HAPPY FRIDAY MY FRIENDS!! 😀 Friday’s rock! It’s the start of my reading-weekend marathons (and hopefully this weekend I get to read outside, since it’s finally cooling down, here), plus, I get to gather some of the latest reader recommendations that have come my way. AND I’ve started a new “Friday morning tradition” where I search through books upon books that haven’t heard of yet, read blurbs, and post those that sound like something I’d like to read. Kind of like I used to do, when I’d go to a book store and spend ours reading back covers and making my own pile to take home. I don’t do that as much now that I’m an ebook fiend, but this is the next best thing.
Hrmm… I think I’m going to pull out a few of my old paperbacks and sniff ’em. I DO miss that. 😛
Oh!! And may I just say… the “PRE-ORDER” list below (for this Monday/Tuesday) is to DIE for… (er… “reading-die” for. ;)) HOLY MOLY I don’t even know where to start with it…
What am I reading next… there are at least two below that have me wanting to start them now (like Broken, and Gravity and, Twice in a Lifetime). And don’t even get me started on the plethora of dark reads today. Plus, there are at least three from a list or two ago that I wanna read equally… ahhhh the book choices. Like this one… it’s calling me —> Tell Me You Love Me (Fire Me Up Book 1)…
“Stay. Stay with me. Stay here. Stay close. Stay like this forever. Stay as happy as I am right here in your arms, always.” <— *sigh* That sounds wonderful!!!!
P.S. Let me know if I’m missing any or if you loved any (from this list or elsewhere).
P.P.S. Also, while these “look” great (and/or have awesome reviews and recommendations), unless I have my own personal review link next to it, I likely haven’t read it myself… I just found it and wanted to share it in case it’s awesome. So if you read it, let me know if it’s awesome. LOL!
NOTE: bargain priced when I added them, but prices can change on Amazon, so make sure to check before you finalize your order.
Todays latest reader recommendations and bargain ebook finds:
- 53 Letters For My Lover by Leylah Attar <– MY own personal recommendation of the week. I LOVED this one… beautiful written with so much romantic angst, and deliciously heart-wrenching. Here’s my review!! Read it my friends!!
- Rainfall by Melissa Delport <— Another one of my favorites, this year, and it’s on sale right now!! (my review) and Lee loved it too, saying: “I still can’t talk about it without crying, I fear I may never recover….. It should come with a (mental) health warning!“
- Chains: An MMA Romantic Suspense Novel by Kelli Maine <— author just announced this is the last day for this new release!
- Broken (A Redemption Novel) by Lauren Layne <— RECENT RELEASE that has me excited to try it!!! It’s the one up there to the left. WAR VETERAN ALERT (and scarred, inside and out) —> “Olivia has a secret: helping an injured war veteran reenter society isn’t about charity—it’s about penance. Only, Olivia’s client isn’t the grateful elderly man she’s expecting. Instead, he’s a brooding twenty-four-year-old who has no intention of being Olivia’s path to redemption . . . and whose smoldering gaze and forbidden touch might be her undoing…“
- Monster in His Eyes by J.M Darhower <— LOVED by SO many in our crew, and ON SALE today!!! ‘Cause… book #2…
- Torture to Her Soul (Monster in His Eyes Book 2) by J.M Darhower <— will be out on Monday September 29th!!!
- All the Pretty Lies (The Pretty Series Book 1) by M. Leighton <— Stephanie found out this is on sale today! AND…
- All the Pretty Poses (The Pretty Series Book 2) by M. Leighton <— #2 is on sale today!
- Come Dancing by Leslie Wells <— Bev is curious about this one! “Julia blows off steam by going dancing downtown with her best friend, Vicky. One night, a hot British guitarist invites them into his VIP section. Despite an entourage of models and groupies, Jack chooses Julia as his girl for the evening—and when Jack Kipling picks you, you go with it. The trouble is … he’s never met a girl like her before. And she resists being just one in a long line…“
- Not Your Damn Dom (Denial Book 2) <— Wow I like the sound of this one… I shouldn’t have read the blurb yet, though ’cause there’s a book #1 up there, and I found this one first. *oops!!* So now I think I know too much. 😉
- Not Your Damn Submissive (Denial Book 1) <— HERE is #1, and yep… more fun to be had, I think. If done “right”. 😉
- The Exception by Adriana Locke <— RECENTLY RELEASED, and lots of great reviews. Not sure what I’m “getting different” out of that blurb… “Jada Stanley is starting over–freeing herself from her past and all her mistakes. Following the rules she’s given herself is easy enough, until she meets HIM. He’s gorgeous, cocky, and everything she needs to avoid, but that’s easier said than done.” but the reviews look promising.
- Consumed (The Breathless Series Book 1) by Melissa Toppen <— This one sounds pretty good. And I like the cover. Amy (and crew)… let’s have those tonight!! Looks delicious! “Having moved from Vermont to Las Vegas with her boyfriend Grayson, the last thing Addison expected was to come home one day to find all of her belongings packed up in boxes and her eight year relationship over. Heartbroken and lost, Addison finds herself, for the first time, unsure of what the future holds. But a chance meeting with a gorgeous bartender sets her on a path she never expected.” <— Yeah… ’cause there’s “something” about him…
- Uncover Me by Linda Barlow <— sounds like a modern “bodice-ripper”. 😉 “Kidnapped, bound, and ordered to submit, I’m stuck on a sailboat with the sun-bronzed pirate who caught me photographing his antiquities-smuggling operation. He doesn’t want me tagging along any more than I want to be here. But that hasn’t stopped him from finding a use for me.”
- Gravity: A Novel by L.D. Cedergreen <— Oh this one sounds good and kind of deep… “After years of trying unsuccessfully to conceive a child, Gemma Walsh finds her husband in bed with another woman. Unable to face his betrayal, she retreats to Priest Lake where her family owns a small cabin. But Gemma finds that she is not the only one hiding away at the lake to avoid an ugly truth.” Yep… she meets up with an old flame again. “Just when Gemma feels that she has found her second chance at happiness, she is faced with a shocking truth as her reality spirals out of control. She can’t deny the powerful force that brought Andrew back into her life anymore than she can defy the same force that now threatens to pull them apart.” <—- Ooooooooooh. I like the sound of this.
