Friday Finds & Reader Recommendations – December 22nd 2017

by Maryse on December 22, 2017 · 66 comments

in eBook Deals

Three more sleeps, my friends. THREE. MORE. SLEEPS!!!!! It’s almost CHRIIIIIIIISTMAAAASSSSSSS!!!!

But until then, we can shop, wrap, shop, cook, prep, and maybe even…. read!!!!! And in case you’ve got time to read, here are some reader recommendations that might just tickle your holiday fancy. ;)

TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT WE FOUND :D !!

Colleen: Big *hug* for the ‘The Coppersmith Farmhouse’ rec. I’ve gotten totally sucked down the rabbit hole with this series and it’s solved my big-time book slump. It also makes me want to book a vacation to one of those fancy clamping spots in Montana, Wyoming, etc. Hah!
Tessa: I ended up reading Treacherous. It wasn’t a bully book like I was expecting. I really enjoyed it, but it was more of a Hate to Love book (which I adore too, just not as much).
Tessa: Amy Harmon’s A Different Blue blasted me with feels. You have got to read it. At one point I cried; I’m not going to lie. It just was so good and so emotional. *sighs* So good.

MichelleS: Loved American Hellhound and that entire series! I agree that Gilley is an outstanding author, and you learn to live all these not-so-perfect people! Ghost & Maggie, especially!! It was a tough decision between this one & Undeniable by Sheehan, for me, because both were about paternal figures. Great year for this genre!

• The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine <— PSYCH THRILLER ALERT!!!!! Tasha is excited about this one!
Tasha: The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine is on sale TODAY only for 1.99 from 12.99. Totally 1-clicked!! Reese Witherspoon’s book club recently made this their book of the month. It’s supposed to be twisty and addictive…
  • The Secrets We Carry (Wynter) by Jessica Sorensen <— A new one from Jessica Sorensen just went live!! She wants revenge… “…my story isn’t necessarily about me and Everette. It’s about me not wanting to need to be rescued. It’s about me wanting to be able to save myself and save others from breaking down because of the secrets they carry—because someone decided to hurt them. What I want is to help the women whose names are on the list I discovered…”
  • How Not to Fall (The Belhaven Series) by Emily Foster <— One of my FAV authors (Aly Martinez) went CRAZY for this book, and her mini Facebook-rave has me convinced. The authors don’t know each other and she insists her love of this book is true and organic, and that WE will be hooked from the sample alone. She even warns us not to worry about the cover or the blurb… the story itself will HOOK us. Well then… I. AM. IN!!!!
  • AND!!! Amazon is still having a big sale on many of their “Kindle-y” things ;) like an awesome Kindle Unlimited membership, and actual Kindles (sales on their Fires and their Paperwhites, Echos, Firesticks and more!)

AUDIOBOOK L:DVERS

For those going on a road trip soon, or maybe you’ve got some projects that require both hands this weekend but still allows you to “listen”… check out the free audible trial + 2 free audiobooks deal —>

• AND! Here’s the fun-tool again! —> Find out which of YOUR Kindle books are available as audiobooks at a BARGAIN-PRICE! <— This thing is so cool (Amazon calls it “Matchmaker“)! It’s an Amazon feature, that scans all of your Kindle books and will list all of the ones you have that are also available as an audiobook at a discounted price (not normal audiobook prices). This way, you can switch back and forth, seamlessly between your ebooks and your audiobooks. VERY COOL!

PREORDERS (Next few days, and a few of next week’s!!! :D )

1. Whore by Willow Aster – December 26th 2018
  2. Can’t Let Go (Callaway Cousins #5) (Callaways Book 13) by Barbara Freethy – December 26th 2017
  3. Twisted (The Steel Brothers Saga Book 8) by Helen Hardt - December 26th 2017
  4. Kane: I Am Alpha (Law of the Lycans Book 9) by Nicky Charles – December 26th 2017
  5. Moon Bound (LaRue Book 4) by Donna Grant - December 26th 2017
  6. The Pretender: Games People Play by HelenKay Dimon - December 26th 2017
  7. Beautiful Lawman: A Devil’s Rock Novel by Sophie Jordan - December 26th 2017
  8. Shelter (The Getaway Series Book 2) by Jay Crownover – December 26th 2017
  9. Dragon Reborn (Dragon Point Book 5) by Eve Langlais – December 28th 2017

Sign up for my weekly newsletter

Leslie M December 22, 2017 at 7:49 AM

Morning! :)

Snow and ice storm here. Pleh! More snow for Christmas. Double pleh! :(

bev December 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Leslie, snow for Christmas???? Magic.

