Latest Bargain e-Books – September 19th 2014

by Maryse on September 19, 2014 · 131 comments

in eBook Deals

Happy Friday (and may we all have a whole weekend to indulge ourselves in our TBR lists). ;) I found us some popular and “new-to-me” bargains, plus a few brand spankin’ new releases that sound just right!

<— Like this one. Oh YES!!!! The Wright Brother By Marie Hall, and it sounds awesome and it was just released today!!

Deaf and colorblind, I was a loner. My world was bleak, silent and empty, until her. Until I met my neighbor, Elisa Jane Adrian. I want her. I need her. The fractured part of me feels whole when she’s around. Like the world isn’t so dark, isn’t so bleak, and so still. I know it’s impossible, but when I look at Elisa I swear I can see color, can hear the gentle inhalations of her breath. I know she feels it too, this magic, this desperate desire…

Oh wow, I bet this’ll be intense, so I’ve just got to “taste-test” this!! Others that are making my one-clicker antsy? One To Tell The Grandkids <— I love pregnant single women and love triangles… (at least, that’s where I think this is going…) and The Best Laid Plans (now famous & gorgeous rock star and his mean-girl? bully crush…), and On the Surface (famous NFL player punches out a guy defending a girl in line for his autograph… *swoon*)

P.S. Let me know if I’m missing any or if you loved any (from this list or elsewhere).

P.P.S. Also, while these “look” great (and/or have awesome reviews and recommendations), unless I have my own personal review link next to it, I likely haven’t read it myself… I just found it and wanted to share it in case it’s awesome. So if you read it, let me know if it’s awesome. LOL! :D

NOTE: bargain priced when I added them, but prices can change on Amazon, so make sure to check before you finalize your order.

Todays latest reader recommendations and bargain ebook finds:

• Without End: A Melrose Shops Novel by A.R. Senault <— Jennifer recommends this one, saying: “I had the pleasure of beta reading this book a few months ago. It was really quite good and has stuck with me. It was very well written and the story was original.
  • The Best Laid Plans (A Very Sexy Romance) by Tamara Mataya <— Oh this looks like fun with plenty of great reviews. “Malcolm Black notices his high school crush, Jayne, from the stage of her company’s work party. His adolescent feelings for her died beneath months of abuse at the hands of bullies. Abuse that was Jayne’s fault. Though this scorching hot studio musician is unrecognizable as the band geek he used to be, the hurt still lives inside him, and he hatches a plan: Seduce Jayne into falling in love with him, and then shatter her heart.
  • Always Yours (Always Series) by Kari March <— sounds angsty!! He’s from a wealthy family and love of his life left him, and she’s been left behind, too. “When Cam and Cara spot each other across the bar at Maggie’s Place four years later, neither of them are interested in starting a relationship. They’re both a little unsure and completely untrusting. They try to fight the intense immediate attraction, realizing right off, the seriousness of their chemistry, but as hard as they try, they can’t.
  • Consensual (Consensual Series Book 1) by Livia Jamerlan <— sort of… office romance? “Peyton Haas is sexy, dangerous, and forbidden. The defense attorney on Braelynn’s first legal case is the only man who can cloud her judgment. Unable to stay away, she finds herself lying to everyone around her so she can spend time with the man who makes her feel things she never felt before—things she never dreamed possible…
  • On the Surface (In the Zone) by Kate Willoughby <— FAMOUS NHL PLAYER ALERT!! Okay YES for me on this one. Sounds like something I wanna play with very soon! “Erin Collier is a pediatric nurse who’s never seen a hockey game, but gets in line for Tim’s autograph at a PR event in hopes of impressing the doctor she has a crush on. When an obnoxious fan gets pushy toward Erin, Tim rushes to defend the pretty stranger, throwing a punch in the process…” *swoooooon!!!* Er… is it bad that i just swooned ’cause some guy just punched out another guy? *snort* I mean… it was while defending a woman, so it’s okay, right? ;)
  • One To Tell The Grandkids by Kristina M. Sanchez <— Amy found us this one saying: “Ladies, I found One To Tell the Grandkids when I was scrolling through the recommendations for me in the Kindle store. It looks like a unique storyline, at least for me as I haven’t read anything similar before… …it looks like it’s going to get complicated in a very good way! *bouncing leg and rubbing hands together*” Ohhhhhh YES!!!! This sounds right up my angsty romance alley!! “Since she was a teenager, Taryn Sato skirted the edge of disastrous decisions. When she found herself pregnant after a one night stand with a complete stranger, she knew she was giving her family an opportunity to say “I told you so.” Caleb Ryder was more of a big brother than best friend to Slate McKenzie. When Slate found out he was going to be a father, Caleb promised to be there for him. Though Caleb was the type of man to learn from his mistakes, history threatened to repeat itself in the form of Slate’s baby’s mother, Taryn.” Thanks for the find, Amy!!! :D
  • Unexpected (The Unexpected Series Book 1) by Amy Marie <— I liked the cover & title and it has a bunch of good reviews so far, and so… I checked out the blurb. Sounds angsty! “When her visions of a marriage proposal are met with the ultimate betrayal, Erin finds herself in the arms of sexy and strong-willed distraction, Walker Prescott. Her summer becomes life changing as she realizes Walker has left her with a tiny piece of himself and no way to find him…until he suddenly shows up and turns her world upside down…
  • The Hook Up (Game On Book 1) by Kristen Callihan <— I’m bringing this one back from a recent list, ’cause it seems to be getting a ton of GREAT reviews…
  • The Summer We Fell by Amber Garza <— LOVE TRIANGLE? She finally starts dating her crush but her best friend is suddenly changing… “He’s always been like a brother to me. But lately things have changed. He’s different, and I’m starting to see him in a new light. Our relationship is evolving in a way I never thought possible. I don’t want to lose him, but am I willing to give up Adam for him?
  • Lost To Me by Jamie Blair <— She’s brutally attacked on her prom night… “Now, Lauren relives the events leading up to prom, unraveling the clues that should have warned her of the trauma to come. Like Kolton ’s malicious ex-girlfriend, who’ll do anything to rip them apart. Or Kolton’s mentally unstable brother…
  • Resurrection (The Dominion Series Book 4) by S.E. Lund <— JUST RELEASED!!
  • Unstoppable (The Callahans Book 3) by Melody Grace <— JUST RELEASED!!
  • The Wright Brother by Marie Hall <— JUST RELEASED!! That’s the one up there! :D
  • Wild Card (Elite Ops) by Lora Leigh <— Okay, so it’s not bargain priced, but it comes HIGHLY recommended by Lisa: “Anyone read Lora Leigh, Elite Ops series!! Awesome. So many alpha males, each have their own story and so do their women!! Addictive!! On the last one now!!! Waaa!! Never want it to end!!” and Cristin loves her too! “Yes, Lisa M! I *love* Elite Ops!! One of my absolute favorites.
  • Falling In: (Intermix) (The Surrender Trilogy) by Lydia Michaels <— HOMELESS GIRL ALERT!! All the books in this series are bargain priced and highly recommended by my friends Kandace & Lori!! Kadnace says: “It’s about a girl who has lived her entire life on the street and a rich guy. It sounds simple but it is way more than that.” Lori says: “Love this trilogy so hard! It’s really great, unusual h, alpha H who adores her, awesome. I see a reread coming.” and Bookster is loving ‘em, too: “The main character is first described in a way that totally draws you into the story.”
  • Breaking Out (The Surrender Trilogy) by Lydia Michaels <— #2!
  • Coming Home (The Surrender Trilogy) by Lydia Michaels <— and #3! :D
  • Soldier On by Sydney Logan <— great reviews on this one!! She resents the military (having lost her father during the war) but… “When faced with the realization that she’s fallen in love with a soldier, can Steph’s wounds from the past be healed with love in her present . . . and in her future?”
  • Dreaming of You (Gamblers Book 2) by Lisa Kleypas <— also not bargain priced but HIGHLY recommended. It’s an “oldie” but goodie… and it’s new to me, since I haven’t read it yet. Bev recommended it to Amy: “Derek Craven !!! The glasses scene?♥ And when his “cockney shows”? When I read that book I could totally understand why he topped so many favorite lists…. Derek Craven and his cockney is from Lisa Kleypas’ Dreaming of You. But seriously Amy if you like the swoon in romance give it a shot.” and Michelle says: “Bev, I’ve had a crazy productive reading week and even finished two Kleypas books you recommended, Dreaming of You and Because You’re Mine. They were both fantastic and I’m instantly in lust with her books! The plots and characters are so rich!” and she also said… ”Now I’m thinking of Derek Craven….mmmm ok need to focus” <— I LIKE THAT REACTION!! Love fog!!!
  • Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson <— another Bev recommendation saying: “Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson is another that, well flirts with a triangle that I just love.” Holy moly it’s over 800 pages!!!

