Friday Finds & Reader Recommendations – 02-01-19

by Maryse on February 1, 2019 · 74 comments

in eBook Deals

HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY FEBRUARY EVERYONE!! Ahhhh the month of love and romance is here again!! ;) I’ve got more to add to this list over the course of the morning – lots of great recommendations (and any new ones I find throughout the day0, but I figured I’d post it now since it’s nicely stocked. ;) BUT FIRST!! CONGRATULATIONS to the amazing Vi Keeland!!! You guys!! Lookit what made the NY TIMES BEST SELLERS LIST at number TEN!!!! We Shouldn’t <— HOLY. MOLY.

Linda: Great read!! Love this author. Danielle: love her writing

Need a reminder of how fun  and awesome this sounds? Her new boss already hates her ’cause he saw what she did to his car…

“…His heated stare left me flushed when I stepped off the elevator.

Maybe things here wouldn’t be so bad after all. Or so I thought. Until I walked into my new boss’s office and met my competition. The gorgeous man from the elevator was now my nemesis. His heated stare wasn’t because of any mutual attraction. It was because he’d seen me vandalize his car. And now he couldn’t wait to annihilate his rival…”

TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT WE FOUND FOR THE WEEKEND :D !!

• Renaissance Man by Tessa Bailey <— TESSA BAILEY ALERT!!! HER LATEST IS LIVE!! She’s one of my FAVORITE authors ever!The last place ex-Special forces soldier, Kyle Musgrave, expected to find himself was in a joust at a renaissance fair. There’s a prize for winning, however–her name is Cameron and she’s just as horrified by her medieval circumstances as Kyle…
  • Dreaming of You (Bachelors & Bridesmaids Book 7) by Barbara Freethy <— LIVE!!! BARBARA FREETHY ALERT!! I LOVE THE PREMISE!!! “…The pretty wedding consultant and the sexy divorce lawyer should have hated each other on sight, and—well, they did. But from that first moment, when Cupid’s arrow struck the unsuspecting Barrett—literally—there was something between them that just wouldn’t go away. There was no way it would work, of course…
  • The Broken Girls by Simone St. James <— Jennifer LOVED it too!!

Jennifer: Loved The Broken Girls. 4.5* for me….great contemporary fiction recommendation. Thank you!

Tasha J: It’s different and spooky and stuff….

• Pricked by Winter Renshaw <— Jenn recommends this one!

Jenn: I just finished a book-it was released 1/21/2019 and the only reason I found it was I was searching for a book about an artist for a challenge read and what better artist to read about than a tattoo artist . Anyway this book blew me away. It was my first from this author-Pricked by Winter Renshaw. AMAZING

P.S.-This is Leslie safe-and as a matter of fact I think you will love it!

• Hosed by Pippa Grant <— HILARIOUS READ ALERT!! Cheryl recommends it!
Cheryl: OMG, just finished reading Hosed. If you want a hilarious over the top rom-com with a scene stealing raccoon named George Cooney, then I highly recommend it. There’s also a bonus epilogue in George’s POV. “I’d do anything for Cucumber, Pickle, and Goober Smooch.” LOL!!!
  • Stranded (Auctioned Book 2) by Cara Dee <— LIVE!! M/M ROMANCE ALERT!! OMG SOUNDS DARK!! This is from book #1 (since these need to be read in order): “...his ordinary existence was interrupted, and he became a human trafficking statistic. He and seven other young men were taken aboard a luxurious yacht where they were to be auctioned off to the highest bidder…”

Traci says: “Stranded by Cara Dee comes out tomorrow. I’ve been waiting months for this one. It is book two after Auctioned. It’s MM”

Traci: I finished Stranded last night by Cara Dee. One of my favorite reads so far this year. I feel like I’m a part of her books when I read them. I ❤️ Gray and Dare. I found out there are going to be 5 books in this series. Stranded didn’t end with a huge cliff hanger though.

