Friday Finds & Reader Recommendations – 10-26-18

by Maryse on October 26, 2018 · 54 comments

in eBook Deals

SATURDAY MORNING BREAKING NEWS UPDATE!!! I Bet You by Lisa Madden-Mills is finally LIVE!!! And it can be read as a standalone! “Penelope knows she shouldn’t trust a jock, but what’s a girl to do when she needs a date to Homecoming? And Ryker’s keeping a secret, another bet, one that could destroy Penelope’s heart forever…” ➔➔➔

Good morning and happy Friday Finds everyone!! 25 book finds, so far, and counting. I’ll be adding more throughout the day, including “I Bet You” by Its Maddem Mills as soon as it goes live (which should be any minute now). :)

Let me know if you have one for me to add.

TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT WE FOUND FOR THE WEEKEND :D !!

Marci: I just finished a series that I think you would love. It is the Donna Grant Dark Worlds series. It starts in the 1600′s and moves to modern times. Has warriors, druids, the Faie, and dragons. I have really enjoyed them. I enjoy your site and it helps me find other book series to read so I thought I would share one that I found…  …Dark World consisting of the Dark Sword, Dark Warriors,Dark Kings, and Reaper series
  • The Day the Jerk Started Falling (Jerk Duet Book 2) by Max Monroe <— LIVE!! MAX MONROE ALERT!! She’s his sister’s best friend… “I’m the ultimate jerk. My affection tends to be short-lived—a quality I’ve been assured multiple times by the fairer sex isn’t becoming—and the leaving part of loving and leaving has always come natural. At least, it used to. Until her…”
  • All I Need by Jennifer Van Wyk <— LIVE!!! SHE’S BEEN CHEATED ON BY TWO FIANCÉS!! “...I’m done with men entirely. I’m definitely old enough to know better than to let that happen to me again. Trust isn’t something I have in me to give… to anyone. At least, not anymore. Besides, even if I wanted to give someone my everything, I have nothing left to give. Now, if Walker could be just a tad less handsome, his relationship with his nephew not quite as sexy and his body… well, let’s not get crazy. His body is just a gift to womankind...”
  • Five Reasons To Go (The Risky Hearts Duet Book 2) by Candace Knoebel <— LIVE!!! MARITAL STRIFE/OPEN MARRIAGE ALERT!! Oooooh boy, I can’t tell of this is a standalone or not by that blurb, so I’m going to add book #1 to this list, too!!! Here it is ➔ Ten Reasons to Stay (The Risky Hearts Duet Book 1) <— OKAY NOT A STANDALONE!!!

One day a week—Thursdays—my husband and I could do whatever or whomever we pleased.
Protection was non-negotiable.
And no matter what, we had to be home by midnight.

Amy: It’s zero-dark-early here and I have a 12-hour day ahead of me, but I’m all kinds of excited because it will be one of those days with a LOT of down time…meaning I’ll feel like I’m getting paid to read! I’m going to finish The Story of Us by Nichole King (which at halfway through I feel safe in saying I LOVE!)
I turn the thick envelope in my palm, slide out the tightly folded pages, and unfold the thin paper, taking care not to tear the letters that were important enough to keep for a century.My dearest Alice“Great-grandpa was in the Philippines?” I ask.“Oh no. Not your great-grandfather,” answers Grammie, her eyes twinkling with her mother’s secrets. “Elliott.”
  • Cards Of Love: The World (Swift Series Book 2) by Leslie Pike <— LIVE!!! “While this is part of The Swift Series each can be as a standalone about a different Swift sibling but for the best reader experience read them in order.”
  • Goodbye, Kate by Nicola Haken <— LIVE!! FAMILY MOB WARS!!! “…A trained killer and advocate of justice, he’s been sent to unravel the neat little bow tied around Kate Fletcher’s perfect life, exposing her to the brutal truths she’s been so meticulously shielded from, before delivering the ultimate punishment for her family’s sins. There’s just one problem. They’re his family’s sins, too, and he must make a choice...”
  • Allison Shatters the Looking-Glass: A Dark Reverse Harem Romance (Harem of Hearts Book 3) <— LIVE!!! C.M. STUNICH REVERSE HAREM ALERT!! And here’s the reading order. OH MY!! What a warning!
AUTHOR WARNING: …a full-length reverse harem/new adult/dark romance novel, a gritty retelling of “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”. Don’t expect a children’s tale; these characters are nothing like their more innocent counterparts. This book contains: drugs, cursing, violence, sex … and love found in the darkest shadows.
  • The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin <— IT’S ON SALE!!! They are stranded together after a plane crash!! “...when unthinkable tragedy strikes, the pair find themselves stranded in Utah’s most remote wilderness in the dead of winter, badly injured and miles from civilization. Without food or shelter, and only Ben’s mountain climbing gear to protect themselves, Ashley and Ben’s chances for survival look bleak, but their reliance on each other sparks an immediate connection, which soon evolves into something more…”
Maria: A must read. The mountain between us by Charles Martin. Such an amazing story. You all will love every single page and will be thinking about the ending for many moons! Highly recommend it.