PRE-ORDERS (most for this upcoming Monday & Tuesday!!) :D :

andrea September 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Without End: A Melrose Shops Novel is free on B&N for download today…I just got it

Anne Morrillo September 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Rochelle Paige has put all 4 books in her Blythe college series into a box set for 99c/77p. I loved all for books in this series and would recommend to everyone

Kate Cunha September 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I read Consensual by Livia Jamerlan, it was fantastic! Steamy, sexy, hot with a kick ass plot! It’s in my top 10 for 2014

Jean September 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM

OMG….The Wright Brother….. making me really squirrelly right now!

And I’m just going to say this once….. LOCKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may need to call out sick on the 29th for this one!

And did you really have to list One to Tell The Grandkids?!? Haha! Now Amy will be “badgering” all of us to read it!!! (Just kiddin’ Amy… don’t throw anything at me)!

Shelly September 19, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Great pre-order list. I’ve already one-clicked Deacon, Darkness & Locke. I also gifted the other Unfinished Heroes books by Kristen Ashley to a friend since they were on sale for 99 cents. And I grabbed the Courage Collection (with books by Aurora Rose Reynolds, JL Berg, Pepper Winters and more) and the Blythe College Series Box Set by Rochelle Paige for myself since they are both 99 cents.

The “oldies” you included are favorites of mine from Lora Leigh and Lisa Kleypas. :)

Amy September 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM

The Summer We Fell, Lost to Me and the Surrender trilogy look pretty intriguing, but I think Unexpected will be one of my next few reads. What’s with my wanting to read all this baby mama drama?? What is it Maryse says…oh yeah, in books. ONLY in books. ;)

That Blythe College bundle recommended by Anne looks perfect for a college-sports-guy mood…and for .99? Hehe, you know I’m not turning that down!

So we’re starting early today, huh Jean? Oh, okay…how ’bout I find a nice pan for you? :P

Lauren September 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Yay! Been waiting on Maddox Locke’s story since the 1st Corps Security book!! He is my favorite of all the Corps guys.

