For Us Fifty Shades Fanatics – A Compilation List of the Media Attention

by Maryse on March 13, 2012 · 15 comments

in E.L. James, News

The news links are still coming in fast and furious and the media is still going crazy with this Fifty Shades trilogy. Interesting stuff to read and watch (and on occasion, frustrating, ’cause I still tend to think they’re overdoing it with the whole “sex” aspect).

As Jan on my Facebook page mentioned:

Jan: I got frustrated watching Good Morning America talking about 50 Shades. All they talked about was how hot and sexy the book is. They seem to be missing the point that it has hit the best seller list, because it also has a great story and fascinating characters.

Of Course, I will never eat Ben & Jerry’s ice cream or ride in an elevator without a smile on my face.

Maryse’s Book Blog: LOL!! True though. They sure are running with the whole *sex* thing. Like I said. They missed the point, it goes so much deeper then that. But I suppose the media and “sensationalism” go hand and hand. As the old adage goes… “Sex sells ;)

But there are just so many reports and video clips, it’s getting hard to keep up. So I’ve done my best to compile a list for us to look at, at our leisure ;)

“What do women readers want?  Judging from this literary juggernaut – an erotic novel about a shy undergrad in sexual thrall to a kinky exec – the mix includes S& M, highbrow references (our heroine quotes Thomas Hardy) and a hero with mom issues.  Degrading to women?  Not really.  If you can overlook the clunky writing, James’s word-of-mouth hit is a fun ride.”

• Publisher: Vintage (May 25, 2011)
  • Sold by: Random House Digital, Inc.

Jane March 13, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Fifty-fever is everywhere!

You should also check out the story in the UK’s Daily Mail newspaper:

What I found HILARIOUS about this story, was the little ‘excerpt’ that they include in a side box:

***********

‘Christian is standing over me grasping a plaited, leather riding crop.

‘He’s wearing old, faded, ripped Levis and that’s all. He flicks the crop slowly into his palm as he gazes down at me. He’s smiling, triumphant. I cannot move. I am BLEEP and BLEEP, BLEEP on a large four-poster bed.

‘Reaching forward, he trails the tip of the crop from my forehead down the length of my nose, so I can smell leather, and over my BLEEP, BLEEP lips. He pushes the BLEEP, BLEEP BLEEP, BLEEP, BLEEP etc…’

Maryse March 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM

*Bleep bleep* funny! But come on! It wasn’t that bad was it? hehehe

Gail Nichols March 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I took a look at your video pieces and Dr.Drew is a piece of work. I think he is just upset because” 50 shades of Grey” is doing for women/marriages in a few weeks what he hasn’t been able to do as a doctor his whole career and maybe he’s jealous.

Beth March 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM

My library just got in the series so I already have my name in to finally read them. Of course everyone must read your blog because there are about 50 names ahead of mine. I will have to check back and see how many copies there are and how long my wait is.

Maryse March 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM

AND!! Let us know what you think of ‘em Beth. It’s not just hype ;)

angie March 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Jen March 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Ooooh I am so excited – I don’t have time to “read” so all my literary pleasure comes from audio books and I have been seriously contemplated making an exception for this book since you’ve been chatting it up for months – but it’s finally coming out in audio on April 3rd! Yay! Now I can thoroughly read your posts instead of skimming and hoping I don’t spoil it for myself!

p.s. I love your blog!!! My entire “reading” list comes from you and you never fail!

Maryse March 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Thank you Jen!! I love being able to help out ;) YOU are SO going to love Fifty… Make sure you get back to me and let me know your thoughts!

Jennifer March 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I read the first three chapters and I just couldn’t get in to it. To me, the book’s main female lead was so annoying that it was frustrating. Give me a woman who has a backbone and can kick some butt. Do you think maybe I gave up on the book too soon? I know that the book has BDSM in it and I’m cool with that, but a weak and whiny woman as the lead just turns me off.

Andrea March 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM

KEEP READING!!! I felt the same way. I seriously put the book down for a few minutes and picked it back up. You won’t be disappointed!!!! :)

Moxie Pepperpot March 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I just arrived home from a VERY long day at work to find Fifty Shades on the freaking cover of EW.  Yes.  Entertainment Weekly!!  Obviously my long day is now forgotten and I bask in my happiness that Fifty’s trilogy is being widely recognized.

I, like everyone else, have been following this media storm and it has definitely helped me to convince my friends to finally give the E. L. James’ Trilogy a chance.  I feel like shouting, “See!  This is what I’ve been telling you!”  But then, a different thought penetrates and I suddenly have this amazing need to state the obvious.  But it’s a need I cannot, will not deny…

What I have to say is simply this… E.L. James owes a good amount of thanks to Maryse.  Period. Okay, there’s more…I also need to explain my thoughts.

Yes, E.L. James has created amazing characters with depth and heart to make a series of books that you WILL NOT put down until you’ve read the last word.  I am definitely not discrediting her phenomenal work.  But, with that said, I certainly would NEVER have heard of E.L. James or her books.  Not without Maryse’s love of strong alpha males, the books that they come to life in, and the highly descriptive and entertaining way she reviews those books on her blog.  If she deems the book worthy, she shamelessly expresses her love for it and the character and proceeds by listing the reasons for her love.  She does this with the magical ability of keeping books’ secret(s),  but also makes us understand why we NEED the book that she has enthusiastically deemed worthy.  To date, she has not let me down.  She has gained my trust and has added another fan to her already large fan base.

So Maryse, thank you for being you, for all you do, and most of all, thanks for sharing your gift with us.

Maryse April 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Moxie… WOW!! Thank you so much. I am deeply touched. That is the most amazing thing to read. Just know, that I too, am so happy to have you guys enjoying these books with me. Enjoying the blog with me. It’s two-sided, my friend. Thank you all for sharing your favorites with me, and for sharing your time with me right here.

Moxie Pepperpot April 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM

For anyone who’s interested…I just found Fifty on Audible.com. =) My commute to work will never be the same!!

bookster April 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM

People magazine states this week Fifty shades is being turned into a movie?? did we already know this? They have Amanda Seyfried and Ryan Gosling as possible cast?

csw July 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM

ahhh. Master of the Universe, still spreading like wild fire. :-)