What’s your all-time favorite book (if you could choose just one)? Oh, I know (and I’m sorry to put your book-loving brain through this one…) It’s a toughie and it’s almost impossible for us to choose. I know I stumble over that question regularly. 😉 Our absolute favorite can depend on our current mood, or the genre, or simply the fact that… a few just equally stand out as our #1.
Our favorites can be one that has sentimental value, can be from our childhood, can be our “first”… or can be the one that put us in a reading frenzy. Our favorite might even be one that seems to be everyone’s favorite. Or it might be one that’s just a little more personal. A little more… obscure.
Our favorites can be easy to list if we can list a bunch of ’em, but… what’s the one that just flashed in your head right now?
And you know what? Many (and I mean MANY) of you have managed to give me an answer, and I am in awe!! I have thousands of “#1 favorite” book titles from our fellow readers, so I will be posting them in groups of 50 over the next few weeks/months. Fun right? ‘Cause you know… while there are quite a few in these lists that didn’t surprise me (after all, we have very similar book-tastes), many of you have introduced me to some new ones, and I can’t wait to try ’em! Wow… how good they must be if you considered it a favorite. If it’s your favorite, I wanna read it!
So here they are, our fellow reader’s favorite books: Part ONE of “If I had to choose just one…”
- Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James<— Joanna says: “Fifty Shades of Grey because that’s what’s started it all for me… Before that I neverrrrr read. Now I can’t stop.” and Dianne agrees saying: “It is the only book that I have read over a dozen times.” ♥ (check out Maryse’s review)
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee <— Jennifer says: “To kill a Mockingbird is my favorite books of all times.” Jessamyn and Ashley agree! Ashley says: “Hands down To Kill a Mockingbird. I read it for the first time in highschool and I’ve read it countless times since then. I get so excited when I see it referenced in other books!”
- Animal Farm by George Orwell <— Claudia says: “I would have to choose “Animal farm” Read that back in high school. Made me fall in love with reading…”
- Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) by Stephenie Meyers <— Morgan chooses this: “Twilight. It started my reading addiction. I have reread it several times and still love it!” and Andrenella agrees: “I have to say my all time favorite book is Twilight, its what got me into reading!! ))” ♥ (check out Maryse’s review)
- Beautiful Disaster: A Novel by Jamie McGuire <— Lisa’s choice! ♥ Jenn agrees: “My favorite has been Beautiful Disaster, there is just something about Travis.” and Heather says: ” I think I have to go with Beautiful Disaster. I just love it so so much and it really started my love of reading. I’m in Jamie Mcguire’s debt for that one.” (check out Maryse’s review).
- Death Be Not Proud (P.S.) by John J. Gunther <— this one made Brandi cry! “My all time favorite book…. Death Be Not Proud by John J. Gunther. I cried my eyes out reading this one, but it was worth it.”
- Fury: 1 (New Species) by Laurann Dohner <— Jessia says: “my favorite all time book would have to be fury by laurann dohner i love all her books but this one i can reread and love it each and everytime” (check out Maryse’s review)
- Outlander: with Bonus Content by Diana Gabaldon <— My favorite book was Outlander. That’s the one that started it all for me and got me back into reading a few years ago. Hundreds of books later (most recommended or reviewed by you) I still can’t get my fill of Jamie and Claire. (check out Maryse’s review).
- Collide (Volume 1) by Gail McHugh <— Anton chooses this: My favourite book would have to be Collide by Gail McHugh.♥ (check out Maryse’s review)
- The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition <— Deb chose this one: My fave is Diary of Anne Frank.
- Oh, the Places You’ll Go! by Dr. Seuss <— Marissa selects this one!
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen <— I knew this one would come up and Jen was the first to announce it as her favorite. “All time Favorite would have to be Pride and Prejudice.”
- Reflected in You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia Day <— Deborah selects this one: “Right now, my favorite book is definitely Reflected in You by Sylvia Day. I keep rereading it and finding something new each time!!” (check out Maryse’s review).
- I Know This Much Is True (P.S.) <– Michelle couldn’t help but choose two! Saying: “My second favorite book is I Know This much is True by Wally Lamb. Slammed bumped it from the first spot:) Collen Hoover is genius!” Marjie agrees: “My fav is This much is true. It really stuck with me!”
- Slammed: A Novel by Colleen Hoover <— which is Michelle’s first pick! (check out Maryse’s review)
- Sanguinary by Emma L. Edwards <— Julia chose this one!
- A Painted House by John Grisham <— Jaime chose this: “I think my all time favorite book is A Painted House by John Grisham. I can read this book over and over and over!”
- This Man (This Man Trilogy) by Jodi Ellen Malpas —> Janie chooses: “My favorite book would be This Man by Jodi Ellen Malpas.”
