Today’s reader question day will feature specific reader requests for genre recommendations. Let’s make lists!! 😀
Okay, Debbie asks:
Hi all I have been so busy I have not been able to read for a while and every time I do pick up a book I lose interest quickly. Seems like the same plots just different characters. I am going on vacation and I want a book that is unputdownable 😉
Like the old days, Bones and Cat, Slammed, Thoughtless those are just a few that popped in my head. I have read so many great books!
I just want to get my love for reading back and take a break from the real world. What are some of the best books you all have read lately and would recommend.
Okay I’ll go first! :D!!!
I want to mention two of my latest 5-stars
Transcend (The Transcend Duet Book 1) & Epoch (The Transcend Duet Book 2) by Jewel E. Ann <— I found this duet to be incredibly unique and I couldn’t put it down – plus that incredible love triangle had me hooked (I was in love with both, and it was angsty as anything!!),
My Oxford Year: A Novel by Julia Whelen <— LOVED LOVED LOVED it (5-stars PLUS!!).
I felt like I had a new fun family, and the romantic tension was off the charts with one particular professor. 😉 But best yet? It had me gasping and crying and totally feeling it, through and through.
I also hear (and it’s at the top of my TBR list) that the “The Ribbon series” by Pepper Winters is unique and utterly addictive. I think that’s next for me. I need addictive!!
Okay now you guys… what do you recommend a recent-ish ultimate 5-star favorite?
Shanny: I just finished Nanny and the Beast Nanny and the beast. could not put it down.
- Roam series by Kimberly Adams <— ” I love everything about these books and don’t forget there is a spinoff series called Fire Ballad. Read Roam and let me know if you fell in love with them also.”
- Jack & Jill series by Jewel E Ann….really any of her books are gold!
- The Idea of You: A Novel by Robinne Lee <— “…That book! GAH! I just can’t get started on that again.”
- Unbreak My Heart (Fostering Love) by Nicole Jacquelyn <— “…my favorite angsty, mean jerk book… How can you top Shane’s crazy?! One of my most favorite books!”
- The Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard <— “Victoria Aveyard has a gift for writing. Her words and story flow so easily. I love a book where I can just read, not having to stop for grammar or continuity mistakes. I got so involved with the h, Mare’s cause and all the people she pulled into it with her, especially Cal, the H. These books had everything in them that I love, except sexy times, which were only alluded to because this is a YA book. That was okay because there was so much other stuff going on that kept me enraptured. Beautifully written series, I highly recommend it!”
- The Tainted Accord series by Kelly St. Clare <— “I’m reading the last book of the Tainted Accords by Kelly St. Clare and I don’t want them to end. These books are that good! … I got my groove back with these beauties!”
- Dartmoor series and Sons of Rome series by Lauren Gilley <— “Lauren Gilley and her Dartmoor series is the BEST!”
Leslie M: Some unputdownables I have read this year:
- All Your Perfects: A Novel by CoHo
- True North Series by Sarina Bowen
- Panic Series by Sidney Halston
- Sugar Bowl Series by Sawyer Bennett <— “I typically don’t like romantic suspense, but this was exciting and hard to put down.”
- In Harmony by Emma Scott <— “…both the h & H made me emotional. He lives in poverty with very abusive Dad and she has PTSD from rape she kept secret.”
- Behind the Bars (Music Street Series) by Brittainy Cherry <— “I have to rec Behind the Bars as this is one of the most emotional, tear-jerky books EVER. If you have read any of Ms. Cherry’s books, you know what to expect.”
- Waiting for the Sun: Waiting for the Sun, Part One by Robin Hill
Nay: All of these are on my favorites of the year in which I read them list.
If you love the forbidden/taboo (age gap and student/teacher type), I inhaled Lessons In Corruption (The Fallen Men Series Book 1) and Welcome to the Dark Side (The Fallen Men Book 2) (Fallen Men 1 & 2) by Giana Darling. And both books in the Off Balance series: Balance and Execution. LOVED, LOVED all 4 of those!!
- Disgrace by Brittainy Cherry
- Ghosted by J.M. Darhower
- Drive Kate Stewart
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A Novel by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Jezebel and oh m gee.
Atticus: A Woman’s Journey with the World’s Worst Behaved Dog was a fun read.
Transcendence was different
Jen C: I’m SO late to the party reading it but I finally read The Hating Game: A Novel by Sally Thorne a couple of months ago and it was my fave read of the year so far.
- The End Men Series (Folsom and Jackal so far) by Tarryn Fisher and Willow Aster.
- Sarina Bowen e.g. Man Hands series – so funny! Can’t wait for the next one!
- I absolutely adored the Dirty Duet series by Laurelin Paige.
- Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas.
