Friday Finds & Reader Recommendations – 01-25-19

by Maryse on January 25, 2019 · 114 comments

in eBook Deals

SUNDAY BREAKING NEWS UPDATE!!! I just posted my latest review. ;) ➔ Book Review – When Ashes Fall by Marni Mann

Holy moly I can’t believe we’re already well into 2019, so much so, that I’m not writing 2018 anymore!! :P This list is incredible today!! Over 35 books and most of ‘em are reader recommendations (my favorite!!) :D

But first! Some highlights of the week:

• BREAKING NEWS UPDATE!! The Mister by E.L. JAMES ALERT!!!This one’s up for preorder and coming out in just a couple of months! P.S. We have a VERY good question by Jessa about this one, and I’m curious too! ➔➔➔
Jessa: Do we know what the relation is between Max and Christian’s mother/father’s family? (Grace and Carrick) Since they share the same last name?

TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT WE FOUND FOR THE WEEKEND :D !!

Robyn: Maryse and everyone, I’m soooo excited to tell you about a book I just finished! It’s called If by Randi Cooley Wilson. This is the first book I’ve read by this author, and OMG what a book. It reminds me a little of the Avoiding series by KA Linde. The main characters meet freshman year of college.

Oh the angst with these two! Eeek! It’s never the right time for them. I don’t want to give anything away, it’s that good. This book is right up there with Unbreak My Heart by Nicole Jacquelyn. Now if you know anything about me, that is one of my all time favorite books and nothing can top it. If is giving it a run for the money. You guys have to read this glorious book!

• The Banker by Penelope Sky <— Recent release and now we have feedback!! MichelleS is LOVING it!

MichelleS: I started The Banker & im almost done! Squee. So good. Setting – Italy, Florence & Tuscany. Characters – seedy, wicked, gangster types. Plot – to save her dad, get close to & betray the worst of them. And he’s a real doozy. Hot alpha alert!

Jan: Last night I realised there is a NEW PAGANO BROTHERS book out. Sweeet. Hidden Worthiness by Susan Fanetti. It came out earlier this month but somehow I missed it. Anyhoo, I’m already totally hooked and can’t seem to stop reading. Scarred mafia man and ballerina. :D

Lisa M: Mine mine mine!! I’ve been waiting for book 2 so The Princess is up first. Lisa Renee Jones has the best Alpha males.

Mary Beth: I love Lisa Renee Jones. Her books are captivating and I find them hard to put down.

MichelleS: I’m currently reading Ruined (McIntyre Body Guards Series 6). Was on someone’s list somewhere! Loving it. It’s a m/m, done so well. AND it’s younger/older… loving it.
  • One Day in December: A Novel by Josie Silver <— OMG BLURB JOLT ALERT!! Back on the list ’cause I keep hearing how awesome this one is, and here’s another recommendation! AND… Dena recommends it and wants MORE LIKE IT!!!

Dena: Hi guys! I just finished reading One day in december by Josie Silver and I loved it. I am a big sucker for these type of books.

Can someone recommend me books like this? With theme where hero and heroine loved each other for a long time? I read The opportunist, A love letter to whiskey which were a bit similar. Thanks for any recommendation!

Virginia: Redemption Lane by Rachel Blaufeld is on sale…. Loved it!!
  • The Kiss Thief by L.J. Shen <— BULLY BOOK ALERT!! Back on the list ’cause D.G. is LOVING it!
D.G.: Hello!!! Soooooo….I started reading The Kiss Thief earlier today and I am HOOKED!!! My catnip…bully and arranged marriage. Not too far in yet but that Wolfe is a big ole meanie!
Jean: LOVED, LOVED, LOVED MARLEY (3RD book in Carnage series)….. it made the whole series for me!!!!!!!! Glad I stuck with it even after not being thrilled with book 1…..so worth it to get Marley’s POV!! (Thanks Paula for pushing me and getting me to stick with it)
Steph N: I read My Half Night Stand and LOVED LOVED LOVED it.
  • Cry Baby by Ginger Scott <— GANG MEMBER & THE NEW GIRL IN TOWN ALERT!!!  While Pia was sick, this one kept her company and she loved it!

