<— OH EM GEE!!!!! Okay for those of you that knew I was DYING to read this (OMG the blurb!!!) and we were planning another spooky buddy read, this book (The Girl With All the Gifts) JUST WENT ON SALE (it’s like over $10 usually). *gasp* I just TOTALLY ONE-CLICKED IT!! AMY???!!! AMYYYYYY let’s read it! Oooooh this list couldn’t have come at a better time, ’cause a few of us were about to read that one over there to the left. Another scary buddy-read!!!
And not just that one went on super sale either. The book industry is preparing us for Halloween quite creepily, ’cause SO many awesome looking psych-thrillers, zombie, ghost stories and hauntings and plain ol’ horror is on sale!!!
- The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey <— THEY HAVE TO STRAP HER DOWN BEFORE CLASS ALERT!! This is the one me ‘n Amy and hopefully a few more were wanting to buddy read together. Come on yous guys!!!! Let’s huddle in our blank fort again. I’m still looking for that super-horror that will force me to keep my lights on for nights on end! Maybe this is it?
- Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill <— STEPHEN KINGS SON ALERT! Megan recommends this one! “I read only one or two scary books a year and Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill is one that all this time later I still get creeped out about. Let me know if anyone tries it.” and Cindy agrees! “I have to mention 2 books that were great! They are always so hard to put into a category! … Horns and Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Both have creepy-ish moments but also some gasp worthy moments/plot twists. He writes such cool stories!! I’m not sure what HSB is classified as but to me it is in part a love story, def not our traditional, but still it is. “
- NOS4A2 by Joe Hill <— STEPHEN KINGS SON ALERT & Anna loves this one! “I love everything by Joe Hill! So far I’ve only read Horns, Heart Shaped Box, and NOS4A2- but all were fantastic!… He’s such a great story teller!”
- The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker <— PINHEAD HELLRAISER & I HAVE A STORY ABOUT HIM ALERT!! Is this the one that inspired the movie? OMG THAT MOVIE SCARED THE POOP OUT OF ME! And then… that’s not all. Okay one time, I was at my friend’s house and she had a HUGE lifesized cardboard cutout of Pinhead (like a movie advertising swag thingie for theaters that stand there and creep you out and stare at you and stuff)… anyway… it was hung up on her wall. And he ALWAYS creeped me the heck out. Maybe she should have too, going to sleep in a room with that horrific creature. LOL! Anyway, so one time, we were having a sleepover (likely after one of our horror-movie marathons) and then we were sleeping, and we heard a noise. *rrrrriiiiiiiipppp* *thud*!!! It woke us both up with a start. And we were all… what was that?!! And I looked up and HE WAS GONE!!!!! *gasp*
- The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin <— CREEPY PERFECT TOWN WITH THE CREEPIER PERFECT WOMEN ALERT!! Yeah this one is definitely a little… soulless.
- Soulless (Parasol Protectorate Series Book 1) by Gail Carriger
- Help for the Haunted: A Novel (P.S.) by John Searles <— HER HAUNTED SOUL HELPING PARENTS WERE MURDERED ON A JOB ALERT! ”Sylvie Mason’s parents have an unusual occupation—helping “haunted souls” find peace. After receiving a strange phone call one winter’s night, they leave the house and are later murdered in an old church in a horrifying act of violence.”
- The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn <— CREEPY HAUNTED HOUSE ALERT! “Holbrook House is but a shell of what it once was, a target for vandals and ghost hunters who have nicknamed it “the devil’s den.” Aaron doesn’t believe in the paranormal—at least, not until a strange boy begins following him wherever he goes.”
- Lie Still: A Novel by Julia Heaberlin <— TRYING TO ESCAPE HER STALKER ALERT! “When Emily Page and her husband move from Manhattan to the wealthy enclave of Clairmont, Texas, she hopes she can finally escape her haunted past—and outrun the nameless stalker who has been taunting her for years. Pregnant with her first child, Emily just wants to start over. But as she is drawn into a nest of secretive Texas women—and into the unnerving company of their queen, Caroline Warwick—Emily finds that acceptance is a very dangerous game.“
- NOCTE (The Nocte Trilogy Book 1) by Courtney Cole <— DARK READ PSYCH-THRILLER ALERT! “My name is Calla Price. I’m eighteen years old, and I’m one half of a whole. My other half– my twin brother, my Finn– is crazy. I love him. More than life, more than anything. And even though I’m terrified he’ll suck me down with him, no one can save him but me.” and Tasha went CRAZY for it! “I bought Nocte by Courtney Cole and was absolutely captivated from the very first page. Heck even the forward had me wiggling in anticipation. The story was AMAZING! I didn’t want to put it down, I was dying to find out the secrets…oooooh the secrets!! Didn’t see them coming, I guessed and guessed and just when I thought I knew, nope not quite! I felt so connected to the characters and all the emotions.. I don’t want to give anything away because it’s best to go in completely blind. This was the first book I have read in so long that I didn’t skip anything, not even a little…“
- VERUM (The Nocte Trilogy Book 2) by Courtney Cole <— Jean is TOTALLY into these!! “Maryse, I think you would love these! I have some guesses as to what’s going on but still kinda stumped! Verum is much darker and creepier than Nocte and I liked that!”