28 Friday Finds & Reader Recommendations – September 29th 2017

by Maryse on September 29, 2017 · 122 comments

in eBook Deals

SATURDAY MORNING BREAKING NEWS UPDATE!! :D !!! ALESSANDRA TORRE PSYCH-THRILLER ALERT!!!! LIVE!!! ➔ The Ghostwriter Yes. I will be reading this. ASAP!! ➔➔➔➔➔➔➔

She’s a famous romance writer and this is her last book…

“…But this one isn’t a romance, no Happily Ever After in place. This novel holds only the truth, which I have run away from for four years. The truth, which I have hidden from the police, from my loved ones, from the world.

This final book?

It’s my confession.”

HAPPY FRIDAY FINDS!!! Once upon a time, I had a BUNCH of books I wanted to read at the same time. And then I sort of put them in order, although I knew it could change at any time depending on my mood. And then… this week happened, and my entire TBR list changed again. *sigh* How? How does one read ALL of the books they wanna read at the same time? HOW??? HOWWWWWWW!!????

That’s okay. There can NEVER be too many book choices. When it comes to my reading world, it. is. perfect. :)

Take a look at what we found for the weekend!! :D

1. Racer by Katy Evans <— THE LATEST BY KATY EVANS IS LIVE!!! HOLY. MOLY. This cover!!!! ”...I’m supposed to watch him—make sure he doesn’t get into trouble.  But it’s an impossible task. And now the one in heart wrenching, toe-curling, soul-crushing trouble is me…

Melanie: Only 13% in, but so far so very very good ❤

Maryse: Oh this book will be so easy to imagine with that hero for a visual. ;)

Melanie: Absolutely

Chelli: Racer Tate!!! Yes!! Mine mine mine!!!

D.G.: Oh happy day!!! Racer is mine, oh mine!!! Woohoo!!!

• The Next Generation (Conversion Book 4) by S.C. Stephens <— THE LATEST BY S.C. STEPHENS IS LIVE!!! VAMPIRES ALERT! “…Born as partial vampires, a rare offshoot of pureblood vampires, the twins have had to deceive people their entire lives—distancing themselves from their peers. Nika desperately wants a hero, a soulmate, someone she can trust with every fiber of her soul...”

Danielle: just finished the newest How to Date a Douchebag book, and it was everything I’ve been waiting for to get me out of my book slump! I loved Rhett so damn much! It’s a nice change to read a book where the male lead is the one who is insecure and vulnerable. I spent most of the book just wanting to reach out and hug him lol. I honestly just fell so in love with him and know you all will too.

Tessa: Danielle, wasn’t he the sweetest? I just wanted to hug him throughout the book. He was probably the sweetest hero I’ve ever read.

• The Social Experiment by Addison Moore <— ADDISON MOORE’S LATEST IS LIVE!! Oooooh a dating social experiment!! And she knows him (and is not too happy). Sounds like fun… “Rowen Garret is a jackass of the highest order. I knew signing up for some experimental dating experience would not pan out to be a good thing, but after kissing a stranger in the dark for five solid savory minutes only to have the lights come on and expose him for the jerk he is, I have the sudden urge to strangle my new roommate who talked me into this nightmare...”
  • Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 3) by J.R. Ward <— J.R. WARD AWESOMENESS ALERT!!! OMG OMG OMG MY FAVORITE BOOK IN THE ENTIRE WORLD (well… one of them)  is super-bargain priced right now!!!!!! ZSADIST!!!!!!!!!!! The angriest, most brooding, hottest vampire in the world and I wanted to be BELLA SO BAD. I’ve read this one a few times, and still have the same butterflies in my belly. I. AM. IN. LOVE!!!!!!!! My review!!!

Maryse: P.S. To ME??? Z is the most broken book boyfriend. Most perfect, most broken, most amazing. <3

Katie: I just one clicked…do I need to read in order?

Maryse: Hi Katie!!!! Well each one CAN be read as a standalone (at least the first half of the series) because it’s about a different couple, however the characters reappear in each book, and “Z” (the hero in this one) – well… we get to know him and his MEAN personality in the first two books. So by the time we get to his book (this one), we’re REALLY on edge!!!! SO GOOOOOD.

Brooke:  OMG my most favorite as well. I love lots of books and lots of characters, but no has ever (or I suspect ever will) quite compare to Z.

Tina: LOVED THIS BOOK. Zsadist!!!!

Kim: He’s my favorite!!!!

• Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1) by J.R. Ward <—- P.S. J.R. WARD ALERT!!! THE FIRST ONE IS SALE-PRICED TOO. I must insist… just collect them all, and marathon read your heart out. You will LOVE them!!!
  • Hail No (Hail Raisers Book 1) by Lani Lynn Vale <— LIVE!!! LANI LYNN VALE’S LATEST! HE’S JUST BEEN RELEASED FROM PRISON… “Once he’s free, it takes him twenty-four hours to get his old job back, his dog at home where he belongs, and an understanding that people aren’t as forgiving as he once thought them to be.  He’s just about given up hope of ever integrating back into society when a woman slams into his heart, literally and figuratively…”
  • Bad Romance by by Heather Demetrios <— TRIGGER ALERT!! THIS ONE IS MAKING TASHA TENSE!!! I just read the blurb and this is now at the TOP of my TBR list.

