Suddenly Sunday Surprises – August 9th 2015

by Maryse on August 9, 2015 · 89 comments

Wow… I haven’t posted one of these in awhile! Lately, Sunday’s have been pretty calm overall, but THREE hugely popular authors just released their books, so I could NOT stand by and wait until Tuesday to mention ‘em, right? That would just be wrong… what  if you were anxiously waiting ‘em? I know many here loved Book #1, of one of these… ;)

<— MONDAY Aug 5th UDPATE!! Look what else JUST WENT LIVE!! Souls Unfractured (Hades Hangmen Book 3) by Tillie Cole (PLUS 3 more below!!)

• Beneath Blood and Bone by Madeline Sheehan & Claire C. Riley is LIVE RIGHT NOW!! Ooooohhhh this one sounds like it wants to tear my heart out but in a goooood way! “Her name is Autumn, but she hasn’t said this name or much of anything else in the four years since the fall of civilization. A shell of her former self, living wild in a cave at the bottom of a ravine, Autumn is accustomed to being alone. She prefers it, actually, especially when her only options for company either try to kill her, or worse, to lock her up inside their walls.” And then… she ends up seeing him as her savior…  P.S. I don’t know if they can both be read as standalones or not (I’m thinking yes, but just in case, book #1 in the series is on super-sale at a rock-bottom price right now!! Thicker than Blood) UPDATE!! YES!!! BOTH books in this series CAN be read as standalones!!!
  • Bury Me by Tara Sivec <— JUST WENT LIVE!! And it sounds tragic and crazy and kinda scary too! She’s barely got her memory… just flashes of images.. “Two days ago, everything changed. Two days ago, the people I should trust the most became strangers in my convoluted head. The dreams I have can’t be real. The fleeting memories that whisper through my mind are scary and wrong…they have to be. If they aren’t, I have something much worse to fear than my fractured mind. I need to find out the truth, even if it destroys me. I’ve been told my name is Ravenna Duskin. I’m eighteen years old and I live…
  • Souls Unfractured (Hades Hangmen Book 3) by Tillie Cole – expected release date August 11th 2015 (and we’re still waiting… but I’m hoping considering our amazing book-luck today, that this one will be an early surprise, too!!) – AND JUST LIKE I thought… it did!! :D
  • That Baby (That Boy Book 3) by Jillian Dodd <— UPDATE (MONDAY AUGUST 5th 2015) JUST WENT LIVE TODAY!!
  • Overtime (Assassins Series Book 7) by Toni Aleo <— UPDATE (MONDAY AUGUST 5th 2015) JUST WENT LIVE TODAY!!
  • The Arrangement 20 (The Ferro Family) by H.M. Ward <— UPDATE (MONDAY AUGUST 5th 2015) JUST WENT LIVE TODAY!!
  • From Dust by Freya Barker <— Wanna know what I’m reading? This one was on a recent new release post, and just recently it was suggested a few times as awesome. One reader even said it had a KA “Sweet Dreams” feel to it. So I sampled it, and sure enough… I had to one-click it. Very good so far, and I concur! She’s homeless and eating out of dumpsters behind restaurants, and a manager at a local resto-bar sees it… I’m enjoying the feel, the progression, being in her head… and I’m in! I’m still only in the first half though, but so far? It’s good!! :D !!!
  • Fallen Crest University (Fallen Crest Series Book 5) by Tijan <— And just for fun… don’t forget what’s coming out on August 25th! ;) *glances and Tessa* I knooooowwwww I know Tessa. You have a fistful of peanuts. :P

Grey August 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Oooh, thanks Maryse! Fallen Crest University… will this be the last one in the series, do you know? I’m trying to resist the pull of this series until it’s complete…because I’ve been dying with the cliffies lately LOL!

Just because I love to drive you all crazy… I haven’t read a Madeline Sheehan or Tara Sivec book before… and *no* I haven’t been living under a rock…although looking at all these wonderful books, I sometimes think I may have been…

Maryse August 9, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Oh. Em. Gee.