Eduarda September 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Michelle September 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Can’t wait for Deacon yey :)
Consensual and The Wright Brother look good to me. I looked for the Blythe college series box set but did not see it on amazon?
Oh god my Derek Craven love fog is now highlighted…*girly giggle* oh well he’s worth it!

bev September 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Aw you mentioned Kleypas and Williamson! Derek is definitely worth it. And no I was not thinking of how the cockney remark would sound when I typed it. I promise it makes sense if you read the book.
Amy get your mind out of the gutter. Your reaction still makes me laugh.
I read Heart of the West over a decade ago and I still clearly remember when the heroine meets a certain someone. Been so long since read it it is one of those you are almost afraid to revisit.
C’mon ladies give Derek a chance. Please.
Ok badger over.

bev September 19, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Michelle are you reading Deacon on Tuesday? Definitely starting it that night after work. May finish it because I think it is only a little over 200 pages.

Michelle September 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Bev, I’m getting Deacon Tuesday and hope to read it then but it’s not looking good right now. I have to get through 3 library books by then that are due back and I got completely distracted on my day off yesterday and made little headway :( I didnt even notice it was only a little over 200 pages – geez that’s really short for KA!

bev September 19, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I just had to return/renew some books that I have been completely ignoring.

Cheryl September 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Finishing Reed’s Reckoning, yes Amy and Linda I’m still reading it, my curiosity on how it is going to play out is winning over the choppy writing style!! Then going back to Reasonable Doubt, then ??? The Best Laid Plans looks good. The Wright Brother reminds me a little of Tall, Tatted and Tempting with both H being deaf. Have read On the Surface already.

Tracy September 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I don’t have much experience with Kristen Ashley. How is the Unfinished Hero series? Books 1-3 are .99 each – pretty tempting.

bev September 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I promised myself I’d finally start the EIT series the first week of October. It looks like Amy and maybe Jean will be starting the Fever series in the next week or so. And Michelle will be finishing and Fabi starting the Covenant series.
Maryse don’t you want to join in with all this pnr/uf fun?

bev September 19, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Tracy I think that is a great deal. I’d grab them.
This series is a little different than her others. Um the nickname in Knight not my favorite.

Maryse September 19, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Okay I’m home!!! What should I start… good question Eduarda!

I’m going to make a new TBR list that will list all of the ones that captured my attention over the last week so I don’t forget ‘em.

I’ll put it up in just a few…

Maryse September 19, 2014 at 7:17 PM

bev the next PNR I will start will probably be the “Written in Red” book OR the Darynda Jones series… But yeah I think that’s a great idea for October!! :D

Maryse September 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Amy I know right!!?? What is with me and the single pregnant heroines these days?? I just love that scenario, ’cause it’s just rife with potential angst.

Michelle S September 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Please please please Kristen Ashley – please deliver a winner!! I am ready for Deacon. This was not my favorite series of hers, but, still, not picky these days.

And the Wright Brother. OMG. I am such a sappy sucker for a guy who is deaf. Swoon. I don’t know why. Well, I do. But still… I can’t help it. That has to move up high on my TBR list.

Michelle S September 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Tracy – Unfinished heroes series – like I said, not my favorite KA series (because the other ones are beyond awesome) but still very good. They are darker, grittier. The guys are alpha and then some. They don’t have some of the humor (like Rock Chicks series) or the touchy-feely…. but that girl knows how to write a book, so you can’t go wrong. If it’s the first KA for you – I probably wouldn’t go that heavy! Get a feel for her very distinct alpha man some other way. Sweet Dreams, Motorcycle Man, the Burg series, Rock Chicks…. and the very very very best of all (for me) the Fantasyland series (but that’s PNR). Recommending KA to a newbie on this blog never gets old. It’s the best find ever on Maryse’s blog for me!!!

Tracy September 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM

My one and only KA was Sweet Dreams which I loved but my TBR list just keeps getting longer and longer. I’m bouncing all over the place. I’m reading Rule right now and loving it. I have just finished the first two Cat and Bones books which are awesome and I still have the 2nd book with Tristan and Danika to get to. I don’t want to miss anything, Now I have to go check out the Fantasyland series.

MichelleS September 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Tracy – the second in the fantasyland series was the best by far (Golden Dynasty) – read Maryse’s 5 star review (you know she’s picky about giving those 5 stars out). Read that first, don’t need to read book one to get the story. Then go back. :-)

Fabi September 19, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Tracy, sounds like you hopped on the rollercoaster that is trying to keep up with Maryse’s lists and the recommendations on her blog. :-)

Amy September 19, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Alright, I finished the Grandkids book, and it was good! Not too heavy on the angst and drama but enough to keep me reading to see how it would all work out. Then again, my angst tolerance is pretty high by now. ;) I would recommend it when you need something on the lighter side but still want some drama.

Oh, Golden Dynasty. *sigh* That is my absolute favorite of the Fantasyland series. I actually read that one before I read the first one, and I swear I am still in love with Lahn. And Circe. And them as a couple. Yep, they are up there with Tristan and Danika as far as couple crushes go.

Amy September 19, 2014 at 8:28 PM

*snort* Bev said cockney again. :P

Kimberlyindy September 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Debra Kayn released her newest one yesterday Starving For Vengeance, and I had to read it straight through. I love, love this whole series. I had never read any MC books before her Breathing His Air came out, no I am hooked!

I an looking forward to checking out some of your other recommendations, I new to your blog.

Tracy September 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Yes Fabi it is a roller coaster but what a ride !

Amy – what is on the martini menu tonight.? It’s a red wine for me tonight. The weather in CT is getting a bit chilly so I have officially switched from my summer white to red.

