*squeeeeeee!!!* Hot on the heels of my latest fantastic romance read, “Love, in English” (<— my review, and yes, I’m still in a love fog), and I just lucked-out, big time! I’ve got some goodies for us. A giveaway for this very book (actually two giveaways, and some fun swag), plus some “insider” intel, including five fun facts about the story behind the story, some of Karina’s personal photos and the book trailer.
Oooooh the juiciness!! 😉
Karina Halle indulges us a little further in what inspired “Mateo and Vera”:
1. The program exists! It’s not called Las Palabras but any native English speaker can try and sign up for it and live out the Love, in English experience: http://www.diverbo.com/en/volunteer-abroad
2. I did the program – twice. The first time I was in the town of La Albera, Spain and the second time I was in Umbria, Italy…but still teaching English to Spaniards. It got…confusing.
3. Love, in English is inspired by my time in the program at La Alberca. In fact, the town of Alcantilado (fictional) is based on La Alberca. You can read more about the town in this travel article I wrote: http://www.gonomad.com/2098-la-alberca-spain-a-glimpse-of-yesterday
4. I consulted my diary for a lot of Part One of Love, in English. There were many people and events who inspired the book and made me think “what if?” I wanted to take the “what if this happened?” and make it happen. Also, stuff like the Mam and Chess sandwiches, the plays and presentations that took place, certain phrases “Sammy told me to tell you %^$ and if I told you that, she would show me hers,” the awards, the crazy summer camp atmosphere, it all actually happened.
5. It was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. No, I never met a hot ex-football star who resembles a beardy Eduardo Noriega but I made some great friends and learned a lot about myself. And of course, I thought “this would make an excellent book one day.”
LOL!! OMG that “Sammy scene” had me giggling like mad. And it was REAL!!?? Ahhhh to read just one page out of that diary. *hint hint* <— tee hee! 😛
Thank you SO much for these pictures, Karina. Your characters were already SO alive to me, but to sorta “see” ’em in images, has my heart soaring.
Karina you are SO lucky! Lucky to have been a part of something so… emotionally big (and now I just wanna hug you and comfort you for what it must have felt like to leave that beautiful bubble). What an amazing program to have been a part of. Now I know why some of those heartbreaking scenes felt so real (and tore my heart out). ‘Cause I bet she felt exactly that way.
*sigh* I love books like this. That come straight from the heart, and are inspired by personal experience.
And now TWO lucky winners here, will win a signed copy of this amazing read.
How to enter for a chance to win a signed print copy of “Love, in English”? I’d love to hear about your most amazing travel experience or memory. Or!! If you don’t have one, let me know where you’d love to visit. That’ll work! And Sunday night (Sunday April 27th, 2014) by 10pm EST, I will randomly select two winners.
The winners will be contacted and will have 48hrs to respond with a mailing address, so if you are picked, do not delay or you will lose your chance. This book will be sent to the winners directly by the author.
Open to US & Canada only however all are welcome to comment!
Oh! And here is the author’s gorgeous book trailer.