Reader Confession – That time R.L. Mathewson was there for me when I needed her most…

by Maryse on October 11, 2017 · 15 comments

in Editorial

R.L. Mathewson & me. It was 2012, but to me, it feels like yesterday. <3 :)

Oh yes… it’s another one of my own personal “reader confessions”. ;) But I think this one is long overdue.

R.L. Mathewson wrote a heartfelt post on my personal Facebook page that had me in tears. And so… I had to tell her (and now you all)…

…this:

To R.L. Mathewson:

Okay, I’ll confess how you saved me…

When I wrote that “mini review” of the first book that I had ever read, of yours (a gem I felt like I just lucked-out upon) I couldn’t fully “write” the review, but just had to tell everyone about your books. The reason was, I was heading to Canada that morning. My dad was dying, and I was going to Canada to say goodbye.

My daddy and me.

I continued to read you… while I stayed with him in his Hospital room. And while he slept, your joyous, REAL characters, kept me company. So you were with me, throughout all of that. <3. I don’t know that I ever told anyone that.

It was R.L. Mathewson that kept me company through a sad moment in my life.

P.S. Here are my reviews from way back then…

Now… tell me your most touching “reader confession”. Please? :)

D.G. October 11, 2017 at 7:24 PM

Maryse, you gave me tears! *sniffles*

Maryse October 11, 2017 at 7:31 PM

<3 :)

*snuggles D.G.*

Grey October 11, 2017 at 8:03 PM

*puppy piles Maryse* Love you!

I think my most touching reader confession is that I have made these friendships… real friendships with women all over the world. People, that for the grace of God, I would never have gotten to know, without the power of the written word. To me… that is worth so much. *You all* mean so much to me. *happy tears* <3

Maryse October 11, 2017 at 8:05 PM

*snuggles Grey*

I ADORE YOU GUYS!!!!!! I feel the exact same way. My books, and our group, and our book world, is exactly what I escape to, every day. And happily-so.

:D

Kooloo October 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM

Oh Maryse *blinks away tears* seeee this is WHY I LOVE this blog and all YOU beautiful ladies *wipes snotty nose with back of sleeve*

Micki Basile October 11, 2017 at 9:37 PM

Maryse,
Big hugs!

Cait Connolly October 12, 2017 at 6:15 AM

Ahh that was a tough journey to make Maryse but it’s amazing how silent company helped you! She’s a few tears there

Leslie M October 12, 2017 at 6:50 AM

Maryse, that pic is beautiful. I have no words. Just big fat hugs for you.

Grey, I agree! How wonderful to have “met” so many new friends because of our love for books and our fabulous host Maryse.

D.G. October 12, 2017 at 7:58 PM

*snuggles Maryse and Grey back*

Grey and Leslie- I agree too! All of ya’ll are the best for my book-loving soul!

Ann October 13, 2017 at 3:45 AM

Maryse and all of you guys saved me!
Waiting for my new apartment to be ready,I moved back home. I put all of my books in storage. Then I was diagnosed with the big C. The doctor said I couldn’t read library books because it was too dangerous. My immune system couldn’t battle the germs in them. I was in tears, I could barely handle all the other sh#t but not being able to read, a total nightmare. My mother bought me a kindle. With my chemohead I tried to figure out how it worked and what to put on it. And so I found your blog and what a treasure it was. You, my fellow readers and my favourite book heroes were there with me in my hospital room. I cried and puked a lot but sometimes I also laughed and got carried away to a better place. So a big thank you to everybody, greetings from Belgium

JulieO October 14, 2017 at 4:45 AM

I look forward to reading your blog and everyone’s comments everyday.
Five years ago my father died.
Then my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers.
My mother in law passed away and my sister in law.
Even my yellow lab.
My husband was hospitalized two years ago and the found liver cancer and he passed.
And then last year my mom succumbed to lung cancer which she had had for awhile and she had never smoked.
Consequently I have had to settle two households and sell two homes and lived through depression. Don’t know what I would have done without my daughter who literally called me or came and made me get out of bed everyday.
I discovered Maryse at the beginning of this hell and don’t know what I would have done without the books and all of your chatter. Took me away to another world and gave me some much needed peace. So thank you everybody for being there.
Things are looking up. I am moving next month to a new city and a new house and starting a new life. Me and my 2 cocker spaniels, Pepper and Gracie, and I can honestly say that life is starting to be good again.

Ann October 14, 2017 at 6:07 AM

Hey Julie, best of luck with the new start. Big hugs.

Maryse October 14, 2017 at 9:14 AM

Thank you so much for being with us JulieO and I can’t believe all you have been through. I can’t even imagine that… *hug*

But I am thrilled to hear that life is looking up again, my friend. You deserve peace and happiness. <3

Maryse October 14, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Oh my goodness Ann!!!!

I am so glad you are with us, too. What a trying time that must have been for you, and yet here you are. Part of our beloved book crew, and we all now have a wonderful new friend.

*hug*

I’m so thankful for ALL of you.

Amy October 22, 2017 at 9:49 PM

Okay, so I’m sitting here crying. Literally.

Maryse. That picture of you and your Daddy. Absolutely heartbreakingly beautiful. What a treasure to have something tangible from your time with him at the end.

Then I read Ann and JulieO’s experiences and how much the blog and all of our chatter meant to them during their difficult time.

No words. I love you all.