The news links are still coming in fast and furious and the media is still going crazy with this Fifty Shades trilogy. Interesting stuff to read and watch (and on occasion, frustrating, ’cause I still tend to think they’re overdoing it with the whole “sex” aspect).
As Jan on my Facebook page mentioned:
Jan: I got frustrated watching Good Morning America talking about 50 Shades. All they talked about was how hot and sexy the book is. They seem to be missing the point that it has hit the best seller list, because it also has a great story and fascinating characters.
Of Course, I will never eat Ben & Jerry’s ice cream or ride in an elevator without a smile on my face.
Maryse’s Book Blog: LOL!! True though. They sure are running with the whole *sex* thing. Like I said. They missed the point, it goes so much deeper then that. But I suppose the media and “sensationalism” go hand and hand. As the old adage goes… “Sex sells 😉 “
But there are just so many reports and video clips, it’s getting hard to keep up. So I’ve done my best to compile a list for us to look at, at our leisure 😉
- Angela sent us this link (“Borrowed from Tina’a page 🙂 – Deconstructing Fifty Shades of Grey
- Jamie: Front page of the New York Times!!! (“Ok, my Mom is now starting Fifty Shades because of this article… LOL!! Should make for interesting coffee talk with Mom”) – An Erotic Novel, ‘50 Shades of Grey,’ Goes Viral With Women
- Logan Levkoff, Ph.D.: “Here is the clip from my appearance this morning on Good Morning America. (It’s short, but I think, poignant.)”
- Logan Levkoff, Ph.D: “Here is my clip from the Today Show talking about Fifty Shades of Grey. And I DO NOT think that the book represents violence against women. Just sayin’ .” (this is the one with Dr. Drew)
- Lucia emailed me this link: “Hey, Maryse. I don’t know if you saw this article about EL James and her phenomenal work in Guardian UK, so I sent you this link, hoping you will publish on your blog.” “British author’s ‘mommy porn’ becomes US bestseller” —> Thanks Lucia!!! side note from Maryse: ICK! What a title! *rolls eyes* – how disparaging!
- I found this one online: “from today’s Publishers Marketplace purchase reports: Women’s/Romance
“Paperback rights to EL James’s FIFTY SHADES trilogy, to Anne Messitte at Vintage, in a major deal, reportedly for seven figures, at auction, for re-release starting March 12, 2012, by The Writer’s Coffee Shop. James is represented by Valerie Hoskins at Valerie Hoskins Associates.”
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’: Fantasy or violence? (“In the video clip above, hear from panel of women, including Dr. Drew’s wife Susan, discuss the content the racy novel.”) – Sidenote from Maryse – Yay Dr. Drew’s wife!! She totally won’t “let him go there”. She GETS the book.
- Darcy Town There’s an article on CBS news about it too: How BDSM e-book “Fifty Shades of Grey” went viral
- Maryse’s Book Blog via Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James “Woooohoooo Christian is #1!!!!! Best Sellers – The New York Times www.nytimes.com”
- Popular Romance Trilogy Gets US Publisher
- Erotic Novel Called ‘a Band-Aid for Marriage’
- Amy Palmer Reporting on New York Live about The Fifty Shades Phenomenon
- Fifty Shades of Grey: Risque Trilogy a Hit with the Playground Posse
- Movie Rights Auction Set for ‘Mommy Porn’ Book Sensation ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ (thanks for that link, Tina!!)
- Beth sent me this link saying “Here is the link for the Today show talking about 50 shades” –> In the NYT: Steamy ‘Fifty Shades’ trilogy gets a wider re-release
- From Brandy: “I saw this and it made me laugh so I has to share it with ya!!” –> What It Would Really Be Like to Be Married to Christian Grey
- And from Sylvia: “March 26th issue of People Magazine (page 52) had a good paragraph on Fifty Shades of Grey. Thought you would find this interesting.”:
“What do women readers want? Judging from this literary juggernaut – an erotic novel about a shy undergrad in sexual thrall to a kinky exec – the mix includes S& M, highbrow references (our heroine quotes Thomas Hardy) and a hero with mom issues. Degrading to women? Not really. If you can overlook the clunky writing, James’s word-of-mouth hit is a fun ride.”
- Here’s one from Lucia: “British author’s ‘mommy porn’ becomes US bestseller“
- And a little note – check it out on Amazon – it now says:
- Publisher: Vintage (May 25, 2011)
- Sold by: Random House Digital, Inc.