My dog makes me laugh. She gets some wet food in the morn with her dry. I’d put her out then go to the kitchen to do it. I think now she has it in her head that coming back through the door is what brings the food. I can barely walk 2 steps away from the door before she is scratching again. Then she runs over to her bowl all happy, the looks around like where is it.

Maryse December 22, 2017 at 10:45 AM

LOL bev!!!!

What kind of a dog is it?

bev December 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM

She’s a mix. A dash of heeler, a sprinkle of lab, a bit of pointer.

Grey December 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM

I’m counting down, Christmas vacation starts sooo soon! I am so ready. *tosses tinsel and glitter and dances in the snow* I am ready!!!

Tessa December 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM

Christmas vacation started here already. For some reason, the schools never have them at school on the Friday right before Christmas. They don’t go back to school until the 9th of January.

Also, good morning everyone. And yes, everyone. Read A Different Blue. It really was quite wonderful.

Tasha J December 22, 2017 at 12:42 PM

I read A Different Blue too, loved it! And I got my Mom hooked on Amy Harmon too. I think that was my first book of hers that I read.

We saw the baby this morning, all is well as far as she could tell me! So ready for these months to fly by now. Bc, while I love that we’re finally here and I’m so grateful to have him, pregnancy is not for me.

Ok, so Jasper vs. Harvey. No one else likes Harvey except for me…typical

bev December 22, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Leslie, have you seen all the info on Hygge (sp?) The Danish way of getting through winter? I even got the little book when on sale but need to read it. It’s probably over talked about now, but I’ve been thinking about it.
I am going to do a little candle shopping cause I love candles in winter. Use my soft throw and favorite mugs more, when reading. I have some tea samples that will be fun to try ….though I like cold tea over hot.

bev December 22, 2017 at 1:20 PM

Harvey is cute…..just not great association right now. BUT that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it, his peers will not even know the reference. Plus, it has good feeling to you. I love you are still trying out names because I am a dork and like to listen to people’s ideas and process.

bev December 22, 2017 at 1:37 PM

Tasha…..what about Sherlock?
Benedict?
Simon?
Bish?
;)

Tessa December 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM

Honestly, to me, Harvey sounds old. Past all associations, it just sounds like an old person. :/

Tasha J December 22, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Lol, I like it still. :P But, no Sherlock or Bish, Benedict or Simon.

Jean December 22, 2017 at 2:50 PM

Hi guys! Been so busy, I’ve just been popping in but no time to comment!

Bev, thank you! You just reminded me I have to get my mom a candle. She loves them!

Tessa, I loved A Different Blue too! Everyone should read it!

Tasha, glad to hear all is well….I love the name Jasper. Or how about Jaeger? I know a little boy named Jaeger and he is the cutest!

I’m reading Dark Sexy Knight by Kate Regnery right now and totally loving it!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas to you all in case I don’t get back on here! Love you guys!

Maryse, still putting together my favs for 2017! I’ll get them to you eventually!

MichelleS December 22, 2017 at 3:59 PM

Good afternoon ladies. It’s raining cats & dogs here in North Texas… and I need to go grocery shopping. I absolutely detest grocery shopping in the rain!

Maybe I’ll just finish A Charm of Finches instead? Why’d I wait? This book is twisting me up something awful.

MichelleS December 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM

I’m voting Jasper because all I can think about when I see “Harvey” is Weistein. Not a good year for the name Harvey.

I love the names Sasha or Mathias for a boy. My hubby made a twisted face when I suggested them. He wanted Seth. Neither of us got what we wanted!

bev December 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM

I always thought Sasha a cute boys name, usually a nickname for Russian names, right?

Grey December 22, 2017 at 4:28 PM

I’m free!!!! *twirls and pulls everyone into the big group hug in the midst of all the glitter and confetti I’m raining down*

Wow, Tessa! That’s one helluva break! We only get 10 days and then it’s back to the grind, but I don’t care at this point, I so need it!

I haven’t read A Different Blue, sounds like I need to move it up my list.

Maryse, I will get you my list, but it will probably be next week… We can keep with the trend… Haha, I’ll be New Year’s Baby… Haha!