Tasha: Bad Romance- really, really good. Definitely heavy triggers for me as I’ve been there before. The beginning and on, I really could see the falling and love and how easy it was to fall into the trap. I’m halfway now and the fighting has really started and because I’m older and wiser and this one scene is so obvious to anyone how unhealthy it is- I just want to shake them. Shake em both. I need to take a little break bc it’s making me tense. Lol, Off to make supper..

Jean: Bad Romance does sound relly good! I love that first line!

bev: Oooh, Bad Romance. Let me know what you think. Her I’ll Meet You There was one of my favorites last year. Loved it.

Tasha: I haven’t read a book this long in one day in I don’t know how long. Their drama and tension has exhausted me and I myself need a break from this couple. It’s all very realistic, I think, but any bad relationship takes its toll on all parties, right?

Amy: I clicked Bad Romance before looking at the price, and I considered returning it but… *shrug* It has a hauntingly beautiful cover and intriguing blurb (plus Tasha’s reaction) so it’s going to be a keeper for me!

Maryse: OH MY!!!! Bad Romance is going to be mine. HOLY MOLY how did I miss THAT one? Thank you Tasha!!!

• Malachi and I by J.J. McCoy <— JERK ALERT!!! J.J. McCVOY RECENT RELEASE FEEDBACK ALERT!!! Coolest blurb ever! “...What if I told you the greatest love stories ever told—Cleopatra and Mark Antony, Salim and Anarkali, Romeo and Juliet and so many more—are far greater tragedies than anyone has ever realized? What if I told you that you haven’t been reading a new story… just a new chapter in one epic saga? If I told you…all of those lovers…were actually the same two souls seeking their happily ever after over and over again, would you believe me?” and now we have feedback!!! D.G. is reading (and LOVING) this one:

D.G. I just started Malachi and Me and it is oh so good! I have a good feeling this one is going to be in the top best reads of 2017…squirrel!!!!

DG: ABSO-STINKING-LUTELY loved this book! I devoured it…Malachi was …do I dare say it…a jerk. Yep! He was a big ole jerk to ‘her’. Not a downright meanie but a jerk none the less. But come on…after falling and loving ‘her’ nine hundred and ninety-nine times who wouldn’t be a jerk. Or a little testy to say the least. Throw in Alfred who just made the book all the better and I have to say it was a FIVE STAR for me!!!!

Cait: Oh man if it freaked you out what the hell would it do to us! I’m so tempted now…
Jan: please read sexy mf series by lisa mackay. has a lot of 5 star reviews on amazon great story and well written by first time author
  • Paws for a Kiss (Canine Cupids Book 1) by Stephanie Rowe <— THIS ISN’T HER SCHTICK ;) “Crashing a ritzy party isn’t easy, especially for Bev Ryan, who prefers overalls to cocktail dresses, but she’ll do it for her dogs…even if it means taking on a hot, funny, and irritatingly stubborn business mogul....”
  • Scandalous (Sinners of Saint Book 4) by L.J. Shen <— BAD-ASS, BROODING SINGLE FATHER ALERT! This one is HUGELY popular right now (I’m reading it as we speak) and JulieO LOVED IT!!
Julie O: Just finished Scandalous at 4 this morning and damn was it good.  Got to catch up with all “the boys” and find out Trent’s story.  And Edie was tougher than nails.  Very good. Definitely recommend especially if you liked Viscious.
  • Unhinged by Natasha Knight <— RECENT RELEASE!!! A SCARRED, TATTOOED SAVAGE ALERT!! & Ashley loved it!
Ashley: I just finished Unhinged by Natasha Knight and I loved it. It grabbed me from the beginning- it’s intense and has a whole lot of chemistry between the leads. I highly recommend it!
DG: Just wanted to throw out there…Muscle Memory …5 stars for me! Stylo Fantome did not disappoint with Muscle Memory…throw in a little (a lot) of amnesia and some soulmate love…makes for an awesome book!
  • The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin <— OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I’ve seen these jaw-dropping, stomach-churning commercials for the movies and I HAVE TO SEE THIS. I. AM. TERRIFIED!!!!!!! And yet… soul-deep love (so titillated). Marla found it!
Marla: A must read. The mountain between us by Charles Martin. Such an amazing story. You all will love every single page and will be thinking about the ending for many moons! Highly recommend it. Read it soon as the movie is being released October 6.
  • Defying Gravity (Healing Hearts Book 2) by Laura Farr <— UNREQUITED LOVE ALERT! “...Devastated by the unrequited love she has for Josh, she has no choice but to sit back and watch him play the field, her heart breaking a little more each time she sees him…