Fifty-fever is everywhere!
You should also check out the story in the UK’s Daily Mail newspaper:
What I found HILARIOUS about this story, was the little ‘excerpt’ that they include in a side box:
‘Christian is standing over me grasping a plaited, leather riding crop.
‘He’s wearing old, faded, ripped Levis and that’s all. He flicks the crop slowly into his palm as he gazes down at me. He’s smiling, triumphant. I cannot move. I am BLEEP and BLEEP, BLEEP on a large four-poster bed.
‘Reaching forward, he trails the tip of the crop from my forehead down the length of my nose, so I can smell leather, and over my BLEEP, BLEEP lips. He pushes the BLEEP, BLEEP BLEEP, BLEEP, BLEEP etc…’
*Bleep bleep* funny! But come on! It wasn’t that bad was it? hehehe
I took a look at your video pieces and Dr.Drew is a piece of work. I think he is just upset because” 50 shades of Grey” is doing for women/marriages in a few weeks what he hasn’t been able to do as a doctor his whole career and maybe he’s jealous.
My library just got in the series so I already have my name in to finally read them. Of course everyone must read your blog because there are about 50 names ahead of mine. I will have to check back and see how many copies there are and how long my wait is.
AND!! Let us know what you think of ’em Beth. It’s not just hype 😉
more 50 shades publicity
Ooooh I am so excited – I don’t have time to “read” so all my literary pleasure comes from audio books and I have been seriously contemplated making an exception for this book since you’ve been chatting it up for months – but it’s finally coming out in audio on April 3rd! Yay! Now I can thoroughly read your posts instead of skimming and hoping I don’t spoil it for myself!
p.s. I love your blog!!! My entire “reading” list comes from you and you never fail!
Thank you Jen!! I love being able to help out 😉 YOU are SO going to love Fifty… Make sure you get back to me and let me know your thoughts!
I read the first three chapters and I just couldn’t get in to it. To me, the book’s main female lead was so annoying that it was frustrating. Give me a woman who has a backbone and can kick some butt. Do you think maybe I gave up on the book too soon? I know that the book has BDSM in it and I’m cool with that, but a weak and whiny woman as the lead just turns me off.
KEEP READING!!! I felt the same way. I seriously put the book down for a few minutes and picked it back up. You won’t be disappointed!!!! 🙂
I just arrived home from a VERY long day at work to find Fifty Shades on the freaking cover of EW. Yes. Entertainment Weekly!! Obviously my long day is now forgotten and I bask in my happiness that Fifty’s trilogy is being widely recognized.
I, like everyone else, have been following this media storm and it has definitely helped me to convince my friends to finally give the E. L. James’ Trilogy a chance. I feel like shouting, “See! This is what I’ve been telling you!” But then, a different thought penetrates and I suddenly have this amazing need to state the obvious. But it’s a need I cannot, will not deny…
What I have to say is simply this… E.L. James owes a good amount of thanks to Maryse. Period. Okay, there’s more…I also need to explain my thoughts.
Yes, E.L. James has created amazing characters with depth and heart to make a series of books that you WILL NOT put down until you’ve read the last word. I am definitely not discrediting her phenomenal work. But, with that said, I certainly would NEVER have heard of E.L. James or her books. Not without Maryse’s love of strong alpha males, the books that they come to life in, and the highly descriptive and entertaining way she reviews those books on her blog. If she deems the book worthy, she shamelessly expresses her love for it and the character and proceeds by listing the reasons for her love. She does this with the magical ability of keeping books’ secret(s), but also makes us understand why we NEED the book that she has enthusiastically deemed worthy. To date, she has not let me down. She has gained my trust and has added another fan to her already large fan base.
So Maryse, thank you for being you, for all you do, and most of all, thanks for sharing your gift with us.
Moxie… WOW!! Thank you so much. I am deeply touched. That is the most amazing thing to read. Just know, that I too, am so happy to have you guys enjoying these books with me. Enjoying the blog with me. It’s two-sided, my friend. Thank you all for sharing your favorites with me, and for sharing your time with me right here.
For anyone who’s interested…I just found Fifty on Audible.com. =) My commute to work will never be the same!!
People magazine states this week Fifty shades is being turned into a movie?? did we already know this? They have Amanda Seyfried and Ryan Gosling as possible cast?
ahhh. Master of the Universe, still spreading like wild fire. 🙂