- The Fever Series 5-Book Bundle: Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever, Dreamfever, Shadowfever <— Oh I love this series, and so does Shelly! “So hard to choose just one as my favorite, but if I had to pick, it would be the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning.” (I reviewed ’em all, but here is my review of book# 1)
- The Color of Water by Octavia Butler as suggested by Richelle “The Color of Water by Octavia Butler. I read that in high school and still remember it 10 years later!!” (sidenote: Okay I’m finding the book and the author, but not together, so here is a book by Octavia Butler: Kindred (Bluestreak) and here’s what appears to be the book this fellow reader suggested: The Color of Water 10th Anniversary Edition by James McBride).
- Walking Disaster: A Novel by Jamie McGuire <— Stephanie chooses one of my favorites! “Right now I would have to say Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!” (check out Maryse’s review)
- Little Women (Enriched Classics) by Louisa May Alcott <— Molly suggests this one: “The one book I’ve been reading over and over for years is Little Women. I loved it as a kid, and still pull it out to read like it’s an old friend. I have other favorite books, but this one has been my favorite the longest.”
- A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks <— Haley chooses: “My all time favorite book would have to be….. goodness what a tough decision…..A Walk to Rememeber by Nicholas Sparks. I remember reading that in 7th grade and just being amazed…not to mention I felt grown up!”
- Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain) by Kristen Ashley <— Tamika loves this one: “My favorite book right now is Lady Luck by Kristen Ashley. My favorite book used to change often but this is the only book I can read over and over again and still experience the same deep feelings as the first time I read it.” (check out Maryse’s review).
- Love You Forever by Robert Munsch <— Aileen chooses this one!
- The Outsiders by SE Hilton <—- Beverly chooses: “All time favorite book has to be The Outsiders by SE Hinton. Got it from my mom and wore out the binding on it I read it so much.”
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Jane Brontë <— Kat’s choice: “At this point if I had to choose an all time favorite book it’s ‘Wuthering Heights’.”
- Acheron (Dark-Hunter, Book 12) by Sherrilyn Kenyon <— Jamie chooses another one of my favorites saying: “Omg, it has to be Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon!! I could read it over and over… He is the love of my fantasy life!!” (check out Maryse’s review)
- The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle <— Katherine’s choice: “I would have to go with The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle”
- Rain of Gold by Víctor E. Villaseñor <— Sarah chooses this one!
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein <— Autumn’s choice
- Matilda by Roald Dahl <— Jess can’t pick just one, so here are her two: “My fave of all time would have to be Matilda by Raul Dahl from my childhood. My favorite currently is Easy. That book is amazing!”
- Easy by Tammara Webber <— and she chooses this one, too! (check out Maryse’s review)
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald <— Raquel says: “My all-time favorite book is “The Great Gatsby”. This classic story is so well written and can apply to today.”
- The Complete Harry Potter Collection by J.K. Rowling <— Tyna’s favorite: “If I had to pick it would be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. I’ve read it at least 8 times and I’m still on the edge if my seat every time. Best end to a series I’ve read as of yet.”
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell <— LaDondra suggests one I’m embarrassed to admit that I still haven’t read yet. “Gone with the Wind is my favorite book of all time. It is the most realistic love story ever.”
- Interview with the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles) by Anne Rice<— Vampire lover Debbie says: “Interview with the Vampire. It’s what started my vampire obsession!”
- Redeeming Love: A Novel by Francine Rivers <— Monique chooses “Redeeming Love-is my favorite book by Francine Rivers ❤”
- Pink and Say by Patricia Palacco <— Kala: “My favorite book of all time is Pink and Say by Patricia Palacco.”
- Tandia by Bryce Courtney<—- Jo chooses this one: “My favourite is Tandia by Bryce Courtney”
- The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks <— Belen says: “My all time favorite book The Best Of Me by Nicholas Sparks”
- The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett <— Jenn tells us: “My favorite book of all time would be Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett!”
- The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski <— Sarah’s: “I think right now, my favorite book is The Edge of Never. It has just really stuck with me ever since I read it.” (check out Maryse’s review)
- Fire and Hemlock by DianaWynne Jones<— Kimberly’s favorite: “My favorite book ever (at last count, I’ve read it 14 times, I think!) is Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones. (Really, anything she’s written is great!)”
- Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1) by J.R Ward <— Zabrina says: “Any black dagger brotherhood book!!!!!! Love me some jr ward!!!!!!” (Agreed!!!) Kendell also agrees: “One book! oh my it’s very hard! I would say Dark Lover by JR Ward. Because it really got me back into reading the para romance genre.❤❤” (check out Maryse’s review)
- Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon<— Jennifer loves: “Best book for me would be Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon.”