Pia: I finished Cry Baby by Ginger Scott a couple of days ago. I went in blind and it was one of the best reads in a long time. The story is about a gang member and the new girl in the neighborhood.Not your typical HEA but the perfect ending in my opinion. I can’t seem to let this one go. I have startet a new book but I still keep thinking about Cry Baby and wishing I could stay in their world a little longer. I highly recommend this one…

• Forever Winter by Alexa Riley <— The latest by Alexa Riley is LIVE!! TOTAL BLURB JOLT!!! They met but lost each other amidst fire alarm chaos…

“…Bo has been searching for the woman of his dreams for four long months. When his brother Cory’s fiancée shows up at the family estate pregnant, his world is turned upside down…”

MichelleS: I’m reading Year One, by Nora Roberts. Already hooked. Post Apocalyptic, mixed with Irish “Magick”… characters I already love…. so so good. Haven’t read her in years. Forgot how great a writer she is. …Haven’t thrown peanuts in FOREVER! I’m throwing Nay a stack of peanuts – for Year One! There.

Nay: MichelleS–I will definitely read that–thank you! Y’all probably won’t believe it, but I don’t think I’ve ever read a Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb book.

Tessa: MichelleS, I keep wanting to read that! So much. I used to read her all the time, but she’s so prolific it gets expensive. lol I was kicking myself for seeing the sale on Year One the day after it ended. *sniffles* It sounds so good, and now Irish myth? *Whimpers* I WANT!

Kathy P: for those of you with teenage daughters or who like YA books, my daughter and I read A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi. It takes place a year after 9/11. We loved it but both wish it had an epilogue at end. But we would still give it 5 stars.

Nay: I HIGHLY recommend the 44 Chapters series by B.B. Easton if you’re looking for a coming of age series that’s full of non-stop excitement (sex, drugs, romance, fast cars, rock ‘n roll).

The books are based on B.B. Easton’s life from 15 on (although she’s 15, these are NOT YA), and each book features the story of her life during the time she’s dating a different boyfriend.

They are well written and edited and are full of non-stop wild tales of a young girl who’s learning EVERYTHING about life and love (I don’t see how she made it through her junior and senior years of high school!)

I LOVED book #1, Skin, and I’m almost finished with book #2, Speed, and I’m loving it just as much. Star is next and I don’t think I can stop!

Laura: Wow!! I just finished Welcome to the Dark Side by Giana Darling, which I found by reading this list. Stayed up all night and bawled my way through the story. I just had to know if Louise lived. A fantastic SIX star read.

Anne: …for a little bit more of angst and drama, The Controversial Princess and His True Queen by Jodie Ellen Malpas. It’s everything and more!

A contemporary romance about the forbidden love that blooms between Adeline, the princess of england, and Josh, Hollywood’s latest heartthrob. You NEED to read this one.

• Seductive Nights: The Complete Julia and Clay Collection by Lauren Blakely <— LAUREN BLAKELY SERIES BUNDLE SUPER-BARGAIN ALERT!! “The Complete Julia and Clay Collection is a box set of all the books starring Julia and Clay in the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Seductive Nights Series. This box set includes First Night, Night After Night, After This Night, and One More Night. This is the ONLY Seductive Nights box set that includes the final Julia and Clay story, ONE MORE NIGHT.”
Pia: I’m a huge fan of Lauren Blakely and I have read most of her books. Started with the books in the Seductive Nights series and read 4 books in 4 days during af Holiday in Spain. Spain will always remind me of Lauren Blakely :-) But her books keep getting better and better and I cannot wait to start Sweet Sinful Nights. No one can write steamy scenes as Lauren Blakely and my expectations for Brent are high – if he is just half as sexy as Clay this will be a hot and delightful read.

AUDIOBOOK L:D VERS!

For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>

• ROCHELLE FOUND US A DEAL!!! She says:
Hi Maryse,
Wanted to let everyone know the Aublble is having a big sale … for many titles. Outlander and My Oxford year are both on that sale list.
R. Renee: Gah!!!!!!!!! I just (this very second) finished My Oxford Year on audio. Wow.
I just finished Bright Side and wow, it was a real tear jerker! I am listening to the audiobook version of Gus (usually it’s hard for me to get into audiobooks, but the male narrator in this book is phenomenal) and so far it’s good, but it is moving a bit slow paced. I plan to make my way through a lot of the suggestions here. I love these lists Maryse!

PREORDERS (going live soon!!!  :D )

➔➔➔  Get Maryse’s Book Blog updates delivered by email (you’ll get one daily email that will have each post from that day consolidated on it).

Sign up for my weekly newsletter

R. Renee January 25, 2019 at 7:30 AM

Happy Friday! I’m at the airport and they’re telling me it’s too early to serve bloody marys. In Texas. What is happening??

