12 Earlybird Book Releases that sound too good to wait until tomorrow…

by Maryse on January 16, 2017 · 163 comments

OMG WHAT A MONDAY!!!! This is yet again, another awesome “earlybird list” that really seems to secure Monday as the new “Tuesday”. Well… at least by way of crazy-awesome sounding releases by our favorite authors.

Sure sure… Tuesday’s list will always be the biggest, as that’s the official “book release” day in the book world, but let’s just call Monday a super-concentrated “mini-Tuesday list” and what an amazing way to kick off the week. ;)  I mean… come on…

Just take a look at these that are LIVE RIGHT NOW!

• Love in Lingerie by Alessandra Torre <— IT’S LIVE!!! ALESSANDRA TORRE/OFFICE ROMANCE ALERT!!! Pure contemporary romance, but plenty of slow burn, and tension and boy does that tension equal some super-steamy almosts. ;) It’s funny too! In fact, here’s my book review. ;)

Rachel: Thanks for the reminder! She’s a one-click for me :)

Maryse: My pleasure, Rachel!! She is for me, too. :D

• Worth the Wait (Kingston Ale House) by A.J. Pine <— LIVE!!! HE DOESN’T WANT TO GIVE UP HIS HEART, until he meets her… “I wasn’t planning on Grace–the beautiful, funny, totally off-limits massage therapist who keeps popping up in my life. She’s on a six-month mission to rid her life of toxins. No alcohol. No red meat. And, yeah, no men. I’m talking full-on man cleanse.  I know I should walk away, but I can’t…and the only way to keep her in my life is to live by her rules…
  • Menace (Scarlet Scars Book 1) by J.M. Darhower <— LIVE!!! J.M. DARHOWER MAFIA ROMANCE ALERT!!! HE’S BADLY SCARRED and people are afraid of him… “They say he’s a sociopath. Maybe he’s a psychopath. Whatever path he’s on, people tend to stay far away from it. Until one day, a young woman bumps right into him–a woman just as fed up with life, but for much different reasons. With a Scarlet Letter inked on her wrist and secrets buried deep in her soul, Morgan Myers is running from something...”
  • The Rule Maker (Rule Breakers) by Jennifer Blackwood <— LIVE!!! THE NEW CLIENT AT HER JOB WAS A FORMER ONE NIGHT STAND THAT DIDN’T CALL HER BACK ALERT!!!! Gasp!!! WHAT A…!!! Ugh!!!! *sigh* So this one might be a whole lotta fun. I love the blurb so much, but it’s her first 5 rules that had me laugh out loud!!! :D Baaaahahahahahahah!!!!

1.) Don’t sleep with the client. It’ll get you fired. (Sounds easy enough.)
2. Don’t blink when new client turns out to be former one-night stand.
3. Don’t call same client a jerk for never texting you back.
4. Don’t believe client when he says he really, really wanted to call.
5. Remember, the client is always right—so you can’t junk punch him when he demands new design after new design.

• Falling for the Player by Jessica Lee <— LIVE!!! FOOTBALL STAR M/M ROMANCE ALERT!! “Bad boy and former NFL running back Patrick Guinness is tired of meaningless sex. Ever since his scorching hot one-night stand three years ago, no one has interested him. So when Max Segreti wanders into his mechanic shop—and his life again—Patrick can’t stop thinking about the totally-out-of-his-league law grad and the possibility of getting him out of his system once and for all…”
  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland <— LIVE!!! VI KEELAND/OFFICE ROMANCE ALERT! Okay yes, we knew it from yesterday, but I love this author and this book skyrocketed up the Amazon charts (it’s #3 in all of Amazon!!) is so I HAVE to put it back on the list in case anyone missed it. And well… because the cover. :P *snort* *blush*

Fabi: I’m starting Egomaniac this week. I’m super excited about it because…Vi Keeland :D

Teresa: Gonna be good !! Can’t wait to read this :)

Maryse: Heck yeah!!!! I love this author!

Lindsey: Yessssss!!!!!