- Twice in a Lifetime (Love Found) by Ruthie Henrick <— Here’s one that looks good!! “Blind date. When Allie and Ben are thrown together to help their friends out of a bind, they find the unexpected – and unwanted – spark of attraction difficult to ignore. Surrendering to it, they marry and live their happyish-ever-after – until Ben’s death reveals a betrayal that rocks Allie’s world. The sidelines. Where Jake has hovered for the past fifteen years, business partners with his best friend, in love with his best friend’s wife..“
- Picked by Jettie Woodruff <— JUST RELEASED and it’s blurb gave me a jolt!! It looks along the lines of… WHOA!!! “I never expected him to be so nice and handsome. I couldn’t be number four. How could any woman love a man with more than one wife? Not only was it impossible, it was ridiculous. There was no way I was getting any closer….” and then… “…Becker Cole’s wives were not the typical, obedient little housewives wearing aprons and submitting to him I had pegged them to be. They were cute, young and full of life. I loved them. All three of them. And somehow, I loved Becker too. Could I swallow the persona that society expected me to be and share him, or was this too much?” <— Yea. That makes me delightfully one-click antsy. 😉
- Voyeur Extraordinaire by Cora Reilly <— JUST RELEASED and tee hee!! “Living in a dank one room apartment and working as a waitress in a shabby bar, Nora didn’t think her life could get any worse. But that’s before sexy-as-hell Adrian Black moves into the apartment across from her bedroom window and she’s caught spying on him having sex. Now he has set his eyes on her…“
- Beautifully Done (Beautifully Awake Book 2) by Riley Mackenzie <— Renee HIGHLY recommends this one! “I just finished Beautifully Done and cried my eyes out…what a beautiful story about love and friendship and LIFE. Maryse you’ll love it!“
- Beautifully Awake by Riley Mackenzie<— So while I’m at it, here’s book #1… “Lili learns that a surgeon’s hands have the power to heal more than physical wounds. And a prescription for truth can cure three years of sleep running and leave you beautifully awake.”
- A Shade of Vampire 8: A Shade of Kiev by Bella Forrest <— JUST RELEASED~~~
- Watch Me Fall by Nora Flite <— JUST RELEASED! DARK READ ALERT! “My dreams are gone, but that’s fine. I could have lived this tiny, broken life. I could have suffered in silence. Until I met her: Noel. God, she’s so alive. She makes me ACHE and I just… I can’t ignore her. So I won’t. Noel thinks she can handle me. Survive me. If she knew the truth—could see into my mind—she’d smarten up and run. I’m so lucky she doesn’t have a clue.” Ruh roh.
- Degradation (The Kane Trilogy Book 1) by Stylo Fantôme <— For those that loved this one… (and SO many did, going by the reviews)… there is now…
- Separation (The Kane Trilogy Book 2) by Stylo Fantôme <— THIS ONE! JUST RECENTLY RELEASED, and lots of great review here, too.
- Disturbed by Ashley Beale <— DARK READ!!!! And a blurb that *oomphed* me!! “The connection was so deep. Real. Rare. Raw. My world was turned upside down by one single look. Then my world shattered. I found out the truth. How could I be in love with a monster?“
- Scars: Book One by Sinden West <— and while i’m in the “dark reads” section… look at this one. ““He was too pretty for what he was. He should have been twisted and deformed so everyone could see what was inside him.” Kidnapped for revenge, Paige is at the mercy of Aaron. What starts as a nightmare, soon turns into a twisted relationship.” GAH! These scare me so bad! And yet…
- Serial by Lily White & Jaden Wilkes <— DARK READ JUST RELEASED!!
- Bad Things by Varian Krylov <— This DARK READ is taking two of our fellow readers by STORM!!! MichelleS and Fabi are going crazy for it! MichelleS: “Now to go and keep reading “Bad Things” (V Krylov)…. it’s so so so so bad….. the kind where you turn off your Kindle if someone looks over your shoulder. But I am hooked… Xavier is one of THE baddest bad boys ever. Ranks right up there with Soren from Original Sinners series… and Caleb from Captive in the Dark. Maybe even a little darker and more sadistic, if you can believe that! I am uncomfortably engaged and blown away by page after page. I’m at love – hate with him right now. And I like that.” and Fabi agrees: “MichelleS, I am in such a fog. I can’t hardly think of anything else. I’m on her 3rd book now. This one is F/M. This woman can write sex like no other. But it’s not just the sex, it’s getting inside these characters and feeling all their joy, fear, horror, acceptance and finally healing that’s really doing it for me. Like many here, I tend to skim heavy sex scenes, they’ve gotten a little old and tired for me. These books are graphic but there is so much more going on than the sex. Gah. I don’t know how to explain it. NO this book and her others are not like TTM. There’s a slight resemblance. But also a strong resemblance to Try. And the one I’m reading now and most of her others are F/M. She just uses sex as the medium to explore deep emotional pain, trauma and heartache. Then she uses it as a medium for healing.” and Fabi goes on to say:
Here is what I think is a good measure of whether you’ll like Bad Things.
If you liked/hated The Tied Man you’ll like/hate Bad Things. It is not so horror inducing but still cringe worthy. If you loved the love story of Try, then Bad Things, and much more so, Dangerously Happy will blow you away.These books all contain elements of Beautiful Disaster, Maybe Someday, Surviving Rain, etc.In fact, I think there is also a strong relation to Surviving Rain. I remember feeling this way with that one too.
- Perfect Summer (The Lone Stars Book 1) by Katie Graykowski <— HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER & NFL STAR ALERT <— Sounds CUTE and has so many SO many awesome reviews. “Clint Grayson is an NFL quarterback in need of a reputation makeover. If he has any hope of landing a hundred million dollar endorsement deal, it will take some pretty impressive PR to clean up his bad boy image. In an attempt to polish his tarnished reputation, Clint agrees to be a high school class mentor…“
- You: A Novel by Caroline Kepnes <— YES YES YES!!!! DARK READ THAT I’m DYING to read!!!!!! <— release date September 3oth 2014
- Torture to Her Soul (Monster in His Eyes Book 2) by J.M. Darhower <— release date September 29th 2014
- Keep Me (Twist Me #2) by Anna Zaires <— release date September 3oth 2014 (DARK READ!!) Here’s my review of book #1 Twist Me.
