Breaking NEWS Update: We can now organize our books in our Kindle apps!!!

by Maryse on September 19, 2013 · 23 comments

in News

Okay THIS is some of the greatest book-news to wake up to, and now my stomach is twisted up in happy anticipation! I can now make lists… err “Collections” now in my Kindle app on my iPad. I haven’t done it yet (I’m currently in “update” mode and getting antsy) but I will be in my book-happy-place for at least an hour or so while I make lists to my heart’s content!

Here are the details on CNET (I’m bulleting the best-parts I’ve scanned for myself from the article),

• The “Collections” feature will allow us to add books to multiple categories.
  • The look has been upgraded with slidey menus and transparencies and all that
  • You have to update to iOS 7 (and that too, has a few new/better updates (such as Siri getting an overhaul)

… and here we are *squeeeeing* with even more updates as we “try” this thing… (I love these girls!!) but Lori just WARNED: BACK UP BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!:

Go little iPad, go!

Erin: I read somewhere this morning that you can now organize books on kindle and kindle apps. I looked at my kindle fire hd and it still looks the same anyone else hear this?

Lori: please yes!

Erin: I know!!! It only makes sense for them to that!!

Janet: Looks like the app update is for apple users (Iphone IPAD). Wish they’d do an android update

Erin: Thanks Janet!! I have the iPhone app I will look. Amazon better step it up!!!

Lori: Let me know Erin Griffin- I would love to be able to organize this mess!!

Erin: Lori the apple app have a option for collections!!!! So if you have apple your lucky. Organize away!! I don’t have many books on my phone app so it’s not worth it to me.

Lori: was it an update?? where;s the option??

Erin: Yes did you update to iOS 7? There are the 3 lines top left corner it in there.

Lori: not yet, do I need to to get it? But I need to update to IOS 7 first?

Erin: Yes just go to general setting and look for software update

Lori: Thanks Erin!!

Erin: Np post a pic when you finish it. So I can be jealous!!!

Lori: Looks like it works for Ipad/phone, and paperwhite…not sure about fire yet but don’t think so…

Maryse’s Book Blog: WHAT WHAT WHAAAAATTTT!!!????? *runs to her iPad*

Maryse’s Book Blog: ohhhhhh my gooooodnesssss I’m updating my iPad as we speak and I have butterflies!

Erin: I knew you would be all over that Maryse!!! Have fun!! While I sit here all green ;(

Lori: I think it’s comin for Fire Erin – hope so!! I know I’m giddy!! The update takes a long time, mine’s still not done, so get it going now!

Lori: Ok latest update!! from Amazon help boards- only Kindle apps and kindle e-ink devices will be getting collections, not Kindle Fire – I feel your pain Erin Griffin, have been living it! I’m giddy!!!!!!!!!!!! I just made my first collection!!!

Lori: even though it said my kindle app was the latest version I had to go into itunes and update it (hit open and it will update) I’m having to redownload some books (and hearing of some problems with people losing stuff, highlights, comments etc) so it’s not without it’s bugs – but definitely WORTH IT

Lori: BACK UP BEFORE YOU DO THIS!! Everything is different, and having to manually update apps, redownload stuff, etc. this is a pretty big change so don’t just jump in (like I did!! and I’m pretty sure Maryse did too! lol)

Maryse’s Book Blog: YIKES!!! Er… *whoops*…. heh. Lucky it’s a new iPad and I barely have anything on it… Except for a plethora of Kindle books.

Andrea: It works on my iPod! This is awesome. I’ve been wanting this feature for forever.

Taps fingers repeatedly on mousepad… come on.. come onnnnnn…..hurry iPad!! ;)

Virginia Travis September 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Maryse, the update is AWESOME!!! I did the iOS 7 update on my iPhone 5 but read on my 4th gen iPod touch. When I saw the features listed on the Kindle app update I ‘squeed’ SO loud! One thing I found out right away, but don’t know if you use the Kindle desktop software – I HAVE used the Kinde for PC mainly TO organize my books into Collections. However, when the Kindle app updated on my iPod my collections DID come over, BUT I only kept my TBR books on my iPod, which meant the Collections were incomplete. I have since redone my Collections on my iPod, but had to delete the imported Collections and start over. Now that I have Collections I’ve downloaded all of my previously read Kindle books, and have a TBR Collection to keep the ones I have NOT read yet, straight. Also, on the Kindle for PC software you cannot reorder your collections, but with the iOS update you can reorder by name and most recent. Yippee!