Speaking of babies…yay Tasha getting to see your little one, that is so exciting! Congrats again!

Tomorrow is cookie day here! To kick off my festivities…

3 things…
1) I am already in my jammies!
2) it is going to be a fend for themselves night for dinner
3) I may or may not be drinking a little before 5pm (no judgment, it’s been a LONG week!)

Cheryl December 22, 2017 at 5:17 PM

Christmas break official today!! Borrows Grey’s glitter and twirls and throws it!!
Just about finished with Christmas shopping-few gift cards to pick up.

Tasha, I have a friend who’s son is named John Harvey (Harvey is the middle name).

bev December 22, 2017 at 5:25 PM

1. About to brave Wal-Mart. Wish me well. Just in and out. Go man go.
2. Listening to Fairytale of New York. *sigh* Love their voices together.
3. I need a Christmas cookie.

Maryse December 22, 2017 at 6:18 PM

GOOD LUCK bev!!!!!!

Heck no will I ever try and brave that mess alone. I’d LIKE to go the day AFTER Christmas but you know it’s gonna be chaos with the 75% off sales and the exchanges etc etc…

I know Walmart has Christmas cookies. While you’re there, you may as well… ;)

Maryse December 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM

YAY JEAN!!!!

Yes please. :) We want it!

bev December 22, 2017 at 7:03 PM

Insane. Just insane.

Hey those who shop the toy aisle? Is there a lot of toys types from Korea, Japan, and etc? These odd little squishy toys and a kitten that loves bananas? I was so tempted to buy that, cause kitten that loves bananas.

Tessa December 22, 2017 at 7:28 PM

I’ve never heard of that. My niece this year said she wants barbies and Moana stuff. I did win an FB contest and got Belle and Beast dolls for her, as well as two signed books from BB Reid. :D :D :D But squishy cat bananas? Nope. You must take a pic!

Jan December 22, 2017 at 8:39 PM

Ooh you won a competition Tessa. Go you!

I did a little last min shopping this morning but yeah, it was in and out (mainly to pick up my xmas meat order from the butcher.) But by the time I left, I was starting to notice people cruising around the (full) shopping centre carpark with that strange, aggressive look in their eye. the next parking spot is MINE! their eyes say. A little scary.

3 things
1. Sitting in front of the air con (cos, summer!)
2. Gonna make some Christmas shortbread today :)
3. Going to see my sister on Boxing day and I can’t wait cos we don’t live near each other and I miss her.

Cheryl December 22, 2017 at 11:04 PM

3things:
1. Made a lot of christmas cookies.
2. Had friends over to eat cookies.
3. I ate A. LOT. of the frosted sugar cookies. Saved a few for the friends. ;)

R. Renee December 22, 2017 at 11:46 PM

1. I’m in some random Texas German town bar sipping cognac.
2. I had quail for dinner.
3. I NEED to be editing.

Lisa December 23, 2017 at 1:26 AM

Hello Maryse and co.
Its been months and months since I posted.
I’m loving everyones top book lists. Great for the tbr top up.

It hasnt been a big book reading year for me (I wont even hit my Goodreads reading challenge) but eh! Life gets in the way sometimes.

Hope everyone has had a safe and happy year and is looking forward to over indulging
on Christmas day and then collapsing with a great book. Stay safe and Merry Christmas.

Three things:
1) Its so hot here (in Australia) Im about to hit the beach for an evening swim
2) Ive just finished making my families recipe of prawn dip (so delicious).
3) I’ve got six glorious weeks off work to enjoy the summer and will be heading to Sydney!

Sharon F December 23, 2017 at 9:14 AM

I’ve been so MIA from reading and keeping up with everything! Happy Holidays everyone!

I’m still reading, but SLOWLY here and there. I’m halfway thru When Life Happened and this book is so good. It’s snarky, a little funny, a lot of angsty and SAD. First book that’s hit all of my buttons, EVER! Halfway thru.

bev December 23, 2017 at 10:28 AM

I forgot cookies, but at another store found these mochi wrapped ice cream. Really good. I should of got the chocolate too.

Tessa December 23, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Good morning!