Maryse September 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM

OMG I LOVE Sweet Dreams and Golden Dynasty!!! And At Peace!! And Mystery Man!! And Motorcycle Man… oh I could go on…

Maryse September 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM

You guys!!??

Should we start the Wright Brother?? Should we??

Tessa September 19, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Maryse, Tijan is gonna sell the Fallen Crest series all for 99¢ on Sunday, soooo… The first one’s free… *cough* hint hint *cough*

Maryse September 19, 2014 at 10:57 PM

We need another fall martini my friends!! ;)

Tracy September 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I have only read the first Fallen Crest and the rest have been on my TBR so I know what I will be buying on Sunday.

A fall martini! A great idea.

Tessa September 19, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Amy September 19, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Arrrrg!! I was going to start 53 Letters to My Lover, but you know I’m a sucker for having reading buddies. Fine! Wright Brother it is. ;) Anyone else in?

Tracy, I actually enjoyed a nice merlot tonight. But now I’m wanting to try Tessa’s pumpkin pie martini…and this:

Amy September 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Oooooooh, just wait until I start cranking out the Halloween martinis. :D

Jean September 20, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Finishing Crazy Good today and then jumping right to The Wright Brother! I can’t resist it!

Maryse September 20, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Oooooh AMY!!!!! I wanna read that book!!!!! How did I miss THAT. I just one-clicked it. :D

Maryse September 20, 2014 at 8:17 AM

How’d you like “Crazy Good” Jean?

Jean September 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I am only at 50%… kinda slow for me in the beginning but I’m expecting more angst coming my way….I didn’t used to like the angst but lately I’ve been thrivinng for it! Lol! Can’t wait to start the Wright Brother though…..

Jean September 20, 2014 at 9:08 AM

And I have a wedding today…. guess I can’t sit at the table reading….

Fabi September 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Is The Wright Brother PNR/UF. I’m not sure I a can tell from the blurb. It says “I met him when I was three” then it says “I am so much older than him” I’m confused

Fabi September 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Jean I’m at 63% with Crazy Good but I started Bad Things last night. It started off with a bang. Enjoy the wedding, even if you can’t sit and read at the table. Lol

bev September 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Ha, Jean that would be hilarious if you sat and read a romance at a wedding. Have fun and mmmm cake.
Fabi I read the blurb last night and did not catch that. I’ve read one of her pnr that came in a bundle.

Jean September 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Thanks guys! I didn’t think the Wright Brother was PNR.

Fabi how are you liking Bad Things? I don’t know how you read 2 books at once!

bev September 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM

That’s right, I forgot Fabi was reading Bad Things. I’m curious too.
I saw one of the review headings for The Summer We Fell was “cute as a button” makes me want to one click. Sometimes I just want those really sweet, cute, warm fuzzy books.

MichelleS September 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I picked The Wright Brothet… Maryse… So far so good. Reminds me of Making Faxes right now. Coming of age. She’s literally know him since he was born. Bonded as kids. He moves back when he’s almost 16… She’s 18. Super sweet so far…. He’s a triplet… The one who is deaf & colorblind (I don’t think author understands colorblind, but not a big deal).

Amy September 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Maryse, right?!?!? I’m starting 53 as soon as I finish The Wright Brother. First chapter in and Julian as a baby is already tugging at my heartstrings, the sweet little guy.

*giggle* Jean, see how fun angst is?? Just wait ’til you build up a tolerance…don’t worry, we’ll be here to hook you up. ;) Have fun at the wedding! I’m with Bev…mmmmm, cake.

Cheryl September 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Finished Reed’s Reckoning and now ready for a well-written book with some ooompf!! The Wright Brother huh?! Have to clean my house, but after that I’m in!!! ;) While cleaning I’m going to listen to The Best Laid Plans!!

Maryse, I seem to recall the 53 letters on one of your previous book release lists.

Cheryl September 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Yum, wedding cake!! Have fun Jean.

Amy I’m surprised you don’t have a wedding cake martini!! ;)

Fabi September 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I pretty much always have two books going at once because I’m listen to one and reading another. It’s more unusual that I’m reading two at once unless one is non-fiction. Can’t say I really did it before joining Maryse’s blog. There are just so many I want to read now. While working I only get 30 mins to an hour of reading time per day. :-(

Bad Things started with a bang. Like it when that happens. Haven’t gotten past the start yet. Crazy Good was at a good stopping point. Where some things resolved and others haven’t come to surface yet.

Amy September 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM

“You will rescue Peeta at the earliest opportunity, or you will find another Mockingjay.” <—— BAM! Tell 'em what's what, Katniss!!!

*hee hee* Sorry, I got a little carried away with the Mockingjay trailer.

Actually, Cheryl…

fabi September 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Amy, lots of good movies coming out this weekend right?

Y’all were asking about Bad Things. At 7%:

“Yes what?”
“I came here to f**k you.”
–ch1–came in for a kiss, but –ch2–pulled back “No kissing.”
–ch1–grinned. “I beg your f***ing pardon?”
“Just sex. No kissing.”
The throaty growl of a laugh –ch1–had when he was in full-on hunter mode rumbled out. “You want to f**k. But you don’t want to kiss?”

Sure, call me a perv, but I was so in the mood for something like this…a straight shooting, gritty character, take no prisoners type of story. No matter if the character is female or male, it’s the the personality I was looking for in my next read.