AUDIOBOOK L:DVERS

For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>

• AND! Here’s the fun-tool again! —> Find out which of YOUR Kindle books are available as audiobooks at a BARGAIN-PRICE! <— This thing is so cool (Amazon calls it “Matchmaker“)! It’s an Amazon feature, that scans all of your Kindle books and will list all of the ones you have that are also available as an audiobook at a discounted price (not normal audiobook prices). This way, you can switch back and forth, seamlessly between your ebooks and your audiobooks. VERY COOL!
  1. 11-22-63: A Novel by Stephen King <— STEPHEN KING ALERT!!! E.C. LOVED IT!
E.C.: “I had never read Stephen King until recently. I listened to 11/22/63 on Audible. It was AMAZING!! One of my favorite books! I have always loved reading about the Kennedy family, so I’m sure that helped, but this book just sucks you in from the get go. I will add Gwendy’s Button Box” to my TBR list.”
Maryse: OMG I LOVED Gwendy’s Button Box!!!!!!! I read it, and devoured it, and felt it, and assimilated it. There is so much meaning to that creepy book. Perfection, to me.

PREORDERS (Next few days, and a few of next week’s!!! :D )

1. Selfless (Selfish Series Book 3) by Shantel Tessier – September 30th 2017
  2. Paper, Scissors, Rock by Nicole S. Goodin – September 30th 2017
  3. Guy Hater by J. Sterling – October 9th 2017
  4. Roomies by Christina Lauren - October 10th 2017
  5. The Consort (Ascension Book 3) by K.A. Linde – October 10th 2017
  6. Midnight Unleashed: A Midnight Breed Novella by Lara Adrian – October 10th 2017
  7. From This Moment by Melanie Harlow - October 10th 2017

Leslie M September 29, 2017 at 6:34 AM

Maryse, aren’t you all bright eyed and bushy tailed early this friday a.m.? Hee hee

Happy Friday!!

Leslie M September 29, 2017 at 6:40 AM

I am in my happy reading place right now. On book 3 of Tiffany Snow’s Risky Business series. Ms. Snow sure knows how to write love triangles!! I have no idea who the h will choose AND both options are fabulous & swoon worthy.

*happy book sigh*

No clue what to read after this. Maybe Muscle Memory per D.G.’s rec?!

Lisa Aiello September 29, 2017 at 7:01 AM

Good morning, lovelies! Happy Friday!!

Tasha J September 29, 2017 at 7:03 AM

I only ready the first in the Risky Business series, but I know I wanted to read more, so glad you’re liking it Leslie! I just finished Find Me (Corrupted Hearts 3) and Loved it!! This series is the closest in feels to the Kathleen Turner series in my opinion. Up until this book, I had no idea who to choose, but I know who I’m rooting for now. :) And omg with that last paragraph, didn’t see that coming at all.

Maryse September 29, 2017 at 7:32 AM

LOL Leslie!! I am… :) Goooooood coffee!!!!! ;)

Leslie M September 29, 2017 at 7:33 AM

Tasha, just thinking about Kathleen Turner series gives me butterflies. Blane and Kade???? Aaaaaahhh…swoon! I am very happy to hear that Corrupted Hearts is good. Can’t wait to read that series too. Aren’t love triangles just THE BEST?

Leslie M September 29, 2017 at 7:35 AM

Maryse, I am so tired this a.m. that my coffee needs a coffee. ;)

T.G.i.F. I am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.

Amy September 29, 2017 at 8:38 AM

Starbucks Morning Joe is the BEST at-home coffee. I usually drink half of a pot of it every morning and BA-BAM!!! I am ready to tackle the day! :D

Speaking of, it’s done brewing and I can smell it so time to start chuggin’…

Linda September 29, 2017 at 8:52 AM

Good morning guys!!! Love my keurig every morning!!! I must gloat over my latest reads!!! We Own Tonight, Bridget, I Want You and Sweet Gum Tree(sorry I kept dancing around this jewel). Anyone in a book slump? I luuuuved these precious babies!!! Now on your recommendation Maryse I’m almost half way thru Disorderly Conduct. Loving some “big man.” And yes I would’ve bypassed because of cover! Same with Bridget, I Want You. The cover?? Such a great story!!! Lots of delicious dirty humor.

Maryse September 29, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Linda… I miss his “cutie” so bad. *sigh* I fell hard for him. Oh yes I did.

D.G. September 29, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Starting Racer today!!! *happy Friday gonna read a good book dance*

bev September 29, 2017 at 3:05 PM

So do you love me this much: [] or this much: [ ]?

*looks for Fabi*

I’m pretty sure Fabi loves me this much:
[ ]

bev September 29, 2017 at 3:06 PM

Hmm. That was supposed to be Fabi loves me

[Looooooooooooooooooooooots]

;)

bev September 29, 2017 at 3:10 PM

Tessa #5. Not sure if you play this type but looks interesting.