AUDIOBOOK L:D VERS!

For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>

Alli: Crow (Boston Underworld) series by A. Zavarelli are a great read. This author dives deep into the characters, Some dark material, however they’re very well written. I listened to them on audible and the narrator voice is perfect. I would highly recommend this series.

PREORDERS (going live soon!!!  :D )

1. Archangel’s Prophecy (A Guild Hunter Novel) by Nalini Singh - October 30th 2018
  2. Elevation by Stephen King – October 30th 2018
  3. Shades of Wicked: A Night Rebel Novel by Jeaniene Frost - October 30th 2018
  4. Dragonfire: A Dark Kings Novel by Donna Grant - October 30th 2018
  5. Elevation by Stephen King - October 30th 2018
  6. Pierced (Tall, Dark, and Handsome Book 2) by J.A. Huss – October 30th 2018
  7. Secrets (Web of Sin) by Aleatha Romig - October 30th 2018
  8. Southern Devotion (Southern Heart Book 4) by Kaylee Ryan - October 30th 2018
  9. Dark Harmony (The Bargainer Book 3) by Laura Thalassa - October 31st 2018
  10. Hate Notes by Penelope Ward & VI Keeland – November 6th 2018

➔➔➔  Get Maryse’s Book Blog updates delivered by email (you’ll get one daily email that will have each post from that day consolidated on it).

Sign up for my weekly newsletter

Nay October 26, 2018 at 6:46 AM

Good morning! Happy Friday!!

Maryse–regarding your comment last night about judging a book by it’s cover. I was going to put a book on my tbr the other day and I noticed it had a different, older cover on GR. One of those 70′s harlequin romance-looking covers that had been updated, so I didn’t add it. I’m such a cover snob! And as I’ve said before–I will N-E-V-E-R read a book with photo-shopped lip prints or crowns! Lol

Nay October 26, 2018 at 6:49 AM

UGH! Sorry–it’s the editor in me, but I can’t let an incorrect autocorrect go:

**a book by ITS cover. lol

I can’t believe Halloween is less than a week away!

Leslie M October 26, 2018 at 7:08 AM

Happy Friday everyone! I can’t believe Halloween almost here and holiday season coming fast. As weird as it sounds… I have to try and read less and focus more time on holiday planning. I blow off so much RL chores with reading, it’s scary.

Anyway, apparently I am never happy because on the one hand, I hate when authors change covers…but then again, I am major cover snob and don’t want tacky harlequin-esque cover on my TBR either. *shrugs*

bev October 26, 2018 at 7:49 AM

I think everyone is susceptible to beautiful packaging. I know I am. But I’ll take a well written harlequin over a beautiful cover with bad writing any day.

Maryse October 26, 2018 at 8:01 AM

Agreed bev. I’m right there with you.

When I first started in the indie romance genre, the covers were really bad. Generic, or just very homemade. And yet the stories inside BLEW me away. That’s when I knew I found treasures in the rough.

In fact, there was a time that I was MOST attracted to the generic and simple covers because I had been conditioned… having repeatedly found the best of the best in those.

Tasha J October 26, 2018 at 8:37 AM

Goood morning! I just ate a lemon crunch donut AND a glazed croissant….there’s a chocolate cake donut eyeballing me too. *must resist- this this afternoon :P *

Sabrina releases on Netflix today, I think! I grew up with Sabrina and this looks good -darker- so I’m excited!

