And!! I’m currently reading one that is TOTALLY up my “old” alley. “The Girl on the Train: A Novel” <— One of mystery and intrigue and kind of creepy-scary by way that every seems a little nuts, but sad, and I dunno. Something bad… really bad…. just happened.
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough…
Eeeeeep!!! I’m thinking of using it as my “book that scares me” selection for my 2015 Reading Challenge, since “they” say it’s a psychological-thriller/Hitchcock like book. I do love me a good messed up convoluted read that hurts my head but I can’t put down. Thanks to Sadie for pointing out this new release. I missed it ’cause I usually only check romance releases, but this??! Yep…. I’m gonna have to start paying attention to the other categories. 😛
Sadie: I’ve gotten completely obsessed with this book!
Maryse: It is SO good. I’m only at about 20% but loving it. They are all SO messed up…
Sadie: Yes, I can’t put it down. I’m at 30%. I can’t stop thinking about it. It’s creepy. so well written. and i love unreliable narrators! because your brain is constantly spinning
She is EXACTLY right!
And here “Five New Releases”
- Kaleidoscope Hearts by Claire Contreras <— BROTHER’S BEST FRIEND ALERT! And it’s being released at a super-sale price!! Sounds angsty! “He was my older brother’s best friend. He was never supposed to be mine…” Kathy says: “Started it last night and am loving it!”
- FALL by Cora Brent <— She’s got issues. Him too. 😉 “So why do I find myself drawn to the most dangerous one of all? Oversexed, foul-mouthed and ten years my senior, he should have been my nightmare. Instead, he’s my fantasy….”
- First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen <— Just released a couple of days ago and already a ton of great reviews! It doesn’t appear to be a romance, but I’m finding I’m branching out on these deep, crazy, convoluted, but fun “everyone-is-connected” reads and this appears to be one of ’em! Plus I’m a sucker for apples on a book cover. I don’t even know why. *shakes head* “Autumn has finally arrived in the small town of Bascom, North Carolina, heralded by a strange old man appearing with a beat-up suitcase. He has stories to tell, stories that could change the lives of the Waverley women forever…”
- Possession: Club X #3 by K.M. Scott <— He’s the “bastard son” of a wealthy guy but he grew up abandoned and not so wealthy… and SHE is going to be dancing in his club… “Abbi Linde can’t seem to get a break. Too many bad men and bad choices have left her bruised and broken, but the opportunity to dance at Club X could change everything. For the first time, she might be able to make a life for herself and find the happiness she longs for…”
- The Substitute: The Wedding Pact #1 by Denise Grover Swank <— much loved author that writes all sorts of genres! YAY I love this kind of story. She’s still faking her (now broken-off) engagement for her parents… and “…when she passes out before landing, he helps her off the plane–a good deed that leads to a colossal misunderstanding. Her parents assume he’s her fiancé. In a twist of fate, the mix-up might help Josh save his business, so he plays along, figuring he can help Megan too. All he has to do is stage a public break up convincing enough to appease her mother…. “