• For 100 Nights: A 100 Series Novel by Lara Adrian <— LIVE!!! LARA ADRIAN ALERT!! This is a trilogy and has to be read in order, and the trilogy conclusion is coming out in the spring, so not too long of a wait.
  • Finding Kyle by Sawyer Bennett <— LIVE!!! SAWYER BENNETT ALERT!! RECLUSIVE NEIGHBOR… It’s back on the list too (from yesterday) ’cause this one went live later in the day/evening, so in case you missed it, sounds right up our alley! Kyle Sommerville is in hiding and doesn’t want to be found by anyone. Certainly not by his quirky, free-spirited neighbor who’s managed to push her way past the walls he’s built around him. But Jane Cresson’s indomitable will and insatiable curiosity about her reclusive neighbor makes it impossible for Kyle to stay immersed in his dark world…
  • Dawn of Eve (Trilogy of Eve Book 3) by Pam Godwin <— LIVE!!! PAM GODWIN POST APOCALYPTIC TRILOGY CONCLUSION ALERT!! I can’t read the blurb for it, so I don’t spoil it for myself, and anyway, I just read the blurb for book #1 and it sounds CRAZY. Okay so, here’s book #1 ➜ Dead of Eve (Trilogy of Eve Book 1) AND here is a snippet of THAT blurb, just to give you an idea:
A virus devastates humanity. Few men survive. The rest are monsters. The women are dead, except Evie.Through a quirk in her genetics, she survives…
  • Rough and Tumble (Rough and Tumble #2): a sexy bad boy romance by Chris Marie Green <— LIVE!!! LOVE ‘EM & LEAVE ‘EM TYPE… + CHRIS MARIE GREEN ALERT!! Hey I remember this author from back in our paranormal romance days!!! And she writes contemporary romance, too? “He’s a charismatic bad boy drifter…and she’s just wandered into a dusty, gritty bar where men like him love and leave good girls like her at the drop of a poker card.” BUT!! He’s got a secret. Ahhhh I love those!
  • Dominate Me by Stacey Lynn <— LIVE!!! HE BECOMES HER MASTER ALERT…The first time I felt Master Jensen’s presence beside me, I knew he would be the one to show me all the kinky pleasures of Luminous. That I would give my body to him. Begin my journey to sexual freedom at his feet.  But when I dared raise my eyes to his, I saw he would get a part of me no man had had before: my trust.
  • When I’m With You (Little Hollow Book 2) by Danielle Dickson <— LIVE!!! PEOPLE JUDGE HER & HAVE ABANDONED HER… EVEN HIM.The very people that were meant to love me unconditionally turned their backs on me when I needed them the most. With their lifestyle and the company they kept, I shouldn’t have expected anything less. But… I never expected him to turn his back on me. The one person who made me feel safe. The only one who ever really cared.“ I can’t quite tell, but I *think* this one reads as a standalone (I’ve checked both blurbs).
  • Finding the Light: (Edge Book 2) by H.M. Sholander <— LIVE!!! This sounds REALLY ANGSTY & tumultuous but I can’t tell if it’s a sequel or a standalone in the series. “Life can change in an instant. From a beautiful oblivion to utter destruction. I never saw it coming. I never believed this could happen. Reality brought us back down to the ground, ripping away a peace we never believed was possible…” P.S. Book #1 Escaping the Edge: (Edge Book1) <— sounds pretty darn great too. She’s an addict and grieving her best guy friend that she was in love with… “My name is Avery Bennett, and I am an addict. I’m in love with a ghost, but my heart is being stolen by someone I never saw coming.
  • Hiders (Canaan Island Book 3) by Meg Colette <— LIVE!!! OSTRACIZED FOR HER APPEARANCE ALERT!! And she becomes reclusive but still helps people… Yep. I’ve read and loved two other books along these lines a few years ago, so this one is calling to me. “Violet Relend is called the Ghost of Canaan Island because of her white hair and eerie eyes.  Though they mock her, Violet helps the citizens of Canaan with her family’s dwindling fortune. When she purchases a prosthetic for Arie Mendoza, a wounded soldier fresh from war, he insists on paying her back. Wanting only to be left alone, Violet gives Arie a list of twelve impossible tasks…” Doesn’t that sound nice? Like it could be absolutely absorbing? AND! It can be read as a standalone.
  • Keystone (Crossbreed Series Book 1) by Dannika Dark <— LIVE!!!! DANNIKA DARK ALERT!!! Robin found it for us saying:
Dannika Dark has a new book out that just went live. It’s called Keystone. It’s book 1 of her new series. This book stars Mr. Vampire, Christian Poe, from her Mageri series!!

PREORDERS (going live at midnight!!! This is going to be a BIG day, you guys!)

• Good Boy by Elle Kennedy & Sarina Bowen <— January 31st 2017 ➜ OMG!!! DID YOU GUYS SEE THIS ONE? ELLE KENNEDY & SARINA BOWEN ALERT!!!!! It’s going live this month, in fact. HOLY. MOLY. It sounds hilarious!!!!! She had a one night stand with a hockey star… and now she’s in a wedding with him. “Blake Riley sees the wedding as fate’s gift to him. Jess is the maid of honor and he’s the best man? Let the games begin.  So what if he’s facing a little (fine, a lot) of resistance? He just needs to convince the stubborn blonde that he’s really a good boy with a bad rap. Luckily, every professional hockey player knows that you’ve got to make an effort if you want to score…
➜ CHECK OUT ALL the upcoming BOOK RELEASES here (frequently updated and it goes all the way to 2017!)

Get Maryse’s Book Blog updates delivered by email (you’ll get one daily email that will have each post from that day consolidated on it).

Nay January 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Teeheehee!

Nay January 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM

It would be so awesome if Feversong, by some miracle, released early–too bad there’s a snowball’s chance in hades of that happening! Good morning, everyone!!

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Good morning Nay!!!!! :D !!!!!

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 10:27 AM

P.S. Are you teeheeing ’cause you’re first? ;) I’m liking this daily game!!

Nay January 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Yes, Maryse! I’m first, I’m first! I beat everyone!!!

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 11:37 AM

My Renee Carlino re-read kept me up too late last night. I’m third!

Nay January 16, 2017 at 11:38 AM

How did it go second time around, R??

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 11:41 AM

I’m still in the beginning 30% that I LOVED. I’m about a chapter away from where it started to go downhill for me. It just sucks because the part I love, I REALLY love, and the part I didn’t, I REALLY didn’t. How do you rate that? Hoping after this reading it will be clear which side is stronger.

bev January 16, 2017 at 12:11 PM

So it basically started strong but then fizzled not living up to its promise?

Grey January 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM

I’m in a reread myself! I’m rereading Bully! *squee* Tessa! where are you?!?! Tomorrow, Next to Never comes out! I am kind of bummed I didn’t get an ARC of this one, I would have probably cried LOL!

Anyway, gah, Jared and Tate… I love my jerk faced bullies and I know my favorite book is coming next! *tosses confetti in the air* I’m such a sucker…and the playlist thing just makes it for me!

bev January 16, 2017 at 12:17 PM

I used to love the Fever series and now not sure if I will go back and finish it.
I’d probably need to read spoilers first, lol.

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 12:28 PM

bev, exactly. It was charming and sooooo cute and then the pacing sped up to the point where it felt forced. I’m re-reading it because it is PNR and maybe if I look at it from that perspective it will make more sense.