And speaking of audiobooks, I’m listening to Slaughterhouse Five. It’s narrated by Ethan Hawke and he’s fantastic. Wonder if he does anything else?

Maryse January 25, 2019 at 8:43 AM

Oh I LOVE him!!! How cool! Now I have to look it up…

Maryse January 25, 2019 at 8:44 AM

P.S. Maybe a Mimosa? ;)

R. Renee January 25, 2019 at 8:46 AM

At 7am I was able to get a double. All good now! :D

Jenn January 25, 2019 at 9:10 AM

Good Morning and Happy Friday-

R-Glad you got your drink :-) and a book narrated by Ethan Hawke-Yes Please :-) Safe Travels too :-)

Maryse-Great List and some I have been dying to read and can’t wait to get to them.

I am still reading Kulti-I feel like I have been reading this book forever. In my defense sometimes a long book can’t keep my attention because of all the distractions but I am in the last 30% of it after starting over two days ago and I LOVE IT. I normally am not a fan of the (h) having so much inner dialogue but with Sal I freaking love it. Another one of my favorite things are all the different names they call each other. I had to look up Schnecke to see what it meant and it means *slug* lol, I thank EVERYONE who pushed me to read this. :-)

Leslie M January 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM

Happy Friday! :)

Robin, I hope you have a great trip and tell Ms Scott that I still have random flashbacks/tear-ups from Bring Down the Stars.

I swear I have such a love/hate relationship with those emotional books. Everytime something reminds me of an old fave, I start to cry.

Yay to no storms this weekend!!

Jenn January 25, 2019 at 9:44 AM

OMG Leslie, I wish I could take a picture of outside and send to you; It is a complete blizzard where I work, I can’t get over it. I just talked to my brother in law that lives near me and he said at home the sun is shining. So thankfully not getting this at home. :-)

Michele G January 25, 2019 at 10:47 AM

I also give a shouyt out for how good Year One by Nora Roberts was! I’m currently reading/listening to the second one in the series, Of Blood and Bone. It’s also quite good and the romance that’s brewing in that one is going to be spectacular. The only bummer is having to wait for the next one to come out but I think it’s slated for November….

Michele G January 25, 2019 at 11:03 AM

And this is when I wish there was an edit button for posts…look I invented a new word “shouyt.” Ugh!

I hope everyone else is doing well. I just got home from 5 days in Jamaica. Yes, it was wonderful and yes, I’m now freezing my booty off! While I was there I was lucky enough to get to read an ARC of Daisy Jones & the Six by TJR. I absolutely LOVED it! It is written in a different format which bothered me at first (interview style to mimic a biographical recounting)…but I got swept away in the story and the format ceased to be an issue for me.

Tessa January 25, 2019 at 11:03 AM

ALRIGHT! That’s it! I’m getting Year One from the library tomorrow if they have it. It sounds too good to miss.

Only for Love… I’m confused. How old are the main characters? It sounds like high school, but those two look like they are in their late twenties, the guy may be in his thirties.

Tessa January 25, 2019 at 11:05 AM

*checks* If they have it when I get there. Of the 9 copies, 7 are checked out, one is at Northside, and the last is where I go. WOW. Um… wow.

Michele G January 25, 2019 at 11:07 AM

Oh and I’m thrilled R. got her DOUBLE Bloody Mary!
Jenn, I’m sorry about your snow!
And Maryse…that list up there is awesome! I’m looking forward to reading some of those!! “If” is definitely working it’s way to the top of my list…but I have to finish the Carnage books first!!

Jenn January 25, 2019 at 11:47 AM

Michele-so jealous…Jamaica. I have never traveled anywhere outside of the United States and even then only west coast states. I am a travel deprived brat!

Oh well I’ve been to Canada more times than I can count but for me that does not really count as less than two hours driving and I am crossing over the border :-)

Michele G January 25, 2019 at 12:46 PM

Good luck Tessa! I hope you get a copy!

Jenn, I won’t lie…it was really nice to be warm for a few days…But I’ve never been to Canada…so you’ve got me there ;-)

Robyn January 25, 2019 at 1:19 PM

So glad you put If up there Maryse! You guys have to read that book.

On to more good news. If you are into the Aces MC, Craving Vera by Nicole Jacquelyn just dropped. Love, love all her books. ***Glitter bombs everyone!!***

Suzanne Wright just put up a pre-order link to Dominic’s book from the Phoenix Pack series. It won’t come out until this summer. I have been waiting for his book. He’s my favorite character. So excited!

