Breaking News Update!! Four new books just went live, and we are buddy-reading!!

by Maryse on July 13, 2017 · 36 comments

BREAKING NEWS LATE NIGHT UPDATE!!!! HERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!! HERE. IT. IS. Tarryn Fisher’s latest JUST WENT LIVE EARLY. YESSSSSSS!!! Atheists Who Kneel and Pray by TARRYN FREAKING FISHER. :) Sidenote: I don’t think that’s her middle name but it should be. ;)  ➔➔➔➔➔

TODAY brings us FOUR highly anticipated books from some of our favorite authors. :D!! Two of ‘em are at the top of my TBR List right now (in fact I one-clicked ‘em as pre-orders, I was so excited, and I have them both today!!). In fact, many of us are starting a buddy read AS WE SPEAK!! :D *squeeeee!!*

<—That one there to the left.  And I’ve already started it, I’m already SO IN, and I love the writing and I love being in this girl’s head. She. Is. Hurting. And I feel her pain…

• The Unrequited by Saffron A. Kent <— OUR CURRENT BUDDY READ and HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended by so many of my book buddies like Grey!!! :D Grey: “Maryse, it’s awesome! I 5 starred it… it was fantastic…I can’t even tell you what it compares to… i want to compare it something… kind of arsen meets slammed… to the extreme… but not… it’s different, you can’t really use that comparison, but it’s on a level all it’s own.” eek MINE MINE MINE!!!!!

Grey: I am beyond excited to see so many of you going to buddy read, The Unrequited, this week! *squee* Maybe I will read it again with you… Just because!

Maryse: I have 4 books I want to read this week. I need to get cracking. The new one by Aly Martinez, Unrequited, The Idea of You, and I received the ARC for Tarryn Fisher’s latest. :D !!!!

Tessa: I am reading Unrequited! :D Glad to hear that it’s a type. lol

Amy: You know what I’m REALLY excited about? The Unrequited coming up
Hopefully I’m not going it alone… *side-eyes book twin* I am freaking OVER THE MOON excited for THAT one!!! :D Yes, yes, YESSSSSSS MARYSE!!! We need to buddy read The Unrequited FOR SURE!!

Maryse: The twin is IN!!!!!! :D

Cheryl: Amy, I’m not your book twin, but The Unrequited looks good to me too. Bonus that it is KU. I’m in!!

Leslie: Yes, Unrequited looks like a good one and has Grey’s stamp of approval.

MichelleS: We’re BR Unrequited? I’m on it. It’s KU.

Grey: I hope you’re all getting ready for your ‘The Unrequited’ buddy read… *pours shots*

Lisa Aiello July 13, 2017 at 6:46 AM

Unrequited and Darkest Sunrise arrived for me today and I’m so excited. Going right into a BR with Unrequited. I have my donut in one hand, my coffee in another – and a finger free to flip pages on my Kindle. Life is good!!!

R. Renee July 13, 2017 at 7:18 AM

I started The Unrequited last night, but I’m only joining the BR in spirit because I know I’ll fall behind. So far so good though!

Cheryl July 13, 2017 at 7:35 AM

Ok, I just one-clicked The Unrequited, but I can’t start it until later. Have to take my daughter to her Orthopedic appointment this morning; or maybe I’ll sneak in some reading if we any waiting time!

Will update later!!

*grabs Grey’s shot for later!! ;)

Ela July 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Started this morning!

Grey July 13, 2017 at 10:03 AM

*peeks in* how’s it going?? I have to stop at the liquor store on my way home, any requests?

Tessa July 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM

I’ll start as soon as I’m done with the book I’m reading. I have 7% left.

Ela July 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM

Really Grey? We will need liquor??? Now I’m scared! I’ll take a peach martini.

Maryse July 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM

*squeee*!!!

I’ll take 2 tequila shots please. With lime and salt.

marina July 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM

I’m in! Stayed up til 2 last night!! Love it!! Love the feels! It has been awhile since the vibe in this one!

Lisa Aiello July 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM

I’ll take a whole damn bottle of Amaretto please, Grey – this one is evoking feelings suppressed long ago. Oh man – the pain on unrequited love…gahhhh!

bev July 13, 2017 at 1:50 PM

FLT (s):
“I didn’t know how long I had been in the king’s prison.”
~The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

WEST LOS ANGELES, CA — An investigation is underway into a violent bank robbery at First Division Bank in West Los Angeles Monday morning.
—Low by Mary Elizabeth

“How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean by Providence, impoverished, in squalor, grow up to be a hero and a scholar?” ~~Hamilton Cast Album

Ela July 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM

bev? You’re not doing the great BR with us???

bev July 13, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Nope.

*holds up finger*

I could be wrong but I feel like I’d end up hate reading it.

I am totally guessing that the wife ends up being a villain in some way. That she is psychotic, or slept around, the baby isnt his, she is a danger to the baby, the had a moc….so on.
Now i could be wrong and it totally turns the trope on its head a d the wife comes out on top or the heroine is Glen Close and then I’ll be upset I missed out. Cause that would be cool.

