Happy new release day, my friends!!
<— That one to the left? Makin’ me squirrel big time, ’cause I’m always drawn to the emotion… the angst of a military man’s wife getting “that” knock on the door. My heart hurts just thinking about it, but this one sounds like it’s tumultuous and even scary. I wanna read it!
But… there’s more that I wanna read. Makin’ my one-clicker antsy. LOL! Like: The Wild Side (I’m thinking this is Michelle’s all time favorite. At least… this year). Dust to Dust (<— but of course!!!!!!! 😀 Although I’m going to savor it this weekend, I think… make it last longer because it’s the last one in the series. My FAVORITE series. At least one of ’em)…. Undone sounds like it could have that romantic angst. I love one-nighters that turn into a big *oooops!*. Oh!! And THIS ONE!! Losing Me Finding You <— THAT blurb totally made me go *oooomph!!* (I posted the synopsis, pretty much in it’s entirely, below. I couldn’t choose one single part to highlight. It’s all awesome-sounding).
And I’ve noted more, below. 😉 Like a student-teacher one, a kidnap one, a sexy bartender one… 😉
P.S. Let me know if I’m missing any or if you loved any (from this list or elsewhere).
P.P.S. Don’t have a Kindle? No problem! Amazon offers various free Kindle apps and a free Kindle Cloud reader for any and ALL of us to use. You can either use the free Kindle App for your smartphone, tablet, AND your desktop computer (just like you’re using a Kindle, but right through your web browser <— No need to download anything! )
BARGAINS (NOTE: bargain priced when I added them, but prices can change on Amazon, so make sure to check before you finalize your order).
- How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo <— This is a MUST READ!!! And on sale right now, a MUST click!!! 😀 One of my favorite books ever, I will never forget anything about it. Totally a re-read for me. It’s one of those. I even called the author a bad name in my review (yes I had a panic attack at a certain point). LOL! And then I took it back. 😉 (Check out my review. You’ll see). <— And Whitney says: “Best review ever!!!! Perfect for a perfect book!” 😉 Hehe. And MichelleS agrees: “Just finished How to Kill a Rock Star…. un-put-down-able….. I had goosebumps and more than once I think all the blood in my extremities rushed to my head and heart at once because I got instantly cold from the “oh no”s that kept happening. Okay Okay, I admit it… it was worth squirreling over….” <— I KNEW IT!!!!! *beams* 😀
- Liam’s Journey by Heidi McLaughlin <— Books 1 & 4 of The Beaumont Series – Together for a limited time only
- Offside by Shay Savage <— Recent release and Fabi LOVED IT!! “Whooaaaa finished Offside last night. It’s over 350 pages I love a long novel. Gives me time to really get to know the characters. This one BLEW ME AWAY. I couldn’t stop reading yet I never wanted it to end. I swore I wouldn’t cry if it got sad, but it wrung those tears out along with the laughs and the cringes and the awwww moments. Totally captivating. Shay has outdone herself. Easy 5 stars. Up there with Beautiful Disaster. I don’t even want to start another book because I am loving having these characters on my mind and in my heart… As good as it is from the start, it just gets better and better and better…I think this one may reach Travis status for me.” <— WHOA. Okay then… 😉
- The Wild Side by R.K. Lilley <— I’m bringing this one back ’cause Michelle insists it’s unputdownable!! When we were contemplating our next read she said: “Well, you know what I’m going to say…. WILD SIDE baby…. come on!!! Wild Side is super short and then we can tease Maryse with Dair jokes….. please?” Did she *squirrel* with it? She said: “no way…. could not even blink for 4 hours straight……..” and “…big oomph and then some. It has that guy, that girl, that dialogue, that inner monologue, AND it ends up having that story that I connect with in a book. Believe me, it was a huge surprise for me… was not expecting that at all.” And Fabi agrees: “You really gotta read all three. But they’re short so I finished them in about a day or two. The ending is super and even though I had it figured out I still aaahhhh and oooohed at the end.“
- Missing You by Harlan Coben <— Okay not bargain priced (not by a long shot!) but READER-recommended and I think it looks good! Lee says: “Must read Missing You by Harlan Coben, not our usual Maryse genre, but it did have some romance and was one of the best books I’ve read in a very long time.” Okay from the blurb: “It’s a profile, like all the others on the online dating site. But as NYPD Detective Kat Donovan focuses on the accompanying picture, she feels her whole world explode, as emotions she’s ignored for decades come crashing down on her. Staring back at her is her ex-fiancé Jeff, the man who shattered her heart—and who she hasn’t seen in 18 years.” and then… “...when she reaches out to the man in the profile, her reawakened hope quickly darkens into suspicion and then terror as an unspeakable conspiracy comes to light, in which monsters prey upon the most vulnerable.” <— WHOA!!!!
- Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley <— An oldie but HUGE favorite amongst our reading crew. In fact, Melanie just discovered it! “Where oh where have I been!?! I travel a lot so I catch up on some of my TBR list with Audiobooks for the 5 hour drive. I’ve had Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley on my IPAD for while now , and said what the heck, let’s try this one. Oh my….. I have totally been missing out. I don’t know why I was so surprised with how good it was, it is Kristen Ashley after all. I could not stop laughing. I was actually upset I got to my destination within 5 hours since the Audiobook was over 10 hours . If you haven’t read it, don’t make the mistake I did by putting it off.” 😀
- SPIRAL (The Indigo Lounge Series Book 3) by Zara Cox <— Stephanie found us this deal! She says: “The conclusion, Book #4, is expected to be released next month, Sept. 2014.”
- Tumbleweed by Julia Bramer <— Stephanie found us this deal too!! She said: “High Ratings/Reviews for this gritty story that’s dark and disturbing in parts…” Oh yeah? Lemme check out that blurb!! Oh. Whoa. EEEEEP!! “Unable to cope with the loss of her first love, a charming and seductive Spanish soccer player, beautiful, headstrong Haley Hanson abandons love entirely. She seeks solace in the arms of strangers and fame, a tumbleweed rolling where the gusts of wind carry her, and she lands between a garbage bin of rotting food and a brick wall. Stuck in limbo and near death.” Oh wow, okay i see where this is going, I think. She ends up in Egypt with two male cousins (and this is unacceptable in their culture, and they are caught…)… “I couldn’t stop and couldn’t go back, a dark and insatiable impulse propelling me forward and driving me into the arms of strangers like the Mohammeds and into the sweltering barren desert.”
- Just…Breathe: The Love they had always wanted and now try to fight (The Broken Series Book 1) by Angela Fattig <— Debbie was asking about a book yesterday (looking for which one it was, and it ended up being this one!). She asked: ” I saw a summary of a book yesterday and I thought I bought it.. but I didn’t… and now I can’t find it.. It 4 people sit down at dinner and two are introduced.. the guys tells his friend this is the b*tch I was telling you about before.. and the girls says to her friend, this is the prick I was telling you about. and he accuses her of being a gold digger… help please!!” And then she got back to us and said: “Just bought it..it will be my weekend read” <— Yep. Keep us posted Debbie. I’m curious!! 😀
- Degradation by Stylo Fantôme <— Lori recommends it!! She says: “This one I went in blind, and I loved it!! They’re both messed up, it’s out of control, there’s lots of angry sex and dirty talking… I cannot wait for the second! yes it has a cliffy but it’s worth it!” <— Blind, you say? Ohhhh tempting!!!
- Love, Tussles, and Takedowns (Cactus Creek Book 3) by Violet Duke <— Stephanie found us this one “After his combat injuries retire him from the military career he wasn’t ready to give up, battle-scarred Hudson Reyes now spends his new life as a movie industry fight scene and weapons specialist simply doing what he knows best: surviving. Until he meets her. The one woman who makes him want to live again.” * * * SPECIAL EDITION SALE: Through August, a portion of ALL proceeds from the sale of this limited time special edition cover will go to the WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT * * *
- Don’t Let Go by Sharla Lovelace <— I’m bringing this one back ’cause Debbie loved it! “I just read Don’t Let Go by Sharla Lovelace. It’s second-chance story filled with genuine emotion, and I was impressed how the author wove in the back story. She managed to balance humor with regret. 4.5-5 stars.”
- Dust to Dust (Experiment in Terror #9) by Karina Halle <— This is one of my all time favorite series in the world. Here is the series reading order and they must be read in order, but the series is complete now, so YAY YOU!!!
- Every Sunset Forever (Hyena Heat Book 3) by R. E. Butler
- Guardian: Book 6.5 (A Rylee Adamson Novella) by Shannon Mayer
- Cursed Moon (Prospero’s War) by Jaye Wells
- Beyond Addiction (Beyond, Book #5) by Kit Rocha <—Here is the Beyond Series Reading Order. Book 1 is intense and steamy (and kind of scary – great story!). Here is my review of book #1: Beyond Shame.
- Collin (A Forever Trilogy Novel, #5) by Sandi Lynn <— here is the Forever Trilogy Reading Order
- Captured by Jasinda Wilder <— *blurb jolt* !!! I wanna read this one bad. “I married a Marine. I knew the risks. Every time my husband shipped out, I knew there was a chance he wouldn’t come back. But Thomas always did. Always. Then one day two officers in full dress uniform knocked on my door and shattered my world.” and Bethan recommends it saying “Really enjoyed it”
- Show Me, Baby: A Masters of the Shadowlands Novella (1001 Dark Nights) by Cherise Sinclair <— I really enjoy this BDSM club series! 😀 Here is the Masters of the Shadowlands Series Reading Order
- Liar: The Scarab Beetle Series: #2 (The Academy) by C.L. Stone
- Incandescent: Knights Rebels MC by River Savage <— BIKER BOOK ALERT! “Kadence Turner has no business lusting over a student’s father, especially the president of the Knights Rebels MC. Nix is crass, obnoxious and dangerously sexy and for some reason, Kadence can’t seem to hate him for it…“
- Elicit (Eagle Elite Book 4) by Rachel Van Dyken
- American Honey by Heidi McLaughlin, Megan Smith, Carey Heywood, Ashley Johnson, Marissa Carmel, Jennifer Foor, Melissa Collins, HJ Bellus, Chelsea Landon, Scarlett Metal
- Indestructible (Harmony Book 3) by Angela Graham
- Elicit (Eagle Elite Book 4) by Rachel Van Dyken <— MAFIA ALERT (although I’m hearing older YA). Here’s the Eagle Elite Series Reading Order.