*comes back to life*

And I’m not sure, but considering the huge fan Tessa, is maybe she can let us know. :D

bev August 9, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Maryse, we just found out Tessa is a Leo. May not want to tease the lion, lol.

Kim U August 9, 2015 at 7:18 PM

So glad to see you are enjoying From Dust!

Maryse August 9, 2015 at 7:25 PM

I’m a LEO TOO!!!!!

Leo’s get along REALLY well!!!

I can tease her. I said so.

Rebecca August 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM

beneath Blood And Bone can be read as a standalone. You would love it, they both hate each other… To start with. But book 1 will introduce you to this world.if you don’t mind a bit of gore, jump into this series, both 5 stars from me. Book 1 comes with a warning though, very emotional, ugly cry several times emotional, yet hopeful. These concentrate more on the human emotional side, rather than the zombies.

Maryse August 9, 2015 at 7:37 PM

It sounds EXACTLY like what I love, Rebecca, and I LOVE Madeline’s gritty writing… so thank you!

I just may make both of these my “next” reads. I love the apocalyptic stuff…

bev August 9, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Interesting. And how do you feel about Virgo?

Maryse August 9, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Virgo’s are really great too!! I get along GREAT with ‘em!!!

How do you get along with Leo’s?

bev August 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM

Lol. I’m a Taurus. As is Fabi.
But apparently alot on the blog are Virgo, including Amy & Jean. Its making Tessa want to run. She says they are neat freaks, lol.

Maryse August 9, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Oh I’m a neat freak too!!!! Oh if only I could start a blog on my “neat OCD” – maybe I should have a “section” here so I can show y’all. LOL!!!!

Melanie August 9, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Grey, Fallen Crest does not have huge cliffhangers. You just fall in love with the characters that you can’t wait to read more. Don’t wait! I think I remember Tijan saying there will be more in the Fallen Crest Series.

Cheryl August 9, 2015 at 8:44 PM

I’m a Pisces. Not a neat freak, just pretty anal about how things are done. ;)

Amy August 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM

I thought someone said recently that FCU won’t be the last one, even though she had initially intended for it to be. More FC for us!!!!! :D

Grey, considering the books you have looooooved lately, I think you would have fun with the FCH books. It’s not a complete series, but she doesn’t end any of them with CHs. They each wrap up on their own but still leave something for the next book to go on, even the most recent one. Seriously, Mason is just…*props chin in palm and sighs* And he’s of legal age now so we don’t have to feel as cougar-ish!

I’ve been wanting to read Thicker Than Blood, and I had no idea there would be another book following it…YAY! Love Madeline Sheehan and post-apocalyptic books! And Bury Me is another definite one-click.

Amy August 9, 2015 at 8:54 PM

Oops, I was typing while Melanie posted that soooo…yeah, what she said. ;)

Okay, so I’m a Virgo and I love organizing stuff (the Container Store is awesome!!!), and I like my house clean and even go through insane cleaning binges, but as contradictory as it sounds I am not a neat freak…though I wish I was. :? Although I did alphabetize hubby’s DVDs recently…all 400 of them. THAT was a chore.

Tessa August 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM

*grins* Amy described Mason best. Amy, book one he was legal. Just barely, but still legal!

Yeah, there’s going to be two more because the author felt like there was more story to tell. Which… *SQUEEE*

Nope, no peanuts today. It made me happy to see it, even if I have to wait until the twenty fifth.

Also, fellow Leo! I was even joking that you must have some Virgo in you with the lists. lol I’m the opposite. Though, I go into crazy organizing, Virgos go even further. *thinks* Though, I end up loving them.

One clicked Thicker than Blood. I keep eying it, and at that price, I’ll kick myself if I miss it. Either that or the Outlander thing taught me something.

Tessa August 9, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Everything clean.
Container store
Cleaning Binge.
Organizing 400 DVDs
That’s called being a neat freak.