Ela July 13, 2017 at 2:56 PM

I can totally see that happening though BUT…

bev July 13, 2017 at 2:58 PM

Lol.

I don’t know why these books rub me the wrong way…..*shrug*

bev July 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Side note. I want to go see The Big Sick it looks goood. Getting great reviews.

Also, The Glass Castle is coming out. Maryse you should check out the book. It is really really good.

Cheryl July 13, 2017 at 4:32 PM

Starting The Unrequited now!! *Snuggles Manny*

I’ll take a couple tequila shots with lime and salt too!!

R. Renee July 13, 2017 at 4:35 PM

I’ll take some tequila too please. Just cold, silver, in a glass. No salt or lime. Maybe a straw.

Sharon July 13, 2017 at 5:14 PM

I’m so close to finishing The Opposite of You – then it’s Unrequeited!!!!! Grey, I’m good with a nice bottle of Chardonnay, if you would.

Jen C July 13, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Umm okay hate you a little bit right now for having the arc of AWKAP!!!!!!

Starting The Unrequited tonight. Hopefully that fills the hole until Tarryn’s latest is in my hot little hands haha.

Grey July 13, 2017 at 5:56 PM

Alright, so I got a lot of really weird looks at the liquor store, but I think we are good. I bought one of everything… :lol: Cheers!

R. Renee July 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM

My liquor store would be like, “laying low tonight?”

Jan July 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM

Dakota Territory, September 1876

The Cheyenne stage was six hours late, putting Sarah Merritt into Deadwood at 10pm rather than in the late afternoon.

from Forgiving by LaVyrle Spencer. An oldie but goodie. Remember Lavyrle Spencer? Her books were mentioned on GR recently and I thought I’d pick one out to reread. And it’s lovely! Slow burn. Moving. Great depiction of a rowdy frontier town with only 20 women living there LOL.

Grey, did you get any whiskey? I think I should down one in honour of Noah Campbell, the *hot* marshall of Deadwood.

Grey July 13, 2017 at 7:07 PM

Mmm, I have Fireball in my cabinet… will that work?

Jan July 13, 2017 at 7:12 PM

Oh yeah. Sounds fiiinnne. *holds out shot glass to Grey*

Sharon July 13, 2017 at 7:17 PM

I am 15 minutes away from going into my hot tub with my Kindle and a nice drink! I will be sending cheers to Grey and everyone else!

Grey July 13, 2017 at 7:19 PM

FLT ~ “My heart is not an organ.” The Unrequited by Saffron Kent.

Yep. I couldn’t let my friends go it alone… belly up girls, the bar is open! I’m not as good at this as Amy is, AMES!!! where are you! I just pour straight shots most of the time, so we’ll be pretty plastered if her or R, doesn’t take over soon.

bev July 13, 2017 at 7:40 PM

Did you all get an email from GR? I’m a bit over halfway done for my goal which is good cause in around a month my reading time will be cut way down.
My average rating is 3.2, lol. When I do rate I do tend to 3 star….alot.

Tessa July 13, 2017 at 9:18 PM

74% to my goal. My average is a 3.9. Even if it’s like a 3.5 star, I always do four because of how I started. I know some deserve less, but compared to some of my four stars, they were superb. I so want to fix that. lol

Tessa July 13, 2017 at 9:20 PM

And finished The Unrequited. I want to see what everyone else thinks before saying mine in detail. I did give it four stars.

Grey July 13, 2017 at 9:49 PM

I am only 34% to my goal lol, which is slightly off because I have a few books I can’t rate on GR yet because they haven’t been released… OOPS. And my average rating is 3.4.

bev July 14, 2017 at 1:22 AM

Picking up Miss You again. I only put it down because I started it right when I started a book slump.
But I really like the writing, the setting and the premise. It starts in 1997 when the MCs are 18 and on vacation after graduating and will follow them for the next 16 years as their lives keep intersecting or maybe missing each other. Plus, it is set in Britain and written by a British author.

Robyn July 14, 2017 at 2:13 AM

I’m BRing Unrequited too! I’m gonna need a lot of RumChata and Fireball shots for this book! I just know something is going to happen and I’m on tenterhooks over here. I can’t take this Unrequited love dammit! I’m a mess at halfway.

Leslie M July 14, 2017 at 6:09 AM

Bev, Miss You Again sounds like a good one, I like the premise.

I am at 55% on The Unrequited and I like it so far. I really had no idea what to expect…hoping to finish today.

Jean July 14, 2017 at 8:51 AM

I had such a busy day yesterday that I’m only at 35%……waiting for something big to happen. I’m struggling a little guys…..it’s not pulling for me to get back to it, but I’m curious so of course I will continue (especially with all the glowing recommendations and my book twin Grey loving it). Finishing up today (after the boss leaves…lol)!

Jean July 14, 2017 at 8:52 AM

Really want to read The Darkest Sunrise! I love Aly Martinez!