• The Executive by K.I. Lynn <— LIVE!! SHE’S HIS ASSISTANT... “…The attraction is palpable, undeniable. The problem is she’s the assistant to the CEO of a hundred-million dollar company. She’s my assistant. The other problem? She was previously the assistant to my rival and the man I have sworn to destroy at all costs. I need her to achieve my goal, but I will rip apart anyone that stands in my way…”
Jenn says: “Now I want a book and it comes out tomorrow…YAY! I do believe it is up for pre-order The Executive by K.I. Lynn-can not wait.”

Nay: I loved it! Lots of yummy, sexy biker brooding and grit without being over the top. Lisa: Lock and Key’s second story was the gut puncher for me….Random and Rare. I will NEVER forget that book! It did a number on me. Like… I would find myself tearing up at traffic lights when my mind wandered back to that book…or, inconveniently, while supermarket shopping!! Lets blame it on silly mid life hormones but ‘it ruined me’ is an understatement.

Jean: I love that they are so different and hook me right in from the start! Tessa: I really loved it. I couldn’t put it down. Everything felt real to me. The erm, change from the expected, I saw some people didn’t like, but I honestly loved. It felt right, while the expected truly didn’t. *grins* Jeanie V: I’m 86% into Night Shifts Black – that blurb totally sold me! And I’m finally at that part where the “chair” is explained. Eeeep the feels! Kim: I read Night Shifts Black the day it released! It’s MUST reads. A straight forward look in to depression without kid gloves and a HELLUVA read. I stumbled on it before any reviews not really knowing anything other than a former musician was in it ~ that was my initial draw. Boy oh boy, I kept thinking about this hidden gem that way more people need to read!!!

Mona: I want to thank the person (I’m sorry I don’t remember who, or is it whom? I could never get that right!) that recommended The Ribs and Thigh Bones of Desire!! Ohmygoodness!! Forbidden-y.

Professor survives plane crash that killed his wife and daughter. Sixteen year old babysitter asked to help him while he recuperates. This book got me out of my reading slump. Thank you Maryse and everyone for all of the favorites lists! I’m so excited with my looong TBR list! I’m off to read If now!

AUDIOBOOK L:D VERS!

For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>

Michele G: Listened to an audiobook in one day yesterday while cleaning, cooking and doing laundry…Let’s Get Textual by Teagan Hunter. It was awesome in audio…I highly recommend!

PREORDERS (going live soon!!!  :D )

1. A Few Pecans Short of a Pie (Southern Eclectic) by Molly Harper – February 4th 2019
  2. Waiting for Willa (The Big Sky Series Book 3) by Kristen Proby - February 5th 2019
  3. The Lost Man by Jane Harper – February 5th 2019
  4. Legend: An Arizona Vengeance Novel by Sawyer Bennett – February 5th 2019
  5. Gentleman Sinner by Jodi Ellen Malpas – February 5th 2018
  6. Talen by Shay Savage – February 19th 2019

Sign up for my weekly newsletter

Traci February 1, 2019 at 8:32 AM

Stacey February 1, 2019 at 8:56 AM

Boys of Brayshaw High by Meagan Brandy was AWESOME!!! If you like Fallen Crest this is a must read……absolutely cannot wait for next book in series!

MichelleS February 1, 2019 at 9:21 AM

Happy Friday!

I started a new Fantasy Series, Lord Stariel, keeping my fingers crossed. Love a good fantasy series. The writing is really good.

MichelleS February 1, 2019 at 9:31 AM

Oh, and Tessa… there are FAE. Yay

bev February 1, 2019 at 9:45 AM

I am really starting to hate the covers on CR and NA. I hate feeling embarrassed scrolling through in public. Or opening my kindle and it goes to covers instead of the book.

Gah, just cranky this morn.

Grey February 1, 2019 at 10:03 AM

*tosses glitter* miss you all. Gah it’s cold.

