a pretty powerful motivator too, ha!

Pie or Cake?
~Pie, Blackberry…Peach…Cherry. I make the most delicious fudge pecan pie…. *drool*

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?
~pink

Gold or silver?
~white gold

Precious or semi precious gems?
~All. I’ve never met a bauble I didn’t like. :lol: Actually, that’s not really true, I don’t wear jewelry as a rule… With the exception of my engagement ring and wedding band.

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?
~why am I moving? This sounds like a Tarryn Fisher plot and I am not a victim…

House in the mountains or house in the desert?
~yes. :-D

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat?
Or. Oh… That wasn’t a choice? ~Hairless cat.

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing)
~Gert. Her middle name is Rude. I use her instead of wearing my own RBF all the time and she’s highly effective. She’s also friends with Walter…the cat in Tapping the Billionaire by Max Monroe. They trade secrets.

Favorite pizza?
~ Favorite Pizza?! That’s blasphemy! Kind of like picking your favorite child. Shh, it’s OK, pizza darling… Mama loves you all equally. *whispers* it might be pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms. Or maybe BBQ chicken. Or fruit dessert pizza… Nope, I really can’t do it. All of the pizzas are my favorite.

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink?
~Pretty in Pink

Last book you bought?
Dr. OB by Max Monroe

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so?
~ I closed my eyes and let the moment be my home. ‘The Butterfly Project by Emma Scott’

Thanks bev, I love these!

bev April 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM

I’m just happy you all play along–even when silly.

Maybe I should of added pink tarantulas to the animal list. ;)

bev April 29, 2017 at 12:33 PM

Tasha & Tessa I have a song for you now. My phone does not want to link but it is:

FIRST DAY OF MY LIFE by Bright Eyes.
I just love it.

Tessa April 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM

I’m late to this, but I’m at the library glaring at the next part of the book I’m writing, so… instead… :D

Spring or Summer? Summer. Spring sucks. Allergies.

Pie or Cake? Cake!

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise? I like both, but probably turqoise.

Gold or silver? Silver

Precious or semi precious gems? Depends on the gem. I love amethyst and aquamarines, as well as emeralds and rubies.

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin? Uh… eew. Wisconsin I guess?

House in the mountains or house in the desert? I’ve lived in the desert, so mountains!

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat? Hehehe Hairless cat

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing) Gert. That could be fun and silly.

Favorite pizza? Chicken and black olives

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink? Sixteen Candles

Last book you bought? I just bought one from the library today. Death’s Mistress by Karen Chance. Can you believe I haven’t read this series? I have to buy the next one.

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so? I’m at the library so I’ll answer that later. Right now the answer is, I don’t know…

Oh, you know what is hard? Loving fantasy yet everytime I write, my outline flies out the window. *grins* EVERY TIME!

Fabi April 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM

weird and random Fabi making an appearance…

I’m not that interested in meeting authors IRL. I’ve never wanted to meet an actor or a singer either. Logically, I know that what these artists portray in their work is not real life. I don’t like the clash between the art I’ve internalised and the RL person who created it.

Perfect example. That girl who played in Twilight. Kristin or something? I saw some interviews on YouTube or TV or something and I was shocked at her RL persona. Totally opposite of the character she portrayed.

Reading and knowing too much of an author’s personal life distracts me while I’m reading their book. I keep trying to match up the story and characters with what I know about the author’s life. Sometimes (most of the time with excellent authors), the two have no real relation.

Tessa April 29, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Can you see calling for perty Gerty and getting this ugly hairless cat? :D That’d be awesome and he’d be loved because he’s so ugly and cute.

Tasha J April 29, 2017 at 1:19 PM

Aw, Bev I’ve listened to that song almost every day, but I’ve not watched the video. It made me teary and I imagined tons of different stories/books for each couple. Though I can’t pinpoint a single book for you, sorry…I’m terrible at it! That’s why I ask all of you when I feel the need.
My particular boy (mastiff) was named Rambo Lincoln (Bobo for sort), but we used his middle name often. I spoiled him rotten and he was a stubborn dog, extremely loveable and playful. He was a lap dog, over 100lbs. He was always happy, thundered through a room, and loved to sit his nasty slobbery face in my lap. After he’d guzzle an enormous amount of water, it’d just hang. *cringes* He was a chewer, as all of mine tend to be, and I have one picture of him where I put a feather pillow (not thinking) in his kennel while we were out and we came home to the most guilty, adorable face in a cloud of feathers. I couldn’t even be mad. He didn’t know his own strength and he was a *whispers* humper. Even after he was neutered. He was only 2 when we had to get rid of him and I still think of him to this day, hoping he’s happy with a wonderful family. At the time, we had a houseful of pets and I had just had my first baby. I was terrified and seriously overwhelmed and we needed to downsize. I don’t regret it, it had to happen, but I was very attached to that boy and he, me.