- What Dreams May Come: A Novel by Richard Matheson<— Julie loves this one, though… the movie edition.
- Sempre by J.M. Darhower <— Loved by Jamie! (and me!) – check out Maryse’s review
- Brideshead Revisited Robyn suggests: “My all time favorite book is Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.”
- The Mighty Storm by Samantha Towle <— Judith admits: “It was twilight but now the mighty storm is a fav! Of course all the brothers (black dagger brotherhood of course) are close to my heart but jake and his rock star looks wins all the time…” (check out Maryse’s review)
The Bronze Horseman. I loved that such a beautiful and profound love story could blossom even in a time in history that was so horrendous. I couldn’t put that series down.
YES!!!!!! Janet I loved that one, too. I need to finish #2, (I’m halfway through) ’cause I hear #2 & #3 are AMAZING too.
Yesss… Outlander by Diana Gabaldon rocked my world back in the 90’s and I have not stopped reading since. Love Jamie and Clair 4ever… 🙂
Yes I was just going to say The Bronze Horseman!!! Its great to see their story to the end of the series too. I’m loving Outlander just as much right now too!!
Ooops- spelled Clair wrong *Claire*… yep been a few years even though I have read the series several times!
My To-Read list just got considerably longer… If only I didn’t have to sleep!
REAL by Katy Evans ❤ it used to be BD but Remy KO’d Travis and set him down a notch 😉
Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr. This is a book I’ve read and re-read and I love it every time. There are ideas in this book that at any point I can think about and totally get lost in thought. It’s wonderful!
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. A totally different genre but a story about class structure that is true in every society.
“How to Kill a Rockstar”
I have lots of favorites, but this one ripped my heart into a million pieces yet repaired it completely.
One of my favs too, Jennifer. I sobbed on the couch at 3am… and sent out sobby emails to my reading friend’s work email, freaking out. Then she got to work that morning, and her office had a good laugh. *sigh* LOL!
Thoughtless, Effortless and Reckless by S.C. Stephens
YES! I was shocked not to see it on the list!
Time Stands Still (Emi Lost & Found Series book 2) I’ve never had a book make me cry so much!
I’m definitely gonna have to second The Bronze Horseman. It had me feeling every emotion possible… breathless at times. Beautifully heartwrenching story.
Hahaha, Maryse! Too funny! I’m with you!
I think “How to Kill a Rockstar” is the only book that choked me up so bad that I sobbed like toddler with a booboo! I haven’t been able to read it again. I just think about it and smile!
REAL by Katy Evans. Love the issues and roughness of this book. FSOG close 2nd.
My best book, the one that I wait for years to forget most of it so I can read it again, and again…made me laugh AND sob…”YEARS” by Lavyrle Spencer. Had you mom crying too Maryse.
You gotta read YEARS. You need to read this book.
And my mom and my aunt agree wholeheartedly. I will bring it back to the top of my Kindle right now.
Outlander for me as well. Nobody tops Jamie Fraser for me. The first and third are my favorites so far in the series.
Hi maryse mine has to be K.BRomberg Driven book 1 and Fueled book 2 love them so much
I LOVE The Driven Trilogy by K. Bromberg! Driven and Fueled are both amazing, and Crashed is currently in the works 🙂
Eva Hoffman’s Lost In Translation
Hoffman is from Poland and migrated with her family to Canada and then moved to the US as an adult and is now living in the UK. Beautifully written. As a migrant myself (from the US to France) so much of what she says strikes a chord with me. This was one I shared with my Franco-American daughter and she loved it as much as I did.
Well, it doesn’t get any tougher than this, does it? To choose only one?? Impossible.. but to narrow it down based on the effect it had on my life or mood at that particular time it has to be Twilight (never has another series had such a profound effect on me.. I have been in love with Edward Cullen ever since), any of the Black Dagger Brotherhood books (particularly Zsadist), and Wallbanger because I have never laughed so much in a book before. I am reading The Sea of Tranquility next and based on all the reviews I have a feeling my favorite book list might shift around a little bit afterwards!
So hard to choose. I would have to go with Easy. When I need a pick me up, I tend to go back to that one.
My all time favs:
Memoirs of a Geisha
Captive in the Dark/Seduced in the Dark
The Bronze Horseman
The Tea Rose
I agree with How to Kill a Rockstar!!!!!!!!!!
LOVED!!!! I have to say Twilight too because of the impact.
Outlander is by far my favorite too! I even have a tattoo of what is engraved inside Claires wedding ring! How excited are you for the tv series comming out next year?????
