Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele have officially been cast for the Fifty Shades of Grey movie!

by Maryse on September 2, 2013 · 50 comments

in News

Whooooo that was a long, very exciting wait! Speculation ran wild for so many gorgeous actors that would have fit the Fifty Shades of Grey roles perfectly, but the actors chosen for Christian and Ana have finally been announced! And the official word has come from the author herself!

E.L. James just tweeted:

E L James ‏@E_L_James Good moaning all. Hold on to your hats…

E L James ‏@E_L_James I am delighted to let you know that the lovely Dakota Johnson has agreed to be our Anastasia in the film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey.

E L James ‏@E_L_James So… Christian…

E L James ‏@E_L_James The gorgeous and talented Charlie Hunnam will be Christian Grey in the film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey.

Dakota Johnson <— (I linked to her pictures here) is the daughter of Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson (wow she looks so much like Melanie). Not a hugely known actress (yet) but we were all sort of speculating that they’d choose lesser known actors for such a huge movie (and book phenomenon) as this. She certainly has that shy, sweet and innocent look. Here’s a little on Dakota (from Google & Wikipedia):

Dakota Mayi Johnson is an American fashion model and actress. She may be best known for her lead role in the short-lived FOX sitcom Ben and Kate. Her parents are actors Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith.Wikipedia

Born: October 4, 1989 (age 23)

And well, Charlie Hunnam as Christian Grey is the one that surprises me! I’m all for it, mind you, but I know him more as the bad-ass gritty but super-sexy biker dude (Jax) in Sons of Anarchy. It’s going to be interesting seeing him transformed into a distinguished billionaire. Goodbye biker-guy swagger, and foul-mouthed ‘tude and hello Mr. Debonaire. Although, I have seen THIS pic of him, and I think that it could definitely work. From Google & Wikipedia:

Charles Matthew “Charlie” Hunnam is a British actor and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for his roles as Nathan Maloney in the Channel 4 drama Queer as Folk, Lloyd Haythe in the Fox comedy series … Wikipedia
Born: April 10, 1980 (age 33), Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Height: 6′ 1″ (1.85 m)

Bring it on. I’m ready!!! I’ve been ready for almost two years now (since September 25th 2011). Yep! 2011!! That’s when I originally reviewed Fifty Shades of Grey and was absolutely bowled over by it. Ahhhhh back in the “day” when we didn’t have to share Christian with the world, yet. *sigh* Remember those days? ;) He even sent me a note once… for Christmas. Hehe Yesssss… I know. *blush* I’m hangin’ on to his “not-yet-so-famous” days with an iron grip. Sifting through our old memories together. Tee hee!! ;)

Other Fifty Shades of Grey movie info (from USA Today):

• directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson
  • produced by Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti (and E.L. James).
  • The series trilogy will be played out in three movies.
  • Fifty Shades of Grey movie is expected in theaters August 2014

P.S. So what do you guys think of the movie news? Those are some BIG shoes to fill…

I’m just dying to know what one of my favorite authors, C.J. Roberts thinks. She’s a HUGE Charlie fan. In fact, off I go to stalk her. Er…. I mean, her “social accounts”. No worries, she’s used to it. LOL!

Jen September 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Love the casting! He is beautiful!

Maryse September 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

He SO is!!!!! I can’t wait to see him as Christian!

Lindsay September 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I think he’s a good choice, I’m not too thrilled with Anna’s casting. I hope they have explosive chemistry on screen for her sake. He is yummy!

Lisa B September 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I am so not thrilled. Not at all what I imagined, especially Dakota Johnson as Ana!! I also read that it will be 3 movies!!! Another Twilight fiasco: movie, wait a year, movie, wait a year, movie! That’s what I am picturing in my mind! Just totally disappointed all the way around. .

Hazel September 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I was sooo disappointed when i saw the pic on the Huffington post article.. Bleh… But i definitely did a complete 360 when i googled him and saw his other pics.. Wooohoo… He’s hot… Cant wait til he gets the wardrobe change and becomes Mr. Grey :)

Lise September 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Oh God… Love Charlie…. such great news. I should be cooking for Labor Day company, but I am stalking all of the CH as CG chatter!

Jill September 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I kind of like Dakota as Ana. She’s got that “girl next door” pretty about her that I always associated with Ana. Pretty, but not glamor girl.

He is just delicious!!

Kim L September 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I can’t see him as CG either, he is Hot though!!! Dakota? Really didn’t even see that!!!! They better just make it good or there will be A LOT of disgruntle people!!!!

heather September 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

so disappointed !!!8

Trisha Sullivan September 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

VERY disappointed! That just took the wind out of my sails for the movie. I think this is the worst pick possible for Anastasia, soso on Charlie but man I just don’t see these people as Christian and Ana…….crappers. Ruined my day…….Thanks for posting it though. There is always Gideon, Travis, and Dex which reside in my head and heart, heheheheh

Stephanie September 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I’m obsessed with Charlie Hunnam! I wasn’t very excited at first because I love him as Jax Teller……But, I am quickly changing my mind and I’m really excited! Once I get biker Charlie out of my head it completely works for me!