Grey, I just bought Bully last month! I need to read it!

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 12:37 PM

I need to choose my next book… I have NO clue yet what I’m in the mood for.

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 12:47 PM

R. You haven’t read Bully? I’m so jealous. It’s one of my favorites of all time. So much pain and angst, then, that soliloquy… My heart!

Maryse, you want to read the next book of a series you started. :D

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Grey, I have Next to Never pre-ordered along with Feversong. I’m not sure which I’ll read first, but probably Feversong. The ending in the last one really gives me a lot of hope.

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Oh, and JM Darhower mafia book? Mine!

Hrm, I should slow on the purchases. I think I’m all set for the rest of January. Ironically, I’m reading a freebie. The Only Exception by Magan Vernon. First in a series, but it sounded to fun to resist.

bev January 16, 2017 at 12:56 PM

Maryse, you know how hard it is to be zen when people dot know what they are reading next??

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM

I found a signed copy at Bookworm and snagged it! Other than recs, unless something REALLY grabs me, I’m sticking to my TBR this year!

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 1:24 PM

Hopeless is on sale for .99 today. Not sure if anyone’s mentioned it yet.

Grey January 16, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Oh my God, R! You haven’t read Bully?!?! Although you aren’t a fan of books about HS aged characters… so you may not appreciate Tessa’s and my obsession with Bully; and remember, I actually love the follow up, Until You *MORE* than Bully, it’s crazy actually. But… this is uh, much more grown up than true YA, I have to say.

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 1:33 PM

IT IS HARD to be zen… I have all sorts of options, of course. But I don’t know what I’m in the mood for. It’s driving me crazy.

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 1:34 PM

WIR Tessa? :P

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM

It’s so funny. I hate YA, but the whole “going in blind” thing keeps me buying YA novels. I’m either going to have to start reading blurbs or get over my hangups lol.

bev January 16, 2017 at 1:40 PM

Ok. It’s a day off so putting the zen away.
Long shot just because. ..To tell the truth, Shame the Devil.
Otherwise.
Simon vs. THE HOMOSAPIENS AGENDA

Tessa ‘ s Murder of Crows.

If you’re not in a certain mood……we should do a vote.
Ooh. …It’d be fun.

Leslie M January 16, 2017 at 1:41 PM

I’m not a huge YA (or high school) age fan either and I really liked Bully. :)

(The stuff I didn’t like was Fallen Crest & Paper Princess)

bev January 16, 2017 at 1:41 PM

R, you didn’t hate Simon.

bev January 16, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Or you know that little book, The Last Hour of Gaan.

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Simon is a dude. That was the difference! And he wasn’t a moron.

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Bully is NA even though they are in high school.

There are a few. Until You, mile High by RK Lilley, or yep Murder of Crows. :P

bev January 16, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Well you haven’t met Taylor from Jellicoe Road.
Or.
Dumplin from Dumplin.
Or
The swoon of Isla and Josh from Isla and the Happily Ever After
Or
The friendship of Lydia, Dill, and Travis from The Serpent King.

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 2:12 PM

I did meet Dumplin! Cute, but not enough to suck me in with the sample.

Maryse are you going to read Lucian Divine?

Grey January 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM

OMG. Yes, let US pick your book Maryse!

bev January 16, 2017 at 2:35 PM

She could put a short list of books that she is interested in together then voting here and fb. It’d be fun…..or agonizing.

Leslie M January 16, 2017 at 3:04 PM

I like us voting for maryse’s read. Like Bev said, have Maryse give us a list to choose from.

This will be fun!!

Robyn January 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM

You guys wanna pick it huh?

Okay how about… you sort of pick it, and then I’ll decide if I wanna play. Tee hee!!!!!

Give me 3 options?

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 3:41 PM

R… probably not right away. It’s given you some issues, and I still have to write the Wolfsong review. I want something that I won’t be able to put down, next… I just don’t know what I’m in the mood for.

*sigh*

It was GOOD… you guys. Wolfsong. It was. I get it. It just didn’t hold me for some reason. Honestly? He’s such a beautiful writer, and yet in this one, it was almost too exuberant (his writing style… so unique, so HIM, but for this book, I wasn’t feeling “it” right.)

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 3:43 PM

I get it, Maryse. I was just curious. I’ll let you know what I think after my re-read is finished!

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Okay let me make a list of what I’m contemplating:

What I’m in the MOOD for is either a bully book (that doesn’t give in too easy – but not that crazy dark one that Tessa loved so much… those guys were TOO jerk-ish),

or a psych-thriller (of course – but something mind-blowing and jaw dropping),

or a college “funny-goofy” bad boy book (so like… the next How to Date a Douchebag, although it’s not out yet, or the next Elle Kennedy-Sarina Bowen book although it’s not out yet).

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Tessaaa I started Chance but…*whiny voice*…so many typos. ick

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 3:53 PM

What She Knew (psych-thriller) that sounds perfect for me!

Juniper Smoke: Part I & II <— I’m REALLY leaning on that one… it was just recommended to me by an author that likes the same stuff I do… that one is calling me.

She’s Come Undone <— this just sounds like an all-encompassing life/feels book that I’ve had for years and still haven’t read, but I’m in the mood for.

The Last Hour of Gann (absolutely of course!!! Actually am DYING to see what the fuss us about and it sounds like my thing. The only issue holding me back is I’d like to get a few reviews in this week. LOL!!! I’m not a speed-reader and this one would take me awhile…)

Cake <— rock star book that so many loved and they find this one so different in the whole “rock star” theme.

or an awesome recluse book, or someone with OCD, or … I’m open to suggestions, but I’m thinking that Juniper one…

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 3:54 PM

Ooooh Robyn, good find!!!! I’m adding it!