Michelle September 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Amy, oh. my. god. I loovved Deity, and I swear if I had to wait to go onto Elixir like you did, I would have thrown a fit! I burned through the rest of Deity and Elixir in one sitting last night, could not put them down! The first two books were four stars for me but Deity is a five star read – I mean ok, it’s not literary art and the writing is just above average but it’s sooo entertaining with twists and turns all over the place. I’m seriously so invested in Aiden – every word out of his mouth at this point has me getting misty eyes *swoon* Oh and everything with Seth is making me boil…uggh I can’t say anything without spoiling it. I want to just rush into Apollyon but I have to finish two other library books…hopefully I can contain myself until then!

Tessa September 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Michelle, you are tempting me into re-reading the series. I adore Aiden, and where you are at was sooooo good.

I’m late in a pnr discovery I guess a lot of people made. Rebecca Zanetti’s Dark Protectors series. All of them are Kindle Unlimited,which is how I found them. I just read the first, Fated, and loved it. 9 more books, (including novellas) for me to enjoy :-) . Did someone mention these to me and I flaked?

Amy September 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Fabi, Mockingjay doesn’t come out for another couple of months. :( I just saw the trailer and got a little overzealous!

Michelle and Tessa, wasn’t Aiden just incredible with Alex in Elixir? Love him, love him, LOVE HIM!! I’d snuggle *his* manatee. :P I’m with ya, Tessa…re-reading it sounds soooo good right now.

I need to stop playing online and finish cleaning house so I can get back to Julian Wright…

Maryse September 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Okay I’m reading The Wright Brother, then, letters! :)

Amy September 20, 2014 at 1:23 PM

OMG. *covering face with hands* I really did put that about his manatee.

I’m gonna…I’ll just…okay… *ducking head and leaving the room*

Sharon F. September 20, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I want to personally thank anyone who recommended Bright Side by Kim Holden. I’m 63% in and feel like reading every word is like walking over a land mine. I feel it coming. I know it will be bad and I know I am going to CRY.LIKE.A.BABY! I am in love with Gus and Keller and have such a crush on Kate. Ok, back to the angst tha I haven’t felt in a long time. What the heck am I going to read after this?

linh September 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I just finished reading Rules of Protection by Alison Bliss and I am still smiling. It’s such an entertaining book. The heroine has absolutely no filter and everything that comes out of her mouth is hilarious. And I love it when the hero is strong and quiet and just lets her run rings around him. The supporting characters were fun and can I say I had such a great time with this book? It would make such a great Rom Com movie. Please file this for when u want to just have fun with a book and need something light.

Fabi September 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Linh thanks for the heads up on Rules of Protection. There are times that’s what I really want to read and have such a hard time finding books like that.

Maryse September 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I just got to the “good part” ;) in “The Wright Brother” (at least, I’m feeling the angst and anxiety at this point…) YAY! Finally! Not that it was that far in… just… I’m glad I’m here now. LOL!

Cheryl September 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Amy, you don’t disappoint!! :)

Now for me to finish cleaning so I can start The Wright Brother. Have to say I’ve been listening to The Best Laid Plans while cleaning and it started out soo good, but I can’t believe I’m saying this but there needs to be less sex and more talking and angst!! ;)

Amy September 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I’m having mixed feelings about the other two Wright brothers. :? *sigh* oh, sweet Julian…

Andee September 20, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I think you guys will like 53! Loved Troy!!

I just finished Heart of Light by T.K. Leigh, and with the topic of human trafficking there was a good amount of angst. The H is Cam from her Beautiful Mess series! I didn’t realize that when I first went in and was pleasantly surprised, because he is the ultimate sweetheart! Would definitely recommend!

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 2:03 AM

I’m at 40% with Bad Things. I haven’t been able to put it down all day. I have barely been able to breath since I started reading it. So I thought I’d take a minute and just come vent with all of you. Probably the only audience who could understand how a book can wrap you up, steal your breath and hold you in thrall for the duration.

I do wish I’d had a reading buddy for this one because, while it doesn’t go all the way like TTM did, it does walk that fine line between being able to deal with what I’m reading and literally shutting my eyes and thoughts down from it.

It is breathtaking. I think that’s the third time I’ve said that. As you can see from the time of my post, I won’t be getting much sleep tonight. I am spellbound by this story. Where is it going to go? What is really happening? Do I love the main character or do I hate him?

Did I forget to mention the absolute brilliance of the writing skill? In not a single moment have I been distracted by the writing style or poor flow or poor grammar or any of the other little things that so often mar a good story nowadays. I don’t know a single thing about this author. I don’t know if he/she has any other works or is self-published or anything. But if I were to take a guess based on this book, I would say this is an experienced, accomplished and talented author who is professionally published.

Alright, vent over. Sorry. Just have to share sometimes when reading a powerful book. You know? I was so desperate for one of these. Unless something drastic changes in the last half of the book, this is a 5 star for me. Only my 3rd 5 star of the year and y’all know how many books I’ve gone through.

Break over, gotta get back to it. Thanks for indulging my rant.

MichelleS September 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Fabi – “5 stars” “breathtaking” and “brilliant writing style” …… wowza – gotta check that one out for sure…… and you’re sharing at 2:00 am? You ARE in a book fog. That’s awesome. Going to read the sample of that one today and see if I am in that kind of mood.

MichelleS September 21, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Fabi – you mean the Bad Things by V Krylov? Not the BT that is Tristan and Danika #1, right? Because I read that……

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Yes the one by v krolov. It was on Maryse’s previous list. I’d call a cross between Try and The Tied Man but really all its own.

bev September 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Just started Carnal Secrets by Suzanne Wright. I’m only 14% in but enjoying it. So far it is just a straight forward shifter romance, which is fitting my mood this morning. It seems like it has been awhile since I’ve read one of these and forgot how fun it could be.