- Locke (Corps Security Book 6) by Harper Sloan <— So many excited for this one!!! <— release date September 3oth 2014
- FaCade (Deception series Book 1) by Ker Dukey & D.H Sidebottom <— release date September 29th 2014
- Owned By Fate (a Serve novel) (Entangled Brazen) by Tessa Bailey <— release date September 29th 2014
- Reforming the Rock Star (Entangled Indulgence) by Christine Bell <— release date September 29th 2014
- The Understatement of the Year (Ivy Years #3) (The Ivy Years) by Sarina Bowen <— release date September 29th 2014 (here’s my review of book #1: The Year We Fell Down)… So good!
- Rhett in Love by J.S. Cooper <— release date September 3oth 2014
- Rock Courtship: A Rock Kiss Novella by Nalini Singh <— release date September 3oth 2014
- The Resolution of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence Series Book 6) by Jessica Sorensen <— release date September 3oth 2014
- Filthy Beautiful Love (Filthy Beautiful Lies Book 2) by Kendall Ryan <— release date September 3oth 2014
- Dylan (From the Inside Out Book 3) by S.L. Scott <— release date September 29th 2014
- Austin (From the Inside Out Book 4) by S.L. Scott <— release date September 29th 2014
- Surviving Broken (A Mathews Family Novel Book 4) by Beverly Preston <— release date September 29th 2014
- Rockers After Dark: 6 Book Bundle of Sexy Musicians by TONS of authors! It’s a ROCK STAR anthology on pre-order <— release date September 3oth 2014
- Fierce Series – Boxed Set (New Adult Alpha Fighter Romance) by Clarissa Wild <— bundled! <— release date September 3oth 2014
- Handled by Angela Graham & S.E. Hall <— nice cover 😉 <— release date September 3oth 2014
- Priestess Dreaming (An Otherworld Novel) by Yasmine Galenorn <— release date September 3oth 2014
- Chained by Night (The Moonbound Clan Vampires Book 2) by Larissa Ione <— release date September 3oth 2014
- Generation 18: The Spook Squad 2 by Keri Arthur <— release date September 3oth 2014
I totally 1-clicked Monster in His Eyes which I have been wanting and Chains! Thanks Maryse!
My pleasure Jean!!! And barely any waiting on #2 since it’ll be out on Monday!!! 😀
Have you heard of With the Father by Jenni Moen? I just finished it and OMG!!! It’s a hard book to rate but overall the writing was excellent. Definitely a captivating read!!
I have heard so many great things about Monster in His Eyes!!! And of course you introduced me to J.M. Darhower with Sempre and Sempre Redemption (which I don’t think you’ve read yet) and loved then!
I have read ‘Broken’ and ‘Once In A Lifetime’. Loved them both, wonderful books, once I started could’t put down and had to finish them in one sitting.
Just one-clicked Chains after seeing it on your list. Thanks! I’m dying for Locke to release on Monday – I’ve wanted his book ever since I read Axel. I think I saw that Cooper is on sale right now too. I also picked up the Blythe College Series box set when Harper Sloan recommended it and was very happy I did! I think it’s still $0.99 also. 🙂
Hi Denise! YESSSSS that is on my TBR list from it’s release day!! Very excited about it.
Thank you Shell. They both sound SO awesome. 😀
Shelly I have to read Harper Sloan… so many here LOVE her alphas…
Ok love me by Julie prestsater was such a let down… From start to finish.
But the decimation of Mae d.h sidebottom was a major deal read.. And was out of this world.. Kind of on the same as the tide man.. I am still in a book fog.. Girls u got to read this..
Gah! Bummer Milissa… thank you so much for your feedback.
I did have The decimation of Mae on a previous list.. very dark sounding!
Ohmigosh! I can’t believe I forgot to also say that Tijan has the Fallen Crest series box set on sale for .99!!! Love that series & it’s a great deal.
Gravity, Consumed and Twice In a Lifetime are definitely upcoming reads for me. *gasp* And those drinks on the front of the Consumed books!!! I found this recipe (no pic, but the name of it implies it’s just what we are looking for), and it sounds so insanely good. I would so make it for you ladies in a heartbeat!!
I just remembered a book I read a little while ago and thought I would mention it, Finding Bliss by Dina Silver. It’s been a bit so I can’t remember if I had any real issues with it (writing, character development, etc.), but I remember I was overall pleased with it. I was blindsided by something that happened, enough that it was an “oh sh*t!” moment. Probably should have seen it coming but didn’t. ‘Cause I’m awesomely observant like that. 😉
Candy Cougar!!! Hahahahah perfection!!!! Okay I’m doing these tonight!
I am reading Resisting Temptation by K.C. Lynn, which was just released this week. Almost done and I have loved every part of it. It’s an easy 5*s for me. This is the third book in the Men of Honor series each featuring very sexy, alpha ex- Navy Seals. It can be read as a standalone though. So good!
You guys are starting on the drinks already?? Oh well, guess it’s 5:00 somewhere!
Yes Maryse, you do have to read the Harper Sloan series… One of my favorites… and I will be dropping everything for Locke when it is released!!
I had a martini like that at a TGIF and loved it! But they called it something else. I had to buy it because of the cotton candy. 🙂
You *have* to make them tonight “with” me, Maryse…I can’t be the only one enjoying that hot pink goodness. 😀 Who else is going to be a Candy Cougar tonight???
That’s right, Jean!! It’s the excuse around here when a drink is just too good to wait for. And I am gonna light the Candy Cougar on fire just to see if that b*tch will look like the drink on the third Consumed book! 😛
Oh! OMG! Yummy to the nth power!! *bouncing in seat* I want to make these, too…I’m going to have such a mean hangover tomorrow. *shaking head*
Come on, Jean and Shelly…we can all drink them “with” each other tonight. And then we can all do some drunk reading. Just ask Diane…she’s all for that! 😉
Haha!!!!!! I love blow pops! They look yummy, but I will be traveling tonight so damn…….
