Breaking Book News Update!!!

by Maryse on July 3, 2017 · 72 comments

Breaking news update is in order!!! We’ve had two THREE new book releases over the last 24 hours by three of our absolute favorites. *squeeee* and I just can’t wait until tomorrow to post them, ’cause we can start ‘em today!

After All by Karina Halle <— SURPRISE!!! IT’S LIVE!!!!!! Karina Halle’s latest is LIVE!! He’s a famous actor trying to fix his image and she’s a “normal girl”…

“…When Emmett and Alyssa’s paths cross at a mutual friend’s wedding, their chemistry is off-the-charts hot, culminating in a steamy one-night stand.

What neither expected was for the media catch wind of their coupling – and run with it.

Now Emmett has to convince Alyssa to date him for the sake of his image. Her curvy, cute and “normal” persona is just the ticket to smoothing out his reputation…”

and… (in case you missed this one when it went live yesterday):

Undeserving (Undeniable Book 5) by Madeline Sheehan <— Madeline Sheehan. No explanation needed.

Tiffany: Yay!!!! So excited!!!!

Rebecca: WHAT! Omg. I didn’t know this was coming today- dropping everything and rearranging schedule. *one click immediately* Thank you, Maryse!!

Jennifer: Just click it..yesss all i need is Z’s book next…what can i say im greedy

Maryse: Tee hee!!! :P

AND AND!!!

ANOTHER ONE JUST WENT LIVE!! RACHEL VAN DYKEN ALERT!! Steal (Seaside Pictures) <— And it’s super-bargain priced today only. “Steal, the follow-up standalone rockstar romance to the #1 NYT Bestseller Keep” They HATE each other!!! I LOVE this blurb (especially that last line):
“Seaside, Oregon isn’t big enough for the both of us.
She hates me.
I loathe her.
The plan was simple — stay the hell away and make sure she gets to set on time.
What I didn’t expect was to be faced with our past in front of an audience — and be forced to face it again…”

And… my latest book review is up (that one that everyone was saying had that Kristen Ashley “feel”. Yep!!!) ➔ Book Review – The Coppersmith Farmhouse by Devney Perry.

Okay… let’s read!! :D

Nay July 3, 2017 at 7:03 AM

Good morning! Looks like I picked a great day to get back into the swing of things again!! I can’t believe Undeserving is FINALLY out!!!

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 7:37 AM

LOL Nay!!! I was getting that reaction a lot yesterday… ;)

Cheryl July 3, 2017 at 7:57 AM

Good morning. Great timing with After All!! I was just looking thru my tbr for an actor story. Thanks Maryse!!!

Now to read… :)

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 8:07 AM

My pleasure Cheryl. I’m in the mood for that too, and I’m needing to start a new book. ;)

Nay July 3, 2017 at 8:09 AM

Oh yeah! After All was one I’ve been looking forward to as well! I totally overlooked that when I saw Undeserving! lol

Grey July 3, 2017 at 9:04 AM

I’m reading my Pick-for-me and loving it so far!! Thanks, Lisa! (And Jean, because this is her 5 star favorite… I should have known I would love it, Jean is my book twin, after all!)

Thanks, Maryse!

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 9:11 AM

Which one is it Grey?

bev July 3, 2017 at 10:23 AM

One day I will have a book twin.

Unless it means I have to share my books.

That would be a Shame.

Tessa July 3, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Lovers Lament. We should copy over everyone’s pick to here.

Amy picked Trailer Trash by Marie Sexton for Fabi;

Anna picked Enslaved (The Life of Anna, #1) by Marissa Honeycutt for Amy;

bev picked Sawbones (Sawbones #1) by Melissa Lenhardt for Jan;

Ela picked Jezebel (Jezebel, #1) by K. Larsen for Paula;

Fabi picked Love, in English (Love, in English, #1) by Karina Halle for Leslie;

Grey picked Playing with Monsters (Playing with Monsters, #1) by Amelia Hutchins for Ela;

Jan picked Arabella by Georgette Heyer for Anna;

Jean picked Fake Fiancée by Ilsa Madden-Mills for Michelle;