Lastly, I just found out Randi Cooley Wilson, who wrote If, that book I’ve been hounding everyone to read, is coming out with another contemporary romance called Shallow, this summer! The blurb was…How deep are you willing to go? EEEP!! She’s my new favorite author. No pre-order yet.

Robyn January 25, 2019 at 1:22 PM

The book by Suzanne Wright is called Untamed Deights. Sorry, I got excited! LOL

Maryse January 25, 2019 at 1:56 PM

LUCKY MICHELE G!!!! I LOVE that author!! :D

Maryse January 25, 2019 at 1:57 PM

LOL Jenn!!! What part of Canada are you the closest to?

R. Renee January 25, 2019 at 2:09 PM

I’ll tell her Leslie. I know she’ll be sorry she hurt you! :D

It was a good bloody! And necessary. The turbulence ugh!

Tessa January 25, 2019 at 2:14 PM

Robyn, YAY! I still have more of the two series, Mercury and Phoenix, to read, but I the second or third book I started looking for Dominic’s book. He’s so awesome and he makes me laugh so much. His reaction every time Roni dishes his crap back, though? Priceless!

LisafromDFW January 25, 2019 at 2:20 PM

I hate having to pee on the plane. So with my micro bladder….no alcohol before flights. :(

Jenn January 25, 2019 at 2:32 PM

Maryse-I know it as Niagara Falls but I believe it is Ontario and as a kid we would vacation in Toronto which I LOVE and that is about 4-4-1/2 hour drive. I am in NY and it actually will take me longer to drive to New York City than Canada which is just crazy to me. I am 6 hours from NYC.

Tessa January 25, 2019 at 4:02 PM

That’s how it was for me growing up. I’ve only been outside the country to Mexico when I was a kid, last time when I was 13. At the time, it was only just above 100 miles away. To get from where I live now from then, it is over 350 miles. Though, seeing a country other than Mexico is on my bucket list. :)

Cheryl January 25, 2019 at 6:52 PM

TGIF!!! Sitting down with my friday pizza and BIG glass of wine. Not sure why, but I have a major case of grouchiness. Hoping the wine will help.

Several up there caught my interest and are also KU!! If, Work In Progress, and Her Lifeline. Although the brothers best friend and fake fiance/husband premise is getting a little old. IF is a standalone, right? Of course the Christina Lauren new one sounds great, but why are they always so pricey and never KU?!!

Cheryl January 25, 2019 at 7:40 PM

Funnily enough my local library has the latest Christina Lauren book -the actual book and the ebook of Josh and Hazel. YEH!!!!!

MichelleS January 25, 2019 at 8:16 PM

So many goodies up there! I’m downloading samples left & right.

I finished The Devil & gave it 5 stars. Cliffhanger alert. When is book two coming out? Crazy wicked good. Major mind fu*kery going on in this one. Sexy as all get out. What a tangled web she wove. Wish book two was on my Kindle right now.

Maryse January 25, 2019 at 9:04 PM

Libraries are AWESOME!!!!

Maryse January 25, 2019 at 9:05 PM

LOL Jenn!

I was raised in Ontario!!!

Born in Quebec, raised in Ontario (Toronto) as a child, then back to Quebec as a teen and my college years… and now Florida. ;)

Maryse January 25, 2019 at 9:07 PM

LOL LisafromDFW!!

I read “microBLADER” and I thought… what do eyebrows have to do with flying and alcohol? LOL!!

Sorry… I had a glass of wine. Or 3. *snort*

bev January 25, 2019 at 9:15 PM

Maryse did you give up snow for humidity?

Mona January 25, 2019 at 9:16 PM

I totally agree with D.G., The Kiss Thief was unputdownable (is that a word??) for me! Sooo good!! Also, I want to thank the person (I’m sorry I don’t remember who, or is it whom? I could never get that right!) that recommended The Ribs and Thigh Bones of Desire!! Ohmygoodness!! Forbidden-y. Professor survives plane crash that killed his wife and daughter. Sixteen year old babysitter asked to help him while he recuperates. This book got me out of my reading slump. Thank you Maryse and everyone for all of the favorites lists! I’m so excited with my looong TBR list! I’m off to read If now!