Grabbed come dancing. 1981 five-star book got to try it.
Not sure if you’d be interested in sharing but Amalie Silver has her book Word Play on sale this weekend for .99¢!! It’s a great book!!! Here’s the link
I just read Beautifully Awake and Beautifully Done and loved them both a lot! Beautifully Done gave me a surprise punch to the feelings that brought on my first book tears in a while. Also, both books contain completely sexy guys, and wonderful women. Good stuff.
Well, Amy, I love candy and some of these books make me “feel” like a cougar, so count me in for the Candy Cougars. Its been a few weeks since I had a Friday night tipsy reading session. Perfect timing since I’m starting Original Sinners tonight.
Got hooked with the sample from Degradation and, omg. So good. Now, I’m 19% in and loving it. Normally, when someone writes the rebellious slutty girl who becomes hard, I sincerely don’t like her, but Tate is awesome and real. I hope the book continues like this.
I love cotton candy- so count me in for drunk reading time!!!
Gravity, Monster in His Eyes- was waiting for book 2 before starting that one, and Perfect Summer look good.
Darn! I don’t have cotton candy… I may need to run out and grab some so I can drink & read with y’all!!!
I’ll drink one for you, Jean. 😉 Yay! It’s Candy Cougar night and I’m not drinking and reading alone! I just have to make a run to the liquor store and then it’s on! Just like there is no such thing as TMI with me, there is no such thing as too sweet. 😀
So, I’m looking at Gravity, Unspeakable Truths or Where We Belong for tonight. Or, I could continue on to Bold Tricks since I finished Shooting Scars. Or Unrequited. Or…I’m pretty sure there was another one I was going to start but I can’t remember what it was. I *do* remember flipping a coin over it though… 😕
I loved Monster in his Eyes and will definitely be getting the 2nd one.
I’ve definitely been feeling like a cougar because I have a serious crush on Mason Kade from the Fallen Crest series. It’s embarrassing! I’ll have to skip the cotton candy cougar martini though but I join in with the Cabernet I just poured.
Haha! Jean said blow pops!!!
*blush* I’m so immature. Tee hee! 😛
Er… can you tell I’m extra Candy Cougar-ish tonight? 😉
Bring you wine, Tracy!
Er… YOUR wine. *snort*
Read Beautifully Awake and Beautfiully Done a while back and both are excellent reads!! Beautifully Done made my cry for the first time in a while. It was a fantastic story and I liked it even better than Beautifully Awake! Fantastic!!
Happy birthday to me & I get Locke on my day. *swoon*. I can’t freaking wait.
Happy birthday Lisa!! *hands Lisa a candy cougar martini*
Monster in His Eyes and Gravity for me – look I’m being frugal this week. Although I want Locke and Chained by Night once I catch up in those series.
MARYSE!!!! You make me PROUD!! *cackling*
Hey, hey…you know why those two words are so perfect together??? Because a blow leads to a POP!!! LOL!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!!!! It’s your birthday so we won’t be snatching your martini tonight…RIGHT, Maryse? *eyes Maryse*
I’m so in lust with candy cougar martinis…I’ve already downed three…SO glad I drove around trying to find cotton candy ’cause it makes the drink…
Oh!!! Candy Cougars ’cause our guys in books are nice eye candy, or ya know, nice mind’s eye candy, and it turns us into COUGARS!!!!
I was already waiting to pounce on it… *snort* You know… cougar… 😉 Mmmmmm.. martinis…
LOL! Love it.
Amy you have to read Bold Tricks! I am so loving this series. The story is sooo good and it just keeps getting better, and has me on edge!!! Karina Halle rocks!!! *smiling and sipping candy cougar martini*
Happy Birthday Lisa!!
*snort* You were gonna pounce like a cougar…on “it”…and we all know what “it” is!!!! 😛
Cherrrrrrryyyyyylllllll, I don’t wanna! It’s gonna be intense and I still don’t know who I want her to end up with. Let me stay in my candy cougar bubble for a little bit longer, ‘kay?
Pssstttt… *whispering* Maryse thinks she has a claim on Javier but he’s MINE right now!!! I wanna blow pop him! *snicker*
*looking around for Maryse*
Oh sh!t, that was pretty bad…
*snort* I still wanna though!!!
hahahahahahahahh!!!!!!! I have BLOW pops here!!!!
Proud, I tell ya!!!!!!
It is intense and oh I wanna blow pop Javier up side his head, and I don’t mean that in a good sexual way either!!! Bold Tricks is a crazy, sexy, wild roller coaster ride. Hold tight to your drink!! 😉 My only complaint is I wish the epilogue was longer.
Yes, Amy !! Drunk reading LOL!!
Amy I finished Bold Tricks. I LOVED the Artist’s Trilogy. So well-written and what a great story. I’m going to read Surviving Raine now since I promised Jean and Fabi said it was so good, and it’s been on my tbr list for so long. Then I’ll be ready to read the Fever series with you, unless I squirrel! 🙂
Cheryl I’m green with envy of you reading Surviving Raine and the Fever series for the first time. 🙂
I just finished Unrequited. I actually surprised myself by finishing it. But it’s so short that it reads more like a magazine article than a book.
I mentioned before that it is light and fluffy, even airy. I think the best way to describe it is as a Disney like fairytale. G rated and wholly appropriate for young audiences. Excellent cookie cutter form, but missing the dough filling. The PNR aspect of it is like a random sprinkle fell on the empty cookie shape.
I won’t bother rating a book I was unable to finish. But since I got to the last page of this one, I am going to give it 1 star because of the time I wasted on it that I could have spent reading anything else. (The back of my cereal box is sounding exciting right now)
I can’t help but think that there is something wrong with a society that allows publishings of this caliber and calls them books. This is even worse than running across a book with so many editing and grammatical mistakes that is impossible to read. This one is actually a precisely written piece of fluff.
Next week Callie & Kayden !!!!! I loved them!!!! One of my favorite couples
My last post should of said 1981 rock star book. The book takes place in the eighties which should be fun. Just started it. Crossing my fingers it’s fun.
Oh, and then may go to Monster in his eyes. That cover keeps catching my eye.