Maryse February 1, 2019 at 10:08 AM

bev I’m with you… sometimes scrolling through Facebook when I’m with friends and I’m all… GAH!! LOL!!!

But I DO love the cover of Vi Keeland’s up there. *waggles eyebrows*

Maryse February 1, 2019 at 10:08 AM

*twirls in the glitter*

It’s been cold for a week here (and I mean 30s and 40s cold, and it’s finally warming up into the 70s for the next few days. :D

Maryse February 1, 2019 at 10:09 AM

YAY!! Thank you for the update Traci!!! I’ll add your comment into the post. :D

Michele G February 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM

We are supposed to hit the 40′s today and the 60′s on Sunday! What gives!?! This is the craziest weather! Just a few days ago we were below zero before the wind chill. I’ll take the warm up but I know we’ll pay for it later next week.

I’m still listening to The Wicked King and it is “wicked” good!!! I don’t want it to end!

R. Renee February 1, 2019 at 10:38 AM

It’s going to be in the 70s here for the super bowl!! And in other news, I’ve been roped into hosting. Again. How does this happen? I have ZERO interest in anything but the meatball sliders.

Sandi February 1, 2019 at 11:13 AM

You all need to come down to Miami, it’s 79 right now.
Oh and that Hosed cover…..

Tasha J February 1, 2019 at 11:27 AM

I didn’t want Brayshaw to end and when it did…*glares* Spring?!?! Like, March 1st perhaps? LOL!!

Tasha J February 1, 2019 at 11:28 AM

40s and 50s here this weekend, warming up! ;)

Kathy P February 1, 2019 at 11:37 AM

The new Amy Harmon book, What The Wind Knows is an Amazon Prime Editor’s pick this month so if you have Prime you get it for free!! Finally a good book! Snapped it right up!
Also Never Never by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher is on sale for .99. I haven’t read it so clicked on it.

Tasha J February 1, 2019 at 12:22 PM

Book 1 in Jewel E Ann’s Jack and Jill series is FREE :D

Tessa February 1, 2019 at 12:25 PM

BEST OF FEB TIME!

Mine was Boys of Brayshaw High, hands down. Everything I want in a book, right there. :)

Here, it’s supposed to rain later and into this weekend. *yay!* I know, rain during the Superbowl, but meh. I always celebrate rain. :)

MichelleS, I did start reading it, but DNF’d it. Their speech was too formal, I didn’t see a fae outside of the prologue, and NOTHING HAPPENED except one event for a little over a quarter of the book. So disappointed. :(

Michele G February 1, 2019 at 12:40 PM

Kathy P, you just made my day! I clicked What the Wind Knows so fast! I’ve been dying to read it – - the cover alone is simply amazing! So excited! I also enjoyed Never Never – - just remember Tarryn is involved so it’s nice and twisty ;-)

R. Renee February 1, 2019 at 12:59 PM

Fave January read was Unbreakable because #Cory #swoon, but if I were to pick a book I haven’t read before, I’d go with The Pisces by Melissa Broder. That one isn’t leaving me any time soon!

Michele G February 1, 2019 at 1:47 PM

R., Unbreakable is definitely high on my list! Also The Pisces might just be my read to fulfill the “librarian” requirement in our one challenge. You did say that it qualifies for that I believe, didn’t you? I just got it through the library.

Michele G February 1, 2019 at 1:54 PM

My fave book from last month’s reads is tough. So, I refuse to pick just one. If I go with an older book, I definitely have to give it to Here to Stay by Suanne Laqueur. If I go with one of the newbies, then it’s tie between When Ashes Fall and Daisy Jones & the Six which are two totally different types of books. Sorry, I’m the world’s most indecisive person EVER.

MichelleS February 1, 2019 at 2:20 PM

Oh man, Tessa! That’s disappointing to hear. Dang it… back to the drawing board…

R. Renee February 1, 2019 at 2:38 PM

The Pisces is super clever but it is a satire so you need to be into that kind of thing. It’s hilarious, but also pretty deep and disturbing on some levels.

R. Renee February 1, 2019 at 2:45 PM

In case I’m not the last person to know (or in case it was posted and I missed it)… K.A. Tucker dropped a pretty big hint on her IG about writing the continuation of The Simple Wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More hot yeti goodness coming up!

MichelleS February 1, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Best of January was probably The Kiss Thief by LJ Shen. Still thinking about that one and replaying scenes in my head.

Tessa February 1, 2019 at 3:18 PM

MichelleS, you might still like it. It was just boring to me. :(

The Kiss Thief was in contention before BoBH. I loved it too!

Nay February 1, 2019 at 4:52 PM

Oh, wow–I had some great books in January, and ordinarily, Verity would have easily been my fave. But I was completely captivated by the 44 Chapters series by BB Easton, which includes Skin, Speed, Star, and Suit. I just wish she had more high school/college boyfriends to write about!

How lucky that I read 5 of my top books of 2019 in January!!

MichelleS February 1, 2019 at 5:36 PM

Boys of Bradshaw High is KU… so… clickety click… thank you!

Tessa February 1, 2019 at 7:05 PM

Ooooooh!

Jenn February 1, 2019 at 7:39 PM

Finally got to sit down with a glass of wine and relax-Need to get caught up on all the comments but did want to throw my fave for January-like MicheleG it was very hard as my January was book awesomeness-for me it’s a tie between Kulti and When Ashes Fall

Jan February 1, 2019 at 8:07 PM

Kulti. Yes!!! Jenn. I haven’t read When Ashes Fall, though.

My top January read would be Susan Fanetti’s new one, Hidden Worthiness (Pagano Brothers #2). A rare book I just didn’t want to put down. Just HAD to turn the page to see what happened next for the scarred, reclusive mafia dude and his ballerina.

Runners-up:
The Beau and The Belle by R.S. Grey. One of her better books IMO. I read it on ku, which I only joined a few weeks ago. I’ve been catching up on all those RS Greys I never read :D

Necessary Restorations (The Walshes #3) by Kate Canterbary. I’m still not quite finished this series, and I really like this world of the Walsh family of Boston architects, and the ins-and-outs of their complicated love lives.

Snowflake by Nia Forrester – latest addition to the long-running Commitment series. This one is about two college students, and Kal is a track star who’s maybe going to the Olympics. I really enjoyed it, even though it’s not my fav in the series. But Forrester is a fantastic writer.

I’ve also been reading Sarina Bowen’s True North series in January. Nearly finished the last book now. I like this whole series too.

Robyn February 1, 2019 at 8:45 PM

I’m just finishing the last book in the Air Awakens series by Elise Kova. It is so good! The h is the last Windwalker, who becomes an Empress. She goes through a lot trials with her crew of friends, who add humor to the story, and her Emperor. The series is complete with 5 books. Every single book was jam packed with adventure, romance, angst and humor. Can you tell I really liked these books! LOL

I don’t usually read M/M but The Abbattoir looked really good and naughty!

Michele G February 1, 2019 at 8:53 PM

Jenn!!! Yes for Kulti!!!! And you know how I feel about When Ashes Fall…so much love! I would have been torn between those two as well!! Enjoy your wine! I had two ice picks for dinner (ice tea and vodka) and am quite relaxed now…and I needed it after this work week.

Michele G February 1, 2019 at 9:03 PM

Robyn, your enthusiasm has sold me. I just added Air Awakens to my TBR.

Tessa February 1, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Me too. I have it already, so that moved it up to the top. :)

bev February 1, 2019 at 10:42 PM

Does anyone else get anxiety from new people.

So, I’ve been talking more on a different blog and it has a lot of visitors, but so far all good. I mean they are all strangers and I don’t talk as much at all. But no reaction.
However, I haven’t been in our GR group for a long while really. But have popped in a few times these last couple months…..and anxiety. It is so weird.

Melinda February 1, 2019 at 11:33 PM

Oh Bev, big hugs, or do you not like hugs

Tessa February 1, 2019 at 11:42 PM

She doesn’t. It is mostly just us there, Bev. Don’t worry. You know we adore you. :)

Tessa February 1, 2019 at 11:42 PM

OH and I picked another book for you Bev!

Kathy Phelan February 1, 2019 at 11:45 PM

Wow! Has anyone read Abattoir by K. Larsen and Yolanda Olsen? It is an M/M but not what I was expecting. I have never read any books by K. Larsen before although I have a few on my Kindle. Best to read it going in dark. I need wine!!

R. Renee February 1, 2019 at 11:53 PM

Kathy I LOVE MM so thanks for the rec! Now RUN and read Jezebel by K. Larsen but no blurb or spoilers! Your mind will be blown!

Robyn February 2, 2019 at 12:08 AM

Tessa and MichelleG..so glad you’re going to read Air Awakens! Let me know how you liked them.

Kathy P….I think The Abbattoir just moved up in the que. thanks for the heads up!

bev February 2, 2019 at 12:28 AM

You two are sweet.

I dont know what it was. I think just really noticed all the new names. Like when your out with a friend and are talking to them and dont realize they have wandered away and it’s really a stranger standing behind you. It was that public speaking fear popping up. Surprised me.

Yes, Tessa. Thank you. Maybe a Bishop book is exactly what I need.

Leslie M February 2, 2019 at 8:03 AM

Bev, pretty much everything gives me anxiety. I’m just a big ole ball of stress!

Northernstar February 2, 2019 at 9:19 AM

*Lifts head out of the world of Chaos, and Kristen Ashley’s amazing story telling*.

Did I hear correctly? A continuation of The simple Wild ?! What great news. One of my favs of 2018. Thanks for the news R. Renee. Can’t wait.

Currently listening to the audio of Josh and Hazels Guide To Not Dating. It’s hilarious- laugh out loud funny. The narrators really make this story come alive.

*dives back in*

R. Renee February 2, 2019 at 9:50 AM

The post is a pic of her laptop and her writing software and the title is: Wild at Heart, and logline: Calla struggles with figuring out her new life in Jonah’s Alaska. :D

Traci February 2, 2019 at 10:26 AM

Ohh might have to put aside Boys of Bradshaw and read Abbatoir. I ❤️ MM. Also not sure if this has been mentioned but Amy Harmon’s new one is on February’s first reads on Amazon. That’s on my current list too. So many books not enough time. Happy Saturday everyone

MichelleS February 2, 2019 at 11:06 AM

I can’t find Abbatoir on Amazon? !

Kathy P. February 2, 2019 at 11:40 AM

Renee, I am scared to read Jezebel after this one but I am so curious. Will start it this rainy weekend. (with wine).

Kathy P. February 2, 2019 at 11:43 AM

I forgot to say The Elements Series Boxset by Brittainy Cherry is on sale for .99. Free on KU. I read two of the 4 stories and they were 5 stars for me.

Skye Warren February 2, 2019 at 4:43 PM

The Broken Girls was really good! I mean I didn’t finish because… I was getting really freaked out about shadows LOL. I’m a scaredy cat.

Tasha J February 2, 2019 at 5:51 PM

*whispers* Mary Hand totally scared the crap outta me too!

Jan February 2, 2019 at 5:58 PM

bev, I can remember as a little girl walking through a crowded city street in the centre of Melbourne, holding onto a fold of my mother’s dress, then looking up and it was some other lady, not Mummy. Eek! I must have been about 4 or 5, but I’ve still never forgotten that moment!

Grey February 2, 2019 at 10:16 PM

My fave book for January was without a doubt, The Devil (Cards of Love series) by Ashley Jade…which I know there is the follow up book coming out this month. I may or may not be anxiously awaiting the sequel. Ms. Jade, if you’re out there…feel free to send an ARC my way, LOL!

I am starting a reread of Corrupt and then Hideaway in anticipation for Kill Switch… *squee* I talked to Pen today and it’s almost go time, kiddies…LOL!

MichelleS February 2, 2019 at 10:55 PM

Grey – loved The Devil too!!! Can’t wait to see how that one plays out!

Nay February 2, 2019 at 11:28 PM

bev–you don’t need to be anxious. You’re an OG!

Cheryl February 3, 2019 at 10:54 AM

Finally catching up on this weeks posts and comments. Crazy week!

Have to say my best of January were two extremes. For over the top LOL- Hosed and for the “feels” and awesome writing- Unbreakable. Runner up would be The Kiss Thief.

bev February 3, 2019 at 12:03 PM

Lol.

Our minds are such odd things sometimes.

Leslie M February 3, 2019 at 12:04 PM

Nay, you made me spit out my coffee! Bev is an OG!

Jenn February 3, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

I just put my pizza monkey bread in oven-Yum! Chili in crockpot-made homemade Italian bread for chili-buffalo chicken wing dip done-homemade guacamole done and taco salad done-now it’s wine time

Maryse February 3, 2019 at 2:21 PM

I’m getting ready to go to a super-bowl party too!! I’m bringing chicken wings! :D

Maryse February 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM

I need to catch up on the comments too!! It looks like the party’s here… ;)

MichelleS February 3, 2019 at 2:27 PM

I just downloaded Unbreakable and All Your Perfects for GR challenges. I don’t know what to read first! When I get anxious, I usually read something altogether different. Help!

MichelleS February 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM

AND How To Walk Away. I’m just staring at my Kindle now. Too many reader’s favorites. I need chocolate.

Jenn February 3, 2019 at 2:54 PM

Maryse YUM chicken wings-love them! At that chicken wing festival I went to last summer I tried one that was called blueberry something and it was to die for! Have fun at your party!

Jenn February 3, 2019 at 2:57 PM

MichelleS-I have not read Unbreakable yet but love All Your Perfects-I’m where your at I actually have 3 books started and don’t know which one to finish!

Nay February 3, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Have fun, Maryse! My son just told me that he’s going to go get the fam wings for the super bowl. Although it doesn’t feel like football weather. It’s 72 deg. at my house.

Hope everyone has a great time at their various parties–be safe!

I’m going to try to start Free tonight. I’m ready for some Tack Allen/Chaos goodness!

bev February 3, 2019 at 3:16 PM

I forgot all about the super bowl.

So my bed hog is also a Houdini with some separation anxiety. *sigh*

MichelleS set them aside and read Beautiful Bad Man.

R. Renee February 3, 2019 at 3:47 PM

MichelleS, Amy and I are doing a buddy read for How to Walk Away at some point!

I’m hosting a super bowl party against my will! :D

I only had to make the velveeta/chili/rotel dip. The hubs is doing wings and bacon wrapped/cream cheese stuffed jalapenos on the grill. Someone else is bringing meatball sliders. I’m looking forward to those!!

Grey February 3, 2019 at 8:30 PM

I made keto pizza. Omg. So much win! I am so freaking happy!

Sandi February 3, 2019 at 8:33 PM

Heartless (Amato Brothers Book 1) by Winter Renshaw is free right now, haven’t read it but it sounds really good

Donna February 5, 2019 at 9:26 PM

Just finished reading Taken Without Her Consent by Mitzi D. Lane…what a great read !!

Maryse February 6, 2019 at 9:04 AM

Thank you for the feedback on it, Donna! :D

Christine Price February 6, 2019 at 6:02 PM

I see Unbreakable mentioned a lot. Whose the author? I need to check it out! Also, I have to share that I loved – LOVED Binding 13 and Keeping 13! So good!