Three things:
1. I am currently listening to the kid sing Monster Mash. Now that it’s almost Christmas, he’s been listening to tons of Halloween songs.
2. It’s spare the air day today. It makes me kind of glad we don’t have a fireplace, because we couldn’t use it, and then close to Christmas, that would’ve sucked.
3. A friend, who is so close to me I consider her a sister, picked up Throne of Glass without me recommending it to her and is loving it!!! *twirls* I need glitter bombs people! :)

MichelleS December 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM

Three things;
1.) there’s not a cloud in the sky & yesterday it rained all day. Welcome to Texas.
2.) I have last minute shopping to do & I swore I wouldn’t.
3.) I got an Amazon gift card from a friend & am thrilled to use it. I think the slump is over!

MichelleS December 23, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Tessa – who wouldn’t love Throne of Glass? It’s got EVERYTHING – romance, adventure, intrigue, fantasy!!!

Jean December 23, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Three things:

1. Raining like crazy here (Suburbs of Philadelphia)
2. Finished up this morning getting gift cards, liquor, etc. Everything’s wrapped and I’m done! Headed to Xmas Party late afternoon.
3. My brother sent me $100 Amazon gift card….yay me!

Tasha J December 23, 2017 at 1:47 PM

3 things:
1. I’ve done absolutely nothing today. I’m bored, yet I want to do nothing.
2. It’s my birthday tomorrow. I may or may not buy myself a special cupcake.
3. It snowed last night/this morning and there is supposed to be more to come! I’m never leaving. :P

Tessa December 23, 2017 at 1:59 PM

A Christmas Eve baby? We’ll remember tomorrow.

Congrats Jean and MichelleS for those cards. I should’ve asked for that. :)

Right, MichelleS? Who WOULDN’T love Throne of Glass?

Jen C December 23, 2017 at 2:05 PM

The first two books in Sarah Ney’s How to Date a Douchebag series are on super sale! Only 99c for The Studying Hours and The Failing Hours.

I read The Studying Hours earlier this year and LOVED it, so I 1-clicked The Failing Hours so fast lol.

Also, Craving Sugar by Elena M. Reyes is only 99c. It was on a post back in October and sounds rather good.

Maryse December 23, 2017 at 3:11 PM

Excellent find, Jen C!!!! I’m adding it. :D

Maryse December 23, 2017 at 3:12 PM

3 things

1.) I’ve been reading all day… in bed… in pajamas.
2.) I’ve also fertilized my baby citrus trees that I grew from seed.
3.) I’m hungry.

bev December 23, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Don’t eat the fertilizer.

Maryse December 23, 2017 at 5:12 PM

LOL!!!!!!!

I went with a caprese salad. ;)

bev December 23, 2017 at 7:24 PM

Tessa, every time I hear issues playing somewhere I now think of you, lol.

Tessa December 23, 2017 at 8:32 PM

YES! :) That makes me happy.

bev December 24, 2017 at 11:12 AM

It’s someone’s birthday today.

Is it Tasha??

Darn my memory.

If so Happy Birthday, Tasha!!!

Tessa December 24, 2017 at 11:40 AM

Happy Birthday, Tasha! And Merry Christmas Eve everyone! :)

Grey December 24, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Happy Birthday, Tasha!!!! And Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!!! *tosses glitter and confetti and tinsel* just because I am me, and I can!!!

Sending the best wishes out to my book family here, and I hope that you are all celebrating how you see fit! We are going to my bestie’s house in a bit for dinner and fun, but I’ve spent the morning playing the board game Risk with my children… Not much says ‘good tidings of joy and peace’ like a friendly game of world domination. *giggle*

Jean December 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Happy birthday Tasha!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thank you Maryse for everything you do and for bringing us all together!!

Tasha J December 24, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Thank you gals!!! It’s my big 3 0 today. I told my Dad I felt much older and he sent me this…https://goo.gl/images/m6K8AG
I feel it adequately describes me. :P
Went to brunch this morning and some last minute xmas shopping, sans kids, that I hadn’t planned on, but was fun anyway. Merry Xmas Eve to everyone!!!
I have a xmas party here shortly and then movie tonight with the kiddos new jammies and that’s all, but it’ll keep me plenty busy.

R. Renee December 24, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Happy birthday Tasha!

Maryse December 24, 2017 at 3:40 PM

OMG Tasha is still a baby, you guys!!!!!!!!

*snuggles the adorably young 30-year-old*

Merry Christmas and Happy birthday my friend!!!!!!!! :D

bev December 24, 2017 at 5:29 PM

She is the baby of the blog group having a blog baby.

Name him Maurice. Maybe he will have a French accent and like romance books.