Nay January 16, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Juniper Smoke sounds great, but I’m going to have to put it on my ‘wait for re-edit’ shelf (unless Maryse reads it and just gushes over it). I checked the reviews and read part of the first chapter, and I just can’t do ‘robot-speak’–I need contractions!!

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 4:22 PM

OH NO!!!

That is one of my biggest pet peeves! I too, need contractions. One of the fastest ways I’ll stop reading a book no matter how good it looks.

Nay January 16, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Read the sample, Maryse. They’re not all missing, but there are enough missing to bug me, personally. It IS a big bang for the buck if you have KU–it’s either 650 or 740 pages, depending on if you look at the Kindle or pb description. It sounds really good!!

bev January 16, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Hmm. And most of these I have not heard of, lol.
Gann is long, for sure. Yet the story is always moving forward.
She’s Come Undone I read so many years ago. Oprah ‘ s book club right? I don’t remember loving it or disliking it.
I’ll admit I did not like How to Date a Douchebag so would not know what to rec that is like it.

Haven’t heard of the others. I will wait for your reviews, always nice to find new reads to add to the pile that will one day fall down on top of me.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM

We all neeeed contractions. Can’t live without them. hahaha

Maryse, what was your Kindle First pick for January? Mine is Fate of Perfection and I am really liking it. A bit of a thriller. Maybe techno/psych thriller.

They made her have a baby. It’s sort of a privilege. But no one gets to keep their babies past breast feeding anymore. But I don’t think they counted on the baby’s daddy being in the picture. rut roh…I think the fan is about to turn a murky brown color.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 4:29 PM

omg bev! Can you even imagine of our tbr was an actual pile of books?! We would be buried in books!

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 4:32 PM

Fabi that was the hottest thing you’ve ever said.

bev January 16, 2017 at 4:34 PM

We could put up memorials, “Here they lay. They didn’t know when to stop.”

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 4:38 PM

LOL!!!!

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 4:39 PM

I haven’t chosen one yet, Fabi!!! Ohhhh good!! I’m gonna look ‘em up right now.

P.S. I even contract one syllable words that require NO contraction. See what I did up there? “them” for me becomes ‘em.

LOL!!!!!!!

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 4:42 PM

P.S. Fabi that book sounds awesome but it’s not in the January Kindle First picks?

Hrmm… not for me anyway.

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Okay I selected The Night Bird from that list… women having psychotic breaks?? Yeah. Okay! I’m interested in reading that. :D

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 4:45 PM

then where the heck did I get that from? *scratches head*

maybe December pick? hrrrmmm

Oh yeah Maryse, that’s a good one for Janurary. There are like 3 I liked off that list.

bev January 16, 2017 at 4:45 PM

I just looked up Juniper Smoke, I thought it was going to be a scifi because of the cover.
I wonder if with that page count if it is a slow burn?

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 4:47 PM

ok, I got the thriller, The Winter Over by Matthew Iden, that way we can compare. ;-)

bev January 16, 2017 at 4:51 PM

Cake sounds sweet too.

Grey January 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM

Ok. So I refreshed my cell screen and it reopened on bev’s comment of “Here they lay. They didn’t know when to stop.” I had no other post to go off from… *blink, blink*

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 4:58 PM

YAY!!! You know for me it was between BOTH of those. But I’m always in for a psychological thrill ride. ;)

Grey January 16, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Maryse I’m going to read The Last Hour of Gaan in February for the challenge read…if you want to BR it with me then…

And a big heck yes for bully books, that’s my catnip too! *confetti in the air*

bev January 16, 2017 at 5:03 PM

Mind out of the gutter, Grey.

Grey January 16, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Sorry… LOL! Moving on!

Tasha J January 16, 2017 at 5:53 PM

Darn I missed the game! My vote was for Sophie Kinsella’s I’ve Got Your Number (funny, love the back n forth texts) or Pretty Girls (thriller) or Kids of Appetite (someone needs to read this book of awesome, the blurb doesn’t do it justice). P.S.- The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell is on sale for $1.99 from $12.99. I totally one-clicked, it looks good!

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 6:18 PM

Until You is a bully book from his POV. That said, it’s hard to find a good bully book that isn’t over the top. Bully was perfect about that. Angst without over the top.

Sorry Fabi. I think unless it’s glaringly wrong, I tend to ignore the typos. I’ve seen them so often, they are ignorable gorgeous the most part to me.

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 6:32 PM

LOL!!!!!!!

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 6:32 PM

It sounds good to me, Grey. I still need to make my challenge list, and then post all of what you guys came up with so others can join us!!

Grey January 16, 2017 at 6:44 PM

The Vixen and the Vet by Kate Regnery is free on Amazon right now. I haven’t read it, but I thought I remembered someone here saying it was pretty good…

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Thanks Grey! That was a popular title around here a year or so ago. I missed out on it. This year I have a challenge category that calls for a story based on a fairy-tale. This one may be exactly what I need to fit that in.

bev January 16, 2017 at 7:09 PM

It’s here. We got the review. ;)

bev January 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM

Just finished Bitter Legacy which I really enjoyed. Going to be hard to leave those characters.

Jan January 16, 2017 at 8:48 PM

Maryse you know we want you to read Gann, but you do have to have a bit of time to devote to it. So yeah OK, maybe this time you need to read something a bit less epic in size….. But you need to slot it in sometime this year. Let 2017 be the year of Gann!!

I’m pretty excited about a new Dannika Dark series. That one sneaked in under the radar. *click* Good Boy might be interesting too. I’ll wait till it comes out and see then.

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 9:01 PM

Thanks Grey for the heads up. I need to get more of her books, cause each one I’ve read, I’ve loved.

