- Whoa!!! Charlie Hunnam just dropped out of the “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie and now they have to find a new Christian Grey. They’re saying his TV show schedule will not allow him enough time to prepare for his role, however sources are mentioning “cold feet” from the incredible amount of attention he’s garnered. Check out the article I read on Hollywood Reporter, here. The above tweeted screenshot from author E.L. James appears to confirm this.
- Here’s an older article (on IBTimes) indicating the actor’s initial struggles with the role. (sidenote —> I get that. My husband and I were discussing just how BIG this role (and the expectations) will be and I can’t imagine the kind of attention (good and bad) he must have been getting since the announcement).
“We had a couple long creative conversations about what the role was, what it meant,” Sutter said. “He [Hunnam] struggled with it because obviously there’s a lot of noise around that role. There’s a lot of predetermined expectations.”“Sutter’s comments follow recent reports that Hunnam was considering dropping out of the film, specifically due to fans’ protests and a petition to get the series’ author E.L. James to recast.”
- Speaking of “attention” he was getting, apparently he was receiving lingerie from fans, on his doorstep! IBTimes also reports it (using a quote from his neighbors and what they’ve seen)…
- Here’s an article from a couple of days ago on Entertainment Weekly featuring a quote where Charlie discusses his upcoming role… (and a few personal comments from the cast members of his current show Sons of Anarchy, where it is mentioned how seriously Charlie is taking this role).
”There are so many fans of that book, and I know that on the surface, I’m probably not what everybody imagined. Because reading is so personal and people bring a character to life in their imagination, they feel ownership over that character. That’s daunting if I allowed myself to think about it too much. I’m taking it very seriously and intend to explore the nature of who this character is, what motivates him-and also dress up nice and look good in those suits,” he said.
- Actress Jennifer Ehle will be playing “Anastasia’s” mother in the movie. Read the article at “The Guardian” here.
“The character, Carla May Wilks, is described as a flighty and self-centred woman who enjoys turning her hobbies into ill-fated business schemes.”
- Rumors for other character casting… “Chris Hemsworth as Elliot Grey and Blake Lively as Kate Kavanagh” (here on IBTimes). Those roles have yet to be officially announced. But just for “opinion’s sake”, I think it works!
- And while I’m not getting much on Dakota Johnson (aka “Anastasia Steele”) regarding her upcoming movie role, I did find this fun article on Yahoo Canada where her mother Melanie Griffith “dishes” on her daughter’s reactions to the whole thing (and a few personal comments from her about her daughter, too):
“… the only thing she said was, ‘Please just make me do the dishes when I go home. I want everything to stay really normal,’” Melanie revealed. “I mean, she’s really got her head on her shoulders. It’s really nice.”
- Opposing Views posted about the funny Saturday Night Live videos of the Fifty Shades of Grey “casting process”. They’ve even linked up to the video skit.
- And I know a ton of our fellow readers wanted Matt Bomer for the role of Christian Grey, but he’s been really good at keeping his interest or disinterest tightly locked up. This article from a few days ago on Entertainment Weekly indicates only this, from him:
“At the premiere of the fifth season of White Collar, Bomer told ETonline, “I’m so grateful for the fans and touched. I’m looking forward to seeing the movie with Charlie and Dakota.”