Happy Friday everyone!! I’m finishing up a book today (super-romance and absolutely made for us!!) and will be reviewing shortly, and then I think… maybe time to choose an adrenaline-pumper. I want a fun/scaryish reading weekend. Something dark. Or that has a mind-blowing, super-clever twist that I didn’t see coming. I have a few on my list, but if you have a recommendation for me, I’m all ears!
I’m also thinking something poignant and emotional and life-changing (always unputtdownable and unforgettable), but… *sigh* my wonderful mommy has left me this morning, and headed back to Canada. I think I’m already feeling too melancholy for that. It’s bittersweet, you know? Best time ever, but saying goodbye is the worst. Knowing it’s coming, each day, one day closer and reminding myself… don’t think about it. Just live in the moment. Enjoy each and every moment.
And I did. I had the best couple of weeks with her, celebrating her birthday, Canadian Thanksgiving, experiencing a hurricane with her (although we were safe on the west coast), going on a cooking spree (I cook now, too!! And she’s proud)… and talking books (in fact, I just inherited a paperback copy of Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King all used and read and recommended to me!!! I’m excited!).
But even though I already miss her, and was not ready for the visit to end, I’m so happy to be back to my books. Because no matter if I feel melancholy at times, I’m never lonely when I’m reading a good book. Have you noticed that? She and her friend and I were discussing that very fact… the character’s, the “worlds”, and the stories make us feel always, as if we’re part of an adventure (fantasy, or realistic, romance, or a sweet YA). Part of a group. Part of a family. Yep! They keep us company!
LOOK WHAT WE FOUND!! (NOTE: bargain priced when I added them, but prices can change on Amazon, so make sure to check before you finalize your order. Sales listed are for Amazon U.S., however some of the Amazon UK links also reflect the sale!):
- A Love Letter to Whiskey by Kandi Steiner <— LIVE!!! SOUNDS INTENSE!! “It was just me — the alcoholic, pretending like I didn’t want to taste him, realizing too quickly that months of being clean didn’t make me crave him any less. But we can’t start here. No, to tell this story right, we need to go back. Back to the beginning. Back to the very first drop. This is my love letter to Whiskey. I only hope he reads it.”
- The Wrong Side of Rock Bottom by Jennifer Foor <— LIVE!!! AFTER LOSING HIS WIFE TO DRUG ADDICTION, HE’S TRYING TO GET HIS CHILD BACK… “Rogan Marks lost his wife to addiction. One month later his daughter was taken from him, the court appointing his unforgiving in-laws to raise her. When the system fails him, Rogan will go to extremes to get what’s left of his family back. He knows the risks, and who will come after him, or how the authorities will never stop looking. The only choice for Rogan is to disappear – to hide amongst society.”
- Sweet Haven (The Sweet Series Book 2) by K.C. Lynn <— LIVE!!!
- Strife: The Complete Series by Sky Corgan <— LIVE!!! SERIES BUNDLE ALERT! SHE’S HOMELESS & HE’S A ROCK STAR ALERT! “Pepper has hit rock bottom. After being thrown out on the streets, she’s willing to do whatever it takes to survive. Dmitri Strife is a world famous rock star trying to break into the movie industry. Seedy company leads him into a chance encounter with Pepper that will change both of their lives forever…“
- Tonic by Staci Hart <— LIVE!!! SHE’S NO NONSENSE & PRODUCING A REALITY SHOW AT A TATTOO PARLOR ALERT! “When she’s tapped to produce a reality show at Joel’s shop, she doesn’t think twice, just goes in for the kill, as if there were any other way. The second Annika walks into Joel’s shop, he makes it his mission to crack her open, but she’s not having it. He’s all wrong — too crass, too hairy, too un-serious. But it doesn’t take her long to find out there’s more to him than smirks and tattoos.“
- Tempting Tempo (The Tempest Rock Star series Book 5) by Michelle Mankin <— LIVE!!! ROCK STAR ALERT!!!