Maryse August 9, 2015 at 9:00 PM

But a fun chore!!! :D

Tessa August 9, 2015 at 9:00 PM

*hugs Amy*

Tessa August 9, 2015 at 9:09 PM

You know what. I give in to all you Virgos. You can organize my books for me. :P Just joking. I’m the type that, I clean, then see some minor spot I missed, and shrug. I was the one with the room that needed cleaning constantly. *hangs head*

Amy August 9, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Nuh-uh!!! My purses always end up with tons of receipts and old shopping lists and empty sanitizer bottles in them, and my linen closets need to be organized, and my bathroom closets look like they vomited, and the basket drawers by my desk are in awful disarray and…any volunteers?

Organizing the DVDs *was* a pretty fun chore, until I went to our bedroom and found about 10 DVDs in there and had to shift everything around to fit them in! But I love that hubby can find his movies now without cursing at them in the process. ;)

bev August 9, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Amy, just that you want to organize your linens….

Amy August 9, 2015 at 9:29 PM

But…but…see, now a neat freak would already have done it and not just be sitting here like me saying they WANT to do it, eh? EH??

Tessa August 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Uh… if it makes you feel better, sure.

Maryse August 9, 2015 at 10:12 PM

You guys make me laugh SO hard!!!

What I do? Is… I stare at my organized “things” …. gazing… like when I organize stuff (which I do… a lot) I’ll purposely walk by, open the drawer, cupboard, or door… and *sigh* in great pleasure… standing there.. smiling at “them”. :P

Tessa August 9, 2015 at 10:37 PM

How? How can you do that? I look in the linen closet and as long as everything is clean and folded, it’s good. I open a cupboard door, things are clean, easy to find and not about to fall, it’s good. and and and… Great, now I have an urge to clean the linen closet. I BLAME YOU!

Amy August 9, 2015 at 10:43 PM

HA!!!! *points excitedly at Maryse* See?? SEE??? Maryse takes the prize!! :D

You know what drives me crazy? When I take the time to organize a drawer or a closet or whatever and then hubby starts digging around like a…whattaya call it…oh yeah, bull in a china shop! He ends up undoing all the good I’ve done. Oh well, I’m sure I drive him crazy with my quirks too. ;)

Amy August 9, 2015 at 10:45 PM

*giggle* Well look at that, we’re GOOD influences on each other at times.

bev August 9, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Maryse, have you seen this book it has been getting a lot of buzz. Thought about it as I really need to organize & de clutter.

Tessa August 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Organizing a perfectly okay linen closet is not a good influence. *grins* It just means I’m nutty too.

bev August 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM

So, guessing Amy’s husband isn’t a Virgo. Maybe he is a Leo, ;-)

Cheryl August 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM

I see Amy’s point, you can like to have things organized without being a neat freak. I love it when I figure out the best way to organize something. Doesn’t mean my house, or my purse is always spotless. It does make me feel good when things are in their place and there is not any clutter. :)

Tessa August 9, 2015 at 11:17 PM

I suppose so.

I’m reading Long Live the Queen by Kate Locke and I suddenly come across an Queens English spelling that defies description. Manoeuvre. I’ll never be able to spell that word correctly again.

Amy August 9, 2015 at 11:44 PM

*flops down next to Cheryl* THANK you. :D

All this talk of organizing though has me wanting to tackle some closets and cupboards here. Guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow!

Actually, hubby is a Capricorn. ;)

Ela August 10, 2015 at 6:55 AM

Grey???? Not even Undeniable???? Whaaaaaaaaa you didn’t read Duece????

Ela August 10, 2015 at 6:57 AM

I’m an Aquarius sooooooooooo I’ll just chill right over here *flops down on the rainbow shag pillow*

autumn August 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM

I cannot WAIT for Fallen University!!!!! And no its not the last book.shes writing logans book and Heather and Nates book too!

Maryse August 10, 2015 at 9:45 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever known an Aquarius… or at least not known that they were “Aquarius”.