Erin M September 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Wow! Didn’t see those choices coming. Not who I had in mind but I decided long ago no could probably live up to the visions I had in my head….sometimes the book and fantasy is just better.

I will wait for the first previews to come out to decide. Thanks for the info.

Virginia Travis September 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I have yet to see watch Charlie on screen, and can’t even recall Dakota’s role in The Social Network, but you know that term, “movie magic?” Well, I can accept that they will both be magically transformed into Christian and Ana with the right team and the proper tools. I’ve read the trilogy NINE BLOODY TIMES, and have already planned to read this year out with my tenth visit. I’ve mostly stayed away from casting rumors, because that’s what they were—rumors. Now that E.L. and the studios have made their formal announcements I’m going to do my best to remain hopeful that the finished movie(s) inspire even half the crazy feelings I have for the books. Feelings that I STILL cannot explain.

This is an exciting step forward to the finished product, and I wanna be happy about it, dammit! :)

Maryse September 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Haha! I just noticed in her tweet, she started off by saying “good moaning”… *giggle* “moaning”. I wonder if that was intentional. ;)

Virginia Travis September 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Yes, Maryse, I’ve seen her use “moaning” before! She has that lovely British humor, after all. If she didn’t how cold she deal with all of the, ahem, nasties and haters?

Maryse September 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Ahhhh I love it, then! Very clever and cute. And so “apropos”. ;)

Joanna I September 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Ahhhhh very good news!!! I freakin love Charlie, he’s soooooo hot!

Jenniffer September 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I dont know about Dakota for Anastesia, dont do it for me AT ALL. Charlie Hunnan LOOOVE love love him as JAX, being a fan of the series since season one! but i saw the movie THE LEDGE” with him and Liv Tyler, and boy let me tell you…the sex scenes where of the roof… And the roof was on fire! The movie didn’t do good but, i liked it! Among the two of them, Charlie Hunnan was the better choice! The only thing i know for sure is that DAKOTA AND CHARLIE have a lot of work to do to try to excel, otherwise, this will be a complete fiasco! Boy, i hope they all know what they are doing!

Melissa September 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Lisa B. I’m with you! Dakota is not at all what I pictured . I’m a little skeptical. Not thrilled its 3 movies either. It will be another 4 years before they are done! :(

Kristina September 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Wow, he’s a great choice!! Not sure about the female lead, I pictured Ana much different. Hopefully they’ll have awesome chemistry!

Nicole September 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I am VERY disappointed in the casting choices. Every since I saw their pictures posted, it has totally changed my mood in seeing this movie. While I wish these actors the best in making this movie, the thrill of seeing this movie is gone. While I will EVENTUALLY see the movie, I am not quite interested in it anymore. :(

Lynne September 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Sorry, I am SO disappointed. Dakota Johnson? Are you kidding me? Charlie is cute, but totally Not what I expected. I really don’t like being a negative person, so I’ll just wish them both luck, but I doubt I’ll see the movie now. :(

Rachel September 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I don’t mind Charlie, although he’s not who I pictured at all. Dakota on the other hand is all wrong. Although she’s only 23 (you know I looked her up!), she looks older than that, and too old to be innocent Ana. I also think she’s one of those people who’s not unattractive by any means, but also not someone you would call pretty. Kwim? I pictured Ana as a very pretty girl-next-door (Maryse, you could play her!!); someone we could all picture as ourselves. Dakota is too unique looking to relate, I think.

I’ll still see the movie. I didn’t like the casting in Twilight either, but the movies were still ok. Thanks for sharing the news, and giving us a place to sound off, Maryse!

Lindsay September 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM

She does look old! At fist I thought I was looking at a picture of Sharon Stone. More like a Mrs. Robinson cast if you ask me.

Maryse September 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Awwww Rachel! That’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me. You made my day!! :D

Always glad to help with the news! ;)

Jennifer F. September 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I hope I will eat my words, but……I’m not feeling it. At all.
I wish the movie crew luck, but I have read overwhelmingly more negative opinions than positive ones all day. I realize there is no perfect cast, but these two are so very wrong.
I can’t even think about the three movie deal. What?! Be a little more original. Come on!!!

mslise September 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I have cleared it with my hubby an hour ago. when the movie is released i shall be camping in the cinema for at least 4 re-runs of the movie.Just in case I’ve missed anything crucial in the storyline ^^ (Charlie Hunnam-sigh). He just shrugged and said “Go for it” (Hence why i married him lol )

Courtnee September 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I never would’ve pictured Charlie Hunnam but now that he is cast… He will be GREAT. I’m a huge fan of his and think he will be able to play both sides of Christian really well. He has a definite charisma about him!

The Ana casting surprises me a lot more. I felt like there were so many actresses that would’ve been perfect. I’m sure she will be great though and she is totally unknown to me, so I kind of like that too.

Shirley September 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

He will make a great Christian Grey. Smokin’ hot as Jax on Sons of Anarchy. Definite bad*ss. I’ll bet he cleans up nicely as Grey.