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Monday is going to be a mess for me because I can’t put this book down long enough to get anything else done. It’s taken me through the gamut of emotions, passion,fear, horror, heartbreak, compassion, and the list goes on.

Amy September 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Finished The Wright Brother! I think a lot of the ladies on here would like it as the level of angst is about midway on the scale…well, *my* scale in which high is the level that us angst junkies go for. ;) I wanted to smack Elisa at times and tell her to grow some lady balls and quit running away! *Literally* running away. And Julian…I wanted to be mad at him at one point but just couldn’t. He nestled himself into that soft spot in my heart. Yes, ladies, I do actually have a soft spot!

Still not sure how I feel about those brothers of his though. :?

Michelle September 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Now I’m curious Amy with your high tolerance for angst and putting you on the spot, what are your top picks for most angst-filled books? I got The Wright Brother too but will not get to it with my current pile of library books and borrows for a while. I’m currently reading a borrow, Black Lies, yes I know how behind the curve I am with this. I have to say though there must be one hell of a progression for this book, since I’m at 22% and there’s still only one guy with about 200 pages left.

Fabi, your read sounds really good but I usually do not go for M/M unless there is a female thrown in there somewhere, although your gushing is tempting me…

bev September 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Oh Michelle that is a good question. I’m curious too, Amy.

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Michelle, if you don’t like m/m books, don’t read this one. The m/m sex is not just implied, it’s graphic. It also has a strong element of BDSM. These things are at the front and center as well as interwoven with the plot of human traffickers of young foreign girls who need to be brought to justice.

It’s a pretty heavy book. Again, I can only compare it to a cross between Try and The Tied Man albeit with its own story and characters.

After the 50 or 60% mark I realized there is a previous book. While this is not a sequel, it does bring back those characters for a cameo. So, guess what my next read will be? :-)

Amy September 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Hmmmm, angst-filled reads…first, know that I differentiate between angsty, emotional and disturbing, even though for me a book can be all three or just one or two. Make sense?

My intro to angsty books was with Thoughtless (high angst!), and others off the top of my head that were high on my scale would be Avoiding Commitment and The Opportunist. Rock Bottom and Arsen would be mid to high angst for me. And emotional. *sigh* Loved those. If you want PNR and angst try The Dark Prince (Dark Light series book 2). OMG, that thing worked me over something awful – in the best way. ;) I know I’ve read other high-angst books, but those are the ones that stand out right now.

What about you, ladies? What have you considered high angst? I’m curious, too. ;)

Amy September 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Also, I’ve heard the Groupie trilogy is pretty heavy on angst, so that one is throwing out a siren’s call to me as well. :D

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Amy, you don’t put Bright Side or Rainfall in that group?

Amy September 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Fabi, I would say for me Bright Side was *extremely* emotional but not angsty, and Rainfall was maybe mid angst with a lot of emotion. That combo can kick my a$$ as well. ;)

Angsty for me is anxiety inducing, makes my tummy feel like it is eating itself – lovely visual, I know ;) – and makes my chest splotchy (my anxiety “show”). Emotional gives me all kinds of feels like feeling sad, feeling turmoil, wanting to cry, etc. And disturbing? Um, think Tied Man or Courtesan. Yeah, those. Tied Man was disturbing and emotional. *shudder*

Michelle September 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I get what you are saying Amy about a difference between the three. That’s a fantastic list too – have read all except two. I have Avoiding Commitment but haven’t read it yet and the Dark Light series has been on my radar for a long time and I never went for it…but if you are saying it has mucho angst with PNR that is like my kryptonite and I’m going off to buy both of those books in that series right now :D The series has more than two books planned right?

Michelle September 21, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Fabi, yeah I’m not into it as much so I might have to just add it to my list and maybe in the future I will give it a go if the story is that amazing. I would have to be in a very particular mindset but my tastes change all the time so I never rule anything out.

Amy September 21, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Michelle, the second Dark Light book (The Dark Prince) is the most angsty. My lord, that book is full of angst and emotion! The third and final book will hopefully be out before the end of the year. And don’t forget the novella, Nikolai. ;)

bev September 21, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Amy great descriptions. I can do some angst and really enjoy it sometimes. Sometimes it depends on how angry I get at the characters, lol. I want to still like them. Well in this genre. I read and loved Gone Girl and the leads are very unlikable.
So I thought Wethering the Storm was angsty and really enjoyed it. Sea of Tranquility was emotional with hits of angst and loved it. Avoiding series I couldn’t do it. I didn’t like any of them.

bev September 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Oh and have the others you mentioned just haven’t read them yet.

Michelle September 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I just saw the novella too and got it ALL! I know I will like it since I’ve been eyeing it for the longest time and you were tremendously right about giving me a push to read the Covenant series :) I also want the other book by Jennings, Taint, looks yummy in all the wrong ways ;)

Speaking of angst, I’ve heard the Fallen Crest series by Tijan fits that description and the first three books are only .99 today so I just one-clicked that as well if anyone is interested.

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Hmmm ok Amy from your definitions I guess I like angsty. Just can’t handle too much on the emotional side. I can definitely do disturbing if it doesn’t cross a line I have drawn in my imaginary reading sand. (TTM crossed it)

So I’m really intrigued with the Dark Light series you mention. If I haven’t already read it (the name rings a bell) I want to check it out.