Amy September 29, 2017 at 3:47 PM

bev!!! I love you [THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSS] much!!!! :D

Okay…it’s been a bit since the GoT finale and everyone who watches the show has most likely seen it, so I think I can safely post this now. I was literally snorting and cackling reading it. Still…

*****GoT SPOILER ALERT*****

Maryse September 29, 2017 at 4:38 PM

So…. I don’t even care about the price. I just totally one-clicked “Bad Romance”. This is the ONLY thing I’m in the mood to read right now, so I just had to… let myself. ;)

So Amy, if you wanna buddy-read with me, I’m going in. :D

Grey September 29, 2017 at 4:55 PM

I have 6 books that I want to get to. :lol: #FirstWorldProblems

LisaCfromDfw September 29, 2017 at 4:55 PM

Loved Racer. Best of the Real spin offs! I didn’t love the latest Douchbag book as much. I guess I like a confident H.

Amy September 29, 2017 at 5:23 PM

I’M IN!!!! Maryse, I am SO in!!

I have nothing planned for tonight but reading and blankies and fuzzy socks and a fluffy robe and hot tea, and Bad Romance sounds PERFECT.

Hey, I have something for us:

Except…I don’t have any salted caramel vodka. *pouts*

Grey September 29, 2017 at 5:24 PM

Cough syrup here. No Friday night football game. So I’m in for shenanigans… sort of. Tame shenanigans. Can we do tame ones?…

Amy September 29, 2017 at 5:37 PM

Any sort of shenanigans are acceptable ’round here. ;)

R. Renee September 29, 2017 at 5:40 PM

I’m having long island iced teas, so shenanigans aplenty…

Grey September 29, 2017 at 5:41 PM

I need Manny and a cuddle.

Tasha J September 29, 2017 at 6:31 PM

Omgoodness I’m so excited you guys are reading this!! I felt the narration was a little similar to You by Caroline Kepnes, which was cool. But, you drama lovers are in for a treat! Beware: you will feel just as suffocated as I did and want your space too, just like I did. I told my Mom it’s just like all my bad relationships and I just wanna break too! Definitely not for readers who like a strong, independent heroine. Which, I totally love too, but I also understand her and knew it would be a “bad romance” going in.

Leslie M September 29, 2017 at 6:40 PM

I am in a “not sure what I feel like reading next” mood. I definitely want a standalone. I don’t want romcom but not anything overly emotional either. Hmmmmm…I have over 800 on my TBR, I should be able to find a good one.

Tessa September 29, 2017 at 6:46 PM

Bev, that looks interesting, though it’s still beta mode. I’ll keep an eye out for it’s release.

Amy, best phrase:
54. That made me feel good and this show has made me a bad person.

Grey September 29, 2017 at 6:52 PM

Leslie… want us to pick a number? LOL!

Jan September 29, 2017 at 6:56 PM

They have salted caramel vodka now? Really? WTH. Is there any food or drink product that is now NOT available in salted caramel?

It’s a big day here today for sports fans. It’s Grand Final Day for the Australian Football League (like Superbowl day). People go pretty nuts. I’m not a massive footy fan, but even I will watch the game on TV this afternoon. It’s very different from NFL or European soccer – it’s our own game aka ‘Aussie Rules’. All those fit men in short shorts. No hardship to watch tee hee.

Hey I see there is another Jan. :D Hi other Jan.

Jan September 29, 2017 at 6:59 PM

I’m in a bit of a book slump too Leslie. I’ve got some really good ones on my tbr but they’re just not tempting me to start them. :( Dunno what I want to read. I’m marking time with some rereads of old Nora Roberts.

Tasha J September 29, 2017 at 7:23 PM

I was in a book slump the past few days, maybe a week? Everything runs together anymore, but started Something Like Happy today and loving it so far. I’ve been extra tired lately, even to read a whole lot today, so I decided to give a scary movie a shot. Gerald’s Game released today on Netflix and I thought the trailer looked terrifying. Scary stuff used to be my thing, about 8 years ago and I can’t hardly make it through anything anymore. I’m a big chicken. But, it still looked good and nothing else really did…I made it through made 10-15 minutes? Right after he collapses on her I’m like, ok quick turn it off, I can’t handle it. Lol, major movie fail. Anything good that you guys have seen lately?

Maryse September 29, 2017 at 7:27 PM

I KNOW!!! I only have regular vodka. I have all of R’s kit from last weekend or the weekend before that??? So…. let’s just vodka sour again? I have a feeling we’ll need it.

P.S. R!!! I AM ADDICTED TO THOSE. :P

Maryse September 29, 2017 at 7:28 PM

Grey we can do tame ones. ;)

Does vodka count as tame? Maybe water it down some? I bet it will help with the cough. *snort*

Maryse September 29, 2017 at 7:29 PM

Leslie! Read crazy with us!! :D Bad ROMANCE!!!!

R. Renee September 29, 2017 at 7:35 PM

OMG Maryse. Sooo good! I’m gonna do a thing in my newsletter on the 1st with similar drinks. Long islands, sours, margaritas, gimlets, etc… But the sours are my fave!

bev September 29, 2017 at 7:42 PM

Amy since you love me so much ……read There’s Someone Inside Your House for Halloween with me??

Please.

Don’t let me be scared on my own.

bev September 29, 2017 at 7:44 PM

To me there will ever only be one Jan.