Monster in his Eyes was really good. I’d recommend it, ( probably four star good).
I just finished Degradation and Separation. Both were intense with characters I felt I should hate, but instead adored. They are sincerely messed up. Superficially, he’s cold and an a$$ beyond any and she’s slutty and love resistant. Then, you get to the people they are, and just love them. The steamy is violent, though. Big warning there! It works for them, though. It’s a huge part of their messed-up-ness and just works.
If you want to start a really good book then Away is it. It’s the only one so far that has made me cry and I so didn’t expect it. The writing is really good too. Really nice story. I think the sequel is coming out soon but there’s no cliff hangers. And for all of us in Aussie land we are already sloshed on a Friday night before you even start. Don’t know if that’s good or bad as I feel I have to catch up the next day.
I finally finished Fabi’s recommended “Bad Things” on Saturday morning. Life has just gotten in the way this week. It was fantastic. If you are in the mood for dark and forbidden and gritty it is THE choice. Reminded me of Original Sinners (so much so I recommended that series to Fabi). I loved that it had sex scenes that were polar opposites: one was shocking and crude, the other the most tender writing I think I’ve ever read. The fact that it was m/m didn’t factor in at all. Very complicated characters. Very well written. Not for the faint of heart. 5 stars for me too!!!
I have no idea what I should read now. I should go visit my TBR list, but I am almost too wiped out from that book to do that. I might re-read The Saint because all that Original Sinners talk with Fabi made me miss Soren and Nora (aka Ellie, aka Eleonor) and Kingsley….
What’s everyone else reading?
I am on track to read Original Sinners and even downloaded and read the sample on Friday.
But I seem to be in the cleaning mood this weekend. Must be the climate change. So I’ve gone back and finished books I had started to clean up my dnfs.
I finally finished Crazy Good. I don’t know why I kept squirrelling away from this one. It took me 3 go-backs but I finished this awesome book. It made me laugh, cry happy years, cry sad tears, shake my head and groan at some of the characters, and really just fall in love with everyone I met.
Now to see where the rest of Sunday leads me in my reading adventures. More clean up or sinking down into a series that looks like it will consume my reading life for a long time?
Cheryl, you’ll be happy to know that I’m halfway through Bold Tricks. Still torn between Javier and Camden though. I can’t remember the last time, if ever, that I didn’t know which guy I wanted the h to have!
Mertxe, I didn’t realize that one was coming out already! I left off with that series at the second book, but they are a great couple. Such broken people who together are whole. *sigh*
Daaaaaaang, Fabi…so, you didn’t care for it, huh? 😉 Sounds like Crazy Good made up for it though. I *have* to start that one soon!
MichelleS, I’m reading Bold Tricks right now and then I have no idea what I will start. Although…Bev and Tessa have my interest piqued with Monster in His Eyes. Oh! And Degradation. *giggle* That one just sounds dark and dirty.
Melinda! Your comment almost made me spit out coffee on my iPad! LOL!! I say definitely catch up with us the next day…you need to join us when we have our tipsy conversations here! 😀
Okay, last comment before I have to take off and run errands…
I have to say something about Ellie and Javier’s first time (her *actual* first time). Yeah, every girl dreams of having her hymen JACKHAMMERED like that her first time. And in the way he positioned her. *eyeroll* Nice, man…real nice. 😛
*coffee spit and splattered all over myself*
I can always count on you to have less of a filter than I do. *hugzz*
Amy, the second book of degradation, separation, ends on a CH, so you might want to buy and wait. Seriously dirty, and I can’t wait for the non-filtereed review of those scenes.
I finished Not Your Damn Submissive. Totally not what I expected. Very sweet, though. I almost want the before to really get the oomph of the after, but it’s still sweet. 🙂
Bold Tricks? Jackhammered? I gotta wee what that’s about.
Amy – I abandoned that series a while ago…. bought it when it first came out – loved Javier, so I don’t know why I didn’t finish it. Now I have to go back and rediscover it (just because of your hymen jackhammer positioning comment – thanks a lot). Did you ever read her Donners of the Dead? That wacky stand alone about the old west meets zombies? And a “half breed” girl and the tall dark and dangerous cowboy? Strangely good in a really weird way. Read it this summer while camping!
Speaking of strangely good with zombies….. did any of ya’ll read The Holy Trinity series by Madeline Sheehan (yes that MS of the MC world fame)! It was amazingly good and I don’t remember anyone ever talking about it. If you like Experiment in Terror, you’d probably like Holy Trinity. And the fact that MS wrote it is just a bonus! It’s hard to describe: dystopian meets urban fantasy? I am anxiously awaiting the final book.
Okay, so the errands will have to wait a bit…’cause I’m comfy all wrapped up in my blankie and feeling lazy.
LOL Fabi!!! *squeezy hug* I only use a filter when I absolutely have to. 😉
Tessa, it’s in On Every Street…but even though it is a prequel, you should read that *after* Sins and Needles. Seriously, that scene made my near-circumcision look like a paper cut!
MichelleS, I have read that Donners book but it sounds crazy! I’m gonna have to one-click it in a minute. I haven’t read the EIT series yet even though all of them are sitting on my Kindle app (*bracing for the backlash*), but I *have* read the Holy Trinity series. OMG, I can’t wait until the last book comes out! The second one just about killed me. You know which part I’m talking about…at the cabin by the lake? Oh, my heart. I seriously felt her heartbreak. *sob* Did you read the third book, the novella?
Oh! And for anyone who hasn’t read the Holy Trinity series, the first book is FREE right now! 😀
MichelleS “dystopian meets urban fantasy” ? Glad it’s you making me want to squirrel away from OS. I mean, really, why not just dangle a carrot in front of my nose and call me good horsey.
THEN Amy pops in with the magic “free”
No way any of y’all are going to blame me for squirreling on this one. Not.my.fault.
Gotta go take care of my one-click addiction. 🙂
I’ll be damned, The Soulmate is already on my kindle. No need to click click click. At least my next read is decided. Whew, that’s always a tough one when not going from one to the next in a series. So many books, so little time…
That series is insane! I did read it, and there were so many good parts. I haven’t read the third ( thought I had) so something new for my TBR. I thought the books had been mentioned before, but since not, a must read. For those who haven’t read Fever, read it first! 😛
Fever? What does that one have to do with The Holy Trinity?