Melinda January 25, 2019 at 9:45 PM

Hi Everyone, it is so hot here. Yesterday was the hottest day in 5 years 111.4 and the day before was nearly the same. And today it very hot too.
I just finished reading Be that Girl. By K.A Tucker anything written by her is an instant one click. It’s a Bully book about a teenage girl. It is so good. Def 5 stars for me. The Kiss Thief and loved that too. I have to pack as we are going away next week for a month. I can’t wait.

MichelleS January 25, 2019 at 9:48 PM

Ribs & Thigh Bones WAS a good one! Was it Amy? Can’t remember, but it was definitely unputdownable.

Grey January 25, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Told you so, MichelleS… *Giggle*

Jenn…you must be crazy close to me. LOL. Small world! *Retreats back into the blankie fort*

*Ears perked up* Ribs and Tight Bones of Desire. Is this KU?

Robin, hug yourself and Emma for me. Love you both, so much!!

Got a bunch of reading to do this weekend. Posted the signups over at Goodreads for the challenge threads if people are interested for February!

JulieO January 26, 2019 at 6:58 AM

Nay…
I read all 4 books of B B Easton and loved them all. I will say, like you, don’t know how she survived the first boyfriend. Totally interesting though.

Leslie M January 26, 2019 at 9:06 AM

Melinda, where are you going??

Leslie M January 26, 2019 at 9:15 AM

Ok, so I just read Are You There God, it’s me Margaret for my “Time’s top 100″ in our challenge. So funny to re-read something from my childhood with an adult perspective. “We must, we must, we must increase our bust.” I feel so far removed from an 11 yr old girl, I could never write a realistic coming of age book. The silly things that seem so important… Anyway, it was fun. Maybe I need to pull out some Nancy Drew. ;)

Mona January 26, 2019 at 9:20 AM

Grey,
Yes, Ribs and Thigh Bones is KU!

Cheryl January 26, 2019 at 10:57 AM

OMG, just finished reading Hosed. If you want a hilarious over the top rom-com with a scene stealing raccoon named George Cooney, then I highly recommend it. There’s also a bonus epilogue in George’s POV.
“I’d do anything for Cucumber, Pickle, and Goober Smooch.” LOL!!!

MichelleS January 26, 2019 at 1:05 PM

I second the love for The Kiss Thief. Woo-eee-mama. Just started, but I’m hooked. That Wolfe is a big bad alpha. And everyone has secrets. Every page has me saying, “he did NOT just do that” or “he did NOT just say that”.

Amy January 26, 2019 at 1:20 PM

Good morning (afternoon for some of you?) my lovely ladies!

Yep, I did read Ribs and Thigh Bones. Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me. *sigh*

I started reading The Darkest Sunrise by Aly Martinez, and I have to say I am SO happy to be reading a book where I really don’t know where it’s heading, particularly after the heartbreaking event at the beginning. Didn’t some of you love this one?

Amy January 26, 2019 at 1:55 PM

Alright, so I’m looking at joining a roller derby league. If I do then I’ll need a name, so I’m trying to get as much input as I can.

Ideas, anyone?

R. Renee January 26, 2019 at 2:17 PM

I used to be obsessed with Austin roller derby! My favorite was Helen Wheels!! We need to come up with a book name for you!

bev January 26, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Peanut Crusher.

Melinda January 26, 2019 at 2:39 PM

Well it’s like 6am on a Sunday morning and I’ve been awake since. 4 am as I have some problems in my life at the moment and sooo I can’t sleep.

Leslie: I’m going to South America. Should be good to just get away for a while.

Amy, Roller Derby, I had to look it up as we don’t have that in Australia.
What about “The Bay City Rollers” showing my age.. but maybe unforgettable.

Amy January 26, 2019 at 2:42 PM

LOL!!!

And yes, I would LOVE a book-related name. It could be generated from a title or an author’s name.

So far the ones suggested and most agreed upon are Murderita and Rosie the Rioter. I wish I was creative enough to create a name myself, but I’m not and it SUCKS! I would have loved to be the first with a name like Helen Wheels!

Amy January 26, 2019 at 2:44 PM

Melinda, that would be perfect for a league name in a bay city! I just need a name for me. I have heard some of the most creative and hilarious names, so now I just need one for me. :D

R. Renee January 26, 2019 at 2:45 PM

I love Rosie the Rioter! There are so many derby leagues now I bet everything has been used before at some point!

What about Beautiful Disaster?? Bet that one is still original?

bev January 26, 2019 at 2:51 PM

She could tattoo her tongue.

bev January 26, 2019 at 2:52 PM

I’m horrible at these things too.