Finally got around to reading Nice Guys Bite by Jennifer Estep. It was exactly what I expect with action, but more emotion than I expected out of 80 pages. Love Silvio!

Now, I have to wait over three hours for my next book. *sighs* Can they just accidently publish it now?

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM

I honestly have to reread the Maher series. Read them. Loved them. Forgot what they were about. *sighs*

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 9:10 PM

Random question. Has anyone else noticed the influx of children’s books being read on GR? Is this how people make their reading challenge goals? I hate to brag, but I bet I can throw back some Dr. Seuss.

bev January 16, 2017 at 9:10 PM

What book Tessa?

bev January 16, 2017 at 9:13 PM

Ha. I would totally beat you if reading picture books. Just try to keep up.
But, no had not noticed. I’m just friends with you all. I live in a small pond.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 9:16 PM

bev, oh no no no you don’t. I need actual FEEDBACK on Bitter Legacy. I’ve read a couple of reviews that said the story broke them (the readers). So, I need to know
1. Is the focus on two MCs or more of a saga with multiple characters?
2. Is there any action or is it all emotional?
3. Most importantly, is it a Marmy book? IOW does it have a gut twisting or emotionally devastating reveal?

Come on now, do your job right. ;-)

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM

Mageri books. My stupid phone auto corrected.

bev January 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM

So it is totally noticeable on my feed when certain people start liking their friends.

Fabi and it is just a string of M/M. R and it’s a string of the Susan Laqueur.
Jean and a string of half dressed broken men hugging large quadropeds.

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 9:21 PM

I know someone who thought to use GR to track her kid’s books. She stopped after one book.

Maybe the same thing, or kids using GR?

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 9:22 PM

These are young kid’s books. Maybe it’s parents reviewing for other parents.

bev January 16, 2017 at 9:33 PM

Hmm. Goodness, I don’t want to spoil, so this is a tightrope.
Someone put on some Janelle Monae.
1. James (Jamie) is our first person pov. He is a doll. Loved his character.
The attention is mostly on the two MCs. There are a small group of side characters. This is a stand alone, but I would not mind at all if it was the first in a series.
2. It is a mystery/romance. I’d say the split is pretty 50/50. Jamie is a police officer in London and the book opens on him starting a new case.
3. This is hard one Fabi. I’m going to go with yes. But a Marmy I like. It is high contender for next year favorites for me.
I know those are hard on you but you also like Dark books…..so I’m not always sure where the emotional line is.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 9:38 PM

Thanks bev. I’m putting on my tbr. You’re always so chill when you suggest a book that it’s hard for me to tell what kind of book it is or how much you really liked it. Thanks so much! *muah* from a distance cause I know that whole touching thing…lol

Tasha J January 16, 2017 at 9:40 PM

I’m in a small pond too on GR so I haven’t noticed any children’s books either. But honestly, I thought about doing it a couple times! Lol. I have so little time to read MY books, and for a while there I was reading more children’s books than anything and I was even getting really into them too! Haha My daughter started really getting into the chapter books just last year and it’s an exciting new adventure of reading for us. Her favorite series is Junie B. Jones and we’ve been steadily exploring more and more over the last year. I figured since I didn’t technically reach my goal last year, if I added in all those, it totally counts! ;) Though J wouldn’t have added Pat the Bunny or anything… Lol

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 9:45 PM

This is the first year I’ve done the challenge and it’s funny how I look at books now. I’m hesitant to DNF, and novellas are suddenly really appealing. I was going to pick The Shining for the “book to try to finish” month, but now I think I’ll go with The Debt since I DNF’d it at 60% LOL. Priorities…

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 9:55 PM

I cheat and pick a number I know I’ll do so I don’t stress. I know, 250 is a lot, but if I stress and push, I can probably do 350. However I won’t enjoy them at all.

Tasha, Junie B Jones should totally count towards your booklist. You read it, right? :D I can’t do that because little dude reads his own books. So yep. Any children books on my shelf I read for pure enjoyment.

bev January 16, 2017 at 9:56 PM

Lol.
Just don’t hate me if it falls on the wrong side of your emotional line. If you read it we will have to talk about it more, I just don’t want to spoil anything.

Grey January 16, 2017 at 10:13 PM

I picked 151 books this year because goodreads was passive aggressively telling me I needed to set a higher goal for myself… Always try to do better… Blah blah blah. So I increased my goal, by 1. Take *that* goodreads! Hmph.

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 10:15 PM

OMG Fabi!!!

I think the exact same thing about bev when she has a recommendation. She always just throws it out there and says she remembered enjoying that one. The only time I know she REALLY loved it is when she integrates the book (or character *ahem Sherlock and Simon*) into every conversation she can.

But yeah… her initial recommendations for a book are exactly like you described. “Chill”. LOL!!!!!! :P

Maryse January 16, 2017 at 10:15 PM

And then I’m all… hrmmm… is it REALLY good, or just good? Was it excellent but bev is being her “chill self”?

Jan January 16, 2017 at 10:19 PM

Hmm. I hadn’t noticed people putting kids books on their GR reads either. A bit lame if it’s just to boost their numbers of books they’ve read. Kinds of defeats the purpose of a ‘challenge’, doesn’t it?

I know everyone’s getting excited about the new fever series book, but I have to fess up. I haven’t even read Iced yet even though I bought it over a year ago LOL. Maybe I should make it one of my tbr challenge books. I just kinda lost interest in the fever series after the first few fab books. It kind of started feeling like it was ‘by the numbers’ and I got bored. Maybe the new one will be back to Ms Moning’s old form. I can only hope. But I’m gonna wait till there’s a decent amount of reviews before I make up my mind to buy it or not.