Groovy man. ;)

Ela August 10, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Totally groovy! Ever since I typed that post I’ve had the song on my mind!
“When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars
This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
Age of Aquarius

Maryse August 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM

*gahhhhhhhh* I KNOW!! Me too. LOL!!!

Make it stop!! Make it stopppppp!!!!!

Crystal August 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM

I am so very excited to get Fallen University into my grubby hands!!! Yay Tijan!!

Ela August 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Anne August 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM

You guys crack me up. I am a Leo and like things to be organized but I am not a neat freak. My closet does need help so I really need to stop reading and start organizing *yeah right* lol

I’ve only read Undeniable from M Sheehan and Deuce yeah he was intense! I really want to pick up that series again.

I haven’t read Fallen Crest but I do love Tijan.

Georgia August 10, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Tara Sivec is amazing. The books written under this name are amazing. Gritty and Real. Very different from the Chocolate series. She is a gifted author with great story teller. Enjoy !

Tessa August 10, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I sometimes forget how funny Katie Macalister is. I’m reading Improper English and it was funny from page one. At this point, I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.

Grey August 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Nope, haven’t read any of them… under a rock, right??

Ela August 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Grey! *borrows peanuts from the gallery and dumps on Grey* OMG not even her PNR series???? The Holy Trinity Series????? I LOVE THAT SERIES (OF COURSE I’M WAITING ON BOOK 3 FOR WHAT FEELS LIKE 20 YEARS)….

Amy August 10, 2015 at 2:26 PM

*picks up stray peanuts and pelts Grey with them*

YES!! The Holy Trinity series!!! I’ve said it multiple times before but I’m saying it again…the second book broke my heart. Not in a UTEOTW way but in a why-does-that-have-to-be-happening way. I can’t wait for the next (last?) book. Anyone heard anything about it?

Ela August 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM

*sobbing* I want my Dragon back! Team Gerik bitches!!!!!!!!!! Soulmates all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I think MS said 2016??? I’m not even sure cause Preacher’s book is later this year, I believe November?

Ela August 10, 2015 at 2:40 PM

*still singing: Aquarius, Aquarius…la la la la la la la*

Grey August 10, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Stashing peanuts… nope, not gonna make me start a series that isn’t done yet. Besides, right now, I am basking in the perfection that is Kellan Kyle… *giggle*

Ela August 10, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Well the MC books are not really a series ya know!

Cheryl August 10, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Started That Baby. I’m really scared, the author started the book with a warning that “this book may not go the way you imagined it should. But it’s like life. Tragedy can strike when you least expect it.” Ugh, right now everything is rainbows and unicorns, and I’m waiting for the BAM!! *going into blanket cave*

Ela August 10, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Oh no Cheryl!!!!!! I can’t believe it took her 3 years to finish that series!

Anne August 10, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Tessa I love Katie MacAlister! She is so funny. I’ve only read her HR but need to read her CR. I loved her Noble series so much!

Guys I am oficially head over heels in love with Daemon! This fourth book is great cause I am getting a lot of answers but my heart bleeds for Kat and Daemon.

MichelleS August 10, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Holy Trinity – loved it!!!! Totally recommend it to anyone who wants something different and way cool. Book 3 – she said it was next inline after her collaboration book… so later this year or early next year. BOO. I hate waiting. I LOVE that series, fata!!

I am reading Warprize ’cause that’s where my mood took me. You were not wrong, Michelle and Amy – love it. I wish we would get more of him though, more of his thoughts, more of him period.

Amy August 10, 2015 at 4:17 PM

Are you serious, Cheryl?? Oh man…

I loved her inner dialogue in those books. There is one part that always comes to mind when I think of That Boy…at the beginning of one of the chapters, there is a drawing of a chicken, um, doing his business with an arrow pointing to that “business” and the word “me” next to the arrow. LOL!!!