- Southern Pleasure by Kaylee Ryan <— LIVE!!! HE’S TRYING TO KEEP HIS DAUGHTER… “My ex signed over her rights and her family vowed that my daughter didn’t exist. Now that she’s gone, they want my little girl. They’re trying to say I can’t give her what she needs…“
- Torrid Affair by Callie Anderson <— RECOMMENDATION FOR “WHAT TO READ AFTER ARSEN” and Nay recommends it! (P.S. Welcome Nay!!!! I’m so glad you’re here with us). Nay: “Ooooh Torrid Affair! I read that last month and really enjoyed it. It should be on the ‘What to read after Arsen’ list! It wasn’t at all what I expected and I think that ended up being a very good thing. Enjoy, Ela!“
- Bittersweet (True North Book 1) by Sarina Bowen <— SARINA BOWEN ALERT!! This one is super-bargain priced today ’cause book #3 is coming out soon!!
Teri: I just finished Bittersweet by Sarina Bowen. I love her and this one did not disappoint. I actually think it’s the best I’ve read by her. The writing was great, the story fun, steamy and kept my attention throughout. The secondary characters are interesting and I can’t wait to read book 2. Read it in one sitting.
- The Tutor by K.D. Grace <— HE’S A RECLUSE AND HE HIRES HER ALERT! This is a recent release and Lisa is enjoying it!!!
Lisa: Did anyone else one click, The Tutor? I did, and I’m in the middle of reading it…and phew, I had to stop reading and take a breather, cuz man is it erotic, and I love that broken man!!!! Of course, I can’t read it at work during my down time, cuz well, that’s just not the way I want to be at work, LOL. Just want to know if anyone else is reading along and thinks it’s as amazing as I do!!!
- Ruin & Rule (Pure Corruption Book 1) by Pepper Winters <— PEPPER WINTERS BULLY BOOK ALERT! Tessa is our resident book-bully addict, and she just warned Amy and I away from this one (’cause as much as we like bully books, sometimes they infuriate us too much and we rant. LOL!! It seems this may be one like that). But if YOU love a good, hardcore bully book, Tessa is enjoying it!
Tessa: I’m insane over jerk Hs who are just mean, bullies, a$$holes… Speaking of jerks, Amy and Maryse, don’t read Ruin and Rule. I love it but you two would have issues like you did with Fear Me. I’m loving it.
Grey: Slides Ruin and Rule up the list…
- Rainfall by Melissa Delport <— ONE OF MY FAVORITE, MOST UNFORGETTABLE BOOKS EVER! Cristina just discovered one of our absolute favorites, so OF COURSE I’m posting this one on here, to insist you all read it!!!! It’s got a clever twist that had my heart in a lurch!!! (my 4.5 star review)
Cristina: “Rainfall”… just WOOOOOWWWW! I went into this completely blind! I made a promise to myself, not to read any reviews, and I’m SO happy that I didn’t! It’s been a long time since a book has made me weep like a baby, and this one had me SOBBING by the end! I must confess that I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I LOVE the story, but HATE the way it made me feel after reading it. Don’t get me wrong, this is one of the best stories I’ve read in a very long time! It left me with not just a lot of different emotions, but a lot of DEEP feeling emotions. I truly felt this story, all the way to my bones!
I will STILL be thinking about this story for quite some time to come! The relationship develops rather quickly in the beginning, but this story isn’t about the falling in love, it’s about the fight to hold onto it. One of the reasons this story is so unique for me is because I usually don’t connect with a H/h if the connection or relationship is too quick. I always go for the slow burn, so I wasn’t quite sure in the beginning, BUT then there’s the twist and THAT”S what got me, hook, line, and sinker! I’ve come across a lot of books over the past few years that I have liked and even loved, I very rarely come across one that truly guts me. Those are the books that I feel for days or weeks, and even after the feeling has faded, it always arises again at the mention of it’s name. I would love to say more about this book, but it could take away from the next reader’s experience. All I can say, is that this is definitely a 5 star read for me! Thank you Ms. Delport for ruffling my feathers and giving me those feels all over again!!! Phew! It’s time for a drink!