*snicker* Don’t worry, Fabi…I got your back! We’ll just toss some blow pop martinis or candy cougar martinis at anyone who gives you a hard time. 😉
The first book is a little repetitive in that it all takes place in the one camp with Trinity fighting the pull to Gerik while simultaneously wanting him (if that makes any sense), but stick with it because the end…the END is a WTF ending!! And a lot happens in the second book so it’s not repetitive like the first.
Oh, and I think Tessa is trying to persuade people to the Fever series from the Holy Trinity series. It’s on, Tessa!! 😛
Amy, Amy, Amy, Javier the jackhammer. Blaahahaha!!! I was thinking the same thing- damn what a first time. Not necessarily the jackhammer, but not what every girl dreams about. I don’t know I didn’t feel torn between Javier and Camden though.
Had me on the Holy Trinity series until you said the final book isn’t out. Don’t really want to start another unfinished series.
Finishing Surviving Raine (which I’m having a hard time getting into, Yeh, yeh I know I’ll get grief about that) and then I think I’ll be ready to read the Fever series; I think unless I squirrel. 😉
Amy – yes, read the Novella – that series hooked me bad – so I read everything back-to-back. I was running around saying “fata” this and “fata” that and went a little nutso after that series. It’s so weird I don’t even know how to explain it. Anyway – thought of you and your “eclectic” tastes, that’s why I mentioned it.
Fever has NOTHING to do with any of these series!!! I think it will just always come up when someone says they haven’t read it because there are few series that are that well written. Love K.M. Moning. It’s like Haley’s comet – it just comes back around over and over. 🙂
OH NO FABI….. I did not mean to sway you away from The Original Sinners. There is no comparison. The books are so well written. So complicated. I’ve got to stop gushing about previous reads because squirrelly Fabi is like a good little submissive here….. going wherever we lead her! dang it! stick with it girl….. the last book is worth the journey!
Did you read the final book, Maryse? You were reading that series once upon a time, I think.
I think I am going to go for Deacon tonight. I can’t believe I didn’t gobble it up on day one. I guess a few “so so” ones from KA made me a little gun shy….
Don’t worry Michelle, I WILL read OS. There’s absolutely no doubt that I’ll read it. I already even started it with the sample. I was thinking it wouldn’t be a bad idea for me to give it a little time between Bad Things and The Siren. It’s been a week and a few books I’m just now starting to get over my book fog. I want to give The Siren the credit it deserves so I need my palette fresh for that read instead of coming off another similar type of mind blowing read.
Anyone other wine drinkers here? I’m sure you will appreciate the metaphor. It makes a huge difference. 🙂
MichelleS, as far as the sub reference, bite your tongue woman. I can barely even read books with willing subs as characters. It turns my stomach and makes me mad at the same time. Nope, just not my thing. I can barely handle it in books, so if I ever took a walk on that particular wild side it would have to be in the D shoes not the S. 😉
*grins* Nah, both Amy and Fabi said they’d read the Fever series next. It’s so hard not to squirrel though. I’m just being a brat.
Tessa, dont even tempt me to read Fever again. It crossed my mind a few times since we all started talking about. But I can’t possibly re-read something when I have so many new ones in my tbr. So please, no temptation thrown my way, else Michelle will be thinking me a sub again. :-0
I’m sorry Fabi but that did make me LAUGH.
I read Come Dancing and it was just ok for me. I thought it would have more oomph to it. It was all first person and he is a big time rock star in New York and LA in the 80s. It was set up realistically with groupies everywhere and drugs being everywhere, but she felt removed so I did too. It almost had more of a chick lit style.
Not sure what next. I have two over due library books but really feel like romance. Thinking maybe Monster in His Eyes.
Michelle S can’t wait to hear what you think of Deacon. Kind of want to hear other’s impressions.
“but really feel like romance. Thinking maybe Monster in His Eyes”
Sorry – I had to laugh! when did we start thinking of books like this as romance, Bev? remember the days of finding half naked men on the cover in the library? and men in kilts rescuing damsels in distress? I blame Maryse and her “Bad Boys & Rock Stars” section!
I accept that blame! 😉 I’ve corrupted us all… LOL!
I had a “bad boys & rock stars” collection on my Kindle (all of them found on this blog) and had to create sub categories because it got too full to figure out!! Now I have: Modern Angsty, Modern Edgy, Contemporary, Rock Stars, Motorcycle Clubs, Teacher/Student…… it;s so embarrassing. Who is going to come bury my Kindle if I get hit by a bus? Fabi? You live close.
Heh, I thought that right after I wrote it. My library books are more fantasy and pretty sure that romance is not a priority in them. And felt like a darker angsty type but with potential romance, lol.
You know I’ve been thinking of grabbing one of those old Garwood romances of the library shelf. Oh ow I loved those books.
MichelleS Hahaha too funny burying your kindle. I’m afraid there’s no help for me considering how vocal I am on blogs and reviews. I don’t bother disguising my name. I think that comes with age. The older I get, the less that shocks or even surprises me, so I’m more comfortable with my reading predilections.
Bev, when I was reading historical romance, let’s just call it “way back then”, I was embarrassed by the covers so would use a book cover on them or not take them out of the house with me.
We’ve come a long way ladies. Thanks Maryse. *snort*
Kidding though, cause I was reading steamy books before I found your blog. The only thing I wasn’t reading before your blog is contemporary romance. So thank you for expanding my horizons.
Michelle S I have thought the same of my ereader.
Fabi I’m still embarrassed by the covers, lol. I do like the Monster in his Eyes cover though. I think he is handsome.
I *love* being able to read on my Kindle app and Nook…no embarrassing covers for everyone to see! Believe it or not, I do actually get embarrassed at times. 😉 Like when I was at Subway and making small talk with the older couple in front of me, and when I saw that he was getting all kinds of crazy hot things on his sandwich I told him he must have a strong tongue. He blushed and turned around and the wife gave me a dirty look. Freaking awkward as hell.
Maryse didn’t corrupt us…she unleashed our inner dark b!tches!!! 😛
Amy, that’s funny. I would of been beet red.