So out of curiosity, what would you classify Maybe Someday, Try, Surviving Raine? I know Beatiful.Disaster is angsty as well as the Slammed series and Mr Daniels are all angsty. Loved them all, but some of these others I can’t classify.

bev September 21, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I have to say that if in a book if one of the characters does something really hurtful to the other I need groveling and a sincere apology. And time, maybe a lot of it. The I cheated, abandoned, or etc., but get over it does not work for me.
Recently had this problem with The Promise.

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 5:07 PM

btw the 3 I ask about are all 5 star for me so I’m curious.

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Me too Bev!!! I feel even better when there is some payback involved. :-) I’m a mean woman. Lol

Michelle September 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I must like angsty books more than I realize too because I’ve read almost all the books you are throwing out. Fabi, I typed Try in amazon quick because I hadn’t read that one…and its M/M and I thought of course haha!

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Yeah, of course Michelle. I’m a total perv ( in books only!!!) hahaha

bev September 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Lol, Fabi. This was one of the big problems I had with Taking Chances.
To me Beautiful Disaster had a fun type of angst, if that makes sense? Same with Love Left Behind.
I have True love Story unread and think that will be the painful emotional type of angst.
I have Try also. I’ve heard such great things about it.

Amy September 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Aw, Michelle, I’m so glad you like the Covenant series so I can share the Aiden love with ya!! I’ve read the Fallen Crest series, and that is a good one, too. I’d say midway on the angst and emotion scale. Mason is broody and soooooo sexy. ;)

Bev, that is a perfect way to describe Sea of Tranquility. I’ve heard The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller has the same feel to it, so I bought it but haven’t read it yet. It sounds e-mo-tion-al!

Amy September 21, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Fabi, I haven’t read Try, Surviving Raine or Mr. Daniels (have them, though!) but I would say Maybe Someday was mid to high on emotion with just enough angst to make make me squirm. And it was beautiful. Now, Ugly Love was HIGH on angst and emotion and pummeled me. Beautiful Disaster for me was midway with angst and emotion…and Travis was my first contemporary romance BBF. ;) Oh, and Slammed I would say was right about where Maybe Someday was but with more angst.

Hope you guys like the Dark Light series as much as I do…you PNR junkies! :P

MichelleS September 21, 2014 at 6:33 PM

AMY!!!! what are you waiting for?

“I haven’t read Try, Surviving Raine or Mr. Daniels”

I LOVED all three. In this order: 1. Surviving Raine, 2. Loving Mr Daniels, 3. Try

They are three very very different books, so if you are in the mood for serious alpha with issues and a wild ride, go SR. If you are in the mood for a tamer read, with a well written teacher/student/forbidden romance, go for MD. If some seriously hot m/m steam tickles your fancy, go for Try. Didn’t think m/m/ could BE that hot. Fanning self. If I could pick ONLY ONE – it would have to be SR. :-)

MichelleS September 21, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Oh, and I LOVED the dark light series too…..

bev September 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Michelle S signing into another’s palm is what Helen Keller did because she was blind, right? But the hero in the book is only color blind?
It hurt my heart, in a good way, how differently Sebastian and Raine thought of the island.

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM

“Didn’t think m/m/ could BE that hot. Fanning self.”

Yup, me too. Till I read Bad Things. *every fan in the house turned on*
Oh no. Wait. Is that the fire department I hear turning onto my street?

I agree, if I could only pick one of those up there, it would be Surviving Raine. What a crazy original angsty emotional disturbing and wonderful book. <— Look Amy – it has all your categories ;-)

bev September 21, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Who is planning on reading Deacon on Tuesday?

Side note, I just heard the Cosby show premiered 30 years ago!!! I know I was really young but STILL!

Michelle S September 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Fabi – I’m reading Bad Things now!!!! Serious clenching going on. I’m a sicko…. he’s as alpha as they come – and huge – and rough – and filthy – and likes men!!! And I am turned on? What the heck? Seriously good book…. that’s what!!

Fabi September 21, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Thank you thank you thank you and a million more. I’m at 93% and it has been one crazy roller coaster ride. My stomach is in knots and I so desperately want to vent with someone about this book. It is just nonstop. I haven’t put it down at all and won’t until I’m done. It has taken up my entire weekend. There is just soooo much in this ONE book. So many feelings. Honestly, I will go straight from this one to her previous one. I want more!!!

Fabi September 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM

This is what Varian Krylov says about her writing:

In my writing, I poke at social issues, but more than anything, I dig into the psyches of my characters. Sex is the medium, the expression, and the tool of discovery for their insecurities, the needs that drive them, the comfort they can’t live without, the joy and relish of life that makes each of them intense, strange, and alluring.

I’m so glad Maryse listed this author/book. I never would have run across her otherwise.

I just devoured one of her books so I’m off to read everything else she’s written.

Jean September 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Wow, you guys were busy this weekend and I feel out of the loop!

Love all your comments! And agree with Amy’s different angst settings. I have actually become more tolerant, but HATE cheating! I have not read any M/M books yet…… I’m chicken!

Amy, you have not read Surviving Raine yet?!?!?!?!?? I am soooo disappointed!!

Oh i was thinking if you all at the wedding I had this weekend waiting for the cake! But guess what trumped that… A sweet treat table with jars and jars of candy! Just grab a bag and fill it up! Yum! Love candy!!!!!

Finished Crazy Good and The Wright Brother!!! Both great!

Jean September 22, 2014 at 12:41 PM

OK went totally off my TBR…. started 53 Letters…. Whoa, whoa, whoa… now this is ANGSTY!!!!!

Cheryl September 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I squirreled from The Wright Brother and read Sins and Needles from my tbr list, and LOVED it!! Amy I think you and Jean rec’d this one. Can’t wait to start On Every Street!