Cristina: Ladies, I’m still grieving over Rainfall! It’s one book I would LOVE to see on the big screen. It would literally having me SOBBING in the theatres, Notebook style. Grey you SOOOO have to read this one! Don’t forget the wine and tissues!
Jean: Christina, we all feel you with Rainfall…..hang in there.
Maryse: Cristina!!!! Rainfall was one of my most favorite books. EVERY DETAIL I remember… that twist, and that ending *oooooooooomph*!!!! LOVED IT!
- The Soul Summoner by Elicia Hyder <— LOVE TRIANGLE ALERT and Gloria recommends it! “Hi! I just read the Soul Summoner series by Elicia Hyder. It was fantastic. It is a paranormal romance with a love triangle that you’re not sure how it’s going to go for a few books. Do you know of other series with a similar story? TIA!”
- The Ground Rules (Book 1) (The Rule Breakers Series) by Roya Carmen <— TWO MARRIED COUPLES and this one MADE CRISTINA CRAZY! Yep… many of us reacted like this, so you know I had to post it! Cristina: ”…Ground Rules was another book/series that invoked some very STRONG feelings in me. That series was a freaking emotional yo-yo for me! It’s one of those situations that you’re saying to yourself, “NO WAY would I EVER do something that crazy!” BUT then you’re so darn curious that you can’t help but want to know what happens!! I just knew it was going to be a train wreck and I willingly and eagerly hopped on for the ride! I literally was yelling at my Kindle, several times over…”
- Patchwhore by Kim Jones <— BIKER BOOK & SHE’S GETTING REVENGE ON HER CHEATING EX BY SLEEPING WITH HIS MC BROTHERS and DG recommends THIS recent release!
DG: So…Patchwhore…is just HILIARIOUS. I love a good “revenge” book. Especially when the ex gets all JERKY…throw in some bikers…some hot and some not…yeah, fun read!
Jan: Huh. Patchwhore. I hate the title and wasn’t going to look at it, but DG now I have to add it to my TBR. *huffs out a pretend annoyed sigh, then winks*
DG: LOVED Patchwhore…will definitely be checking other books by this author…nothing better than a woman scorned seeking “revenge” on her ex…add in a TOTAL biker hottie with a little bit of mystery around him…just DELISH!
Northernstar: I am half way through Patchwhore (I also hate the title) but I am pleasantly surprise at how funny it is. I was thinking that it would be a dark read, but so far it’s quite adorable!
Cait: i just finished patchwhore and I bloody loved it! Cook is such an alpha! It was so Witty at times I just had to laugh out loud!!
- A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses Book 2) by Sarah J. Maas <— ANOTHER HUGE RECOMMENDATION FOR THIS ONE! Jessica LOVES it!
A Court of Mist and Fury from A Court of Thorns and Roses series is a MASTERPIECE!! I am jealous of those who haven’t read this series yet because I would love to go back to the beginning and discover the world Sarah J Maas has created. All the characters are worthy of their own books… but the Hero in book 2… there are no words that could come close to describing what I feel for this captivating, multilayered, hauntingly beautiful soul… he is perfection… like top of the list worthy perfection!!! Maryse and fellow book lovers I beg you to shuffle your TBR lists around and put this series close to the top.. like real close *nudge, nudge* It is a series that is too good to sit on a shelf waiting. Yes book 3 is still to come but the anticipation is worth it. …And Feyre the protagonist is a complete badass… she is exactly the type of female character I admire… smart, resourceful, fierce but also loving, kind and gentle. I will stop now ;-D
- Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass series Book 1) by Sarah J. Maas <— SAME AUTHOR AND THIS SERIES IS MUCH LOVED TOO! Theresa is right there with Jessica in regards to this author’s awesomeness!!