Allison b. September 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I absolutely love Charlie hunnam! Not sure about Dakota. I soooo hope Kim catrall is Mrs. Robinson!

Stephi September 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Hot Damn! You just made my day! Charlie will be Christian?! I seriously can’t breathe right now and I just squealed aloud in the grocery store!

Jacque September 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I worry if seeing the movie will ruin the books for me, Twilight was so much better to read than watch.
books are just better :(

yashira September 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Holy mother of pearl… Charlie !!!sigh ( just drooled a little ) I’m so exited I been watching fan made trailers on you tube. Can’t wait to for the movie. I wonder if it will be a 3 part movie like the books or if it will be a stand alone.

Toski Covey September 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

LOVE HIM.. She will be perfect I am sure.. BUT ALL EYES ON CHARLIE:)

Alicia September 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I think it’s great! I’m just glad they didn’t use anyone from the twilight movies! When I read that people wanted them to play the roles I just about died.. that would have been a huge mistake! I liked Henry Cavill for the role of Christain, however I think Charlie will do great! I haven’t seen much of Dakota in anything and I think they made a good choice picking someone who isn’t very well known! I’m actually excited to see this movie now! :)

Tammie September 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM

OMG so so excited I love Charlie Hunnam! When I first heard that maybe a movie would be made my girlfriends and I totally said he would do a fantastic job…hello have you seen his topless pictures…perfect just perfect. We love him as Jax and he will do a fantastic job as Christain. Give him a chance he’s an actor and a hot one at that with an accent to boot! YAY!

ReaAnne September 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM
nicole siggens September 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I’m disappointed. Dakota is not a good choice for Anastasia doesn’t have that innocent look. Charlie is hot enough and good in any role he plays. I’m just having trouble wrapping my head around him going from hot biker to cold billionaire. Hopefully, it works out because a lot of people will be upset if not.

Ruthie September 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I screamed when I read this and then texted my daughter because we are both big Jax fans (her screen saver) from Sons…I mean have you heard the man say “Darl’n”!!! I had zero hope of them picking anyone I liked so now I am actually looking forward to this movie.

Ruthie September 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Funny that just a few days ago I texted my daughter (after having just watched some Sons) and said…”every time Jax says Darl’n I go a little weak in the knees”! and she responded with “why do you think he is my screensaver?”

Linda September 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Really excited we finally have updates on the progress being made on this delicious story. I’m not familiar with either actor which I think is a good thing. On first instinct I could totally see Charles transformation into Christian but Dakota not so much. I picture Ana with more delicate features but with that said I have a feeling EL James must really see this coupling. Cannot wait for this EVENT. Bring it on!!!!:-)

MamaRuby September 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Brilliant casting, in my opinion. Charlie Hunnam is a very interesting actor and I can’t wait to see what he does with the role. My only complaint is a personal one in that he is “my” Caleb from CJ Roberts, Dark Series. I guess I’ll need to do some book boyfriend rearranging in my head!

Denni September 3, 2013 at 3:26 AM

:( he’s hot but I really wanted matt bomer that’s who I will always picture as Christian x

Nicole September 3, 2013 at 5:48 AM

I think Charlie was a good pick for Christian Grey, but I don’t agree with Dakota’s casting as Anastasia, she definitely looks a bit too old for the role. However, I initially moaned when Robert Pattinson was cast as Edward Cullen (because the initial promotion pictures didn’t do him ANY justice at all!) and just look how amazing that turned out to be! I can’t imagine anyone else portraying Edward now, so perhaps Dakota will still surprize everyone. Once the make-up and hair gets done the actors often look totally different and better suited to a role. I wasn’t the greatest fan of the books but I hope that all the Fifty Shades fans out there will be happy with the final result.

Georgia September 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Totally agree .. he would be the perfect Christian Grey. He is a very talented especially on SOA so I’m looking forward to seeing what he does with the new role. The female lead sounds good as well. Im sure it will be an amazing adventure. E.L. James would settle for nothing less than the best.

Cassie September 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I’m all aboard the Charlie train, whoo whoo! :) Perfect for Christian. Not at all in agreement with Dakota though, she doesn’t seem the part at all.

Tina September 4, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Charlie Hunnam was great in Queer As Folk – awesome – he will be great!!!!

(p.s. “Good Moaning” is a catch-phrase from a popular English Sitcom called “Allo Allo” which aired 1982-1992 – it was greatly loved over here – but she definitely used it to great affect in her tweet!!)

Michelle Calitz September 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM

i can’t wait for fifity shades movie to come to South Africa, can they hurry up now please

Sarah September 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I’m so glad I started watching SOA this summer and completely fell for Charlie! So when I heard that CG is being played by an actor I know and love! Even if he wasn’t exactly my choice but I am sooooo happy. I think he’ll be a perfect Dom Christian. He’s got the boyish smile that Christian have sometimes! He’ll do great I know it.

As for Dakota idk her but I’m hoping they casted her coz they saw Ana in her.

teri September 12, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Fantastic casting. Better than I could have hoped for!