Leslie picked Accidentally on Purpose (Accidentally on Purpose, #1) by L.D. Davis for Jean;

Lisa picked A Lover’s Lament by K.L. Grayson for Grey;

Michelle picked The Infamous Ellen James (Infamous, #1) by N.A. Alcorn for Tessa;

Niki picked The Opportunist (Love Me with Lies, #1) by Tarryn Fisher for Lisa;

Paula picked Fallen Crest Public (Fallen Crest High, #3) by Tijan for Niki;

Renee picked A Life Less Beautiful by Elle Brooks for Robin;

Robin picked Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid for Renee;

Tessa picked The Lotus Palace (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #1) by Jeannie Lin for bev

Tessa July 3, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Alright, now that I posted that, I definitely did NOT read Fire Study by Maria V Snyder before. The other books were just so good, I could go back into it four? years later and not feel like I was missing a thing. The inner politics of it right now are doing exactly what I expected/ hoped. TOTAL TUMMY TWISTS. I honestly needed that.

bev July 3, 2017 at 10:36 AM

bev picks To Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil for Maryse

Amy picks The Last Hour of Gann for Maryse

Me: what??? Amy, I picked already.

Amy: She is MY twin bev. Twin always wins.

MichelleS July 3, 2017 at 11:01 AM

I wish I was more excited about Undeserving, but, honestly, while I remember Preacher’s name, I remember little else. Don’t take so long between books!!! I don’t have time for rereads. Does it have a big synopsis of where we left off? Ugh!

MichelleS July 3, 2017 at 11:25 AM

It was Maryse’s fault we all read Gann. Her friend loved it, she posted it, we read it. My vote is for Gann since she started it!

bev July 3, 2017 at 11:57 AM

Sure throw your lot in with Andy. He was I’m always your favorite.

Grey July 3, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Sorry, Maryse, I should have thought to do that… Thanks, Tessa! I got sucked into reading…lol! Then I got pulled away for the stupid kitchen floor. Hubby is doing most of it himself, but there are times that he needs my help. Then the children say they need to be fed…. geez, can’t they see that I’m busy reading here?!? *giggle*

As one who struggled to get thru Gann… (Maryse and Amy left me stranded during our buddy read…. I’m just gonna say no to that one for her, she’ll never get through it, haha!)

Nay July 3, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Michelle–same here! I thought I’d jump on it this morning, but nope, haven’t read a page yet! I DO remember a lot of stuff about Preacher though, so hopefully, I won’t feel too lost.

bev July 3, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Oooh. Grey just dissed Maryse’s reading stamina.
Oooh.

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 12:07 PM

*snort*!!!!!

I wonder if I one-clicked Shame the Devil yet? I know I have The Last Hour of Gann…

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 12:08 PM

I’m going to check and see if it can be read as a standalone, MichelleS.

Tessa July 3, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Andy?

Grey July 3, 2017 at 12:10 PM

No, I didn’t diss her stamina… I simply commented on their propensity to be distracted by the new and pretty shinies… *giggle*

bev July 3, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Andy Is Amy.
Or
Is Amy Andy?

Leslie M July 3, 2017 at 1:16 PM

That new Karina Halle is calling my name! :)

My tbr is major out of control. Its bigger than ever. No matter how many challenges I do, I simply add new ones way faster than I read. *makes womp womp trumpet noise *

Nay July 3, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Let’s face it–the challenges only make it worse! Because we see what everyone else is reading and put those books on our own TBR. But that’s probably one of the reasons I join challenges too!

Okay, I’m getting ready to jump in to Undeserving. Let’s hope that I can remember enough of it to know what’s going on!

bev July 3, 2017 at 3:13 PM

What is everyone planning on reading over the next couple days? If you have a plan?
If I don’t squirrel I want to finish up Sofia Khan is Not Obliged, feel like I’m reading again….maybe, and one I randomly pulled from my tbr Imperfect Chemistry.