Ok, so I’m only 7% in but now I know why Michelle was laughing. I think I remember reading the blurb but can’t remember what it said. I guess thought it would be like Sempre. From the prologue and the age difference, whoa, I’m guessing not.
Bev, what are you reading? I scrolled up to see what you’d mentioned but only saw library books, romance and Monster in His Eyes. Is that the one you’re reading?
I’m 13% into The Soul Mate and loving it!
Dystopian, urban fantasy, pnr, and romance. This author was thinking of my eclectic tastes when she came up with this plot. Maybe she couldn’t pick a favorite genre either. Now all I need are some hunky space aliens and a bit of time travel and I’m all set. 🙂 although, it’s starting to sound like great grandma’s stew. You know, the one where all the favorite left overs ended up.
So I made it to 31% with Deacon. Talk about a SLOW build up. Oy Veh! Who said it was classic KA? Classic KA was Circe running for her life in a wife hunt on page ONE of the novel. Classic KA was Tyra sleeping with Tack, her boss, on page one before she knew it was him. Classic KA is the hot bunch at Fortnums and everybody and their brother getting kidnapped! It’s not that it’s bad. She can’t write a bad book….. but something better be happening soon!!! Thirty one percent folks…. do you know what plot twists have usually happened by 31%? Going to try and finish tomorrow. Someone please tell me something is happening soon? This reminds me of Nora Roberts The Witness. Everybody loved that book and I was, like…. um…. I don’t get it. Bev…… I totally get where you’re coming from in this one.
Fabi – I am jealous. You get to experience the “fata” deliciousness of Xan and Gerik…. while I am working my way through the redecorating and renovating of every single cabin in the woods of Colorado! (Totally wacky, but good, isn’t it? – The Holy Trinity, I mean).
Monster in his Eyes and I’m really liking it so far, though barely started.
That does sound good. Sheehan is one of those that I do in small doses, lol. To me, most of her characters are unlikable. Even the heroine from the first book who I think we were suppose to like. But did read it straight through.
Lol, because I actually liked the first part of Deacon. I wish it had gone more in depth. Well not the decorating, but the meetings. I like the does he or doesn’t he parts. So more detail of there time together during that part.
To me the beginning felt more vintage KA for some reason. Maybe cause I started with Cal and Tate and there was a slightly slower burn.
Oh, but just wait Michelle S she goes somewhere new and unexpected, lol.
MichelleS I’m still in shock that you didn’t want to immediately go find out more about Dario and Aiden. I just had to go find out how that love story happened. Shoot, I missed work over it. The shy rock star and the almost too beautiful to look at partner in a love so sweet and tender and solid. I could not resist finding out how that happened in Dangerously Happy. haaaa now I’m feeling like a voyeur. My tags keep growing. First sub (not lol) now voyeur (not ever irl yuk). But hey, all is good in love and books right?
But yeah, I’m loving The Soulmate. Though now you mention it’s a love triangle, I’m a little more reserved for it. I don’t care for those so much. I still resent Elora’s choice in My Familiar Stranger. I loved the book, just didn’t agree with her choice.
I’m going to be a book zombie tomorrow. A lot farther in a now REALLY can see why Michelle S was laughing at me. Oh man.
I’m liking it but also have to keep reminding myself how young the h is for her not to see anything or question.
Fabi – I was being very loyal to a much love author and wanted to knock out her latest in a couple of evenings since it was sent to my Kindle (pre-order). Maybe I should have read A & D’s story…. that might be why this is a let down so far…. I was still on that Bad Things high.
Fabi – you didn’t like Elora’s choice of Ram? (SHOCKED FACE)…. you know he’s my ultimate PNR main squeeze, so I was perfectly fine with it. And Storm’s story (a couple of books later) is so good…. you just forget all about any heartache…..
I loved and hated where The Holy Trinity went with all the characters. It’s not predictable and that I like very much.
“I was still on that Bad Things high.”
Michelle, that is exactly why I want a few books between that one and Original Sinners. After reading the sample, I already know it’s going to be an awesome book. I want to be able to give it 100% of my attention without feelings from Bad Things intruding.
Weeeelll, you gave away the spoiler first. Hmmm sooo
Ok, remember, I’ve only read the very first book in the series, so limiting the story line of My Familiar Stranger to its beginning and end only. She passed up love, kindness and devotion not to mention protection, for someone else who made her panties wet. The true mate thing did alleviate it somewhat. But it still broke my heart when “he” got on the plane alone. I need to read his story so I can get over this…
The first triangle I’ve ever read was Twilight. I had a big problem with that scenario too. Even after it resolved, not good enough for me.
It’s obviously just me with these things because millions of people are ok with the storyline.
I can already feel the triangle forming in The Soulmate. Just have to wait and see how I feel about the resolution I guess.
Wow you guys were busy this weekend! Did any of you get any reading done?!? Haha!! I am just finishing Shooting Scars and was SO EXCITED to see Locke downloaded on my Kindle this morning!!!!!!
After Locke, thinking Monster in His Eyes!
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
I feel kind of bad not reading some of the current ones y’all are reading, but some of those are series that I haven’t started yet.
I’m at 50% with The Soulmate and LOVING it. Such a great book. My only complaint at this point is that it’s a short book so the world building and development of character isn’t there. It’s almost like I was thrown in to this world expected to know the circumstances and how they’ve affected the current characters. Again, just my predilection for epic type books I guess. But, man, this is one great story.
Jean, I finished Bold Trick last night so you need to catch up! Hehe, says me who has about a dozen unfinished series. 😛
Fabi, I’m so glad you are loving The Soulmate! The love triangle for me was kind of different in that she has the “soulmate” pull to Gerik but she wants their feelings to be genuine for each other and not just because they are supposed to be together (and he can be *such* a jacka$$ at times!), whereas her feelings for the “other guy” – not sure if mentioning his name would be spoilery so I won’t – develop naturally and seem more real. Just wait…a lot happens in the second book, and oh, did it hurt my heart! *clutching chest*
Oh I’m checking out comments from this weekend that I missed, and I totally have to read that holy trinity series you all were discussing. I had no idea MS wrote something like this – good rec ladies 🙂
I think you’ll like it, Michelle! And of course the first one is FREE so…ya know, a great way to start a great series. 😉
Just finished The Soulmate. I LOVED it. Dang. I wish there was something bigger than capitals I could put on that word. I could hardly put this book down. It was non-stop.
