Ohhhh!! This is an interesting reader question, and I have NO clue what else would be suited, but I’m sure a ton of you do. This would almost be like a “What to Read After…” type of list. Calling all fantasy lovers!
“I’m looking for books that are like the Daenerys (Khaleesi) and Khal Drogo relationship from A Game of Thrones. I’ve read The Golden Dynasty by Kristin Ashley, which is very similar, and LOVED it! Any suggestions?”
And sure enough a bunch from our Facebook crew have jumped on this list’s bandwagon wanting some suggestions, too! And offering some. 😀
Niki: Oooooooh, following!!!!!!!
Bethany: That’s the only one I can think of, The Golden Dynasty. Would love to know more too! 🙂
Maryse’s Book Blog: Me too! I have NO clue what else to suggest… I haven’t read many in this genre (well, actually only one. KA’s. 😉 ) But I’d love to know more. P.S. Here is my review of The Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley.
Melissa: I would love to read those too!!
Magan: Wait…this isn’t the brother and sister who bone…is it?
Lori: Loved the Dax, I’m in!! Following
Marisa: No Magan, that’s Cersi and Jamie. Khaleesi is the mother of dragons and Khal Drogo was her husband who died by the witch
Maryse’s Book Blog: LOL Magan. What’s boning? 😉 P.S. Kristen Ashley’s has none of that.
Eve: Bahaha loved golden dynasty I need more of that too
Keryn: Just looked up The Golden Dynasty – did you read the series in order or can you read them as one off books?
Maryse: Keryn, I only read The Golden Dynasty out of that series, and had no problems following, so it reads perfectly as a standalone.
Sherida: How About Transcendence by shay savage. Not entirely the same but it does depict two completely different people with no understanding or knowledge of each other’s customs and ideas but trying to make it work
Maryse: Ohhhh yes!! Another one that I LOVED and reviewed. Great suggestion, Sherida! Here’s my review of Transcendence by Shay Savage.
YAY! So we have a few recommendations from our Facebook crew so far, but I’d LOVE to add to this list.
LATEST UPDATES: 07-18-2019
Yvonne: I’m reading The Tairen Soul Series by C.L Wilson right now…..it’s fantasy…more about the Fae however but along the same lines.
MichelleS: Well, you know you can’t throw Tairen Soul out there and have me not say anything, right???? It is not like Golden Dynasty – but it is an amazing fantasy series. best ever, in my opinion.
…It’s my number one favorite epic fantasy series ever!!! 5 books – so it’s a commitment… But when in the mood, go for it. It’s amazing.
Melanie: Sommer – The Fae Chronicles are AWESOME!!! I am dying for the next book. And thanks to all the suggestions. I just one clicked 3, found one sitting in my kindle unread, and added 2 more to my audible wish list. I am pumped!
Samantha: David Eddings The Belgariad series first book Pawn of Prophecy: The Belgariad, Book 1!
Cindy: I would recommend any of the Fantasyland books by Kristen Ashley as well. They have a similar feel and the setting is so fun! They provide an awesome escape from the everyday!!
MH: Nothing will ever quite match up to Golden Dynasty, but for those who read it and didn’t read the rest of Kristen Ashley’s Fantasyland series, what are you waiting for?!
Jeannie: I loved C.L. Wilson’s Tairen Soul series! Her newest book, The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral Book 1) (first in a series but it IS a standalone), was amazing too. I cried so much throughout it, but what a beautiful story! I was in a book funk for a few days after that. Definitely would recommend that for those looking for fantasy world building and romance.
Booklady: I just finished reading “The Warlord’s Wife (A Sons of the North Romance Book 1)” by Sandra Lake. Although the female character had a little more freedom than Cerci in The Golden Dynasty (that I LOVED), she definitive was backed into a corner and could not refuse his offer. The writing is good, the story keeps you wanting to learn more and their relationship is hot.
Debbie: My favorites have already been listed, but here are some books you may consider. I’ve really enjoyed Sarah Maas’s Throne of Glass series, even though it is YA. Another good YA series would be Iron Fey from Julie Kagawa…
Tessa: OMG, OMG, OMG, if you want to read the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa (Highly recommend it!),…It’s worth a try for any lovers of Fae, YA, or fantasy. *spins*
Amy: Yep, I’m agreeing with Tessa…Iron Fey series is GREAT.
Debbie: You may enjoy:
- Betrothed by Jill Myles (now re-titled: Queen of Blood)
- Dragon Rose (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms Book 1) by Christine Pope,
- the After the Crash series by Maddy Barone,
- Eve of Samhain (you have to give this one a few chapters),
- the Velesi Trilogy by L. Filloon,
- the Courtlight series by Terah Edun,
- Broken Aro (The Broken Ones Book 1) by Jen Wylie, and
- Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales Book 1) by K. M. Shea,
- Poison Study (Soulfinders Book 1) by Maria Snyder, and
- Best Served Cold (Set in the World of The First Law) by Joe Abercrombie
Jenna: Shadow Fires by Catherine Spangler!!! There is a whole series but this is the only one that I and it was goooood!