I wanted to do FLT yesterday, but I had a killer migraine so I’ll do first line Friday.
“Darian, come on. Call him back when we get to our gate. I need to get Annie settled and I want to check flight times.” Waiting for the Sun by Robin Hill. I’m loving this book!! I’m also pretty sure I’m the last one to read it, but it’s SO good.

Maryse October 26, 2018 at 8:40 AM

LOL Nay!!!!

Nay October 26, 2018 at 8:42 AM

I have at least 200 of those awful oversized pb’s from around 2010 (like the Ellora’s Cave ones), and even though I thought a lot of those looked silly, it was all we had, so I never let them deter me from reading.

What’s ridiculous is that nowadays, it’s not even a hard copy of the book I’m reading! Why do I care when it’s an ebook and the terrible cover won’t be on my shelves in my house?? I’m sure if I broke down and read some of these stories, the covers wouldn’t bother me at all. The newer ones that purposely look cheesy, though–that sends me a message that the story is cheesy, so I have to pass.

bev October 26, 2018 at 8:44 AM

Speaking of bad covers on great books. I just saw this link on a blog I read.

Rachel Martin October 26, 2018 at 8:47 AM

I hate covers. I wish they all were blank ad we weren’t swayed to much by them. But some are ok to look at!! I’ve been reading memoirs all month, not a lot of cover art in that genre. My last one this month is Pieces of Me by Rose Marie Williams Abrams. It’s been intense. Her childhood was awful but it made her who she has become and I find inspiration in that. mynameisrose.com is her book site. It’s well worth it if you like that genre!

Nay October 26, 2018 at 8:47 AM

Maryse–will you please, pretty please post a video tutorial of how you get these bleeping lashes on?

I’m laughing so hard at myself trying to get my arms, hands, the lashes, the lighting, the mirror all just right that I don’t know if I could do it anyway, but, seriously, I’d love some tips!

Nay October 26, 2018 at 8:49 AM

Ooh, those are bad, bev!

Ela October 26, 2018 at 8:51 AM

YOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ela October 26, 2018 at 8:52 AM

bev! Gasp! Those are horrible

bev October 26, 2018 at 8:56 AM

They made me laugh.

I mean I guess it’s one way to get someone to be embarrassed about reading the classics in public.

Maryse October 26, 2018 at 9:25 AM

Rachel!! I love Memoirs and biographies!!! Thank you for that recommendation.

Maryse October 26, 2018 at 9:27 AM

OMG Tasha…

Donuts are my favorite desert in the whole world and are my biggest struggle with this Keto thing. Also, plain ol’ spaghetti noodles covered in meatball spaghetti sauce and melted cheese. At least Zoodles offer me some form of that. It’s not spaghetti, but it works.

Now if I could only find delicious Keto donuts.

Cheryl October 26, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Happy friday!!! Will have a house full of relatives later today to celebrate my son’s 21st birthday this weekend!!!

So many pretties up there I need to look more closely at when I get the chance. :)

Michele G October 26, 2018 at 10:51 AM

Tasha, you’re killing me with all the yummy donut and croissant talk…I’m drooling just reading it…and gaining weight just thinking about it. But yay for you that you’re reading Waiting on the Sun! It’s so good! Enjoy it!!

Michele G October 26, 2018 at 10:52 AM

I have to say I’d like to be a fly on the wall watching Nay try to get these lashes on! Sounds pretty entertaining!

Tasha J October 26, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Twins, Maryse! I just ate spaghetti last night. I did not last till this afternoon either. Lol I’d say it’s a cheat day, but that would be a lie. ;) I’m having basil chicken with rice tonight, so that’s healthy. Right? And tomorrow, omg I’m so excited! My daughter shares a birthday with my stepdad and niece so we do a birthday dinner annually for them and this year my Mom’s cooking instead of going out to eat. And we’re doing an Italian themed dinner. So, spaghetti with choice of marinara or alfredo, meatballs, chicken marsala, veggies, garlic bread, and a 3 tier Italian cream cake from one of my favorite local shops. *sigh* I’ve been anxiously waiting to stuff my face all week! Oh, and see the fam. Haha

Nay October 26, 2018 at 12:22 PM

Michele–you would have cracked up! I was crying from laughing so hard. I’m already uncoordinated and have TERRIBLE depth perception (my nickname growing up was Grace and hubs calls me Clara–Clara Klutz).