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 3:35 PM

I’ve decided on a “horror” post apocalyptic… The Fireman by Joe Hill (Stephen King’s son). So far, so good…

Tessa July 3, 2017 at 4:14 PM

Still on Fire Study. Past that, well, this hopefully killed my blah mood so either The Infamous Ellen James or erm, well, if I don’t want a comedy, something else? :P The next PNR has to be Deadmen Walking by Sherrilyn Kenyon. It’s due at the library next Sat.

bev July 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM

I’ve seen lots of good things about Joe Hill. Horror is hard for me.

Ellen James sounds…..interesting. lol. Based on Ela’s quotes ….

Tessa July 3, 2017 at 4:32 PM

A bit of humor is always appreciated. I like having those in my TBR because sometimes they are what’s needed to cleanse the pallet and go to the next book. Also they make me smile like this :D

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 4:53 PM

bev it’s not really scary so far… more like an epidemic breakout that destroyed the world…

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 4:54 PM

That’s a great smile, Tessa!

I love smiling. Smiling’s my favorite!!

Jaw-dropping is my favorite, too. :P

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 6:34 PM

LOL Grey DID diss my stamina!!!! I just read back through the comments. LOL!!!!!!! I might surprise y’all. ;) Or maybe you have me pegged. :P I’m a plot twist in my own right.

*giggles wickedly*

bev July 3, 2017 at 7:31 PM

We can sing folk songs?

You are a plot twist.

Tessa July 3, 2017 at 8:23 PM

Magic?

In Vegas, they have a castle, a pyramid, the Statue of Liberty, Pirates trying to attack, magic dancing water, and a huge carnival celebration that offers food from around the world!

How’s that?

bev July 3, 2017 at 8:37 PM

I do have to say I’d probably not rec a horror and Gann back to back. Unless you like it dark like that.
It is epic in length but you could send daily missives like The astronaut.

bev July 3, 2017 at 8:39 PM

Now you all have me curious.
If you could choose:

Ireland

Vegas

Nay July 3, 2017 at 8:51 PM

bev–and don’t forget that you can be married by Elvis!

Ireland–hands down. I mentioned this on GR–my dream places are Australia, Ireland and Scotland. We would move to Australia in a heartbeat if we could afford it!

Jan July 3, 2017 at 8:54 PM

It’s a hard choice cos Vegas is um, Vegas. right? But Ireland is such a drawcard. And I’m sure lots of us on here have got at least a teensy bit of Irish blood in us. Those Irish sure spread out into England, Australia, US, Canada etc etc. Don’t think I’ve got any Vegan blood though. Wait, that doesn’t sound right LOL. Vegasian? That doesn’t sound right either. Ykwim.

Jan July 3, 2017 at 8:55 PM

Nay, Australia is a great place to live :D

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 9:05 PM

With my red hair, freckles and fair complexion, we KNOW I’m part-Irish. ;)

bev July 3, 2017 at 9:06 PM

I’m Ireland. Definitely Scotland and Australia too. And ecetra, lol.

Vegas doesn’t appeal too much. Not like New Orleans, Savannah, New York, DC and so on.

I do laugh at a group of us traveling the world in Vegas. We would need a gnome. Or Manny.

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 9:06 PM

No Nay. Nope. Spiders are too insane there. ;) I’ve never even heard of Irish spiders.

Maryse July 3, 2017 at 9:07 PM

bev… :D

Tessa July 3, 2017 at 9:13 PM

Ireland, lol. I’ve been to Vegas, but Ireland. It’s a great unexplored unknown. There’s so much I want to see and do there. Vegas is fun for a few days, then leave. Ireland is a whole country of history. I’ll be the lost one, of course, probably lost in a fairy ring. :D

Tessa July 3, 2017 at 9:18 PM

Oh, Maryse, you meant Jan, right? I admit, that’s my biggest fear about Australia. The spiders. *shudders* From what I’ve heard and seen, the place is beautiful, the people are nice, and the wildlife is terrific… and those spiders.

bev July 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM

Yeah, Jan.
The spiders are freaky.