Jean September 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Yes Cheryl! Loved Sins and Needles! Amy and I still need to get back to OES! I loved The Wright Brother, but wow, just started 53 Letters (which I think Maryse and Amy are reading or maybe finished by now) and it is good!!!! So different!!!

Good to hear from someone Cheryl……I thought I had been orphaned by you guys for not being around this weekend! Lol!

Cheryl September 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Amy I agree with your description of different kinds of angst. I read the Groupie trilogy and it was up there with Thoughtless, The Opportunist, and Tristan and Danika series, with high angst.

I haven’t read Surviving Raine yet either; although it’s on my tbr list.

Jean September 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM

You guys, seriously, you HAVE to read Surviving Raine!!! One of my all time favorites!

Cheryl September 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Jean not sure how you resisted jumping right into On Every Street. ;)

I’ll read Surviving Raine when I’m finished The Artist’s Trilogy ( have to see how this one turns out- Camden or Xavier?!)

Jean September 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Haha Cheryl, I know! I was totally crushing on Camden, but I don’t think I really have gotten to know Javier yet!!!! Gotta read OES……

Amy September 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Cheryl, did you hear that? It sounded like someone kind of familiar… :P Missed ya, Jean!

I finished 53 Letters and while it was no Arsen (I swear that book has ruined me for all other books like it), and for me the angst wasn’t near as high, it still packed a good punch straight to the ovaries. Buh-bam! Both sides.

I’ll probably start OES now. As weird as it sounds, I don’t *want* to like Javier, and I have a feeling I just might before it is all over. You’ve seen depictions of someone pulling an a$$…excuse me, a donkey and the donkey has it’s heels dug into the ground? When it comes to liking Javier, that’s me…the a$$. Er, I mean donkey. ;)

Jean September 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Haha Amy! Yeah, I feel the same way about Javier because I REALLY love Camden! Maybe that’s why neither of us have moved onto the next book!

Cheryl September 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM

At this point I don’t see how I can like Javier, BUT I have a feeling there’s more to it than was depicted in Sins & Needles, BUT how do you really like someone that despicable who did *that* to Ellie and her Uncle. BUT I guess things are not always what they seem…

Amy September 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I want to see how that one thing is explained…you know what I’m talking about, the thing that was the catalyst for her leaving him? I have a feeling *that* incident was somehow “business” related, as in he was told to do that, but it still doesn’t make it right. That jacka$$. I’m starting OES tonight so I guess I’ll find out!

Jean September 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Yes Amy, I would like to know too. As soon as I finish 53 letters, I am going back to OES!

Cheryl September 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM

That’s what I was thinking too Amy, some type of “deal” or something to get Ellie to react/admit her feelings or a “test” of her loyalty?
Resuming my reading of OES…

Cheryl September 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Well damn, OES didn’t give any explanation, just a little more story leading up to *it*…and whatever the reason, it wasn’t going to make it right for Ellie. Javier is still a jacka$$. Guess have to read Shooting Scars…

Jean September 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Hmmm interesting Cheryl. That one is next for me. I am just finishing 53 Letters For My Lover and I just love it! OMG I am feeling everything in this book… my heart is pounding….so different, great writing…yep heading for a book fog!

Amy September 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Aw man, Cheryl… *pouting* Thanks for the heads up, though! I was going to squirrel and read With the Father, but I ended up sticking with OES.

I just realized how I sound…hypocritical, maybe? I can’t stand when a main character in a book gets cheated on by their guy, and yet I like to read books like Arsen and 53 Letters where the main character is the one doing that. But I’m going to steal Maryse’s tagline again: In books…ONLY in books. ;)

bev September 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Amy I’m the exact opposite. The cheating trope is one I rarely read, but I do better when it is the man. Maybe because we are usually in the woman’s head and I can’t stand making that choice? I don’t know. Also I need the man to really make up for it.

Jean September 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I hate cheating! But 53 Letters is different….. I accepted it from the beginning for some reason.

Maryse September 23, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I’m reading it right now…

Amy September 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I liked 53 Letters, but I had a little bit of a problem grasping, I guess, the pull to each other initially after all that time apart (not spoilery, it’s at the beginning). Maybe it’s because there was no real buildup? Whatever the reason, I understood how it came about with what her marital situation was. But only because it’s a book…in real life, no no no no no…

bev September 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM

It’s funny but I feel like it is only in romance that we feel the need to say “only in books”. If reading a mystery I never feel the need to assure people I’m ok with murder only in a book, lol. And I don’t wonder what horror readers are doing in their spare time.

Fabi September 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Bev, that’s so true. I think it’s because contemporary romance so closely mimics real life that we make a point of diffrenciating what we allow only in a literary sense and what we are otherwise comfortable with in real life.

Cheryl September 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I think “only in books” because it’s obviously not real and there are no repercussions or ripple effect of cheating. It’s made to seem romantic or justified.

Sorry, Amy & Jean, I just realized that I gave away too much with my comment about OES. I was just so frustrated. But, *hint,hint* keep reading…

Amy September 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I didn’t find anything spoilery about your comment, Cheryl. ;)

Jean September 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Finished OES and really liked it! I think I have to continue this series! I didn’t want to fall for Javier….. but somehow it happened! Now I am torn between him and Camden!

Oh and I can’t stop thinking about 53 Letters For My Lover…… and it’s days later… love when that happens!

Amy September 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Jean, are you going to start Shooting Scars right away? I’m about 60% in and ooooooh, it’s getting *really* good!

Jean September 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Yes, starting it tonight!