- Jock Row (Jock Hard Book 1) by Sarah Ney (and anything by her, really).
- Anything by Jana Aston and R.S. Grey.
- I second Jewel E Ann! I have been reading a few of her older books recently like Scarlet Stone (need. to. read. them. all.) and they are also really good!
They’ve been my can’t-put-down-5-star-reads for me so far this year!
Ashley: Absolutely everything by Jana Aston is amazing!!
Melinda: I suggest the following
- Of Love and Madness series There’s 3 books in the series by Karen Cimms rock star book.
- Beautiful Player (The Beautiful Series Book 5) by Christina Lauren
- All Your Perfects by Colleen Hoover
- To Love Jason Thorn by Ella Maise
- Room 212 by Kate Stewart
- RUSH by Emma Scott
- Scoring Wilder by R.S. Grey
- Wallbanger (The Cocktail Series Book 1) by Alice Clayton
- THERAPY by Kathryn Perez
- Oh I forgot, don’t know how I forgot Arsen. A broken love story by Mia Asher
Joy: I read a ton of really, really great, unputdownable books this year! I’ll try to keep it short and give you a few that I’ve read more than once.
- Drive: Kate Stewart
- Knight (The Unfinished Heroes Series Book 1): Kristen Ashley
- Absinthe: Winter Renshaw
- The Transcend Duet: Jewel E. Ann
- When Life Happened: Jewel E. Ann
- The Brave Line: Kate Stewart
- Torn (Devils Wolves Book 1): Carian Cole
- Tied (Devils Wolves Book 2): Carian Cole
- Eighteen (18): Based on a True Story: JA Huss
- It Ends with Us: A Novel: Colleen Hoover
- Wolfsong and Ravensong: TJ Klune!!!!
- Jana Aston: Read All of her books. Can’t put them down. Wrong is soooo good!
- Filthy Gods (American Gods): R. Scarlett
- L.J. Shen: Sinners of Saint series, Midnight Blue & Sparrow
- Transcendence: Shay Savage
- Louise Bay: read everything she writes. So good!
- Vi Keeland: read everything she writes
- Bad Judgment: Meghan March
- New Camelot series: Sierra Simone. Start with this. It’s freaking AMAZING!
- Ella Frank: Confessions series and the Temptation series
- Katy Evans: read everything she writes!
- Birthday Girl: Penelope Douglas
- Whitney G: read everything she writes
- Ilsa Madden-Mills: read everything she writes
- The Needing Moore Series: Julie A. Richman
- Dirty Duet, P*rn Star: Laurelin Paige
Kim: The Simple Wild: A Novel! K.A Tucker does it again and better!
Etsun: Ohhhhh… goody.
- Grip and Still by Kennedy Ryan (I don’t know why many haven’t read this, bit I think I can honestly say it is one of the best books I have read. Also FYI they are two books )
- 2nd The Ribbon Duet by pepper is seriously a must read. Explicitly written. It simply is flowless. If you require a good contemporary romance that has well woven background and story line then this is your vice.
- 3rd The Hating Game by Sally. Is one of the best books IN THE WORLD. You will fall in love with quirky Lucy and swoon for Josh. I have re-read this book at least 6 times and it keeps getting better.
- 4th One by Jewel E. Ann. This is actually from the jack and jill series. Not sure if you have read it but this one is about the sister Lake and YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE!!!!! In my humble opinion I think it jewel has out done her self in this one.
- Memorable mentions:- Jock Row by Sara
- Long Shot: A HOOPS Novel by Kennedy Ryan
- Birthday Girl
Ashley: A lot of the ones I really liked were already mentioned. I keep looking at everyone’s lists and saying ‘Yes!’ I’ve also done a lot of re-listens; ALL of Mariana Zapatas books, K.A. Tucker’s Burying Water Series, Jana Aston’s books, and a bunch by Penelope Ward.
- Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas is my top top book of the year so far!
- R.S. Grey: Not So Nice Guy and Arrogant Devil
- Moonshot by Alessandra Torre (I only just listened to it! I loved it!)
- Tattered (Lark Cove Book 1) by Devney Perry
- Him and Us by Sarina Bowen (but basically everything by her).
- Getting Schooled by Emma Chase
- Waking Olivia by Elizabeth O’Roark
- Mercy by Debra Anastasia
Then, for a little bit more of angst and drama, The Controversial Princess and His True Queenby Jodie Ellen Malpas. It’s everything and more! A contemporary romance about the forbidden love that blooms between Adeline, the princess of england, and Josh, Hollywood’s latest heartthrob. You NEED to read this one.At least for now, those two where my recent favourites!
Jan: Binding 13: Boys of Tommen #1 is new and good. NA if you like that.