Melinda July 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM

Come visit me in Australia but I’m in the USA at the moment. I have a big house. I love visitors. Melbourne Australia. We can all read together or walk hahaha after my 16 miles in the USA the other day. Hahaha

Melinda July 3, 2017 at 9:36 PM

Tessa, you don’t have to worry about spiders. That’s the least of your problems. In the winter around April till August there are no bugs at all. But no one worries about spiders summer or Winter.

bev July 3, 2017 at 9:38 PM

Melinda lol.

How many of us are there anyway? Just all showing up in Melbourne.

Cheryl July 3, 2017 at 9:42 PM

Ireland. Been to Vegas, but have not been to Ireland. Been to Australia and can’t say I came across any big spiders.

Going to start After All now…

Jan July 3, 2017 at 11:35 PM

Yeah OK so we have some poisonous snakes and spiders. But honestly, you just use your commonsense to avoid places where they might be hanging out. It’s not something I think about very often. You know they’re out there but honestly it’s not a big deal. I bet if you came on holiday to Australia you wouldn’t see a single one. It’s not like they’re everywhere. I’ve seen a few redback spiders in my life but I’ve probably only ever seen 2 or 3 actual snakes in the wild in my whole life.

Jan July 3, 2017 at 11:37 PM

* sprinkles special fairy dust to rescue Tessa from fairy ring*

Julie o July 4, 2017 at 1:28 AM

I’m ready to go to Vegas again, quit talking about it.

Just finished RIDE OR DIE #1 by Clare Riley. Which is kind of weird since the new Sheehan book just came out and they write together sometimes. But apparently not about MC themes bc Sheehan I find are so much better. It was a good book and will probably read the next depending on who the character is. Obviously I didn’t buy it bc of the cover bc I can’t stand beards like that. Everybody had their thing.

Enjoy your holiday everyone and if you are from the States be thankful for all our freedoms.
And as an “old” feminist we can never give up the fight especially now.

Maryse July 4, 2017 at 6:43 AM

Yeah, spiders are not so bad, you say? Okay *phew*. People keep posting those insane photos on Facebook. Australia DOES have all of my favorite lizards in the world, though. Bearded Dragons, Blue tongue skinks (pink tongue too)? And I think Frilled Dragons, am I right? Oh THAT would be heaven for me. <3 *sigh* Okay maybe Australia, then. :D

Leslie M July 4, 2017 at 7:43 AM

Maryse has favorite lizards??? *giggles*

Ok, I am so afraid to jinx myself because every time I say I like a book as I am in middle, it then goes to crap. Does this happen to anyone?

I am literally squirming with excitement to gush but can’t. Grrrrrr

Nay July 4, 2017 at 8:42 AM

Oooh, Leslie! I’ll gush for you! I lurved that book!! And where is it set? Ireland!

Grey July 4, 2017 at 9:02 AM

I’d like to go EVERYWHERE!!! Can one of us just win the lottery already? And then spirit the rest of us off on this massive vacation… I mean, if I won, I’d take all of you! I don’t have my passport, so that may be a problem, LOL!

I haven’t really been many places, Toronto in Canada, Niagara Falls, Washington DC and Orlando… those are the biggies… other than that… nada.

R. Renee July 4, 2017 at 9:05 AM

I’m not a big Vegas fan because instead of gambling and drinking free drinks I want to go to $$$ shows and eat $$$ food. Might as well go to Europe at that point! But if you guys go, I’m in!

I’ve heard Ireland is one of the cheapest European destinations to fly into. I wonder if that still hold true.

bev July 4, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Wait. Didn’t Maryse own a big spider? Pink? I remember her telling us that.

It’s a sign Leslie. :)

Tessa July 4, 2017 at 10:51 AM

I’m still petrified of those Redbacks. Did you see that! 2-3 times in her life! That’s 2-3 times that they could have attacked and killed her. Alright, probably not. Though, yes, I’ve got major arachnophobia. That’s the hardest for me to conquer.

Jan! But… I was in Fairy!

Jan July 4, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Maryse, you are a lizard fan? You should def come down here and see us. We have some rippers (i.e. really good ones). Just a bit of Aussie slang there to get you in the mood. ;)

Melinda July 5, 2017 at 8:59 AM

Red backs spiders are harmless. We had a guy that worked for us that said he had been bitten multiple times on a job and ended up in hospital. My husband was distraught thinking this had happened as he had all these track marks up his arm. Turned out it was a drug overdose. Haha. They can bite but not bad enough to make you sick and the are fairly small. You hardly ever see them.