Grey September 29, 2017 at 7:44 PM

I just want Manny…. and to snuggle in the blankie fort. I feel like garbage. I have a feeling vodka anything would be a bad plan… although… whiskey… hot toddies, that was a real thing back in the old days.

Leslie M September 29, 2017 at 7:59 PM

Grey, no way!! I am not brave enough to do a random number pick. Yup, I am wimp.

Maryse, Bad Romance sounds good but too pricey.

D.G. September 29, 2017 at 8:10 PM

Reading Racer…OMG, he is soooo similar to Remy in his actions and his possessiveness. And love some Remy!

“Her name’s Lana f@cking future Tate.” He knows what he wants and he is determined! Swoon!

Jan September 29, 2017 at 8:39 PM

Aw shucks. That’s so sweet, bev. *hugs bev*

*hands Manny to Grey, with a side serve of hot toddy* Here you go.

Jan September 29, 2017 at 8:46 PM

Tasha I’d like to hear about a good movie too. I’m not liking the sound of Gerald’s Game. No way no how. But there must be something decent out there. My fav TV series Versailles has just finished series 2 here so I’m having withdrawal from that….. Ugh. Now I’m in a book funk and a TV funk.

bev September 29, 2017 at 9:00 PM

Hidden Figures was great. Watched and then rewatched it.

Leslie M September 29, 2017 at 9:04 PM

I loved Hidden Figures! Highly recommend too.

Tasha J September 29, 2017 at 9:17 PM

I looked it up, not on Netflix, but sounds good. I’ll have to rent it sometime. The last show I watched on Netflix was Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce. I’m still in season 2, and I like it (I think it’s got a Sex and the City vibe), but I wanted some movies, not more shows. Just started Beautiful Creatures. I’ve never seen it, hopefully it doesn’t disappoint.

Tessa September 29, 2017 at 10:05 PM

I hope you like Beautiful Creatures. I didn’t, but then again, I read the book first. That kills it every time.

I’m almost done with Wicked Ruin and *grins* It’s all scariness and worries right now. I love that in a PNR.

Leslie, just an FYI, Muscle Memory was great, but it wasn’t an easy book.

Jan September 30, 2017 at 1:28 AM

Yeah I must watch Hidden Figures. I guess it will get to Netflix sometime :)

Marit September 30, 2017 at 2:58 AM

OMG! Girls. I’m reading Dr. Stanton by T.L Swan. It’s killing me. I usually don’t cry when I read books. But this one has made me cry a river. Its also making me so mad! And happy. Humble. IN LOVE. And all the emotions on the scale. I have read a lot of books lately. No one made me feel like this. This one is a must read ;)

Leslie M September 30, 2017 at 8:19 AM

Thanks Tessa, I realized Muscle Memory wasnt what I wanted…def too heavy for my mood. I started Fraternize by Rachel Van Dyken instead.

Maryse September 30, 2017 at 8:20 AM

Sounds amazing Marit!! Do we have to read all of the others first, or can this one be read as a standalone?

Leslie M September 30, 2017 at 8:26 AM

Marit, how does Dr. Stanton fit in with the Stanton series? I have both on my TBR and have neen meaning to tackle them. I assume Dr. Stanton is a spin off? If its a spoiler, nevermind. ;)

Leslie M September 30, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Maryse, so funny…we were thinking same thing at same time!

Marit September 30, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Leslie and Maryse: You don’t have to read any books in the Stanton series before you read Dr Stanton. I’m about to finish Dr Stanton now. I think there is a sequel waiting for me. There might be a third one as well. But I think there are other main characters in book two and three. So you can probably read the frist one as a stand alone :-) I will let you know. It’s soooooo good ;) He is so hot. But he makes me so mad as well!

Maryse September 30, 2017 at 10:48 AM

OMG THIS BOOK!!!!!!! I am SOOOOOO HOOKED. And my heart is in my throat and my blood runs cold sometimes…

“I gave you my heart on a silver f**king platter and you ate it, piece by bloody piece.”

Demetrios, Heather (2017-06-13). Bad Romance (p. 126). Henry Holt and Co. (BYR). Kindle Edition.

Maryse September 30, 2017 at 10:49 AM

Or this… oh yes. I’m terrified of where I’m headed:

“…Now I look at that girl who adores you, who thinks she’s safe with you, and I want to scream at her to jump out of that car and run like hell. Because you won’t be her happy place for long.”

Amy September 30, 2017 at 12:53 PM

I’m starting Bad Romance FINALLY today. I was all ready for my cozy reading time last night and then yesterday afternoon I found out I had to go out of town for work. Didn’t get to the hotel until LATE and couldn’t keep my eyes open so no Bad Romance for me.

But today after work…IT’S ALL MINE!!

Maryse, you just fed the butterflies in my tummy some word crack. :D

Kristi September 30, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Can y’all recommend a book about a US Marshal? Kinda want one like that right now.

