ANOTHER TOP TEN LIST (actually… more like 15 😉 )!!! Jen C loves the kind of books we do, and you’ll recognize your own favorites right here in this list. And the ones you haven’t read (like a few I haven’t read either), make me VERY excited to jump in!
“My absolute favourite thing to do each year is look back on the books I’ve read… so once you mentioned top reads for 2016 I had to jump and complete my own list!”
1. F*ck Love by Tarryn Fisher <— This was the first book I read in 2016 and is pretty much my favourite read of the year… or at least one of.
Honourable mention: Never Never: Part Three of Three by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher – absolutely adored this serial!
2. November 9: A Novel and It Ends with Us: A Novel by Colleen Hoover <— I read November 9 on November 9 this year – I don’t know why I put it off for so long. Absolutely devoured it and fell in love. Then had to start It Ends With Us and oh my god that just finished me off. Completely ruined me. Two amazing books that will stay with me forever.
Honourable mention: Too Late by Colleen Hoover – I already included two books in one so couldn’t add in this one as well. LOVED Too Late. Such a different style for a CoHo book but so well done.
3. The Royals series by Erin Watt (Paper Princess, Broken Prince and Twisted Palace) <— I adore angst/bully books and this series was one of my favourites from this year. I bought the first one when it was on special and got hooked. After finishing I immediately bought the other two books and devoured them over a few nights.
4. Wrong (Wrong Series Book 1) by Jana Aston <— Jana’s quickly become one of ‘auto one-click’ authors. Love her writing style. This book was exactly what I needed after reading IEWU and when I was struggling to find another book that captivated me. I think I started about 5 books and barely got through the first chapter. This one hooked me from page one though!
5. Me Before You: A Novel by Jojo Moyes <— I *finally* plucked up the courage to read this book shortly before the movie was released. As much as I was a blubbering mess throughout it, it was such amazing thought provoking book. I made the mistake of watching the movie on a flight back from LA to New Zealand. Flight attendant was worried about the tears until I told her what I was watching – found another fan of the book!
6. The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred <— This book had been sitting on my kindle for a year or so before I started it. I had heard people raving about it but for some reason I kept skipping over it. Not sure what made me start it but OH MY GOD so glad I did. It’s one of those amazing books that everyone needs to read IMMEDIATELY.
7. The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata <— Another author who has quickly become a favourite. Adore each and every one of her books. And this one! That slow build/slow burn was incredible.
8. Into the Nothing (Broken Outlaw Series Book 1) by BT Urruela, Wicked Little Words by Stevie J. Cole and BT Urruela, and A Lover’s Lament by KL Grayson and BT Urruela <— I lumped three books in one here because I “faved” each of these books after finishing them. Wicked Little Words was my Halloween read this year and the mystery/thriller aspects of it were super dark and twisty. I think BT Urruela is my favourite author find of the year lol.
9. The Score (Off-Campus Book 3) by Elle Kennedy <— This one quickly became my favourite of the series (as much as I adored the others). Felt every feeling of this book HARD.
10. Scarred by Joanne Macgregor <— I wasn’t expecting much from this YA book but it really stuck with me. A really beautiful story which was ultimately about forgiveness.
“Here’s to 2017 and many more amazing books to come!”
Check out MORE of Jen C’s book favorites: