Friday Finds & Reader Recommendations – May 11th 2018

by Maryse on May 11, 2018 · 71 comments

in eBook Deals

Happy Friday!!!!!! YAYYYYY FRIDAY!!!! How I love this day, every single time it comes around (and its partners, Saturday & Sunday too!) :P And I also love this list, each and every week, ’cause it’s loaded in tried-and-true reader recommendations.

P.S. I’ll be adding more throughout the day as bargains are found, or anything new goes live, so if you see one for today’s list, let me know.

TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT WE FOUND FOR THE WEEKEND :D !!

• Disturbing His Peace: The Academy by Tessa Bailey <— HOT MOODY COP ALERT & MY OWN UPDATE!!! Tessa Bailey’s “Disturbing His Peace” – this hero is the bossiest, most obnoxious, jealous, demanding, and possessive alpha-male I’ve read in AGES. And the most convincing. I wanna hate him because… I. AM. APPALLED. Ohhhhhh THE NERVE of him!!! AND YET I AM SO INTO HIM!!!!!! Tee hee. I can’t stop highlighting!!! P.S. And yet he is so SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! Oh he makes me *swooooooon*
Marina: It’s been this slow tease reading about Danika and the Lieutenant and I NEED to know what happens with them!!! So excited to read. It’s been a great book roll.
  • Arrogant Devil by R.S. Grey <— R.S. GREY ALERT!! LIVE & SUPER-BARGAIN PRICED!! Dismal first impressions… ;) “...When I show up on the doorstep of Blue Stone Ranch, I’m run-down and rockin’ my last pair of underwear. I’m hoping for a savior, but instead, I find him. My opinion of Jack is marred by a dismal first impression, but his opinion of me is tainted even before I arrive. He’s heard I’m a spoiled princess there to take advantage of his goodwill. To him, I’m more trouble than I’m worth…”
Jen C: …utterly adored the two main characters. Funny and entertaining as I now expect from Rachel but had some deeper things going on to really give the book a bit of heart.

Tracie: I just finished “Bad at Love” by Karina Halle and would love to know if you have a list of other books or recommendations of books where they start as “just friends” first??

Ashley: I just finished Comatose by Catherine Black and it was amazing! I got it on sale on amazon and thought ‘I’ll try it.’ Sometimes those are the best finds!

Brandi: Pam Godwin has a new series the first was released on 5/1 “Knotted” I love her dark style of writing and this one was tragic, full of angst as well as dark but a beautiful love story. I could not put it down a 4.5 star for me only because I can’t wait for the next book! (Note: this is a complete standalone but will continue the storyline in the next book)

Victoria: I read Knotted by Pam Godwin yesterday and it’s quite stressful, but I couldn’t put it down. LoL! Great angst, bossy hero and strong heroine. I’m looking forward to the next two books! :)

Robyn: finished KA’s The Greatest Risk. I love Steffan And Sixx. This book was the best in the series. I live in Phoenix and I want to know if these places KA talks about in her books are real. Did she go to them to do research? I could do some research with her. Hehe
  • The King’s Innocent Bride by Alexa Riley <— ALEXA RILEY’S LATEST JUST WENT LIVE!!!…When a trespasser is brought before him, he isn’t prepared for what happens next. He’s ready to stake his claim and take what he wants. He’s the king, after all...”
Lauren: Their books are such guilty pleasures…..
Amy R: I have a recommendation for a book I think you would like. I’m not exactly sure how to do that so I figured I would send you a message. I literally stumbled across this book. It literally had no stars and no reviews. I thought what the heck I’ll try it. I was honestly blown away. The main hero is kind of a jerk. Not a lot of sex (I think there was only one scene and it was tame). It’s part of a series and I believe each book will follow a new couple…. at least that’s how it seems in the last chapter (b/c omg I can’t wait to read about that couple). The book is called Kingdom of Ruin (The Three Kingdoms) by Bianca McKay.
  • Ride by Harper Dallas <— ANSGT ALERT!! Kathy has a bunch to recommend! Like THIS one!
Kathy: Thank you to the person who recommended Ride. I love it!! If you like sports romances, I just finished Catching Caden (The Perfect Game Series) and Benching Brady (The Perfect Game Series) by Samantha Christy. They both were really good and I definitely recommend them. R: I just finished Kandace’s rec, Ride by Harper Dallas, and I second it! Great debut! … It’s about a broody mega-star broken snowboarder… marina: Reading and really liking Ride. Very angsty.

Kiblee: I’ve been following maryse’s blog for several years. It’s my go to when I’m so for something to read. I saw the posts about Jewel Ann’s Transend. This book is amazing!!! I could not put it down until I was finished. I’ve got Epoch loaded up and ready to read, but I had to Say something about it first. I enjoyed it that much. I love supernatural, Urban fantasy type books. Not your typical romance stories. I was looking for my next read and this one caught my eye as Maryse’s Aprin favorite. It wasn’t exactly what I was looking for, but was the premise was intriguing. I am so glad I gave it a chance! I laughed, I cried, and I could not put it down. I will definitely be looking at other books by jewel Ann.

Joy: Just finished Transcend!!! That book is AMAZING. Head over heels in love with Griff and Nate! I wanna hurt Dougly, so bad (grrr). My mind is fried. The cliffhange… I had to read it 3 times (mouth gaping). I won’t sleep tonight and only slept 3 hours last night because Ievery time I told myself that I would go to bed, I’d lay there thinking about the book and would start reading again. I had to force myself to put my iPad away. Then I dreamed about the book. I’m in for a long night of coffe with Bailey’s Irish Cream, my Snoopy blanket, my new bamboo pillow and Epoch!

• Off Balance series by Lucia Franco <— FORBIDDEN LOVE/TABOOOOOOOO ALERT!! Back on the list ’cause Donna jumped in and loved it, too!!

Donna: Hi Maryse! After Robyn had so much excitement about the Off Balance Series by Lucia Franco I had to dive in. WOW!!! Absolutely a trainwreck that I could not put down. I think Book 2 may have even been better than Book 1 for me. I am seriously questioning my morals at this point because I am somehow hoping they can find a way to be together. I think? But it’s wrong…right? My emotions are all over the place with this series. Cannot wait for Book 3 to find out where the author is taking me on this crazy dramatic ride!

• On A Crazy Idea: A Best Friends To Lovers Story by Stephanie Witter <— LIVE!!! SHE WANTS A BABY… “...asking my best friend, Brock Lowe, To be my wingman seemed like a safe bet. After all, I wasn’t looking to bed a serial killer.  But, it turned out Brock had a plan of his own...”

AUDIOBOOK L:DVERS

For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>

• AND! Here’s the fun-tool again! —> Find out which of YOUR Kindle books are available as audiobooks at a BARGAIN-PRICE! <— This thing is so cool (Amazon calls it “Matchmaker“)! It’s an Amazon feature, that scans all of your Kindle books and will list all of the ones you have that are also available as an audiobook at a discounted price (not normal audiobook prices). This way, you can switch back and forth, seamlessly between your ebooks and your audiobooks. VERY COOL!

PREORDERS (A few of next week’s!!! :D )

Sign up for my weekly newsletter

Grey May 11, 2018 at 5:57 AM

*tosses… Coffee* lots and lots of coffee and *tosses glitter and confetti* because, well… If I don’t someone will be up in here trying to steal my job. Fake it til you make it, lol. Happy weekend eve, friends!

Maryse May 11, 2018 at 6:04 AM

Oh I need the coffeeeeee!!!!

LOL!!!! YAY Grey!! The last time you weren’t here to glitter-bomb us, I think it was Leslie that came in and set off stink bombs. instead :P *snort*

Leslie M May 11, 2018 at 6:04 AM

Happy Friday!

I am off to see if I have any good friends-to-lovers recs.

Victoria May 11, 2018 at 6:20 AM

I marathon-read Transcend and Epoch and it was such a unique love story.

Leslie M May 11, 2018 at 7:18 AM

Maryse – some friends to lovers books:

Frigid by J. Armentrout
Blurred Lines by Lauren Layne
The Pact by Karina Halle
Roomhate & Gentleman Nine by Penelope Ward
Friend Zoned by Belle Aurora
Bully by Penelope Douglas
Flat Out Love by Jessica Park
Something Borrowed & Something Blue by Emily Griffin
Addicted to You by Becca & Krista Ritchie
Him by Sarina Bowen (m/m)
Collide by Riley Hart (m/m)

Leslie M May 11, 2018 at 7:27 AM

No worries about the stink bombs…those are only for Mondays! ;)

Tasha J May 11, 2018 at 8:27 AM

Do you have to read the other books in the series for Disturbing His Peace?

bev May 11, 2018 at 8:47 AM

I want to read this weekend but what?

I am just all over the place with books.
I want chemistry and good banter.

So, I know dramas. But since I haven’t read that much one of my favorite recent friends to lovers is Fight my Way. The one I want Cheryl to watch. It’s so fun.
It’s a group of 4 friends who have been friends forever. The two leads are great. Great chemistry. The hero has decided to get back into MMA. He is like the sweetest puppy, seriously, except if he is being protective of the heroine.
Maybe I should re watch it….but i do want to read.

Maryse May 11, 2018 at 9:33 AM

Tasha, no you don’t (the series is about 3 roommates and they are all training to be cops – so each one is about one of them – the characters of course crossover since they’re all best friends).

And in this book, you get to finally know their Lieutenant who is TOTALLY NO NONSENSE (and the older brother of one of them). He’s been in all the books in the background…

Jean May 11, 2018 at 10:26 AM

TGIF seriously! It felt like the longest week!

Tasha J May 11, 2018 at 10:37 AM

It sounds good! I know I’ve read at least 1 by her…looks it up…Protecting What’s His. And I really liked it, I still remember most of it and it was a while ago.
I picked back up The Perfect Mother, it reads really fast, I’m almost halfway already and I’m completely engrossed in it.

D.G. May 11, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Mayday, mayday!!! I need coffee and earplugs STAT!! Back on the bus for the 14 hour drive home and some bright person turns the volume of the carton movie up louder. Just what I need in my ear for ten more hours…
Please pass the blankie fort and Mannie! This is going to be rough.

D.G. May 11, 2018 at 10:45 AM

And Amy… can you start the cocktails…I am going to need one!

Maryse May 11, 2018 at 11:08 AM

Thank you for the friends-to-lovers recommendations, Leslie!!! I’m going to make a proper list with all of ‘em. :)

Nay May 11, 2018 at 11:50 AM

Happy Friday!!! Just popping in.

bev May 11, 2018 at 11:59 AM

Amen sister friend Jean.

Tessa May 11, 2018 at 12:25 PM

I don’t think Bully qualifies as a friends to lovers book. Kind of far from it. Yes, as kids they were friends, but by the time the book started, they were as far from friends as you can get. It went literal enemies to lovers. :) (Still one of my all-time favorite books).

Kingdom of Ruin looks GOOOOOOD!

Tessa May 11, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Sorry guys. DNF’d At This Moment. I put in a spoiler why, but yeah. Hard limit of no.

Jean May 11, 2018 at 1:46 PM

Oh shoot Tessa…. I’m about to start it.

Leslie M May 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM

Oh Tessa, I hope I dont end up DNF’ing. I NEED to love a book.

I listed Bully because I love childhood friends who end up together as adults. (Roomhate is similiar) But Maryse, if you dont want that type on your list feel free to exclude. :) You could even say Travis & Abby were friends first before they got together.

Tessa May 11, 2018 at 2:13 PM

Travis and Abby totally fit that! One of the cutest!

Leslie and Jean, I doubt it. It’s just a personal thing for me. Not a trigger or anything, just a hard limit. It was the same issue I had with other books people loved.

Caroline May 11, 2018 at 2:49 PM

I just finished reading Sidecar Crush by Claire Kingsley. She and Lucy Score are collaborating on a new series called Bootleg Springs set in rural West Virginia. The first book by Lucy Score, Whiskey Chaser, and the second (Sidecar Crush) are rom-com at it’s best. Supposed to be a six book series with each other writing alternate books. Fantastic so far!!!

Robyn May 11, 2018 at 3:16 PM

I’m doing a Silver Swan and Broken Puppet reread this weekend, cuz guess what comes out Monday???? It would be Tacet a Mortuis, Elite Kings book 3 by Amo Jones! Can wait to see what these bad boys do in the next book.

bev May 11, 2018 at 3:17 PM

I liked Bully but the last book jumped the shark. I bought it saw some reviews and spoilers, so skimmed it and….no.
I need to in and just delete those books the ones I skimmed or dnf’d. Be honest that I won’t read them.

Robyn May 11, 2018 at 3:18 PM

Oh, and I’m also rereading The Red Queen series, cuz War Storm is coming out Tuesday! It’s gonna be a busy weekend!

Maryse May 11, 2018 at 3:20 PM

Oh YES!!!! I need to add that one to the list, Robyn! Thank you for reminding me!! :D

bev May 11, 2018 at 3:23 PM

I have to go back to work soon.
Tired today and slightly bored.

I hate that I’m not reading or excited about books right now.
I need to figure this out, lol.

Maryse May 11, 2018 at 3:25 PM

Thank you so much for that recommendation Caroline! I shall post the reading order.

bev May 11, 2018 at 3:26 PM

However, not mad at my hair today.
So, score!
Almost time to decide: cut or grow.

Cut always wins.

Maryse May 11, 2018 at 3:26 PM

Travis and Abby for SURE!!!!!!! I’m going to have fun building this list. This weekend, I should post that, and Maryse’s Blog 101 :)

Maryse May 11, 2018 at 3:28 PM

Same with my struggle Tessa. I’m still dying to finish the series due to the huge love for it, but I’m still too upset.

Leslie M May 11, 2018 at 4:14 PM

Bev, I am crazy with the hair thing. I have flopped back and forth over the long/short several times. I am in a long phase now but think I might chop it off. Last time I had that mood, I chopped off 12 inches.

Leslie M May 11, 2018 at 4:16 PM

I had some work to do around house today so I couldnt eread and started a new audio. Pull Me Close by Sydney Halston. I am really liking it so far!!

bev May 11, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Post a pic and let us pick a haircut Leslie.

Leslie M May 11, 2018 at 4:56 PM

I would rather delete my entire book collection than post my pic online.

Grey May 11, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Oh, don’t forget, gimme a number! When we need to get pulled from a slump, we ask someone to pick a number from 1-whatever and it corresponds to our vast TBR’s and *bingo* picks the book!

Cheryl May 11, 2018 at 5:51 PM

Bev, I haven’t forgotten, especially since I’m your favorite!!

I had to set aside Six Feet Under and am now reading Arrogant Devil. Funny, enemies to lovers book.

bev May 11, 2018 at 6:29 PM

Leslie, I would too, lol. I just meant pics of hair cuts.
Or your hair if you wanted to.

bev May 11, 2018 at 6:29 PM

I forgot about the number game. Maybe I should do that for a jumpstart. Hmm.

bev May 11, 2018 at 7:24 PM

I’m not sure if I’ll read it but # between 1-25.

Grey May 11, 2018 at 7:34 PM

24.

Tessa May 11, 2018 at 8:05 PM

bev May 11, 2018 at 8:47 PM

#1 it needs to be. #24 fell on the newest book in a series I am not up to date with.
#1 Is the Tessa Bailey up there .

bev May 11, 2018 at 8:48 PM

Cheryl if you try the drama ever let me know what you think of the H &h . I just loved them.

Jean May 11, 2018 at 9:13 PM

24 was the first number to pop in my head….Grey, I think we are twins!

Tessa May 11, 2018 at 9:41 PM

Of course, I picked the book written by the girl named Tessa. :)

Mona May 12, 2018 at 9:21 AM

I saw a recent mention in comments about the Fish Tales series by Suanne Laqueur. I was not familiar with it, but just finished book 1 and starting book 2. All I can say is “wow”! I didn’t want to put it down once I got into it! The story follows Fish and Daisy, but the insight into the lifelong trauma of survivors of school shootings … just wow! Thank you for mentioning this series!

Maryse May 12, 2018 at 9:45 AM

Mona THAT SERIES ROCKS OUR WORLDS!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, quite a few of us, anyway. ;)

They just keep getting better, and the last book is the absolute best. Just you wait!

bev May 12, 2018 at 9:57 AM

I want to buy all the products….but I’m not. I have too many and I know rationally it will not make my skin look like hers, lol.
I think my book buying has converted to skincare buying and that is not good I need to revert back. Books are so much cheaper, lol.
But I love her vids.

Susan May 12, 2018 at 12:06 PM

I just finished reading Bad Boy Brody by Tijan and loved it. It’s a little different than what she has written in the past but I consider it the best book she has written so far. She is an automatic buy for me. If you are in a slump this will help get you out of it.

Tasha J May 12, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Who all read The Butterfly Garden? I want to read the 3rd, The Summer Children, based only off a great review, I didn’t even read the blurb or any other reviews so I don’t spoil for myself. I want to know if I should read the whole series? Or if this is a series of standalones?

Maryse May 12, 2018 at 3:54 PM

Oooooh I wanna know that, too! I only read book #1 and was so confused by the ending (a part of the reveal that made no sense) but yet I was so captivated by the whole book, that I’d still go in for more.

bev May 12, 2018 at 4:25 PM

50% in to the # pick book. It’s ok, but finding I want to skim .