Grey September 30, 2017 at 2:11 PM

And… I just got Hideaway! *Tosses all of the glitter*

Amy September 30, 2017 at 3:06 PM

Marit…I just clicked Dr. Stanton based on your reaction!! :D

bev…since I love you so much, I WILL read it with you! The price made me 8-O but I clicked it anyway. Because you. See? Love.

Aaaaaaand Maryse needs to read Blister this October. Not a scary read, more of a creepy one but also with some dark humor. Y’all remember that one? I snorted out loud a few times and that doesn’t happen often while I’m reading. So, Maryse…Blister…October.

Amy September 30, 2017 at 3:12 PM

One more quick thing…

Painted Faces is FREE!! *sigh* Loved that one.

Tessa September 30, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Grey. How did you get Hideaway? Where can I get Hideaway. You said the magic word… HIDEAWAY!

Maryse September 30, 2017 at 6:17 PM

Good question Kristi! I’ve been on a cop romance book kick lately but I haven’t read any with US Marshalls. I’m all ears too!

Maryse September 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Amy… I just hit a scene that made me cry in heartbreak. Full on tears. You’ll know it when you get there and it will surprise you.

Jan September 30, 2017 at 7:52 PM

I wouldn’t mind a decent US Marshall romance either ;)

Amy September 30, 2017 at 8:27 PM

Aw man…my tummy butterflies just got nauseous when I read that. And yet I am dying to find out what happened to make you cry.

I have a feeling I’m not going to be sleeping much tonight. Only 12% in and I don’t want to put it down even long enough to pee. Yeah, there’s a mental image for ya. *snort*

Tasha J October 1, 2017 at 11:12 AM

I stopped almost halfway in Beautiful Creatures the other night bc it was late and I was too tired to finish- I’ll pick it back up though, I was liking it so far. We rented movies last night and I almost got Hidden Figures, but I was really in the mood for something lighter and funny. Just finished watching Why Him with James Franco, we loved it, so funny! Totally hit the spot. :)

Maryse October 1, 2017 at 11:38 AM

I just watched Gerald’s Game (Stephen King) on Netflix and I must say. That was creepy fun!!! Freaked me out, made me have a panic attack, made me gasp in horror, but the message was pretty great. I kind of wish I had read it first. I imagine as a book it would really dig into my psyche. ;)

Kooloo October 1, 2017 at 11:51 AM

Ok so I was on Goodreads site checking out the mixed reviews of Dr Stanton… thanks Merit!!! When I happened to check out “Readers Also Enjoyed”… and found The Bandit (Stolen Duet) by B.B. Reid
Does this ring anyone’s bell?? Anyway so much going on the drama my emotions did not think I would like this book but could not put it down!!!

Kooloo October 1, 2017 at 11:59 AM

The best part it ends on “cliffy” but the Duet is complete! Yayyyyyyyyyyy
So on to “The Knight” and the conclusion to this wide ride of forbidden young love, triggers, a baby, revenge, betrayal,vouyeurism, ménage, etc etc
I mean this book has it all and just when you think you have a handle on the were the story is going BAMMMM B.B. Reid himself s you again
Gahhhhhhh

Tessa October 1, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Kooloo, I totally enjoyed The Stolen Duet. It was a fun, dark read.. :) She’s nice and twisted in her romances.

Tasha J October 1, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Oh gosh, it’s so tempting Maryse! Especially this month, too!! I’ll try again, I think…I just need to be really ready. *deep breath* I am sooo looking forward to Stranger Things 2 this month also. The first was amazing, kept me thrilled, but not too scared.

Kathy Phelan October 1, 2017 at 12:38 PM

I found a couple of books that have been high on my TBR on sale. The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred is 50% off and is on sale for $2.40.
Letters to the Lost is sale for $1.99 from $8.57. I am so frustrated no that Amazon has removed the sorts on Wishlists where you can’t filter by books now on sale or by price of book. They need to fix it SOON!!

Amy October 1, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Sweet Gum Tree!!!!! All I have to hear is that title and every emotion runs through me like they are a bunch of freight train cars all lined up and ready to plow through my unsuspecting heart.

Yeah, I’m being a bit melodramatic today. Shut up. I’m cycling. Pass the chocolate.

Tessa October 1, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Kathy, to get around it, I use the “find” button. I put the price or the phrase “price dropped” in and then go searching from there. I wish they’d go back to the way it was too.

Amy October 1, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Oh, and Bad Romance…this book is just EVERYTHING I needed right now. Every emotion. Every heart clench. Every gut punch. Every reminder of how I was in high school and the relief I’m no longer that way. *says a quick thank-you prayer for hubby*

What is affecting me the most is how I will be right there with Grace, feeling all lovey-dovey and swooning over Gavin and his actions and words, and then she will throw in a line which drives a javelin through my gut to remind me how painful things are going to be soon. I KNOW this paragraph from very early on in the book was intentional:

“By the time the credits are rolling, half the class is pretending not to cry as Romeo and Juliet lie dead. It’s like, we knew it was going to end badly but, even so, it guts us to watch it happen.”

BOOM.

