“I need a book recommendation. I need an alpha male or some unrequited love to make me feel better. It seems I’ve been reading emotionally draining (just finished Raw) and stress inducing books lately. I’m searching for a book to make me feel like Wallbanger did. Something well written, funny, and steamy. I’m asking for too much, aren’t I? At any rate, help! Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome! “
Yep… right there with you Jennifer! But for me, it doesn’t have to be comedy-romance, but definitely upbeat (or witty) as well as plenty of romantic pining in the “he’s hard-to-get” area. You know… a la “Kristen Ashley”.
I’m in the mood to read a book where the characters are adults (or at least pretty well into it), the girl has a big crush, and the alpha is well… a little harder to get? Maybe doesn’t quite give up his alpha-bad-boy status so fast. That would be awesome!
For example, in Kristen Ashley’s books… something like when she (“she” being us, 😉 ’cause that’s how Kristen Ashley’s books read) was:
- crushing on Mitch (the cop in Law Man (Dream Man)) in and he was amused with her cute crush. Or!!
- When she was really into Hawk (the mercenary in Mystery Man (Dream Man)), and he was all… *shrug* “I’ll see you when I see you…” <— GAH!!! or
- when she was into “Tack” (in Motorcycle Man (Dream Man)) and he was all… “baby you gave it away too quickly so that’s what happens…” <— OH NO HE DIDN’T!!! ROAR!!!!! (and fun!!) *smirk*
- Or like when she was hopelessly in love with Ham (the drifter bad-boy in Jagged (Colorado Mountain), who was her “on and off again” for years, but never wanting to commit to her. Even having a few other girlfriends in other towns. It was good the way it was, he insisted, and he didn’t want to be tied down. Ugh! My heart. I mean her heart!
Hehe. Can you tell one of my all time favorite series is the “Dream Man” series. 😉 Yep. They gave me goosebumps. I swooned as I crushed with her, I *squeed* as she finally, you know… caught his eye 😉 and then I huffed in outrage when he was mostly… nonchalant about the whole thing. Always a great start to a kick-ass potential love story when we (the readers) have to work for it. And often, HE ends up having to work for it, too.
So what I’m asking is… more please!!! It doesn’t have to be Kristen Ashley (although I’m thinking of sifting through my collection and dusting off another, because I love her books so much and they always hit the spot!) but if you guys know of just the book I’m looking for, I’m all ears! 😀
Carla: Maryse, I just read a book that is totally unrequited and I love it! I had to tell you! I never heard about this one before, probably because it’s from 1996. Anyway, this is about a convenience marriage, but with time she falls in love with him, even though he treats her like shit. God! He’s such a jerk, actually he can be even cruel sometimes… but I love it! Oh of course, I’m talking about Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Have you read it?
Brooke: Wow I cant believe the Avoiding series by KA Linde isnt on that list. Probably the best unrequited and angst ridden series Ive ever read.
Romantic Love Reader: There is a contemporary romance novel called, For A Lifetime by Dallacey E Green. Anthony is an alpha male while Sapphire is a strong, yet sweet innocent. It is a really great book!!! Here is the story line.
Sapphire has experienced a lot of financial difficulties and she feels as though she will not be able to support her mother or her younger brother Jimmy. When all hope seems lost she is offered a job as a nanny from a rich and successful owner of a photography magazine, Anthony Black. Sapphire should be excited, only she has never really liked Anthony, they have never truly gotten along and she had always been in love with Anthony’s twin brother Andre. So why instead of making her his nanny, had Anthony asked Sapphire for her hand in marriage, a marriage for a lifetime?
Sandra: Deena, check Broken by A.E Murphy. Very angsty, and the hero is completely smitten.
Samantha: Broken by A. E. Murphy—HOLYYYYYYYYYYY CRAP!! Fantastic, and weird, and angsty, and so sad. Can’t wait to get started on the 2nd one! Worth a read you guys!!!
Deena: Thank you so much Sandra! Will definitely check it out. Any other recommendations are welcomed :))
Reader Recommendations (from below in the comments AND our Facebook page):
- Creed (Unfinished Heroes) by Kristen Ashley
- Rock Chick Series by Kristen Ashley
- Jake Undone (A Gemini Novel) by Penelope Ward
Jen: Jake Undone is unrequited for the first half…she wants him and he gives off mixed signals and won’t actually let himself touch her…she wants it but he keeps a distance. It was a great book. Lots of stuff going on and once they finally are together, there are more obstacles of course! Highly recommend it.
- Play It Safe by Kristen Ashley
- Heaven and Hell by Kristen Ashley
- Rule: A Marked Men Novel by Jay Crownover
- Wild by Adriane Leigh
- Catch (Assassins #1) by S. Poirier
- All of Me by Gina Sorelle
- Corps Security Series by Harper Sloan
- Before Jamaica Lane (Dublin Street) by Samantha Young
- Friends Without Benefits (Knitting in the City) by Penny Reid
- Unforgiven by Elizabeth Finn
- Black Knights Inc. Series by Julie Ann Walker
- Pieces of Perfect by Elizabeth Hayley
- Push the Envelope (Blythe College) by Rochelle Paige
- Until November (Until series) by Aurora Rose Reynolds
- Used (Unlovable, #1) (Unlovable Series) by Lynetta Halat <—- THIS is the one I’m reading right now. So good so far!!!
- Fixed Trilogy Reading Order by Laurelin Page
- Redneck Ex by Claire Croxton
- Naked Werewolf Series by Molly Harper