I hated the ending. Now I remember why I don’t like series books. I don’t mind them and even like them when they’re like bdb and focus mostly on one character per book. But this, this I don’t like. I want my books to have a definitive start and ending. Saying that, I again repeat, incredible book, incredible story. Hands down awesome.
I’m just going to add one more comment. I’m ok with a book leaving wanting a sequel only because I loved the world and characters so much that I don’t want to leave. I only have a problem with books that require a sequel because the story is unfinished. I feel cheated with those books.
A great example is Vain. Incredibly great book, but I wouldn’t recommend reading it until the series was complete. (which I think it is now – not positive)
Oh and PS MichelleS, I was ok with how that triangle resolved itself throughout the book. I like heroines who are strong enough to make the right choices even when those choices are difficult to make.
So Amy, how did you like Bold Tricks?? Are you still for Javier…. or maybe you better not tell me……. I’m at 80%of Shooting Scars…. Ugh!
I have Soulmate! I downloaded it a while ago and now you guys are making me want to read it!
And Fabi, wanted to thank you for reading Unrequited and taking one for the team… Don’t think I’ll be getting that one now!
I just finished my review for the Wright Brother… I’ll be posting it tonight.
Think I’m gonna start an alpha-male from Harper Sloan’s series. I still haven’t read these yet and I’m SO in the mood.
Can’t wait to see your review of the Wright Brother! I loved it! And I think you will love Harper Sloan’s series….each book gets better and better! I am starting Locke tonight… So excited!!
Oooooh, the Wright Brother…so *many* feels with that one!
I’m a little different in that when series focus on one or two characters per book, I am okay with it but usually end up squirreling before finishing the series. If a book is really good (like with the Holy Trinity series or Tristan and Danika…yeah, I said them again! :P) then I don’t want it to end with one book, and I want the story to span over 3 or 4 books. It’s neat getting to know everyone’s “book personalities” around here! 😉
Jean, I loved Bold Tricks! A lot of “oh sh!t” moments. And I still think Javier is…complex *snort* but I can’t help but feel something for that guy. Okay, *more* than something. 😉
The Holy Trinity is a great series, and apart from some minor, petty complaints I had, it’s a crazy (in a good way!) world to get wrapped up in!
Curious as to what you will think of Harper Sloan’s series. So many LOVE it but I DNF the first one. The heroine……I just couldn’t.
I’ll read both types of series. I am getting tired of the unexpected cliff hangers.
Fabi – are you going to move on to book two? then there’s a short novella too? I couldn’t stop with The Holy Trinity series once I started. Soul Mate left me hanging! Glad you liked it! I just KNEW you would!!! (I gave away a spoiler? I did? when? I didn’t mean to, if I did…..)
I am still meandering my way through Deacon. Major squirreling happening.
Fabi – am I an idiot for so totally liking the “fata” thing? I’m an idiot…. reminded me of when they kept saying “shei’tan” and “shei’tani” in the Tairen Soul series…. I love cool, creative pet names. So I go around calling my family whatever pet name is in my book at the time! like I said… idiot
Maryse – O I’m thinking, “that sounds familiar”…. Harper Sloan alpha male…. so I check my Kindle…. apparently I read Axel Sept 2013 – can not remember a THING about it. I hate that! Can’t wait to read your review. See what I did wrong. I think it was a DNF for me. (boo). Hate when I can’t finish….
Whoot! Home and reading. Going to finish up Monster which was not what I was expecting but can’t stop reading. Then on to Stepbrother. I’m not a fan of that title but the book sounds fun. I just read a review and it said mostly from the heroines point of view, who is likable and an ahole hero, lol.
MichelleS I liked the pet names in The Soul mate. 🙂
I’ve been thinking all day about what to read next. Yes, I’m tempted to keep going with the Holy Trinity. But there are 3-4 other series I need to keep going with too.
Then I have 2-3 in my tbr that I can’t believe I didn’t read the very second they came out. They were preorders for me.
Then…The Siren…sooo calling my name. Plus, it feels like I already started it since I read the sample. I’m really leaning towards this one.
Or, maybe I need to catch up another episode of Outlander. Is anyone still watching that?
I’m almost afraid to start anything tonight because Maryse will come out with one of her humongous irresistable lists tomorrow and I’ll be chewing on my fingers because I can’t get to all of them.
You’re not an idiot, MichelleS…I loved “fata” as well. 😉 Arghhhhhh, when is the next one coming out?!?
Amy wasn’t it you who kept saying no cliff hangers?
Oh Fabi, you went there… 😛
Seriously though, I do hate clilffhangers because they get me all pissy, but the second HT book and the novella (#2.5, I guess?) don’t really have big CHs. It’s more like they leave you anxious for the next one. Make sense? Well, it sounded like it did in my head. *snort* Not that *that* is saying much… 😉
It makes perfect sense in my head too. *snort* No worries Amy, I got you. lol Kind of like Written in Red. Not a CH exactly but we know there’s more to the story.
MichelleS, I need advice here with The Siren.
I just read the first “scene” pages 46-51.
Is this how the rest of the book is? I mean are there more scenes like this?
If so, I have to admit I’m too much of a sissy to read this book. IMO things like that are worse than rape. I simply can’t read about them even though I know it’s a work of fiction.
I’m at work Fabi – and have no idea what “scene” that could be…. give me a hint….
Yes, I’m watching Outlander, the series on STARZ, but really mad that they are cutting the season in half. Feel cheated. Mid season break? who does that? And I like everyone EXCEPT the guy playing Jamie – dodging tomatoes – I just don’t think his acting is up to sped with the rest of them. he is always smirking and has weird delivery of lines. Not natural. She is fabulous though. he’s just not “my Jamie”…. he looks fine…. but he’s not macho and rumbly voiced like I pictured.
That list of Marys’e today is the hugest ever. I am going to need a cup of tea and some time to get through it!