Tasha J January 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Yea I went much more practical this year and factored in about 2 books a month plus a few extra. And Junie B. should totally count Tessa! She’s hilarious. My kiddo is reading much more on her own this year and as awesome as it is, sometimes I feel left out so if she’s reading something that looks really good, I’ll join in too. Who says we can’t be kids again?! I feel it’ll keep me forever young. Lol My Gma watched cartoons till she passed, I probably will too.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 10:25 PM

Hahaha Maryse. Exactly! The only time I even realize she’s excited about a book is when she’s pushing it like my little brother used to do until he got his way with something. Then I’m all annoyed cause he was such a brat.

But!!! I got her to start at least rating titles on GR and NOW I got an honest to goodness feedback (still chill) but that’s ok. I’m so proud of her this year!!!

*Slyly winks at Bev*

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 10:27 PM

I don’t think GR is only for adult books. Why not rate and review children’s books. Other parents may be searching for the next great read for their little ones.

Jan January 16, 2017 at 10:30 PM

Yep that’s fine Fabi if that’s why people are putting kids books on there. Great way to share, just as we use it for our adult reads.

bev January 16, 2017 at 10:32 PM

Yes, I’m rating. All my 3 star books. Lol.

Sometimes it’s just a good read, you know?
Other times I’m not sure of my own taste.
And could you imagine if I did like I did with WiR with all books I like?
Even I know that would be too much.
And yes I am the youngest child, lol.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 10:38 PM

awww that’s sweet that you’re the baby.

I did notice your 3 star ratings. But you know what? A book is going to come along and blow your socks off. Then you won’t be able to resist those five stars.

I’m waiting for it.

I’ve only read 3 of your recs (although, honestly I don’t think you’ve really rec’d more than 4 other than in passing.) I the C.S. Patt trilogy, Undecided, and the WiR series. They have all been above and beyond good and into greatness.

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 10:44 PM

Exactly Fabi! You never know if someone might recommend the next Give a Mouse a Cookie or Polar Express. These books are going to be ingrained in the kids psyche into adulthood. You want the best.

Little dude mostly reads the Magic school’s or Magic Treehouse. He still reads out loud, and someone has to sit with him and catch the new words and mispronounced words. I’ll get into the story, and then he’ll be on chapter 6 or something and suddenly want to read with someone else. I figured d myself thinking NOOOO! How will I find out if the potion worked or not? NOOOO!

Tessa January 16, 2017 at 10:58 PM

*high fives Bev* Same here. Youngest of 12.

I am too nice on mine. I wish I could go back and make a lot of 4 stars into 3. That’s average and looking back, more should have been 3.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 11:00 PM

Me too Tessa. I’ve always read my kids books. And not because I was previewing them. Just because I wanted to know the story too. Plus, kids talk so much about their favorite stories that I would have felt out of the loop if I didn’t keep up. hahaha

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 11:01 PM

Youngest of 12?! :-o

Tasha J January 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM

I don’t know. I read and enjoy children’s books as I’m sure others do too so if they’re putting them out there to share with other parents, that’s great! And if they’re adding them because they read them and it’s counted towards their reading challenge, why shouldn’t it count too? Who’s to say which books count and which don’t? It’s everyone’s personal goal to read however many they set for the year and if children’s books are also what they’ve read, why not count it? A book is a book and every book we read expands our knowledge in some way whether it’s read for our own benefit or the benefit of the child, it likely still affected us in some way. Sharing what we’ve read for any age group is an added bonus if others can also benefit in seeing something they think they’d like to read too. Or something their children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews would enjoy. I don’t care if it boosts their numbers or not, good for them. I mean obviously GR is for adults to put whatever books they’ve read or want to read out there but isn’t strictly for the books in whatever age group they’re in. Like I’m way out of the range for YA but I put them in too, they totally count! Anyway that’s my take on it, it’s super late and I’m tired, sorry for the rambling!! ;)

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM

I think over the past year, I’ve gone easier on my ratings. I match GR as far as their descriptions are concerned, 2 is “just OK” and 3 “I liked,” but when I get to 4, I feel like I need to be specific because I have levels of like/love at that point:

4 I “really liked”
4.5 I “really, REALLY liked”
5 I “loved”
5.5 I “really, REALLY loved”
6 I consider my top ten of all time

Now when I read a book I just look at the others in a category and decide which group it fits with best.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 11:05 PM

I’m easy on my ratings. If I enjoyed the story and didn’t have to deal with any problems with the writing or editing, then it’s a five star. My ratings only drop for plot holes, pacing problems or editing. *whispers* “or cliffhangers”. Because, sheesh, it’s a major plot hole if the writer didn’t include an ending to the story. *snort*

bev January 16, 2017 at 11:06 PM

12?? Whoa. Was that fun?
I wonder what everyone’s birth order is?

I think I’m going to go back and change the star part to 4 on Bitter Legacy. I still say 3.5/4 but seems weird to only see 3 stars, lol.

bev January 16, 2017 at 11:09 PM

Wait. GR has 6 stars?

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 11:09 PM

Only in my world, bev.

bev January 16, 2017 at 11:22 PM

I see, lol.

I guess I start at 3 and then it is up or down from there.
I think 5 stars will be fairly rare.
Sometimes I think letter grades would be easier.

R. Renee January 16, 2017 at 11:25 PM

bev, that’s what I was doing, but then I noticed GR had actual descriptions for their stars and I changed it. I’m kind of regretting that now, because 2 stars sounds like you really don’t like a book and that’s not the case for me. There is a huge difference between a book being OK and not liking it.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 11:35 PM

I think most people 2 star a book when they really don’t care for it much. But it’s not horrible enough to be a 1 star. 1s are very rare. 3s are it was good, yeah I liked it ok. That’s just what comes across in GR based in the review + rating of the ones I read.