Maryse May 12, 2018 at 4:28 PM

#1?

bev May 12, 2018 at 5:15 PM

# game. Tessa gave me 1 which is the Tessa Bailey up there. It’s not bad, just not keeping my interest.

Tasha J May 12, 2018 at 5:18 PM

Hmm…Ok, so I asked the chick who wrote the review, well a progress review, she’s not done yet…and she said she recommends reading The Butterfly Garden at least. There are threads that run throughout the series so probably should read them in order, but book 2 wasn’t her fave so she’s still debating whether that 1 can be skipped and she’ll address it in her full review. I guess I should get to reading! ;)

bev May 12, 2018 at 7:08 PM

No one her today. So let’s follow Tasha, Maryse. We will jack up her air conditioner and make big smoothies. You can make your chicken medallions and cauliflower rice.
Tasha and I will convince you to read To Tell the Truth and meet Bish and the gang.
We will fall asleep at 9. Then you two will wake up at 2 am and try to whisper so you don’t wake me up. But then you all get a little crazy with the middle of the night snacks and I’m up.
In retaliation and repentance we watch dramas.
By 9 that night we have marathoned a whole show and each read a book. We are zombies fueled by coffee and covered in cookie crumbs.

Leslie M May 12, 2018 at 8:11 PM

Bev, when you said that book was ok but by 50% you want to skim?? THAT is what happens to me with almost everything I read. Even the ones that start great, I seem to lose interest. It is so frustrating.

On a happy note, it’s almost time for the blog baby!!

Oooh, I thought of a few blog 101s – no mentioning of the “c” book and absolutely no spoilers.

bev May 12, 2018 at 10:36 PM

Leslie we are the slump twins.

What’s our name?

Lev?
beslie?

I was just thinking about the Marmy twins. Only 2 eps of My Ahjussi left and I can take any outcome except death. That would make me mad. And I was thinking if it was one of them they’d say they didn’t want it but secretly their heart would thrill at the possibility, lol.

Jan May 13, 2018 at 2:11 AM

Yes Leslie!! That happens to me so often!!! I like the read, then get to 40%, 50%, 60% and I just lose interest….. happens to me ALL THE FREAKING TIME. And then I start cursing that I actually paid money for the book :( Maybe we can be the slump triplets?

Although I just read Pretty Face and really liked it, all the way through! So, there’s that.

Leslie M May 13, 2018 at 7:17 AM

Happy Mother’s Day!!

*big hugs to human moms, pet moms and like-a-mom*

Leslie M May 13, 2018 at 9:39 AM

Re: book slumps

You know what part of my problem is? Most times I go into book completely blind. This often backfires ’cause if I researched reviews I would have discovered details that make story a no go.

Maryse May 13, 2018 at 9:40 AM

Happy Mother’s Day everyone!!!!!!!

I’m a mommy of 2 puppies, and I have a wonderful mommy, so it’s a wonderful day. :)

How’s our Tasha doing today?

Maryse May 13, 2018 at 9:42 AM

YAY Tasha!!! Okay keep me informed. I’d be happy to jump in again…

Maryse May 13, 2018 at 9:43 AM

bev. That sounds like the BEST weekend ever. It would have to be at LEAST a weekend, ’cause once we get hooked on the k-dramas, we’re gonna wanna marathon watch. Gah. I wanna do that! I’d be happy to have you guys here. <3

bev May 13, 2018 at 10:56 AM

It would be, lol.

I stayed up way too late reading comments on and commenting on the last ep of My Ahjussi. I’m having so much fun with this show even though it isn’t necessarily a fun type of show. Only 2 more eps to go and I don’t want to let it go.
Right now though lazy Sunday finishing the Bailey book .

bev May 13, 2018 at 2:57 PM

Since everyone is off doing mothers day I’m assuming I have the place to myself….hehehe.

One last Ahjussi post until next week (the final week, eep). But they have a beautiful OST song that I didn’t know the translation of until now. And it’s still beautiful.
MV and my current obsession and favorite heroine of the moment.

Nay May 13, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Happy Mother’s Day! I’m finally getting ready to get some reading done and in a little while, hubs and I are going to an old-time ice cream shop for their home-made ice cream. Hope everyone else is having a wonderful day!

Cheryl May 13, 2018 at 4:47 PM

Happy Mother’s Day!! Back from spending day eating out and a little shopping with family. Now some reading before taking my son back to college. ;)

Sarah May 13, 2018 at 11:33 PM

Arrogant devil- awesome. Was in a book slump & didn’t put it down. But of a KA feel to it. Now off to find more like that.

Tasha J May 14, 2018 at 8:41 AM

That sleepover sounds like a dream, Bev! Happy belated Momma’s Day everyone! We went to my family’s campsite, it’s the thing to do here now, and had a nice cookout. It was a good day! :)