Maryse and lizards never knew that one. You might have to go to the zoo or right in the out back to see them though. Australia is very similar to Canada and maybe New York just not so busy on a smaller scale.

Books I am reading Dear Aaron this is soooooo good I can barely sleep. Best book this year. I think. Was stuck in the airport for 4 hours. And read half.

Melinda July 5, 2017 at 9:02 AM

And I saw a snake in Orlando at the hotel. Going across the path. I freaked out. They said their common and harmless garden snakes. Never knew that.

MichelleS July 5, 2017 at 10:21 AM

I have an expired foreign passport, pain to renew, so I’m stuck stateside for now. Ya’ll better not hop off to Ireland without me!

Maryse July 5, 2017 at 6:54 PM

MichelleS, me too. *sigh* Canadian Passport pictures are so hard to do in the United States. There’s appointment taking, and driving to the next big city over… and well. Ugh. Nobody leave without us please!! We have some catching up to do.

Maryse July 5, 2017 at 7:01 PM

We have the black widow spiders here, Melinda, and they can be (are?) extremely harmful and their bite so painful from what I hear. Days of full body bones aches and shakes, and possibly worse. Definite hospitalization for many that are bitten by those (and an anti-venom). And I have seen MANY in Florida in dark, cool crevices. They’re absolutely beautiful.

AND extremely shy. In fact, one time, I was cleaning up some of my empty garbage bins for sorting (some that hadn’t been used in awhile), and as I picked one up by the side-molded-plastic handles, I felt something wiggle and all, soft-silky feeling under one of my fingers that was UNDER the handle.

I set it down, and looked underneath, and nestled in a crevice under that handle was a Black Widow in her web. But instead of biting me, she crumpled up on herself and snuggled in deep to hide from me, and to keep herself safe.

She could have bit me, and damaged me for days, but they’re shy and reclusive and instead chose to hide and not be noticed.

I don’t hate spiders (and in fact enjoy many in my entourage because they’re so cool and handle the bugs in my garden), but I just do my best to avoid their bites.

Maryse July 5, 2017 at 7:09 PM

bev yes I did. 5 Pink Toe tarantulas. I raised them from tiny babies, into full grown adults. Very proud moment in my life (and then I gave them back to the breeder so he could sell them in the pet trade). I had one called “Spazz”. He was the only one that was named, because when it was cage cleaning time (they each have their own cage because they would kill each other if not), he’d totally spazzzzzz out, running around the aquarium like mad, and scare me to death. LOL!!!! Came out of his home and ran around my living room floor once.

Oh yeah. *gulp*

Still, they were amazing, beautiful and so fun to grow from babies into big ol’ spiders.

Maryse July 5, 2017 at 7:10 PM
Maryse July 5, 2017 at 7:14 PM

And here’s an example of a Black Widow spider I was talking about… https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oAXbc9e1Htg/hqdefault.jpg

Leslie M July 5, 2017 at 8:07 PM

Maryse, seriously??

You have got to be kidding me!!

I am shivering in fear and my stomach dropped when I looked at those pictures.

Um….yuck!!!

bev July 5, 2017 at 8:17 PM

I knew I remembered that story. First time I heard of pink ones.

We have black widow and brown recluse. Makes me shiver.

Tessa July 6, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Why did I click on the pink toe? Why?

Black Widows are deadly depending on two things. Your level of allergy and/ or where you are bitten. They got their reputation because they would be in outhouses, and people would get bit while going to the bathroom. (sitting on them) Since usually it was the inner thigh, the venom went straight to the heart, and they didn’t have anti-venom then.

That said, NOPE. My sister in law was bit by one when she was changing her carpet floor to the wooden floor underneath. They pulled up the carpet and hundreds of black widows were there. *shudders* She got bit by a baby on the leg, and her leg swelled up. She went to the hospital, got the anti-venom and was fine, but STILL! I’d have freaked.