Also, outside the romance genre, ratings tend to be more strict. A 4 is a really good book in Horror, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Thriller, etc.

Fabi January 16, 2017 at 11:38 PM

Oh god, my writing really deteriorates when I get this tired. Sorry guys. I was up half the night reading a book. I’m sure you can relate. And I live that you can because no one else I know does. But I have to call it a night because my eyes hurt at this point.

Happy reading!

Tessa January 17, 2017 at 12:23 AM

Goodnight Fabi! *waves*

Yep 12. My mom had three, my dad had eight, and they both had me.

GR needs 6 stars. Then I’d differentiate between great 5 stars and favorites of the year 5 stars.

Tessa January 17, 2017 at 12:26 AM

*stares at the clock* I want my books.

Jan January 17, 2017 at 1:17 AM

My hubby is the eldest of 12, and I have 4 siblings too. It’s fab being part of such a big wonderful family. 100+ at family do’s like Christmas etc, what with all the nephews and nieces etc. Babies poppin’ out everywhere. We usually hire a hall LOL. I love it. Isn’t it great, Tessa?

I’m one of those stingy star-givers. I stick to the GR descriptions closely, although sometimes when I give only 2 (for OK) or 3 stars (for ‘liked’) I feel really, really mean. It annoys me that amazon stars have different descriptors, so quite often I have to give different stars for amazon vs. GR reviews of the same book. Frutstrating and a bit confusing. I hardly ever give 5 stars – just not that many books hit that perfect spot for me. They’re like gold when I find them.

Jen C January 17, 2017 at 2:20 AM

Oooh Full Tilt by Emma Scott is only 99cents atm. Added it to my Amazon wishlist after seeing it on SO MANY of y’alls top 2016 lists. Think that’ll be my next read!

Nay January 17, 2017 at 7:18 AM

Good morning! I’m so excited–reading Feversong!! Figures that I have to go to the doctor today (just a surgery follow-up), on the one day I’d like to be just sitting at home and reading!

Reyna Mass January 17, 2017 at 7:46 AM

I just read on Amazon that Escaping the Edge is the first book to be read before Finding the Light. Both books sound really good!

Leslie M January 17, 2017 at 8:31 AM

Tasha, Junie B Jones??? *sniffles* Reminds me of reading with my son (who is now 16). You have to try Magic Tree House series next. Those were my favorite kid chapter books (my son also loved Bailey School Kids & Babysitter Club and still reads Diary of Wimpy kid).

Leslie M January 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM

R, yes I have noticed how adults on GR put children’s books on “read” list and yes I do think “some” of them do it to boost reading total. I do think most are legitimate. What makes me CRAZY though is GR does not “count” a re-read book towards total for the year so I NEVER participate in that challenge. I just make my own “read in 2017″ shelf to keep track.

Leslie M January 17, 2017 at 8:50 AM

Ok, I have a slight rant. What is up with GR (which is owned by Amazon right?) and Amazon having different book ratings?!? I’m all for people’s own interpretations of stars but it gets confusing huh? To me it seems logical with a five star rating that 1 is worst, 5 is best, 3 is middle ground/average. So 2 would be below average and 4 above average. So when I rate something 3 stars, I’m saying it was “average/ok” but not everyone sees it that way. So weird….

Leslie M January 17, 2017 at 8:52 AM

BTW, I am an only child. I totally act like one too. I’m spoiled and don’t like to share. ;)

My son is only child top. No more kiddos for us. My hubs got snipped years ago and I’m way too old.

Melanie January 17, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Even if I never read Egomaniac! That cover!!

MichelleS January 17, 2017 at 9:09 AM

To make Maryse not feel guilty we should all name a book we didn’t “feel” that everyone else seems to love: I tried The Man I Love twice and put it down twice. There, I said it. I feel less guilty now.

Fabi January 17, 2017 at 9:27 AM

lol MichelleS. Freeing isn’t it? My list is much too long. That many peanuts will hurt. :-/

Fabi January 17, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Melanie, I’m starting Egomaniac today. :-)

Fabi January 17, 2017 at 9:31 AM

Leslie, I don’t even worry about Amazon vs GR star descriptions. There are five stars available so it’s only logical that 3 is middle of the road, average.

Leslie M January 17, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Fabi, I’m with you on the pelting of too many peanuts. Every year the ones I thought were “meh”, show up on lots of the faves lists!!!

I totally get sucked in by hot covers…whole reason I was attracted to Egomaniac (which I will start soon too). I admit I am embarrassed by the covers outside the world of fellow romance readers though.

bev January 17, 2017 at 9:41 AM

How to Date a Douchebag was on a couple lists and one of my least favorite books of the year.
Also, F*ck Love. My first Fisher and I just don’t see it.
*shrug *

Fabi January 17, 2017 at 10:00 AM

ok ok, I’ll submit to the lynch mob with one of mine

get your ropes ready

*teeny voice* I’m not a fan of KA books.

Tessa January 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Deeper, The Man I Love, and Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey. Deeper was too tell without show. The sad part of The Man I Love just had me rolling my eyes. Kushiel’s Dart is so popular, but it was Sooooon slow. There, I feel better. :D

Finally got Feversong last night, and I was too tired to read! *cries*

Tessa January 17, 2017 at 10:19 AM

Jan, I love it, though most of my siblings are old enough to be my parent. In fact, my nephew is only 5 months younger than me. As a result I only grew up with a three of them, then two after I turned 6.

bev January 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Deeper.

Tessa, you cut me.

Lol.

