Okay here’s the scoop. There are hints along the grapevine that the “hero” in this series has that “Travis-like” feel. I heard that, and said MINE! Bargain priced, too!! I’ll be reading these very soon.
Update: I LOVE THIS SERIES!!! My heart is beating out of my chest as I update this (I added a full-on discussion about it at the bottom of this page).
What readers are saying:
Michelle: Oh WOW! I loooove these books. I couldn’t put them down, I sacrificed quite a bit of sleep to read them. Karina Halle is a genious! The way she writes just draws you in and makes you really love Perry and Dex. I was on the edge of my seat. I can’t wait for her to write more.
Maggie: Thank you for recommending this series!!! I’ve been devouring books 1-5 over the past few days and am at a loss about what to do with myself now. … I never would have picked these up if it weren’t for your reviews and the series now fits easily among my favorites.
Maryse: Oh Maggie I’m SO thrilled!!! I’ve been getting that reaction a lot, via email and in our spoiler forum, and I know JUST what you guys mean. I too, hesitated thinking it was mostly going to be just “horror/mystery” but the emotional angst ends up being the biggest part of the series. I LOVE THAT!!!!
About the series:
A (very) mature young adult novel that is scary, sexy and relatable, filled with the supernatural and things that go bump in the night. A paranormal, supernatural journey with two unlikely ghost-hunters who must battle not only spirits but their attraction to each other. Scooby Doo, this ain’t.
In a large, flaky nutshell, the Experiment in Terror Series is an eight-part sci-fi/fantasy/horror series that revolves around a pair of ghost hunters. Well, aspiring ghost hunters, anyway. After filming a creepy experience in her uncle’s dilapidated lighthouse, 22-year old Perry Palomino becomes a YouTube and internet star overnight. She attracts the attention of Dex Foray, a producer and cameraman for a site that specializes in various webisodes, who convinces her to be a host for a low-budget ghost hunting series. The only problem is, neither Perry or Dex are entirely “with it” — I mean, they see ghosts, after all. And when the duo isn’t wrestling with their very notion of reality, they’re grappling with a working relationship that’s deep-cut with sexual tension. As the series moves on, leading Perry and Dex to new locales and supernatural situations, their lives become more and more intertwined, where they discover that ghosts aren’t the only things that can haunt them.
- Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror #1) <—— this one is free (or at least was free when I first put up this post)!
- RED FOX
- The Benson (Experiment in Terror #2.5)
- Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror #3)
- Lying Season (Experiment in Terror #4)
- On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror #5)
- Old Blood – A Novella (Experiment in Terror #5.5)
- The Dex-Files (Dex’s POV compilation)
- Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror #6)
- And With Madness Comes the Light (Experiment in Terror #6.5) (EIT 6.5 – Dex’s POV)
- Come Alive (Experiment in Terror #7) – tentatively titled and expected release date Spring 2013
- Little Fifteen (Experiment in Terror 7.5) – Ada’s POV novella (2013) – expected release date Summer 2013
- Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror #8) - tentatively titled and expected release date Fall 2013
Oh and some SUPER treats!! A few scenes from Dex’s POV including one of my favorite scenes (the bar/dancing scene). A little tidbit. I only read these after finishing book #3 and I actually think this was better for me, as it kept me in the dark about Dex’s thought process for a little longer. Made him extra mysterious which helped However, SO glad I know what he was thinking… now. hehe.
- The Dex-Files — a Darkhouse excerpt (Dex’s POV)
- Dex’s POV – Darkhouse Excerpt #2
- Red Fox from Dex’s POV (Quick warning: DO NOT READ the first part of this page if you haven’t read book #4 yet. SCROLL DOWN halfway and you’ll see one called “Red Fox — Dex“) – only read this one AFTER you’ve read Red Fox.
- Stripsearch (Dex’s POV from the strip club scene from “Dead Sky Morning” book #3)
- Rebecca’s letter to Perry (written after Lying Season) (DO NOT READ THIS until you have read book #4 – Lying Season)
And the author answers this frequently asked question:
Is Book #8 the end? Like, really the end?
Yes and no. The end of the Experiment in Terror Series. Is it the end of Perry & Dex? Probably not, though the idea I have in mind for my favorite duo won’t be realized for quite a number of years. But it won’t be the last you’ll ever see of them.
Karina mentioned an EIT related trilogy in her recent interview here, and then also told me in regards to Dex:
“He’ll def be the POV when I do the trilogy in a couple of years.”
And a conversation with my friend, Jackie, about the series, just to give you guys an even better idea of it, from my perspective (but if you want to go into the series completely surprised, then don’t read below. There are no real spoilers, but I explain the “feel” of it, and why):
Jackie: so will I like the Experiment in Terror series?
Maryse: YES u will like it. It has the same kind of tension that Barrons and MacKayla (Fever) had. You know… an ongoing series where each book has a “thing” to solve (sort of ) or at least investigate AND THEN there is huge sexual tension/romantic tension between the two main characters. But for a while … it remains tension (but it’s still so good) AND!!! “HE” is something to solve in himself. 5 books in and I’m still not sure what’s his “deal”, ya know? LOVE the series. And it’s in first person perspective – all her analyzing him, hurting, crushing, seeing, being afraid, being mad at him… very good stuff.
Jackie: oooh – sounds good. Is it para?
Maryse: yes, but only because they have a Youtube show where they ghost hunt, since she’s recently discovered she can see ghosts and so they partner up. But even that is exciting. As far as I know… they are both human.
Jackie Liliums Realm: love that …. “as far as i know”
Maryse: oh and i got lost in this one. Its been AGES since i’ve read a series back to back right to the end and there are still more books coming. I’d say its a great what to read after FEVER. Maybe not as “BIG” as Fever, but…. I dunno – it sort of is, at least for me
Jackie: Oh – you are so selling this to me.
Maryse: there are some “holes” every once in awhile, but again, series is not complete yet, so …. it’s not over til it’s over ya know?
Jackie: nothing hits ‘fever’ levels for me but coming close would still be awesome
Maryse: yep exactly and its not a copy or imitation of Fever either… like there are no obvious comparisons other than the “feel” of the series, the “feel” of the romantic tension. Some were worried it wasn’t romance. Its hard to explain to them if they haven’t read Fever that it IS romance, just different. Is there another term for this kind of ongoing romantic/sexual tension in a series, if not “romance”? I know it’s not typical romance but it really IS the biggest part of the series… how she feels for him…
Jackie: but you could say that about Fever. No romance at all in Fever # 1 but you know that it is with all the tension. Just clever writing- not giving you what you want yet
Maryse: EXACTLY!!!! It’s there from the getgo. At first he just gets on her nerves and ticks her off… but sh’es drawn BIG time and it just picks up speed from there.
Jackie: I will buy them now. I need a good series. Love a series I can get lost into when I’m on holiday.
Maryse: this is definitely one to get lost in…
For more about what I’ve written on the Experiment in Terror series, see below (lots, right? haha. I LOVE this series soooo much. In fact I’ve been in a “Dex-daze” all day today…):
- Karina Halle – Experiment in Terror Series Reading Order
- The Experiment in Terror Series – Intrigued Readers Want to Know…
- Behind The Books – Interview With Karina Halle
- Book Review – Darkhouse by Karina Halle
- Book Review – Red Fox by Karina Halle
- Book Review – Dead Sky Morning by Karina Halle
- Just Finished Reading Lying Season by Karina Halle & I’m Freaking Out!! The Torture Is Just So Gooood!!
- Book Review – Lying Season by Karina Halle
- Book Review – On Demon Wings by Karina Halle
- Book Review – Old Blood by Karina Halle