Amy August 10, 2015 at 4:23 PM

Anne, we’ll have to link you to the extras that JA wrote for the Lux series. Have you read her Covenant series? Yep ladies…here I go again…READ THE COVENANT SERIES!!!! :D

Thanks for that, MichelleS! And yes, Warprize is great. This is how I kept picturing Atira…

Grey August 10, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Glutton, thy name is Grey…

so… because I was sitting at the Dr’s office, waiting like a million years, I decided to look at a list. (Instead of reading more of Effortless, because for some reason, as much as I love Kellan Kyle, Kiera is dancing on my last nerve!) Maybe you’ve read it… I’m sure most of you have! Oh Maryse…girl, you’re my hero. (BTW…could you change the updated August 5th part of your post to the 10th… it’s a Virgo thing, what can I say!)

Oh, what list, you ask? Highly Recommended Risque, Taboo & Forbidden love stories ( off to goodreads now to add the books to my TBR pile. *facepalm*

Amy August 10, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Enough said. ;)

Tessa August 10, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Amy, read the Dark Elements series.

Okay, that just had to be said. :)

Anne,I like her historicals, but absolutely love her PNR, specifically the dragon series. Specifically, I love the Aisling Grey, Guardian books. Sooo funny.

Michelle S August 10, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Grey – stay far far away from Forbidden. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. That one KILLED ME. Seriously, Mouth to mouth, the whole thing, AFIB, DOA, you name it, I had it.

Saw this and thought of you, BEV:

Speaking of “sequels we never saw” – what movie or book do you wish got a sequel and never did?

Amy August 10, 2015 at 5:31 PM

*tackles MichelleS to the ground*

Oh no…*grunt*…you…*covers her mouth with hand*…don’t!!!

Nothin’ to see here Grey. Just continue on your merry way to one-click Forbidden.

Oh that’s right, Tessa! I can’t claim to be a die-hard JA fan and not read all of her books. :D

MichelleS August 10, 2015 at 5:40 PM

*shouts* *in between* *breaths* with Amy’s hand all over my mouth!!!

Grey. Listen girl. They told me I could handle it. It was a great read. Lured me in. So I read it…. and it GUTTED ME. No, the sequel did NOT make it better. It was a little band aid for the giant gushing hole in my heart.

Proceed with caution. That is all.

MichelleS August 10, 2015 at 5:44 PM

LOL!!! seriously? I am SUCH AN IDIOT.

I was thinking of CARNAGE not FORBIDDEN….. okay Grey. Just ignore that WHOLE rant up there.

Read Forbidden. It was great!

Amy August 10, 2015 at 5:54 PM

*takes hand off MichelleS’s mouth*

Okay, that’s better…you were talking about Carnage. My heart just about stopped when I saw “sequel” in regards to Forbidden.

*helps MichelleS up*

*dusts her off*

Grey August 10, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Lol! No worries girls, I have already read Forbidden…such a big old bowl of angst that one was.

I actually started Good, by S. Walden… I don’t want to smack the sh*t out of this character yet, so that’s a marked improvement.

Hmmm…*wonders what this Carnage book is about that has MichelleS warning me*

MichelleS August 10, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Grey – I LOVED “Good” – one of my favorite “forbidden” teacher/student romances! Not as good as Loving Mr. Daniels. but still really really good!!!

Carnage – just keep walking Grey… just keep walking….. don’t even….

MichelleS August 10, 2015 at 6:15 PM

(it’s called “carnage” for a reason)

Ela August 10, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Never reading Forbidden!!! Had a friend read it and she basically told me the whole story! NOPE. NOT. GONNA. GO. THERE.

MichelleS August 10, 2015 at 7:30 PM

GASP! What kind of friend does that? Told you the whole story???? No way!

(if it is the forbidden aspect, the siblings, then not to worry – you totally “get” that part and don’t even cringe over it).

Anne August 10, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Amy I haven’t read the Covenant series, but I will!

Oh Tessa I haven’t read anything PNR from K.MacAlister but I will! Love her sense of humor!

That list is great Grey! I haven’t read Forbidden and Carnage is a total no for me. I started reading it but when I knew what happens at the end I just can’t.

bev August 10, 2015 at 8:49 PM

MichelleS, LOVE IT!!! We need to do a live buddy watch sometime, it’d be fun.