R. Renee January 17, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Mine is Thoughtless. *ducks from Leslie’s peanuts*

The good news is, I’ve decided to try KA so it’s likely Thoughtless won’t be alone for long :D

Grey January 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM

I tried The Man I Love and DNF…but I’m going to try it again for our challenge month. Wanna know a worse one??? Eek. I read Too Late and only gave it 2 stars. *hides*

I am the youngest of 5, and the only girl.

Tasha J January 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Ok this one I think was a way long time ago but many, I think, went crazy for it. Whenever I think of a book I just could not understand the hype, this is the one. King’s (The King Trilogy book 1) by Mimi Jean Pamfiloff.

Fabi January 17, 2017 at 11:44 AM

oh! King’s. Creepy, scary, darkish…me likey

Actually R. You’re probably going to love KA. Remember, we’re opposites. lol

Fabi January 17, 2017 at 11:44 AM

hmmm Tessa, Deeper was a dnf for me but I liked TMIL and Kushie’ls Dart

R. Renee January 17, 2017 at 11:55 AM

LOL Fabi. Except when it comes to our canine love child.

Fabi January 17, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Right…those one-night stands…

MichelleS January 17, 2017 at 1:00 PM

I’m a middle child.
I used to love KA, but not feeling her lately.

MichelleS January 17, 2017 at 1:03 PM

I think I OD’d onKA. Read her back to back. That’s why I’m now looking for a different “feel”. Too much of a good thing, and all that.

MichelleS January 17, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Who was it that didn’t read Iced? I avoided it for years, and when I did read it I loved it. Now the one after that…. it shall not be named..,,

Leslie M January 17, 2017 at 1:05 PM

R., JUST HOLD ON A MINUTE HERE!!!

You didn’t “hate” Thoughtless, right??? (please say yes, I really don’t want to have to break up with you). You just didn’t “love” it, right?? *crosses fingers nervously *

Leslie M January 17, 2017 at 1:10 PM

Thanks Fabi for the reassurance re: star ratings. It stresses me out because I seem to have a lot of 3 star reads and I’ll get comments where people think I hated it. Or the opposite where they think my 4 stars wasnt very good.

R. Renee January 17, 2017 at 1:22 PM

LOL! I liked Thoughtless! But I think it’s one of those books that if you didn’t love it, you may as well have disliked it :D

Fabi January 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM

It’s all good Leslie. I know that with yours and Jan’s ratings I have to mentally add a star to the book for myself. LOL!

Maryse January 17, 2017 at 1:43 PM

LOL I love this! Thanks guys… :P

Nay January 17, 2017 at 3:31 PM

One that I didn’t love–How to Kill a Rock Star. Didn’t hate it, but in no way loved it as you can tell by the shelf I used for it on GR: ‘impression-meh’.

Oh, and there’s one more I didn’t loooove…I’m really afraid to mention it…**ducking down in the corner and making myself teeny tiny**………………………
*whispering*…………………Beautiful Disaster. There! I said it!

I know, I know. Please don’t revoke my Maryse blog card!

On a positive note, I will say that it has my favorite all-time cover of any book ever (the first one with the tattooed tongue that I can’t understand for the life of me why they replaced it????) And I really didn’t hate it, just didn’t love like everyone else.

R. Renee January 17, 2017 at 3:48 PM

Nay… *hesitantly raises hand on that one too*

R. Renee January 17, 2017 at 3:55 PM

Also now that I think about it, other books on my “I just don’t get it shelf”:

The Opportunist
Too Late
Deeper (and I really didn’t like the follow-up)
Push and Pull (WTF??)

Nay January 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Which ‘Deeper’ are y’all talking about??

Nay January 17, 2017 at 3:58 PM

Oh, and I feel better that I’m not alone, R!

But it would make sense for you because of the type of hero you *don’t* like. I LOVE brooding, asshole, alpha males, so I didn’t get it! I think I had brooding, asshole, alpha male overload when I read it.

Nay January 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Ohh—Robin York Deeper!

It’s on my tbr.

R. Renee January 17, 2017 at 4:01 PM

It’s weird. I seem to remember the h bugging me more than Travis! It’s been a while though.

The Deeper I’m talking about is Robin York. It’s a shame because she has such a killer name ;)

Nay January 17, 2017 at 4:03 PM

I didn’t figure it was the Megan Hart one, which is one of my all-time fave books, btw, although many people did NOT like it. It was SO angsty and heart-wrenching!

Tessa January 17, 2017 at 4:08 PM

By Robin York.

I didn’t like How to Kill a Rockstar.

Nay January 17, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Tessa–are you reading Feversong??

bev January 17, 2017 at 4:44 PM

*steps on and kicks the book that shall not be named*
Blech.
Why why why with?
*kicks it again*
Iced was great. Dani was awesome……Then that.

The Opportunist trilogy I have and am seriously considering just deleting it. I don’t know that I want to read it or thst I will like it.

Norma January 17, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Have you read Behind Closed Doors? I really liked it!

Leslie M January 17, 2017 at 5:27 PM

I dnf-ed How to Kill a Rockstar

Beautiful Disaster was a funny one for me. I disliked it first time I read it. I felt like characters were too immature or something. Then I read it again, and really liked it.

I wasnt thrilled with book 1 of Opportunist but loved rest of series. What a drama filled angst fest!

Hopefully I like Deeper as its on my TBR. :(

Push/Pull was a definite mind f*ck, but I liked it despite not being my usual type of read.

Nay January 17, 2017 at 6:51 PM

Don’t know of Push/Pull…going to GR…

LOVED The Opportunist series! Major angst and mindf$#kery!!

R. Renee January 17, 2017 at 6:58 PM

I can’t get into my issues with Push/Pull on here because it would be too spoilery. But I had *issues*