Debbie: Some additions….
- The Winter King by CL Wilson,
- Paladin by Sally Slater,
- The Kiss of Deception: The Remnant Chronicles, Book One, and
- Touch of Power (The Healer Series Book 1) by Maria Snyder
MH: There are books by Laurann Dohnner (Cyborgs and Zorn’s Warriors) that have that otherworldly/fish out of water quality with alpha males and fighting heroines. Way more sex than your average Johanna Lyndsay or highlander type book though so if you’re a fragile flower, don’t go there. There’s also some early work by Susanne Sizemore and Karen Marie Moning that involves time travel romance with alpha male types.
- Knights of Black Swan <— MichelleS suggests this one: “Okay – for more of the “she was thrown into a barbarian society” or “a trip to another universe” kind of GD feel? I’d say Knights of Black Swan series. And the bonus there? You get Rammel Hawking – only the hottest freaking elf ever written (fanning self).”
- Highlander Series by Karen Marie Moning <— MichelleS is a BIG fan of the genre so I’m very happy she jumped in on this one! She also suggests: “Let’s see – I think that Karen Marie Moning’s Highlanders are similar in feeling – fun, sexy, alpha, sometimes the girl is thrown into the past, some paranormal “stuff”.”
- Reluctant Concubine (Hardstorm Saga Book 1) by Dana Marton <— And she found us this one, too! MichelleS: “I also read one called The Reluctant Concubine (Hardstorm Saga #1) – that had a similar feel. Not as much “fun” – more serious, for sure, but same concept of a gentle girl (a healer) finding herself sold to some barbarians in another land, and right into the hands of the warlord himself!”
- The Dragonbone Chair: Book One of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams <— Christine recommends this one saying: “One of my favorites, although rated PG-13, is amazing. The book series is called the Dragonbone Chair series by Tad Williams. There is a love story and the main character, as described, is Jaime Fraser-like.”
- The Conqueror (The deWarenne Dynasty Book 1) by Brenda Joyce <— Sharon says: “Try reading ‘The Conquerer’ by Brenda Joyce.”
- Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands Book 1) by Elizabeth Vaughn <— Anna suggests this one, saying:
Anna: Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughn there are four books in this series. It’s similar to Golden Dynasty.
Jenna: “I second Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughn.
- Kushiel’s Dart (Kushiel’s Legacy Book 1) by Jacqueline Carey <— Raven suggests:
Raven: Jacqueline Carey’s Phèdre’s Trilogy and Imriel’s Trilogy. It has the same great world building and the court intrigue. Sex scenes are hot. Phèdre’s Trilogy starts with Kushiel’s Dart”
Sophia: Raven… thanks for that suggestion! Just one clicked on amazon 🙂 Never heard of Kushiel’s dart before but it has some great reviews… also it’s 900 pages long, so good to buy before a long weekend.
Thanks again Raven!
- Radiance (Wraith Kings Book 1) by Grace Draven <— And this one is Eliza’s suggestion! “Radiance (Wraith Kings, Book 1) by Grace Draven…not a cliff hanger. She is a writer who has a lyrical bent. This particular book is wonderful right from the start. Check out her other books they have a similar bent, two people who are very different finding each other.”
- Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changelings, Book 1) (Psy/Changeling Series) by Nalini Singh <— And Eliza recommends this one, too. “My other suggestion is Nalini Sing’s Psy Changeling Series, as well as her Lord of the Abyss & Desert Warrior (Royal House of Shadows) which now seems to be the start of a series – a change since I read it – since the title has been added to. I knew it as Lord of the Abyss, it’s no cliff hanger, it can stand alone. Enjoy!”
- Warrior’s Woman (Ly-san-ter Book 1) by Johanna Lindsey <— And Tessa recommends these!
Tessa: Johanna Lindsey’s Ly’San Ter Family Saga. It’s a sci-fi romance series, but it is still a civilized female/ barbarian male series. It’s one of those I read a billion times as a teen.
- Pathfinder’s Way: A Novel of the Broken Lands by T.A. White <— Danylle recommends it!
Danylle: …I finally found a book that I couldn’t stay silent about. I love novels like Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan and The Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley and I’ve finally found one that has the same pizazz. All it took was one read through of the summary and I was sold. I one clicked. I just wanted to bring this jewel to your attention. I hope you enjoy it. The book is Pathfinder’s Way by T.A. White.
Jennifer: Whoever recommended Pathfinder’s Way last week by T.A. White thank you! great fantasy book with a bit of romance that just sucked me in. Love strong female characters with extraordinary abilities.