This weekend involved three books (all “rockstar-ish”) and none of the caliber of the books I’ve enjoyed over the last couple of weeks. Each one, almost generic in feel. Not sure how to describe the actual “writing” other than by saying they were mostly just telling me about the characters instead of having me feel it and live it myself. I was never there, never transported, just reading about them, instead if being them.
Friday’s book involved an up and coming country star, but the heroine was giving all sorts of mixed signals (hot and cold), and I kept putting it down. Saturday’s book was full on bad-boy rock star, but the constant physical descriptions of what they were wearing wouldn’t allow me to leave the 80’s (I just couldn’t re-arrange the story in my head for a more modern feel). The author just wouldn’t leave the “lime green leather jacket with zippers”, the hightops, and the bandannas alone, so I had to put the book down. I’m just not into hair-metal and I couldn’t escape the “time period” with her constant reminders.
And then there was today’s book… candy-sweet fluff of a Disney-esque book. Would have been great as an afternoon “family” movie, hey – actually I think I’ve watched something similar a few months ago. Nineteen year-old teen rock-star idol falls for his seventeen year old “kitchen-help”. Cute, sure, but bored me. I didn’t feel a single thing other than irritated.
Well, they can’t all be magical, can they? Most of the latest book I’ve loved have been YA, but… not. Not the typical YA, anyway. Luckily I’ve got a few other *good* recent reads under my belt to review this week! I guess my next few will involve a healthy dose of “adult”, and some biting might be nice 😉
I’m taking some time out right now to find us some freebies and bargain e-books… Perhaps there will be a gem in the bunch? Oh by the way… in my search for the bargains I found a few (not bargain priced) but that made my heart skip a beat with amazing ratings – YAY! I think I’m gonna be in a frenzy again!
- Amaury’s Hellion (Scanguards Vampires #2) by Tina Folsom (this one was pretty good, and I’ll be reviewing shortly)
- Summons: A Goblin King Prequel by Shona Husk (nice cover – is that Paul Marron? – WOW!!)
- Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery by Jennifer Hampton (full length, lots of good reviews)
- The Fey (Alex the Fey thriller series) by Claudia Hall Christian (also full length)
- AVION – Book One of the Crystal Rose Chronicles by Emma Daniels
- Ascension (Guardians of Ascension) by Caris Roane
- Shadow Touch by Erin Kellison
- Shasta Summer by Teresa Geering
- Intervamption by Kristin Miller
- Anchor: a Northern Shifters novel by Jorrie Spencer
- First Frost by Jennifer Estep
- Warrior’s Rise (Warriors For Light, Book 1) by LJ DeLeon
- Absolution (Warriors For Light, Book 3) by LJ DeLeon
- Hunted (Brides of the Kindred) by Evangeline Anderson —> SO many good reviews… I’m intrigued
- Claimed (Brides of the Kindred) by Evangeline Anderson
- Sought (The Brides of the Kindred) by Evangeline Anderson
- Once Bitten, Forever Burned by Eve Langlais, Stacey Kennedy
- The Geek Job by Eve Langlais
- Cassie Palmer Series – by Karen Chance – Excellent DEAL on a 4 book bundle!