Tasha J April 29, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Oh, I just saw that Mixed Up is by the same author of the Holly Woods Files series, which I love!! Off to download a sample….
I also downloaded a sample of The Gravity of Us because the hype really has my considering, but I’m hesitant because I wasn’t over the moon with The Air He Breathes

Tessa April 29, 2017 at 2:05 PM

I’ll listen when I get home. :D

Jan April 29, 2017 at 6:56 PM

Ooh. I just noticed Katy Regnery has a new book out in the blueberry lane series. It’s called The Bohemian and The Businessman and it just seems to have come out last week. Maybe it was on your list and I missed it Maryse?

I’ve read most of the blueberry lane series and they’re sweet romances usually with not too much angst – just my style! Some are better than others, and I’m hoping this new one will be good because it starts a new story arc, about the ‘Story sisters’. (that’s their name).

The last book that came out in the series was a terrific book, IMO the best one by far, so maybe this one will be as good. :D It was called JC and The Bijoux Jolis and it was a really great frenemies read about a very unlikely couple who finally find each other – the eternal player meets the savvy, smart girl who’s totally not his type. At first they HATE each other, but then they fall for each other, hard. There’s also a nice art/painting mystery in the story. I’ve just been rereading it, which is what made me go look up Katy Regnery and I found the new book. Ah, Jean-Christian, mon amour. Sigh………..

Going to start the new one today!

Tessa April 29, 2017 at 7:04 PM

Bev, the (second) book that comes to mind is Come Away with Me (With Me in Seattle #1) by Kristen Proby. They meet when she’s taking pictures of the beach, and he thinks she’s taking pictures of him.

The actual first book that came to mind, he ends up being psycho. :D

Jan April 29, 2017 at 7:10 PM

And hey, bargain. The Bohemian and the Businessman is only $0.99 AUD on amazon australia at the moment.

Tessa April 29, 2017 at 7:34 PM

That’s a good price. I put it on my list, Jan. A good fun, light book is always a must to have.

Consolation (The Salvation Series Book 3) by Corinne Michaels is free.

Tessa April 29, 2017 at 7:38 PM

Broken: A Dark Romance by Willow Winters is also free

Nay April 29, 2017 at 8:54 PM

Tasha–The Gravity of Us and The Air He Breathes are NOTHING alike. I FLOVED TGOU so much more!!

Cheryl April 29, 2017 at 9:19 PM

Hi everyone!!! Missed you all. It’s been crazy the last couple weeks. We’ve been doing some home renovations, so the time I usually read and comment here I’ve been working in the house. Then, my daughter just turned 16, so we’ve been planning and getting ready for her birthday/sleepover and we’ve also had family visiting. So READY to read something and catching up on posts.

Grey, what happened?

Spring or Summer?
Summer. School nurse- summers off.

Pie or Cake?
Cake

If you had to dye your hair one of these colors: pink or turquoise?
Pink

Gold or silver?
Silver

Precious or semi precious gems?
Both

If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?
Why?

House in the mountains or house in the desert?
Mountains

Mastiff, beagle, or a hairless cat?
I guess beagle

If you had to name said pet Gus, Gert, or Jane? (Middle name of your choosing)
Gus.

Favorite pizza?
Cheese

Sixteen Candles or Pretty in Pink?
Don’t remember enough to choose

Last book you bought?
The Hot Shot

Last line you read that you had to read twice just cause you liked it so? Can’t remember

Jan April 30, 2017 at 12:32 AM

“If you had to move: Wyoming or Wisconsin?
Why?”

*snorts*

That was my thought too, Cheryl. It’s a long way from Australia……..

bev April 30, 2017 at 12:56 AM

Just one of those have to pick one questions.
Like: eat a pint of chocolate ice cream a day or never eat ice cream again?

Jan April 30, 2017 at 4:21 AM

Haha bev.

Leslie M April 30, 2017 at 6:26 AM

Duh! That’s easy.

EAT A PINT OF ICE CREAM EVERY DAY!!!

Who could possibly give up ice cream???

R. Renee April 30, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Guys!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s Nay’s birthday!! Woop woop!

Maryse April 30, 2017 at 9:42 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NAY!!!!!!!!!!

*happy dance* :D !!!

Cheryl April 30, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Happy, Happy Birthday Nay!!! Wishing you a year of good health and happiness!!!

bev April 30, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Happy Birthday, Nay!!!

Have a wonderful beautiful day and year. :)

Tessa April 30, 2017 at 9:50 AM

Happy Birthday Nay! Wishing you lots of five star reads and a fun day today. :D

Maryse April 30, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Er… I’d be okay with a pint I think. :) Can it have all the sugar-flavor-yumminess yet NO calories? This is fantasy world right?

Maryse April 30, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Yeah but she said CHOCOLATE. I just noticed. I DO love chocolate, but every single day… I dunno. I never choose chocolate ice cream right off the bat, anyway. I’m more strawberry or vanilla.

Cheryl April 30, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Pints are small Maryse! I think I could handle one a day, certainly couldn’t live without ice cream. Although, this week with 3 birthday celebrations I think I am cake and ice creamed burned out.

Cheryl April 30, 2017 at 10:00 AM

What’s the “it” book I’ve missed out on these past couple of weeks?

Tessa April 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM

I’ll live without ice cream. lol I don’t want to eat chocolate ice cream only. I want coffee flavor, vanilla with hot fudge, cookie dough, cake batter, and most of all, magnum double caramel.

So if I can’t have those, nope. No ice cream for me.

Tessa April 30, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Cheryl, Gravity of Us

Nay April 30, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Thanks, everyone! A year ago today, I was having surgery to get my heart pump for my OLD heart. What a difference a year makes!

*twirls and does a happy dance in my mind* …because my body’s not quite *there’ yet LOL

Tessa April 30, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Best of April time! I’m saying this looking at four that have NOTHING in common, but hit my best of best category and I have to choose one.

Tessa April 30, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Alright, as much as I loved Etched in Bone and Franco, the other two were better.

Filthy, Rich Men by Laurelin Paige – Seriously, CATNIP!! This is not for everyone but I’m so glad Grey brought it to my attention. *huggles Grey* My bully buddy. :D
Gravity of Us by Brittany C. Cherry – because… Pure perfection

Fabi April 30, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Happy happy birthday Nay!

Tessa April 30, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Yeah Nay! That’s great. It’s wonderful when you look back and a year later, you’re doing so much better. :)

bev April 30, 2017 at 10:23 AM

You guys make me laugh.

Nay, Taurus rules!!!

I’m going with Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (narrator Lin Manuel Miranda) as my fave of April.

Cheryl, that’s the book everyone listened to and loved. Totally the hot book around here. I know I was shocked too. But hey…*shrug*
I was all ok Amy, geez, don’t book push so hard I’ll listen to it.

Nay April 30, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Thx, Fabi!

Maryse–I just noticed that Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock, #11) by Faith Hunter, a preorder that’s coming out on Tuesday, 5/2 (squee!), isn’t on your list.

Cheryl April 30, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Haha Bev!! Well, I guess I should “listen” to everyone and especially Amy *shocking to hear she was pushy* and read this one next. I was able to read The Hot Shot. It was a read that got better as it went along. Enjoyable, not great. ;)

Maryse April 30, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Thank you Nay!! I shall add it! :D

bev April 30, 2017 at 11:03 AM

I can give the audible for free to others as long as they have never accepted a loan before.

Other than that one the talk has been The Opposite of You and The Gravity of Us.
The Opposite if You I just started, reading time has been minimum.
The Gravity of Us probably won’t read as a previous book by the author didn’t really work for me.

Oh, and Thoughtless. That old chestnut.
Do. Not. Read. It.

MichelleS April 30, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Happy Birthday Nay! ❤️

Favorite April read: Larks, hands down

My intestines couldn’t handle daily ice cream. I’d be taking Imodium daily!

