I love some of her choices, and am dying to read some of her others (incredibly diverse, and lots of “new-to-me” books!!), so you KNOW she’s right up our book-alley!! I can hear my TBR list groan as we speak. LOL!!!
Here’s a little bit about Jennifer (and her book-tastes) from over the years…
About her perfect day:
“Staying home, drinking wine, and hopefully getting some reading in….perfect day!”
About her favorite books….
“It takes some guts to share our favorite books because for those of us who love to read, what we spend our time with says a lot about us. I am very proud of everyone who has shared their lists…good for you. Just had to say that.”
“I love the variety…MM, Sci Fi, historical, so many genres so little time…and love soccer books…”
“I hadn’t read m/m romance before recommendations on your website….opened a whole new world!”
“I love badass heroines! … Love strong female characters with extraordinary abilities.”
“When I have long drive I love audible books. When I had a one-way 5 hour road trip I listened to Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Great refresher since I hadn’t read it in a while.”
“I also loved Johanna Lindsey….my first “adult” reads when I was a kid but still remember vivid details from these author’s books!”
“R Lee Smth book…automatic one-click for me! Bonus that it is described as another dark erotica story, can’t wait to dive in…. … R. Lee Smith was an amazing author find for me in 2015. … R. Lee Smith and her beauty and the beast stories. I love her writing and stories…all some variation of beauty and the beast and so complex, multilayered and hard… almost guaranteed 5* read…Cottonwood, Heat, Last Hour of Gann, Lamd of The Beautiful Dead…it’s what I do to get out of a slump…”
“I really like it when authors respond to readers and bloggers excitement about their books….very cool.”
“I was reading while my husband tried to nap…he kept telling me to be quiet because I kept giggling! I have to trim down my TBR list…at almost 400 books it’s getting ridiculous…still doesn’t stop me from reading this blog daily for any new “can’t miss” books though!”
A bit about her favorite “book boyfriends”:
“Barron’s from the fever series is my fantasy book boyfriend….HOT!”
“Caleb from captive in the dark. But oh how I came to love him!”
And about her TOP 2016 list, she says:
Hey Maryse! Thanks for the opportunity to post a list. I’ve never sent one before but enjoy reading others recommendations. I thought I read some good ones this year so I wanted to share so others may find a new read. Unfortunately, some of these great reads are the second or third books in the series- but so worth the reads to get to them!
1. A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman <— This was a 5++++* for me. It was a brilliant book and character study. I went in completely blind and listened to the audio version. I grinned like a fool driving to work and riding the bike at the gym. The dry observations Ove had about his neighbors, the cat, and his rivals was laugh out loud humorous although Ove was taciturn. This is a rich story of a man’s life, beliefs, principles, and how he affects those around him.
2. Do Not Disturb (A Deanna Madden Novel Book 2) by A.R. Torre <— This is book 2 of a trilogy, although there now may be more… The main character’s innate humor in her psychotic thoughts are so compelling. She struggles with her desire to kill; she wants to be good and live a normal life but she also wants to take life. She is a sex-cam girl shut-in who keeps herself in her apartment (mostly) to keep those outside her doors safe from herself. She is a strong, engaging, humorous MC.
3. Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde <— This book had the feels! August’s son was killed in an accident 2 years ago and he desperately wants to go on a summer road trip he would have taken with his son. His RV has broken down and he finds himself the guardian of the mechanic’s two boys for the summer on his trip. This was a fast read with great character interactions.
4. When Nothing Is All You’ve Got by Kirsty Dallas <— The story was very compelling. It had a dystopian setting, a strong, kick-ass female lead who dealt with struggle, strife, violence, and an anti-hero love interest.
5. Cottonwood by R. Lee Smith <— This author never disappoints. Her characters are brave, idealistic, evil, strong, and incredibly resistant to pain, both mental and physical. If you have read the Last Hour of Gann, this is its opposite story line… where alien colonists accidentally come to earth and how humans react to them.
6. The King’s Men (All for the Game Book 3) by Nora Sakavic <— This was the third story in a trilogy and an incredible conclusion to the story line. The books in this series are hard to describe, they are dark, sports related, suspenseful, only overtly m/m romance in the later part of the trilogy, twisting and violent. This is about a college-age team of misfits who are trying to find their second chance at life and success. It is brilliant, imaginative, and fascinating.
7. Jezebel by K. Larsen <— Wow….just wow!! Mind blowing story. So many clues, I though I was paying attention, I knew there was a twist…brilliant and cold.
8. The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland Series Book 2) by Kristen Ashley <— Finally read this in 2016 after having it sit on my iPad for two years. The interactions between the H and h are endearing, real, sexy, and delicious. I got lost in their world (#2 in the series but not necessary to read #1 first).
9. The Book of Life: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy, Book 3) by Deborah Harkness <— Number 3 in the All Souls Trilogy. This has witches, vampires, time-travel, history, adventure, romance, what’s not to love?!
10. Isadora (Masters Among Monsters Book 2) by Ella Frank <— This is book 2 of a trilogy and the third has not been published yet but this was erotica that I love and expect from Ella Frank. This is more a 3-part story that is separated rather than a trilogy with interrelated characters. This is a sexy vampire story with m/m and m/f pairings.
P.S. If you’re ready to send your list to be featured on a “Reader Favorites Saturday” (email it to me here)