However, with a little planning, I WILL do it! It’s impossible for me to put them on standing up and leaning toward the mirror. So I’m going to have to take my meds that keep my hands from shaking (the immunosupressants make them tremor sometimes), sit down in front of a mirror with my arms on a table to steady them, and aim a very bright light directly at my face. And I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to get some of these readers too. Then I’ll be all set! Easy peasy!

Nay October 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Cheryl–happy birthday to your son!

Leslie M October 26, 2018 at 1:00 PM

*giggles over Nay’s eyelash dilemma*

Michele G October 26, 2018 at 1:31 PM

OMG – those readers tho?! I’m cracking up!

Maryse October 26, 2018 at 1:46 PM

Nay, you’ll become a pro in NO time. One section at a time.

ALSO… I’m still trying to master putting on two sections close to each other because the magnetic pull of the perfectly installed first section, pulls the next section I’m trying to install… right out of my fingers.

So then I end up with two-three layers of lashes on one section. LOL!!!!

*sigh*

I’m getting better at it. But with a nice wide section (piece), I can usually get away with only putting on one piece and it still look nice and full (but not crazy).

bev October 26, 2018 at 2:43 PM

You guys should look up Diddy being scared by a clown on Ellen DeGeneres show.

Amy October 26, 2018 at 2:51 PM

*tries to cover snort about Nay and her eyelashes. :P

Just in time for Halloween…There’s Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins is on sale for 2.99, down from 9.99! I haven’t read it but hopefully it’s creepy.

Speaking of creepy, I watched episode 5 of Hill House last night (Nell’s episode and the backstory of the bent-neck lady). I was teary-eyed by the end. Holy moly, it was creepy but so damn emotional. If the lady who plays Nell doesn’t make your heart hurt with her acting then I don’t know what will.

And I’ll never be able to hear Heavenly Days again without feeling this way. :cry:

I have to say as well that I’m LOVING this show. All those hidden ghosts you’ll miss if you blink?? *shudder*

Amy October 26, 2018 at 2:53 PM

OMG those covers are horrid…

Teri October 26, 2018 at 4:37 PM

I’m 1-click happy! Breathless by Cherrie Lynn :-) Thanks Maryse for sharing that little tidbit on FB for us. I’m thrilled to spend a little more time in the life of “MY” Ghost (Seth), yah!

Just curious, did any of you ladies watch PBS’s The Great American Read? Did anything stand out? Any “must” read recommendations?

Tasha J October 26, 2018 at 5:27 PM

I’ve watched the Duffy clip, over and over. It’s hilarious. Lol!
I’m pranking my daughter with a realistic rubber mouse in her bed tonight. Followed by a cockroach in the bedroom. *rubs hands together*

Jan October 26, 2018 at 5:56 PM

Dooooonnnnnuuutttsss. Sounds so yum!

bev, those covers are hysterical. OMG, what were they thinking? Made me laugh, anyways.

Well, hubs and I went to see A Star Is Born yesterday. We both loved it. *happy sigh* and *sad sigh* You know the train wreck is coming, but you can’t stop watching. Loved the music. And Lady Gaga is stunning.

Tasha J October 26, 2018 at 7:06 PM

Prank was a bust. She missed the 1 in the bathroom though, so there is hope.

Amy October 27, 2018 at 2:21 PM

Someone…ANYONE who has been watching Hill House, I need to talk about it!! If Nell’s episode had me teary-eyed, the Eulogy episode had me wiping my eyes the whole time and full on FEELING the grief while still getting the creeps.

Ugh, I’m going to scrub my house then run about 5 miles and then immerse myself in Trailer Park Heart…

Jan October 27, 2018 at 6:03 PM

This is a funny list of texts sent between book bffs.

Tessa October 27, 2018 at 8:30 PM

I looked and I haven’t tried but I thought you could browse, Maryse.

There is a bunch if you look. :)

Jenn October 27, 2018 at 8:47 PM

Any-I’m with you girl. I finished the series this past Tuesday and still can’t stop thinking about it. I know Maryse was watching it too not sure where she’s at. I cried a lot so your not alone. Nell and Luke got me the most.