Theresa: Hey Maryse…just wanted to throw out there an AMAZING reader recommendation…The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas! I just binged read the entire series to date and I could not get enough! Sarah Maas is now one of my favorite authors…she creates a beautiful world of magic and mystery that is entwined with complex characters and a stunning plot that will leave you breathless. A 5 star read for sure…I can not wait for the final book to be released!!!!! Thanks to Sarah Maas for this amazing adventure!Ps- Also read her Court of Thorns and Roses and it was equally as beautiful…looking forward to indulging in the second read…Court of Mist and Fury! I can’t get enough!
- AUDIOBOOK LVERS ➜ For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>
- AND! Here’s the fun-tool again! —> Find out which of YOUR Kindle books are available as audiobooks at a BARGAIN-PRICE! <— This thing is so cool (Amazon calls it “Matchmaker“)! It’s an Amazon feature, that scans your Kindle books and will list all of the ones you have that are also available as an audiobook at a discounted price (not normal audiobook prices). This way, you can switch back and forth, seamlessly between your ebooks and your audiobooks. !!! VERY COOL! In fact, just toggle you and idea… here are the ones I’ve found from my own ebook library, that have an awesome “also available in audiobook” bargain price:
PREORDERS (next week’s!!! )
- Black Swan Affair by K.L. Kreig - October 17th 2016 <— Okay yeah… I just saw the blurb for this one, and this part GOT ME. BLURB JOLT ALERT!! HOLY. MOLY. Yes I will be reading this.
“He was always meant to be mine.
He came back, all right. But instead of smelling of promises, he stunk of betrayal. And he destroyed me—us—the day he married my sister instead of me.
So I did the only thing a girl like me in my position could do.
I got my revenge.
I married his brother, Kael.
Now we’re one big happy f*cking family.”
- Behind Closed Doors by Lisa Renee Jones - October 17th 2016
- Three Simple Words (Kingston Ale House) by A.J. Pine - October 17th 2016
- Gemina (The Illuminae Files) Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff - October 18th 2016
- Damaged (Torn Series Book 8) by Pamela Ann - October 18th 2016
- A Secret Affair by Carina Adams, Jeannine Colette, Leddy Harper, Nicole Hart, Lauren Runow, Stephie Walls, S.L. Ziegler - October 18th 2016
- Defying Her Mafioso (The Vitucci Mafiosos Book 1) by Terri Anne Browning – October 18th 2016
- Ghost Maker (The Ghost Seer Novel) by Robin D. Owens - October 18th 2016
- Honor: The Breaking Point (Breaking Point, The) by Jay Crownover - October 18th 2016
- Beard Science (Winston Brothers Book 3) by Penny Reid - October 18th 2016
- Royally Screwed (Royally Series) by Emma Chase - October 18th 2016
- Paris for One and Other Stories by Jojo Moyes - October 18th 2016
- Hot for Teacher Anthology: Nineteen Stories Filled with Love and Lust by Elle Christensen, L.J. Shen, K. Webster, Dani Wyatt, A. Zavarelli, Julia Sykes, Rochelle Paige, Jane Harvey-Berrick, Aria Cole, Celia Aaron, Carina Adams, Alison G. Bailey, Rachel Blaufeld, Roya Carmen, Sloane Howell, Ava Harrison, Q. T. Ruby, C. M. Steele, Mara White - October 18th 2016
- Dragons Need Love, Too (I Like Big Dragons Series Book 2) by Lani Lynn Vale - October 19th 2016
- Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas - October 21st 2016
➜ CHECK OUT ALL the upcoming BOOK RELEASES here (frequently updated and it goes all the way to 2017!)
Get Maryse’s Book Blog updates delivered by email (you’ll get one daily email that will have each post from that day consolidated on it).