Melinda January 26, 2019 at 2:54 PM

Slammed

Melinda January 26, 2019 at 2:55 PM

Lol Bev

R. Renee January 26, 2019 at 2:56 PM

OMG I can’t believe how many book names there are! https://bookriot.com/2015/02/10/39-killer-literary-roller-derby-names/

bev January 26, 2019 at 3:00 PM

So, it has to be her unique name and registered.

bev January 26, 2019 at 3:05 PM

Looks like Beautiful Disaster and Rosie would be out, but no Murderita.

And I now have Paul McCartney singing in my head.

Tasha J January 26, 2019 at 3:08 PM

Some of these made me laugh, but are fun too. I like the ones you’ve already thought of though- Rosie the Rioter is good. https://bookriot.com/2015/02/10/39-killer-literary-roller-derby-names/

Tasha J January 26, 2019 at 3:08 PM

Great minds, R! ;)

Tasha J January 26, 2019 at 3:16 PM

Poison IV, cuz u like to stick em. LOL There’s a few fun nursing ones I found.

bev January 26, 2019 at 3:20 PM

Whoa. So to have a name the same or to close to another skater you have to have their permission.

I say you could be a Lilliputian of (fill in blank) and your number 6in.

Or

Murderita and your number 5 o’clock.

R. Renee January 26, 2019 at 3:32 PM

Omg Tasha! Poison IV is perfect!!

Melinda January 26, 2019 at 3:35 PM

I agree, poison IV is fantastic.

Amy we have chosen for you, hahaha

Amy January 26, 2019 at 3:37 PM

OMG you guys are being soooo helpful! :D

I’m loving the ones from the literary list, especially Emily Deckerson.

Poison IV? LOL!!!!

Hey, what about Helen Killer? Probably already taken though. So far Rosie is the one that has really stuck with me but I may not be able to use it like bev said.

My number will be either 5one (my height) or, again like bev said, 5 o’clock.

Amy January 26, 2019 at 3:38 PM

Lilliputian, bev? *snort*

bev January 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM

The only problem is the only pun/double entendre I can think to change it to is…..um….not good.

Amy January 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM

I am SO ready to go and kick some a$$ in roller skates. I’m attending the practice of a potential league tomorrow.

Amy January 26, 2019 at 3:40 PM

bev.

Now you HAVE to say it.

bev January 26, 2019 at 3:42 PM

Amy cant go in being a copy cat. If you click on the link in this article you can find how to check a potential name.
Shes got to kick ass from the start. :)

bev January 26, 2019 at 3:47 PM

I can only think of Puta or puttana……so.

Or Poutine! You could be a lillipoutine. Proclaim yourself as a small (gravy covered) frie. Of evil.

Amy January 26, 2019 at 3:59 PM

BAHAHAHAHA!!!

OMG both of those…something with puta in it or a gravy covered frie of evil?? I’m dying here…

Amy January 26, 2019 at 4:01 PM

Since we’re being inappropriate…remember Lorena Bobbitt?

I could be Lorena Kutcherkokoff.

R. Renee January 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM

LP canceled!!!! :(

Amy January 26, 2019 at 4:07 PM

Oh no, R…that’s awful. :cry:

bev January 26, 2019 at 4:35 PM

That’s disappointing.

Grey January 26, 2019 at 6:24 PM

Amy, you could be “Lemon Drop-it-like-it’s-hot”…or “Drop-you-like-you’re-not”…

Saturday night, blog party?

R…omg, that sucks sooo bad!

Amy January 26, 2019 at 7:22 PM

LOL Grey! I’m loving all the name recs.

I’ll be here. Hubby is out of town for training so I’m cozying up with some blackberry wine and my iPad tonight.

bev January 26, 2019 at 7:24 PM

Do you have a nickname you could use?

Cheryl January 26, 2019 at 7:51 PM

Getting ready to go out for drink with friends, which reminded me- Amy you’re our resident mixologist. What about something that goes with your 5′oclock?? 5′oclock shadow?? Or a drink name Amy the boilermaker. Absolut Amy… have to give it more thought while drinking!! LOL

Steph N January 26, 2019 at 8:52 PM

Renee! You were going to see LP? She cancelled? WHY? I bought tickets to see her the end of Feb and I’m making a weekend out of it because its 3 hours away. I’m going to be SUPER bummed if the same thing happens. I’m so sorry! I’m looking so forward to hearing her live.