Tessa October 1, 2017 at 1:51 PM

*sighs* You are making me want to read it, Amy. Everyone is making me want to read it. But that price… OUCH.

bev October 1, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Tasha, Hidden Figures isn’t as heavy as you would think. Maybe because the ladies are so badass. Lol.

Grey October 1, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Tessa, Pen Douglas just pulled the trigger on Hideaway, it should be live on Amazon any time now!!! This is not a drill! It is sooo good, and long…gah, I am *loving* it, I haven’t had as much time to read as I want d/t football yesterday and today, but I am tucking in right now, and not letting go!

Tasha J October 1, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Oh, i love badass ladies! I’ll grab it this Thursday, perfect to wind down before the busy weekend. Just got season 1 of Veronica Mars in the mail, so I’d like to start it soon too.

Jan October 1, 2017 at 5:59 PM

What was everybody’s top read for September? Mine was an ARC of Suanne Laqueur’s new one, A Charm Of Finches. A kind of follow-on from An Exaltation Of Larks. It’s not actually out yet, though. But it was my only 5 star read for the month. I floved it. OMG Javier!

bev October 1, 2017 at 6:02 PM

Yay. I’ve been slowly going through Veronica Mars too. Love her. And Logan though I really shouldn’t.

R. Renee October 1, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Ditto Jan. Charm of Finches for sure!

Jan October 1, 2017 at 6:10 PM

:D *high fives R*

Tasha J October 1, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Oh wow, I read three 5 star reads for September. I Liked My Life, The Snow Child, and Bad Romance. All equally good, but kind of different genres so….I can’t pick.

Amy October 1, 2017 at 7:12 PM

Ghosted!! In all of its five-star glory!!!!!

The pacing, the emotion without being overly dramatic, the realness, the ducks!!! All of it…perfection.

Maryse October 1, 2017 at 7:15 PM

YESSSSSS!!

Okay now on to “Until It Fades”. I think I loved it even more… *gasp*

Amy October 1, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Alright, Until It Fades is next in the queue for me after seeing you might have loved it even more. How? HOW?!? Ghosted was so amazing and knowing UIF might top it… *rubs hands together*

For now I’m fully and completely consumed with Bad Romance. Took care of errands today and now have nothing going on tonight except to read, read, read. YAY!!!

And you’re reading Blister this month, right? ;) Don’t ask me why I’m pushing it right now. I just am. Because I can. It might just be the (dark) comic relief you need after Bad Romance. ;)

Amy October 1, 2017 at 7:25 PM

Tessa…it’s worth it. Trust me. ;)

Tessa October 1, 2017 at 7:28 PM

lol Alright. I believe you. :)

*is busy refreshing Penelope Douglas’s Amazon site* You know. It usually takes approximately hours to get the book published, right? That’s long enough to read Thief. :)

Grey October 1, 2017 at 7:51 PM

Yasss! Tessa… I loved Thief so much and then you’re gonna read Hideaway and *tosses confetti and glitter and grabs a mask and…* Sorry, got a little excited there… *wink*

Leslie M October 1, 2017 at 8:14 PM

My fave Sept read was Risky Business series by Tiffany Snow.

Right now I am reading The Difference Between Us by Rachel Higginson and loving it!!

Amy, Until it Fades was great!

Tessa October 1, 2017 at 8:15 PM

*grins* I’ve been meaning to read Thief. It’s just my mood wasn’t into it until today. I guess I needed to read a mediocre book first. lol

Jan October 1, 2017 at 8:38 PM

*goes to check out Until It Fades*

Maryse October 1, 2017 at 9:58 PM

I keep refreshing the “Hideaway” release myself…

Maryse October 1, 2017 at 9:59 PM

JAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until it Fades.

May just be my favorite of the year. There’s something about it…

R. Renee October 1, 2017 at 10:38 PM

Can someone who’s read Bad Romance message me on GR and tell me if there’s an HEA? I know nothing about it except that it elicits tears and I need to know what kind lol.

Nay October 2, 2017 at 7:03 AM

Good morning and happy Monday, everyone! I’ve missed you all!

Leslie M October 2, 2017 at 7:10 AM

Nay!!!!! *tackle hugs*

Leslie M October 2, 2017 at 7:13 AM

R, when you get the scoop on Bad Romance, pm me as well. I was wondering if it was similar to It Ends With Us? THAT BOOK GUTTED ME (but I still loved it)

Nay October 2, 2017 at 7:16 AM

So, what have I missed? lol I’ll need a list of ‘must-reads’ since I’ve picked up exactly one book since July 17.

Robin, I’ve read about 50 pages of ‘Maybe in Another Life’–that was my ‘go-to’ when I had a free moment and I could actually concentrate while I was reading. I’m 52% in and I AM going to finish it! lol

Leslie M October 2, 2017 at 7:18 AM

Jan, Until it Fades is slow burn-ish but NOT boring. I think it’s the type of CR you would like. Check out Maryse’s review.

Leslie M October 2, 2017 at 7:27 AM

Nay, we totally need to have a rap session after you finish Maybe in Another Life to discuss ending. I read that one over the summer.

