Since it’s my birthday, I figured I’d celebrate with an old friend’s “favorite books” list, since she’s already been with me during an actual birthday or two. I have known Kira since I was 13 years old! We went from grade 8 to high school together (grade 10 or 11?), and she was one of my very best friends. We lost touch over the years, but fortunately, Facebook brought us back together again!
And I was thrilled!!! Because some of my most fun “growing memories” involve Kira.
Things I remember:
- She was always a brainiac. Straight A student/most likely to achieve type. I wouldn’t doubt it, if she was class valedictorian. Top of her class. Classy, fun, goofy, but a total “good girl” smarty-pants (she was kind of my hero…). <— OMG!! Update from Kira just a few seconds ago and she said:
Ummm… yeah…. that’s even more awesome. By the way… I don’t doubt had it been based on grades, she would have been Valedictorian, anyway.
She was a HUGE fan of Cowboy Junkies (I remember her singing “Sweet Jane” in the back of the bus…)
- She would help me study for tests on some mornings, in the back of that very bus.
- Now she’s a HUGE Dave Matthews fan!
- She also was constantly quoting “The Princess Bride”. She was HOOKED. And Kira… I still haven’t watched it. Eeeeeep!!
- She always had cool, trendy hair. Even when she got a perm once. She was not thrilled that first morning… but it ended up looking awesome on her once it relaxed…
- I think she played the clarinet. Or was it the flute? I played the Tuba, so I couldn’t see her past my huge instrument. LOL!! But she got me into “band” ’cause nobody chose the darn tuba, and they needed a tuba player. And heck, I’m game for anything!
- She “trained” me to babysit! (I took over once or twice for her usual babysitting job).
- Her mom closed the mini-van door on my fingers once, but!!! It was a cool fancy new van with padding, though, so I didn’t feel a thing. In fact, I wriggled my fingers for her (while still enclosed in that door) to show her all was functioning! There was panic though. LOL!!! I think a few hearts stopped temporarily that day.
- She. Had. A. HOT. TUB. Well.. her parents did. But HOW COOL WERE THEY?!
- Oh! And when she’d sneeze, she’d look around and ask the closest person to her (usually me) “Did I get any on ya?” <— *snort* LOL!!!!!!
Anyway, not only was I thrilled to reunite with Kira via our Facebook account, but to realize that she was “following me” because, she TOO was an avid reader. Oh… the reader part didn’t surprise me in the least. OF COURSE Kira was an avid reader. But to realize that she liked… what WE liked? Tee hee!!! I was tickled pink!!!
So what did she send over? Actually I was tagged in this a year or so ago (when I TAGGED her to list it), so perhaps she has new favorites, but this list is new-to-me gold!!!
“Quickly list my top 10 books…no particular order – and some (a lot of) cheating…here goes.”
- The Best Laid Plans (& anything else by Terry Fallis)
- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex (& anything else by Mary Roach)
- Anything by Martha Beck —- sensing a pattern here?
- Holidays on Ice - David Sedaris
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference - Malcom Gladwell
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- Scottish detective novels – Ian Rankin & Quintin Jardin
- High Fidelity - Nick Hornsby
- The Glass Castle: A Memoir - Jeanette Wallis
- anything & everything recommended by Maryse’s Book Blog <— HEY that’s me!!!