Stacia Kane’s “Downside Ghosts” captured and held me through the entire series so far. Witches with innate magical powers assist in controlling ghosts that now run rampant on earth, protecting humans from their wrath. Chess Putnam, a highly and naturally skilled witch (struggling with her own personal demons) runs into trouble however, when she assists both the “Church” she works for, and the battling underground gangs that run her city. Caught in the middle, she experiences more danger, and fear than ever before, all the while developing unconventional friendships, a potential romance, and heartache that will leave you aching for more.
Check out my series review here: I have Terrible Fever – My Review of the Downside Ghosts Series by Stacia Kane
As per the author’s website:
THE AFTERLIFE IS ONLY THE BEGINNING.
The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen and constantly attack the living. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Consequently, there are many false claims of hauntings from those hoping to profit. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully-tattooed witch and freewheeling Debunker and ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for nailing the human liars or banishing the wicked dead. But she’s keeping a dark secret from the Church: a little drug problem that’s landed her in hot and dangerous water.
Chess owes a murderous drug lord named Bump a lot of money. And Bump wants immediate payback. All Chess has to do is dispatch a very nasty species of undead from an old airport. But the job involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and crossing swords with enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust with a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.
The author also states: “the Chess Putnam books are pretty dark and gritty.”
- The Brave Tale of Maddie Carver <— (free read on author’s website book # 0.1 – As per Stacia: ”a very short little story about the beginning of Haunted Week” – e-book only)
- Finding Magic (Novella) (book # 0.5) <— This was released later in the series, but is the “prequel” showing Chess as an eighteen year old and as a “trainee”
- Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts #1) <— THIS IS WHERE I STARTED READING… (the rest of the short stories and free stories and whatnot have come after the main 3 or 4 books in the series, even though they are now officially “ordered before” some of the main books).
- Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts novella # 1.5)
- Unholy Magic (Downside #2)
- City of Ghosts (Downside #3)
- “Rick the Brave” (#3.5) as found in the Home Improvement: Undead Edition Anthology
- Home (Downside Ghosts # 3.6): A HeroesandHeartbreakers.com Original
- Sacrificial Magic (Downside #4)
- Chasing Magic #5 by Stacia Kane
- Close to You: A Downside Ghosts Story # 5.5 (A Heroes and Heartbreakers Original)
- Keeping it Close # 5.6 (free read on the author’s website)
- Five Down: A Downside Anthology (Downside Ghosts 4 short stories collected in ONE including a brand new one “Playing with Fire” which is book # 5.7)
- #6 <— Title and release date TBA