YAY IT’S TIME FOR JOY’S LIST!!! Her comments always bring me joy, and I love that she’s one of my resident book recommenders whenever we’re putting together a “genre” or trope list!! Also, she’s pretty great at answering reader questions too. 😀
Here are just a few of her 2020 comment highlights:
Insta love books are my jam!
HER CURLY GIRL METHOD: I purchased that book when it was the deal of the day/ I’ve only skimmed through it. I started doing the rice wash that is followed by the Women of the Yao tribe in China. Its been two weeks and I’ve seen a huge change in my hair!!!
I’m African American and have no chemicals in my hair. I stopped using chemical relaxers, 7 years ago and it was a great decision. Most women of my culture use relaxers because we don’t know how to style our hair in it’s natural texture and a chemical relaxer makes it much easier (so I thought). Now that I’m a curly girl, Ive learned that managing my own texture is much easier and costs a great deal less than what I spent, going to the hair salon to get it done professionally! Thousands less.
All I use now is a bit of organic shea butter for moisture, Aveda liquid gel and Paul Mitchell’s foaming pomade and I’ve got a head full of well defined curls after finger combing it.Most days, I wear it in a huge afro puff on top of my head because its too thick to let it hang in the heat. Check out the Yao method. Vogue Magazine did an article and video of them interviewing the women about their method.
HER LOVE OF GOOGLING: Hi Maryse! I’ve been looking at the First Reads choices for this month and my interest was piqued when I got to The Empress: A Novel! I love a good historical romance. This one is about Empress Charlotte of Mexico.
Hadn’t heard of her before, so I did what any teenager would do, lol! I Googled her.
Wasn’t Well, she led a fascinating life! Born into privilege, said to be gorgeous and sought after by many and she married for love, not obligation! Her life had mother-in-law and sister-in-law drama, her husband’s lack of concern for ruling the country, intrigue and gossip. To top it off, the castle that her husband built (Chapultapec Castle) in Mexico City is absolutely stunning! I’m still on the fence about my choice for this month (I’m loyal to Alessandra Torre), so I may buy it if I choose a different book.
And now… Joy’s Best Books of 2020:
I’m super late with my best reads of 2020! This election stuff has me in a funk. I live in the DC area and the violence on the 6th and possible further violence has me on edge. Reading has been my source of comfort during the pandemic!
So, here’s my list of books that kept me in happy mood! I always read people’s best of lists on your site and try to list books that hadn’t been mentioned.
I have 21 mentions, with some being a series of books.
- Alpha Lords Series by Delta James <— Werewolves and Dragons work together to save Britannia!
- Not My Romeo by Ilsa Madden Mills
- Without You by Marley Valentine <— M/M
- Famine (The Four Horsemen Book 4) by Laura Thalassa
- Her Elemental Dragons Series by Elizabeth Briggs
- Quarantine Omegas Series by Lizzy Bequin
- Tales From Verania Series by TJ Klune <— I couldn’t stop laughing!
Joy: Just finished TJ Klune’s Tales From Verania series! OMG, I LOVED EVERY BIT OF THIS SERIES! It’s M/M and the cast of characters are BFF’s and were absolutely hilarious.
- There’s Sam, the wizard apprentice with a destiny of uniting the Dragons of Verania to help him defeat a dark villain.
- Knight Delicious Face, the commander of the royal army and Sam’s cornerstone/soulmate.
- Kevin the Dragon is the Beast from the East, whose favorite statement is, “Once you go Dragon, all the rest is laggin”! Kevin’s soulmate is a narcissistic Unicorn, named Gary (they refer to sex as a visit to Gary’s bakery, lol)
- and the adorable, loving, half-giant, named Tiggy!
There’s so much familial love and adoration between Sam and his loved ones that I laughed & smiled through all four books!
- Werelock Evolution Series by Hettie Ivers
- Sea of Ruin by Pam Godwin <— Best pirate book I’ve read!
- Beautifully Cruel by JT Geissinger
Joy: Hi everyone! Maryse, I’m reading Beautifully Cruel and am into it soooooo hard! I’m picturing Stuart Reardon as Liam! He’s all sorts of yumminess, has loads of tats and I think he’s of Irish descent. I can’t wait to see where this story goes.
Stacy: I read Beautifully Cruel earlier this week and loved it!
- The Slay Quartet by Laurelin Paige
- Born In Blood Mafia Chronicles by Cora Reilly
- The Last Riders MC Series by Jamie Begley
- After The Fall: Fallen Men Book 4 by Giana Darling
- Sworn To The Shadow God by Ruby Dixon
- Wolves of Crimson Hollow Series by M. H. Soars
- Knights Rebels MC Series by River Savage
- On My Knees Duet by Ella James <— M/M
- Swallow It Down by Addison Cain
- Dream Maker by Kristen Ashley
Honourable Mention: The House In The Cerulean Sea. This is such a feel good book. You fall in love with each of these characters! You see how the magical children are raised so lovingly by their caretaker, (Arthur Parnassus) and how they come to love the man that was sent to investigate their home as he grows to love them!
Love Joy’s book taste? Check out more of her favorites:
➔➔➔ Looking for more of our favorite recommendations? Browse our “Ultimate Favorites Lists” here. Are you in the mood for a certain kind of story? Browse our favorite “genre/trope categories” here and our reader favorites lists too.
➔➔➔ Do you have your “Best of 2020 list” for us? Send it to me here. 😀