The news links are still coming in fast and furious and the media is still going crazy with this Fifty Shades trilogy. Interesting stuff to read and watch (and on occasion, frustrating, ’cause I still tend to think they’re overdoing it with the whole “sex” aspect).
As Jan on my Facebook page mentioned:
Jan: I got frustrated watching Good Morning America talking about 50 Shades. All they talked about was how hot and sexy the book is. They seem to be missing the point that it has hit the best seller list, because it also has a great story and fascinating characters.
Of Course, I will never eat Ben & Jerry’s ice cream or ride in an elevator without a smile on my face.
Maryse’s Book Blog: LOL!! True though. They sure are running with the whole *sex* thing. Like I said. They missed the point, it goes so much deeper then that. But I suppose the media and “sensationalism” go hand and hand. As the old adage goes… “Sex sells “
But there are just so many reports and video clips, it’s getting hard to keep up. So I’ve done my best to compile a list for us to look at, at our leisure
- Angela sent us this link (“Borrowed from Tina’a page - Deconstructing Fifty Shades of Grey
- Jamie: Front page of the New York Times!!! (“Ok, my Mom is now starting Fifty Shades because of this article… LOL!! Should make for interesting coffee talk with Mom”) - An Erotic Novel, ‘50 Shades of Grey,’ Goes Viral With Women
- Logan Levkoff, Ph.D.: “Here is the clip from my appearance this morning on Good Morning America. (It’s short, but I think, poignant.)”
- Logan Levkoff, Ph.D: “Here is my clip from the Today Show talking about Fifty Shades of Grey. And I DO NOT think that the book represents violence against women. Just sayin’ .” (this is the one with Dr. Drew)
- Lucia emailed me this link: “Hey, Maryse. I don’t know if you saw this article about EL James and her phenomenal work in Guardian UK, so I sent you this link, hoping you will publish on your blog.” “British author’s ‘mommy porn’ becomes US bestseller” —> Thanks Lucia!!! side note from Maryse: ICK! What a title! *rolls eyes* – how disparaging!
- I found this one online: “from today’s Publishers Marketplace purchase reports: Women’s/Romance
“Paperback rights to EL James’s FIFTY SHADES trilogy, to Anne Messitte at Vintage, in a major deal, reportedly for seven figures, at auction, for re-release starting March 12, 2012, by The Writer’s Coffee Shop. James is represented by Valerie Hoskins at Valerie Hoskins Associates.”
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’: Fantasy or violence? (“In the video clip above, hear from panel of women, including Dr. Drew’s wife Susan, discuss the content the racy novel.”) – Sidenote from Maryse – Yay Dr. Drew’s wife!! She totally won’t “let him go there”. She GETS the book.
- Darcy Town There’s an article on CBS news about it too: How BDSM e-book “Fifty Shades of Grey” went viral
- Maryse’s Book Blog via Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James “Woooohoooo Christian is #1!!!!! Best Sellers – The New York Times www.nytimes.com”
- Popular Romance Trilogy Gets US Publisher
- Erotic Novel Called ‘a Band-Aid for Marriage’
- Amy Palmer Reporting on New York Live about The Fifty Shades Phenomenon
- Fifty Shades of Grey: Risque Trilogy a Hit with the Playground Posse
- Movie Rights Auction Set for ‘Mommy Porn’ Book Sensation ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ (thanks for that link, Tina!!)
- Beth sent me this link saying “Here is the link for the Today show talking about 50 shades” –> In the NYT: Steamy ‘Fifty Shades’ trilogy gets a wider re-release
- From Brandy: “I saw this and it made me laugh so I has to share it with ya!!” –> What It Would Really Be Like to Be Married to Christian Grey
- And from Sylvia: “March 26th issue of People Magazine (page 52) had a good paragraph on Fifty Shades of Grey. Thought you would find this interesting.”:
“What do women readers want? Judging from this literary juggernaut – an erotic novel about a shy undergrad in sexual thrall to a kinky exec – the mix includes S& M, highbrow references (our heroine quotes Thomas Hardy) and a hero with mom issues. Degrading to women? Not really. If you can overlook the clunky writing, James’s word-of-mouth hit is a fun ride.”
- Here’s one from Lucia: “British author’s ‘mommy porn’ becomes US bestseller“
- And a little note – check it out on Amazon – it now says:
- Publisher: Vintage (May 25, 2011)
- Sold by: Random House Digital, Inc.