Nay October 2, 2017 at 7:45 AM

Leslie–at this rate, maybe I’ll finish it by Christmas! lol

Tessa October 2, 2017 at 8:19 AM
Maryse October 2, 2017 at 8:37 AM

YAY NAY!!!!!!!! :D !!!!!!

*big squeeeeezy hug*

R. Renee October 2, 2017 at 8:55 AM

Hey Nay!!! I just replied to you on GR somewhere. LOL! Welcome back!

Grey October 2, 2017 at 9:01 AM

*big group hug for Nay a la Genie style* We’ve missed you!!

Tessa!!! Hurry, gah, I need you!!!

Also, The Brother is live… So much amazingness today, you’d think today was a Tuesday.

Nay October 2, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Thanks for the hugs! And I no longer need ‘gentle’ hugs! lol

Oooh, I still need to read Corrupt, but I went ahead and one-clicked Hideaway anyway! That’s my kind of reading!

Looking up The Brother….

Tessa October 2, 2017 at 10:09 AM

Grey, I’m on the first page of chapter two… lol I’m fast but not THAT fast. :P Though, that first chapter… :D It was a great start.

Oh, Nay… Corrupt was so goooooood. :D And you get to read it for the first time? Ooooh!!

Amy October 2, 2017 at 11:38 AM

OMG…I hate Grace’s mom and stepdad…I want to throat punch them. I want to throttle Gavin for being who and what he is (even though I’m still swooning right along with Grace).

I’m supposed to be getting ready for my late day at work. But I don’t wanna. Don’t they understand I have a fantabulous book I need to read?

*sigh*

Amy October 2, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Hi Nay!!!!!! *huge hugs*

I loved Maybe In Another Life. Let us know what you think of it when you are finally able to finish it. ;)

Amy October 2, 2017 at 11:52 AM

Tessa, I thought I responded earlier but I guess I didn’t…yes, 54 was spot-on. SO true and something we have probably all thought at some point!

Then…”74. RUN, YOU BEAUTIFUL GINGER BASTARD.” LOL!!! I love that guy. How he wants Brienne and wants to make big monster babies with her who would conquer the world. Only Tormund could make ovaries explode with that comment. :lol:

Nay October 2, 2017 at 12:21 PM

Tessa–lurve it when I’m not the one who’s jealous that someone’s reading it for the first time! Lol
I will definitely put that on my ‘soon’ shelf!

Amy– I’ll keep y’all posted!

Tessa October 2, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Nay, seriously it was such an awesome book.

Amy, I know! When it was all done, I was all, he better have lived. He better have lived… He’s alive, right? lol *credit rolls* *throws tissue at the tv* BASTARDS, IS HE ALIVE????

And yes… 54, my favorite death of the whole series. I’ve wanted him to die for such a long time, and he wouldn’t. But when he did, it was absolutely beautiful.

1 chapter and two pages into Hideaway… and you know what? It’s already living up to expectation.

Amy October 2, 2017 at 2:17 PM

“BASTARDS, IS HE ALIVE????” <—— LOL!!!!!

And about that death…right?!? Dude, we got to see him FEEL his death!!

Amy October 2, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Maryse!! Dangit, HOW am I supposed to get to Until It Fades and the other books I moved up on my TBR when you throw something like The Ghost Writer up there???

Sheesh, my twin. Not helping my anxiety here. :P

Tessa October 2, 2017 at 2:58 PM

lol You should read a happy book, then go back to being anxious. :P

And that death. It’s why the show has made me a bad person. I wanted to have a party celebrating the fact that he was dead and see how a certain person truly felt about him, and the BEGGING! *grins* It still makes me so happy.

Maryse October 2, 2017 at 6:10 PM

All the books I’m excited about, Amy!!! :D

Jan October 2, 2017 at 6:32 PM

*joins in mega group hug with Nay* Hello Nay. Nice to have you back. Trying to think of books you might have missed that you might like to catch up on. I’ve been on a crazy HR fest, reading lots of Lisa Kleypas etc. Devil In Spring was wonderful. *happy sigh* Also doing some rereads of old favs. I did enjoy Emma Scott’s The Butterfly Project. Also I loved Suanne Laqueur’s new one A Charm Of Finches but it’s not actually officially out for a few weeks. But you could add that to your tbr, especially if you liked Exaltation Of Larks. Happy reading, Nay.

Nay October 2, 2017 at 8:25 PM

Thanks, Jan! Funny that you mention it, I just preordered A Charm of Finches this morning. Will also check out the others you suggested.

R. Renee October 2, 2017 at 9:10 PM

IDK how I feel about this. bev, thoughts? https://www.hypable.com/simon-homosapiens-agenda-movie-new-title/

bev October 2, 2017 at 10:58 PM

Huh. Seems bland. I think the original hinted more at the contents of the book.
It is still surprising to think of JG and JD playing parents to older teens. But I love the family dynamic in the book and can see them doing well.

R. Renee October 2, 2017 at 10:59 PM

Yes, I must say the JD thing hurts my feelings a little too, but more screen time is better than nothing!