MichelleS April 30, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Bev – do you have the actual eBook for Dante? Or just audible?

bev April 30, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Just audible. I know. I thought I wouldn’t like it either–but I did.
I have since gone back to non fiction for listening.

Even though I loved Aristotle and Dante I think for fiction it would depend greatly on the narrator + the type of writing otherwise I’d probably zone out completely.
And this book had the right combo for me. Plus, I was going on a walk every day which is why I decided to try it then.

It’s free MichelleS, so if you ever want to give audio a whirl again let me know.

R. Renee April 30, 2017 at 2:39 PM

My favorite April read was The Sweet Gum Tree followed VERY closely by Sea of Tranquility.

Tasha J April 30, 2017 at 3:02 PM

:O. The Sweet Gum Tree is as good as or perhaps better than SOT?!?! I NEED this book when it re-releases!

R. Renee April 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM

I liked it better based on the angst alone, and I loooooooved Nick.

Grey April 30, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Happy Birthday NAY!!!! *confetti cannon* and strippers… because well… dammit, a new heart deserves strippers! we love you!!!

Jan April 30, 2017 at 7:52 PM

Nay, have a wonderful day and year :)

Tessa April 30, 2017 at 8:36 PM

This is random, but I thought it was interesting. I was reading a Forbes article on why to watch American Gods (I was planning on it anyway). But this quote said a lot to me.

Fantasy and science-fiction are often lumped into the same genre, but in many ways they’re completely at odds. The former is concerned with belief, magic, the unknown and inexplicable. The latter is obsessed with technology, science, and the tangible.

This is probably why I’m so much more in tuned with fantasy than sci-fi. I love the magic and belief in more than what is. I wonder if that means that those who prefer sci-fi are more wanting to know the how and discovering what is?

Nay April 30, 2017 at 8:45 PM

Thanks again! And bring on the strippers!!!

bev April 30, 2017 at 8:51 PM

That’s interesting, Tessa. I definitely prefer fantasy.

Jan April 30, 2017 at 9:29 PM

Yes it is interesting Tessa. I like both, for different reasons. I’m a bit of a closet geek and I love all the sciency stuff, like Alastair Reynolds’ Revelation Space series. Or Jack McDevitt’s ‘Hutch’ series. Wonderful stuff. BTW, a new Hutch book is coming later this year – The Long Sunset. Squeeeeee.

But then I go gaga over some fantasy books e.g. Ursula LeGuin’s Wizard of Earthsea series. It’s just ‘suspend your disbelief’ and go into that wonderful and mysterious world.

The thing about sci-fi books is that the technology needs to be plausible, but it doesn’t actually exist (yet!), so in a way it’s kind of fantasy as well. Just different overtones.

As a teen I really loved Ann McCaffrey’s Dragonflight series. It’s a really interesting case, because it reads like a wonderful gothic fantasy, with telepathic dragons etc. But as you read on in the series, it becomes more and more overt that it’s actually sci-fi, not fantasy. These are humans on another planet that lost touch with Earth aeons ago and have developed their own creatures (through science!) and created a new mythology.

Tessa April 30, 2017 at 9:47 PM

I’ve seen some books combine magic and science, but never like that. The most common one is the science of magic. Nothing overt, but enough to know there are rules and that things don’t work because the science behind it doesn’t. However, never anything where it’s genetic or something.

I’m not saying I hate scifi. I grew up with the ultimate scifi/fantasy ALWAYS playing in the house: Star Wars. :D (it came out a few months after I was born, so really… always). I just found it an interesting statement and wondered if that might be why, even if you like both, if some might lean more towards one than the other.

Jan May 1, 2017 at 12:47 AM

Haha yes Tessa. Star Wars is sci-fi,but it follows the rules/structure of a fairy tale, so another interesting crossover.

Tessa May 1, 2017 at 9:46 AM

I thought so. It’s sci-fi genre, but with enough myth and magic to really have a fantasy feel. I remember from my Mythology class that Joseph Campbell called it the perfect modern myth story. Humble kid goes off to defeat evil with magic powers. :)

Maryse May 4, 2017 at 9:45 PM

Ela…

It just seems like the right answer. Two… didn’t.

Maryse May 4, 2017 at 9:46 PM

Peridot is my birthstone. As a kid I was always bummed out I didn’t get the pink or baby blue one. Or even the diamond.

*sigh*

I supposed I’m still bummed about it.