What is a pompatus of love anyway, Maryse?

Leslie M December 24, 2017 at 9:35 PM

Merry Christmas everyone and Happy Birthday Tasha!

Tessa December 24, 2017 at 9:36 PM

If she called him that, everyone would be yelling, Maurice, the bagettes, hurry up!

bev December 24, 2017 at 10:37 PM

But he’d always be able to find a wild rumpus.

Grey December 25, 2017 at 12:31 AM

Merry Christmas, friends!!! Santa has arrived here!!! Woohoo! So exhausted but not sleepy, know what I mean? Gonna be along night, I think I think lol, waiting for my kids to wake up and decide they are ready to open their gifts yet. Sigh…

D.G. December 25, 2017 at 1:04 AM

Happy, HAPPY birthday Tasha!!! *throws glittery fake snow cause the real stuff is too cold* Liam, Sam, Jasper…are we offering new baby names?!?!

And Merry Christmas to all…Santa baby is done and to all a good night!!!!

D.G. December 25, 2017 at 1:12 AM

3 things…
1. Santa cookies have lost their appeal this late at night…
2. I almost forgot to remove that stinking shelf elf
3. I am way too awake for 1:00 am in the morning

R. Renee December 25, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Merry Christmas guys!! I got up twenty minutes ago and put Maryse’s pot roast on and I AM DONE! Woo hoo! *throws confetti*

Maryse December 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Merry Christmas everyone!!!! :D

I’m giggling at the fact that R calls it “Maryse’s pot roast” *snort*

Now I’m hungry.

MichelleS December 25, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Merry Christmas everyone & happy 30th Tasha! Enjoy your day!

Tasha J December 25, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Thank ya all! And Merry Christmas to everyone here too! I announced the name as Jasper so there are no take backs, lol.
I got an air fryer for xmas, Maryse you must share some of the recipes you’ve used…I’ve not even deep fryed anything in probably 8 years, I have no idea what to do with it.
Oooh AND I got a box of specially decorated, tasty macarons. Sooo pretty and delicate. And an Amazon gift card! A yoga mat and block and some maternity clothes so my Mom can bribe me into going to dumb weddings (I hate wedding receptions). I want to read today so bad, the reading bug is back!! :D
Who’s watching A Christmas Story today??

bev December 25, 2017 at 11:33 AM

Merry Christmas! Hope you all have a wonderful day.

I do feel like reading today, maybe a Christmas miracle, lol. Just not sure what or when.

Since I haven’t been reading can I show a scene that gave me a swoon? If it let’s me post it?

They’ve only been best friends since childhood. He just got back into fighting and she can’t stand to watch. They are at the stage of just realizing it’s more. Well she knew but he is a bit of a dim one. Seriously. But cute and loyal.

Anyway big fight for him but she tells him she won’t go but to do well. He wins and then this happens.

bev December 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM

I just have been low in book swoon lately, lol. And this gave me that feel.

Maryse December 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM

Tasha, your list is going up today!! :) So it’s our “Christmas” favorites list. LOL!!

I have no recipes as of yet for the air fryer, ’cause I literally just use it as a convection oven for now. I’ve cooked frozen fries, chicken tenders, and fish sticks in it. And hot dogs. LOL!!!!

Loved ALL of it though. Oh! I also cooked two fresh chicken thighs in it (not breaded) and they turned out perfect. I’ve been trying to learn my Instant Pot (so that’s been my most used toy over the last week or two). Other than the Roomba of course. ;)

Maryse December 25, 2017 at 12:26 PM

bev, I’m going to read “Worth it” since everyone says it’s so funny you’ll laugh until you cry. For me I’d like to laugh until I wheeze. LOL!!!

I’m hoping this does it. Cover made me *blink blink* a couple of times, but with all those 5 star reviews and barely anything less than that, and all the comments about it, and it being super-bargain priced right now, I one-clicked it and decided I’m in the mood for that!

Leslie M December 25, 2017 at 5:39 PM

Aaaaaahhhh

*takes deep relaxing breath*

The madness is over and it’s time to get back to reading!!

Grey December 25, 2017 at 8:43 PM

*sweeps up tinsel* I feel like I have kind of been in clean up mode all day. So sleepy. A great day was had by all. What took me days to wrap was an explosion in my living room in 28 minutes. Other than that… It’s been low key and awesome. I am just exhausted.

I hope that everyone has enjoyed their day however they see fit!