I hope a few of you read My Half Night Stand. I got mine from the library and have since put a few more on hold.

There are lots of good sounding books up there. I was thinking I need to learn how to speed read but nah. I already have problems remembering books I’ve read. Does anyone else have that problem?

I’m off the next 3 days. I’m reading my banned book for the year long reading challenge over on GR.

Tessa January 26, 2019 at 9:30 PM

Books
Dannika Crest High
Bella Disaster
Samantha Half Blood

Non books
Delia Death

bev January 26, 2019 at 9:58 PM

You guys are so good at this.

Not a whore or potato in sight.

I wonder where Maryse is. She is usually good with a pun.

Tessa January 26, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Ima Wrecken. Probably a lot of Ima.

Faith Wrecken

Amy January 26, 2019 at 10:36 PM

“Not a whore or potato in sight.” <— What the heck?!? LOL!!!

Ima Wrecken…I like it!!

Cheryl January 26, 2019 at 10:58 PM

Friends recommended while I was out drinking, Actual drinks- Depth charge, Mind Eraser, Corpse reviver. Some that are a play on Amy- Amelia Hurts and Amy the Annihilator, WheelPayne. LOL. Now to watch Bohemian Rhapsody.

bev January 26, 2019 at 11:05 PM

That is where my suggestions went and everyone is so clever.

MichelleS January 27, 2019 at 12:31 AM

Y’all I just finished The Kiss Thief. Another 5 star read! I’m on a roll here. Could not put it down.

R. Renee January 27, 2019 at 2:25 AM

Steph, she was super sick :(

It was still good though. We went to San Fran and ate French food and talked books! I still get to go with the hubs in March to see LP in Austin. That will be the 3rd time.

Steph N January 27, 2019 at 9:03 AM

Renee~ I was scrolling instagram and saw she posted that she was sick but would come back in March to make up for it. I only just discovered her around 2 years ago. I love her voice so much! 3 times! Wow! I feel lucky she is even coming close enough so I can see her. Metal rules around here, not beautiful sounding ladies.

R. Renee January 27, 2019 at 10:39 AM

Yes, but unfortunately I live in Texas and can’t return that soon.

Where are you? She’s worth a road trip for sure! Just to hear her whistle!! And have you listened to any of her off-album stuff? Google Suburban Sprawl and Alcohol and crank it up.

Amy January 27, 2019 at 11:51 AM

*sigh*

*SIGH*

I take it back. I’m almost positive I know what’s happening in The Darkest Sunrise.

Dammit.

Amy January 27, 2019 at 11:52 AM

And at only 14%!!

Okay, enough bitching from me. :P

MichelleS January 27, 2019 at 12:31 PM

How about “Pocket Rocket” Amy? I dare you! LOL

Nay January 27, 2019 at 1:36 PM

Amy–OMG I admire you SO much! Even in my days when I played softball and was in really good shape, I would’ve never had the gonads to do roller derby. That is SO cool! And regarding Darkest Sunrise, I’ve wanted to read that for a long time but just haven’t done so. Hope it gets better.

Melinda–so sorry you’ve got stuff going on. We’re here for you if you need us!! And wow! South America? When are you going and what part are you going to?

Cheryl January 27, 2019 at 2:29 PM

Amy, if I remember correctly you’re probably not wrong, BUT it doesn’t end there, nor does the angst. Not so cut and dry. Knowing “that” only makes it worse.

MichelleS January 27, 2019 at 3:32 PM

Anyone else read Shelly Laurenston’s series The Pride? There’s a super feisty little shifter who does roller derby. That’s all I can think of when I read Amy’s post.

MichelleS January 27, 2019 at 3:36 PM

Blayne Thorpe Species: African Wild dog-Wolf hybrid shifter – what was her Roller Derby name? Anyone?

Nay January 27, 2019 at 5:03 PM

MichelleS–I just looked through Beast Behaving Badly and could only find the nickname of her mate, Bo. He plays hockey, and they call him The Marauder. I very well could have missed it though. I think Gwen from another book is also on the team, but I can’t remember a name for her either.

bev January 27, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Marmy the Marauder.

Nay January 27, 2019 at 5:24 PM

I found the roller derby names in the Pride series!

Blayne is Evie Viserate, Gwen is TastySkate.

Some other names I saw were: Pop-A-Cherry, Marlon Brandher, Our Lady of Pain and Suffering, Roxy “The Rocker”, and D.F.A. (Death From Above).