Also can’t wait to hear your thoughts on Trailer Park Hearts. I finished it yesterday.

Amy October 28, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Jenn!!! Thank you for responding! Nice to know I’m not alone in how I’m feeling. I was expecting creepiness (and holy moly, do we get it with all of the hidden ghosts you’ll miss of you blink) but I was NOT expecting this level of emotion. The actors and actresses did a phenomenal job of making their grief palpable.

Have you read how each sibling seems to represent one of the five stages of grief? Verrrrrry interesting…

Amy October 28, 2018 at 2:13 PM

As for TPH, I’m enjoying it. I do find myself skimming a bit when her internal musings get a little redundant (my only minor complaint) but so far so good.

bev October 28, 2018 at 2:58 PM

Tessa, do you play League of Legends?

I keep seeing it because Bobby of iKON did a remix of the song.

Tessa October 28, 2018 at 4:52 PM

I haven’t, no. There are so many games out there. :) It looks cute, but rather simple. I’d have to play to know for sure.

Tessa October 28, 2018 at 4:53 PM

Oh, Dark Harmony by Laura Thassala is out! *squees* It’s book four of the Bargainer series.

Jenn October 28, 2018 at 5:32 PM

Amy-ah yes the hidden ghosts-many I didn’t even realize but the one that creeped me out the most that I did notice and my husband didn’t believe me and had to rewind it was the one whereTheo opens the hidden passage and it’s behind the ladder in the basement. I think Nell’s episode (5) was the most emotional of the whole series at least for me. And no I didn’t realize the whole 5 stages of grief but I looked it up after you mentioned it and yes very interesting indeed. There was 5 of them each representing one of them. Oh and I also looked up all the hidden ghost and now I want to rewatch it as I missed 90%of them. It really was a great series.

Amy October 28, 2018 at 6:21 PM

LOL Jenn! I went through the same thing with MY hubby…and most of the time I ended up p!ssed off at him because he was so cocky when he was insisting there was no ghost. I’d pause it and BAM. In your face Cocky Bastard.

OMG that face under/behind the ladder… *shudder* The one which creeped ME out the most was the one looking through the window in the kitchen door when Theo walked by while the twins were playing with that phone thingy.

Nell’s episode and the Eulogy episode tie for most emotional with me, but for different reasons. Nell’s past was so damn tragic (Nell, sobbing: “I’ve missed you” Arthur: “I know” WAAAAAAAAH!!! :cry: Just kill my crying a$$ now) but the Eulogy was almost…suffocating, I guess, from the grief that was expressed in all of their different ways.

We’re finishing the last episode tonight, and I’ll probably go through withdrawals for a while. *sigh*

Jenn October 28, 2018 at 6:41 PM

lol Amy “cocky bastard”

Jenn October 28, 2018 at 6:46 PM

I think Maryse needs to create a discussion post just for this series so all who have watched have a place to go.

Jenn October 28, 2018 at 6:53 PM

Oh and Amy I am going through serious withdrawals and I’m trying to convince my husband again to watch it and he just doesn’t get it. I will on my own at some point. Omg yes the Eulogy-utterly heartbreaking. But I keep thinking about Nell ep 5, she just captivated me. Dancing with Arthur through Hill House that just gutted me

Amy October 28, 2018 at 7:33 PM

The woman who played Nell did a PHENOMENAL job.

This:

I’ll be in the corner sobbing if you need me…

Amy October 28, 2018 at 7:35 PM

Wait…if that one doesn’t work then try this:

NOW I’m going to my corner.

Jenn October 28, 2018 at 7:46 PM

Omg Amy yes-I’m now in your corner too

Jenn October 28, 2018 at 7:48 PM

Oh and in case it was not already clear I’m there *sobbing*

Amy October 28, 2018 at 8:15 PM

*Heavenly Day plays in background*

*hugs Jenn while rocking and sobbing*

Jenn October 29, 2018 at 5:22 AM

Jenn gives *squeezy hugs to Amy* right back. I think that song will stay with me forever!

Jenn October 29, 2018 at 6:22 AM

or maybe just haunt me forever *shudders*