Maryse September 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yippeeeeee!!! :D

Virginia… have you noticed if you’ve lost any highlights and notes in any of your Kindle books?

Leigh Anne September 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM

44 more minutes of iOS 7.0 loading. COME ON iPHONE!!!

Heather September 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Omg! It’s like my birthday and Christmas all at once!! This is seriously all I have wanted ever since I started using the app last year!

Virginia Travis September 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Maryse, I just checked a half-dozen random books for missing Notes and Highlighting – they are now calling that feature “My Notebook”. Two of the books showed the color coding and the location of the Highlighting, but the words did not show up in My Notebook OR when I visited the location itself. On those same two books the Notes DID show up. Hmm. Crap! I Highlight and make a lot of Notes! I had already suspected that Highlighting and Notes disappeared on older versions, because books I could SWEAR I notated wouldn’t show anything when I downloaded the archived copies again. I’ve always had the annotations set to sync and backup, so I don’t know how much has been lost. I’ve got more than 400 Kindle books that I’ve read, notated and highlighted. I guess some (a lot, maybe?) will be lost. What are the chances that any future “bug fixes” would have the lost annotations appear again? Wouldn’t that be nice? I hope you’re good to go when you’ve updated! *fingers crossed*

Amy September 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

This is so exciting!!!! Just one question though – do you back up the entire iPad or just the Kindle app? And how do you do that? My OCD is already kicking in just thinking about how to organize my lovelies…I mean, my ebooks. ;)

Virginia Travis September 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I JUST noticed something while downloading archived books. Notes and Highlights ARE taking a minute or so to show up AFTER opening My Notebook on the last several books!!! I don’t know about ALL, but the last few I waited for a bit and the Highlighted text is appearing incrementally. Woo hoo!

Amy September 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Never mind, I’m backing it up now.

Karen September 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I updated my Kindle app without updating to iOS 7 and it seems to be working fine. Just thought I would let everyone know if you are hesitant or don’t have the time to wait while iOS updates.

Tina September 19, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Thank you Maryse! I usually don’t click on the updates, I hate change but I’m loving this.

Barb September 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I just have an iphone so I updated the Kindle app and was able to make a TBR list. Love it that I can put them in the order I want to read them. I read off my Kindle but am keeping the TBR list on my phone.

BRAZGIRL September 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM

What what what???? I am about to start crying of happiness!!!! Thank you so much for sharing the news – I did not know!!!!! I wrote so many emails to their customer service complaining about this that I feel a little victorious now :)

Cody September 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Damn you, original iPad!!!! My heart is broken. I can’t update. :-(

Kelli Stanley September 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM

My phone is an Android, and I can’t organize my books on my kindle fire! :’( So sad for me!!!!!

Sonia September 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Can you organize the books directly on you kindle?

Emily September 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Wow – this is like the motherload of all time! *taps fingernail to tooth while waiting for IPAD to update*

Katy September 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

BEST. NEWS. EVER!!!!

Amy September 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I cannot find “collections” even after updating. I have a 3rd gen iPad. Am I just missing it somewhere??

Brazilian Girl September 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM

OMG I am so happy building my collections. I have one called “Maryse Recommendations” YAY!!!

Amy September 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

And once again, never mind. Figured it out. :)

Ann-Theres September 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Oh man!! I am so pissed right now! Updated to IOS7, and now my Ipad will not logg inn at my kindle cloud!! It is a disaster!!! I even tried turning it off and on again, but nothing!

Stacy (StacyHgg) September 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I LOVE this update!!! It’s fantastic!!!

sonia November 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Question, this is only an app for your iPhone not the kindle fire right? Is there a way to organize books directly on the kindle fire?