Jan January 27, 2019 at 8:30 PM

Ha ha. Love the roller derby names. I’m too lazy today to be creative but I’m enjoying the discussion. Bigwheels Rollen? That’s about the best I can do. Pretty lame, I know. *slinks back into box*

Melinda, YES it’s been hella hot here! The talk of blizzards and stuff almost makes me wanna cry. I hope you have a great trip to South America and that it’s not too hot there.

Tessa January 27, 2019 at 8:49 PM

Mercy Slaughter

Tessa January 27, 2019 at 8:56 PM

So, I went to the library. No Year One. However, I did get Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare (880 pages!) and Bound by Flames by Jeaniene Frost. :D

MichelleS January 27, 2019 at 10:44 PM

I’m so glad I have fellow readers that can go grab their Laurenston books! I got them all from my library. Back in the day. Loved that series, and Blayne, the roller derby shifter, was one of my favorites. And DeeAnn. And the badger girl. Good times!

Melinda January 28, 2019 at 5:19 AM

Thankyou Nay and Jan, we leave on Saturday.

We are going to Brazil, Argentina and Peru. For 4 weeks.

I am finally reading Fearless by Lauren Gilley it’s really good. Thankyou Ela.

Amy I loved the Darkest Sunrise one of my favourite books.

Maryse January 28, 2019 at 9:48 AM

You are SO lucky Melinda!! A whole month in paradise. I LOVE Peruvian ceviche (and other foods) and be careful not to run into any paranormal super-scary demon-like things in Argentina. That movie SCARED ME STRAIGHT!!!

Maryse January 28, 2019 at 9:49 AM

I need to try out this library thing too. There are some pretty expensive new releases that I want to read.

Maryse January 28, 2019 at 9:54 AM

bev, I was reading “Baby Teeth”. I kind of like it but I just can’t STAND that creepy-evil child, so I have no clue how I’m gonna feel at the end of it.

bev January 28, 2019 at 9:55 AM

Melinda, you were thinking of it last year but decided on the States, right?

Maryse January 28, 2019 at 9:56 AM

Steph N, I DO have problems remembering books too, after awhile (except for the truly outstanding, unique or shocking ones – I can remember those ALWAYS). I’m grateful for my reviews, as it helps refresh my memory, but sometimes I’m so darn cryptic (spoiler-free) that I can’t figure my own review out. LOL!!

Maryse January 28, 2019 at 9:57 AM

Who’s LP?

Maryse January 28, 2019 at 9:58 AM

bev… I second the Poutine name. ;) It’s great!

Maryse January 28, 2019 at 10:10 AM

Thank you Cheryl!!! Sometimes, I could go for laugh-out-loud silly, and I always love when there’s an animal involved. Remember that fainting goat that they took on a road trip with them? I think it was a book by Penelope Ward. OMG I laughed and laughed.

R. Renee January 28, 2019 at 10:36 AM

LP is the singer Amy introduced me to who sings “Lost on You” that makes her think of Tristan and Danika! I became obsessed with her, got Emma Scott obsessed with her, and now we see her when she comes to the bay area. Except this time because she canceled because she got sick. :-/

1. I had to put Be the Girl aside because it’s too YA for me, but I still LOVE KA Tucker because the writing is fantastic.

2. Oddly enough I picked up another YA, A Girl Like Lilac by Victoria L. James and I’m LOVING it!! For some reason I seem to be OK with UK YA (less HS drama maybe?), and Toby is swooooonnnyyy!!

3. I fly back to Texas today and I won’t get into Austin until midnight and then I have to drive over an hour. :(

R. Renee January 28, 2019 at 10:36 AM

And I just put my 3 things on the wrong post! :lol:

Melinda January 28, 2019 at 4:21 PM

Bev, yes we went to LA and New Orleans last year. I loved it. And I took 2 of my girls and left hubby at home to work. And he hated it. It’s the first time we have been separated in 28 years, he said “never again”. We will always go on holidays together. But I still loved it.

Maryse, I can’t do scary Movies, so lucky I don’t know about that.
But yes, I’m really looking forward to getting away, mainly from work. Sometimes that causes us the most stress.

Steph, I have trouble remembering books too, unless it’s a 5 star and unforgettable. Majority are “Meh”. But I remember that book too Maryse, so funny.

We went to see a great movie yesterday called “Green Book” has anyone seen that. Thoroughly enjoyable.