So hard to just pick one, but surprised no one has mentioned Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay – definitely a FAVORITE! I recommend it to everyone! This is great Maryse, adding more books to my TBR that I haven’t read like How to Kill a Rockstar…..thank you!
I absolutely love The Light in the Wound..!!
Driven & Fueled by Kristy Bromberg . I loved Driven but read Fueled over two week ago and still, have a book hangover. I’m dying for Crashed. #needmoreColton #writeKristywrite
The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
“Me Before You” by Jojo Moyes
LADY LUCK – KRISTEN ASHLEY
My favourite started out with The Twilight Saga then moved to the Black Dagger Brotherhood and The Night Huntress through many many paranormal reads then onto The Mighty Storm as rockers go and currently settling to contemporary and The Collide series by Gail McHugh – WOW I love my favourites !!!
Ooops – almost forgot Kristen Ashley’s Rock Chick series !!!
Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster
I collect versions of this, written over a hundred years ago but it caught my imagination as a child, the love builds beautifully.
Closey followed by Georgette Heyer’s Cotillian, my go to books
Hmmm I love that question because I read all the time now but when I was younger not as much. Those books stuck with me…the Count of Monte Cristo is by far my favorite reading it about twelve times, but a very close second was the True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. The first “Kick ass girl” book I read! 🙂
OMG! Maryse how can I just choose one, l love so many; but I guess “Fifty Shades of Grey” cause that is how I became addicted to these books. (and “Bared to You”, If I Were You”, “Rush” “Just One Night”, “Beauty from Pain’, “In his Cuffs”, ” A Table For Three”, ‘Conviction”, “Hopeless”, Beautiful Disaster”, “Anything He Wants”, and the list goes on and on!!!!!! hehe!
Great timing for this posting, thank you.
Agree with so many above and now my TBR runnith over.
My ultimate (this year) has been Slammed – just amaz-balls!
I’d also include as they have not been mentioned above:
The Sweet Thing
Flat out Love
Gosh thats a tough one cant choose! These are ones that rocked my world and/or stayed with me long after I was done.
The Kite Runner-Khalid Hosseini
Fifty shades of grey,darker,freed-e.l james
the edge of neve-j.a redmerski
me before you- jojo moyes
P.s I LOVE YOU(TEEN VERSION)
Dear john – nicholas sparks
Nothing left to loose-kirsty moseley
Fighting to be free – kirsty moseley
Only one? Oh my it’s impossible , I have so so many favourites… all Black Daggers Brothehood, Time Stand Still …
Only one….well it has been almost a year since I read The Sea Of Tranquility and I can still remember this story as if I just finished it. There is not one book I have read that I can remember the last two words…but this book those last two words I remember… Just WOW-When I even think about it I tear up…..I plan on re-reading this next month!
I agree Jenn….the last two words of Sea of Tranquility will NEVER leave me!!!!!!!!
You need to add Lisa Renee Jones’ Inside Out Series. Iblove everything about this series.. Love, Suspense, Murder ans Sex 😉 I can read and reread it and never get tired of it.
Driven and Fueled by K. Bromberg
Hi Maryse♥! I totally agree with Barbara Murray, The Light in the Wound by Christine Brae is freaking Amazing! I love love it! ♥
The Stand by Stephen King, way ahead of his time on that one.
For romance, the book I have re-read many times is At Peace by Kristen
Ashley, I guess Joe is solidly in my heart. Someone also mentioned Years by Lavyrle Spencer. One of my favorites too.
The Reluctant Dom. Nuf Said.
This is the ultimate question for an avid reader! My favourite is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. It’s a classic and speaks to the human condition. Noo one wants to be alone. I can read this over and over again. Shelley makes you feel and understand Frankenstein.
Have to agree with those who cited The Reluctant Dom (what a powerful book) and Brideshead Revisited (this one I read and re-read).
I loved the Time Traveller’s Wife. I think it was the first book I ever read twice! So different from anything I had ever read.
The Sea Of Tranquility & True Love Story! 🙂
ok. i keep thinking its just so hard to pick just one book or SERIES because i love Madiline Sheehan’s Undeniable and Unbeautifully books. ugh so hard
It’s a tie between The Stand by Stephen King – the ultimate good vs. evil book which I have read at least 4 times; and The Outlander by Diana Gabaldon – the first book that made me cry.
This is so hard!! I guess Rough Canvas by Joey Hill, I Think it’s a Masterpiece. But I have So Many More!!!
Make Me, Sir by Cherise Sinclair. Adore the whole series but there is something about this book that makes me read it over and over again. Just typing this makes my fingers twitch for my Kindle.
Hey, the book that stands out for me is Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. Love it…read it multiple times. Also, Acheron by SK. There
Are so many….
Real by Katy Evans