Amy, ah, yes, the “understandable” one.

Tessa, Jim!!!! Adored Men in Kilts.

Anne, Written. In. Red. ;-)

Going to be a bit MIA for a bit. Looong days. Freakin A, long days. It’s probably good though as my Taurus soul is probably in a rut, commenting 30x a day. :-I

Amy August 10, 2015 at 9:35 PM

I posted this on the cheating book thread but meant to post it here, so…

The Last Time We Say Goodbye is on sale right now for 1.99! I’ve been wanting to read it for a while now but didn’t want to pay almost 10 bucks for something I haven’t heard much about around here.

Oh, and trigger warning about LTWSG for those sensitive to the topic of suicide. Just a heads up. ;)

Amy August 10, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Aw, I’ll miss ya Bev! :( Check in when you can. *big hugs*

Anne August 10, 2015 at 9:49 PM

We’ll miss you Bev!

Has anyone heard of this book?
They say that it has a similar feel to The Sweet Gum Tree.

Cheryl August 10, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Bev, sorry you’re having looong days- that’s no fun!

I haven’t read Forbidden or Carnage either. The scare the sh*t out of me.

Amy & Ela ,I know she said in her comment at the beginning of the book that it took her longer to write this book because “when you write a book, you put pieces of yourself into it. And, quite honestly, I wasn’t ready for that. Every time I sat down and tried to write it, I couldn’t. Because sometimes life doesn’t go the way you planned.” Dear God, this series has been so funny & lighthearted, it can’t end in a f*cked up way!!

Tessa August 10, 2015 at 11:49 PM

*hugs Bev* At least enjoy some of the busy, okay?

Tessa August 11, 2015 at 12:42 AM

Dark Secrets by A.M. Hudson is free right now.

Ela August 11, 2015 at 8:14 AM

My friend KNOWS me that well that she knew I wouldn’t be able to handle the ending of Forbidden not that they’re siblings, but that ending what he does it a hard limit for me! *shivers*

Ela August 11, 2015 at 8:34 AM

I READ CARNAGE: The Story of US! That book pissed me off so bad I almost had a breakdown! I ranted to anyone who would listen hence I’m not interested in the sequel!

Cheryl August 11, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Stayed up till the early hours finishing That Baby. Had to know how it ended after reading the blurb and the authors warning at the beginning of the book. Funny, sad, frustrating- wtf happened to sweet Lori- wanted to bi&ch slap her; but definitely more angst than the previous 2 books. I honestly did not know how it was going to end-had me crying. Had to steal Manny to cuddle with until I was finished!

Now back to The Running Series.

Tessa August 11, 2015 at 10:00 AM

*hugs Cheryl* Late at night and no one to rant to. That sucks.

Ela, I’m with you on Carnage, except, I never finished it. I just stopped because I hated the main character so much, and just cheated and read parts to the ending. Still, nope. Glad I didn’t finish it.

I got Fourth Debt! *grins*

Ela August 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM

The cheating didn’t bother me THAT much but the ending killed it all for me!

Got Fourth Debt too but I’m waiting for the last book before I start this series!

Tessa August 11, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Not me. My insane love of mystery cliffies makes me adore this series. Though, reading it right now, it makes me so mad! Ugh I want to go in and kill a few people for Nila.

Amy August 11, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Wow Cheryl, I wouldn’t expect that from THAT series, but now I want to read the third book even more!

So I’m assuming my sweet little manatee needs a bath after all that snuffling? ;)

Amy August 11, 2015 at 12:43 PM

“My insane love of mystery cliffies…” <—– *shakes head* I'm getting hives just looking at that statement.

Ela August 11, 2015 at 2:23 PM

Cheryl August 11, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Yep, Amy it wasn’t what I expected from That series. Not your HIGH level of angst, but it definitely makes your gut & heart hurt. I cleaned up Manny. *hands back* ;)