- This Sky by Autumn Doughton <— Sexy bartender alert! “…nothing could have prepared her for the chaos that unfolded when her celebrity boyfriend publicly humiliated her. Now the fairytale is officially over and Gemma is determined to put the past behind her and strike out to find a new dream. Just a few teeny-tiny details to work out: she’s currently broke, homeless and unemployed.“
- Whatever It Takes: Part Three: A Trust No One Novel by Dixie Lee Brown <— going undercover as husband and wife (The third and final installment).
- Sinful Rewards 2: A Billionaires and Bikers Novella by Cynthia Sax <— looks like a steamy serial series.
- Taken by Tuesday (Weekday Brides Series) by Catherine Bybee
- Hard Knox: The Outsider Chronicles by Nicole Williams <— can be read as a standalone. He’s a bad-boy player in college and she’s and “up-and-coming writer for Sinclair University’s newspaper”. She doesn’t like him much… 😉
- Undone by Maya Banks <— Ohhh I like the sound of this one!!! “When an unplanned evening of passion with Cameron Hollingsworth results in unplanned pregnancy, Pippa Laingley’s at a crossroads. She knew going in that the enigmatic entrepreneur had built a fortress around his feelings. What she’s just discovered is that he’s loved and lost before—his wife and child. Tragically.“
- What Might Have Been by Matt Dunn <— “A year ago, Evan and Sarah shared one incredible night. Then Evan’s music—the thing that brought them together—suddenly tore them apart.”
- Whatever It Takes: A Trust No One Novel by Dixie Lee Brown
- On Her Knees (The Office Slave Book 3) by Opal Carew
- Only You (A Sweet Torment Novel) by Joya Ryan <— she just lost a coveted job, drowns her sorrows at a bar and… “a smoldering, sensual attraction soon erupts between her and a deliciously sexy deliveryman, leading to a red-hot encounter in a bar bathroom. Little does Paige know that the deliveryman is actually Leo Savas, a shipping magnate as powerful in the boardroom as he is in the bedroom.“
- Possession (Year of Fire) by Florencia Bonelli
- Return to Sender (Invitation To Eden) by Steena Holmes
- The Right Touch by Lindsay McKenna
- Sexy SEAL Box Set: A SEAL’s Seduction\A SEAL’s Surrender\A SEAL’s Salvation\A SEAL’s Kiss by Tawny Weber
- The Shopaholic Series 6-Book Bundle: Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Shopaholic & Sister, Shopaholic & Baby, Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
- His Trouble in Tallulah (In the Line of Duty) by Cathryn Fox <— Brother’s best friend!! “Since they’re headed to the same wedding, he finds himself agreeing to step into the role of adoring fiancé. In real life, she’s his comrade’s kid sister, so it’s hands off all the way.“
- Hungry for More: Romantic Fantasies for Women by Rachel Kramer Bussel
- Living in Shadow (Living In…) by Jackie Ashenden <— STUDENT-TEACHER ALERT!! “Law professor Eleanor May is fine with taking over a class for a colleague on sabbatical. She’s not so fine with the hot student who’s always seated front and center.“
- Dylan’s Redemption: Book Three: The McBrides by Jennifer Ryan <— She flees her home without a trace and… “Eight years later, her father is dead, and Jessie reluctantly goes home—only to come face-to-face with the man who shattered her heart. A man who, for nearly a decade, believed she was dead. Dylan accepted the position as sheriff of Fallbrook looking for a fresh start and a chance to uncover the truth about Jessie’s disappearance. He knew he’d have to face a few ghosts … he just never thought one would be Jessie, all grown up, stunning … and alive.”
- Getting Off (Cosmo Red-Hot Reads from Harlequin) by Abby Green <— hehe. This one sounds fun! “…even with motorbike-riding sex god Liam, old habits die hard, and yet again she has to fake it. Only he notices—and is not happy! Could things get any worse? Well, yes, when Liam becomes her new boss.“
- Gutta Mamis by N’Tyse
- Celtic Love Knot (Choc Lit) by Angela Britnell
- Dare to Love by Lindsay McKenna <— KIDNAP ALERT! (although I don’t think it’s as dark as some of our other ones… 😉 Okay, so he kidnaps her (mistaken identity) but… “Kai didn’t even want to run from Matt. His eyes told her intimate secrets, and his embrace was passionate and true. She longed to believe in him, because within twenty-four hours she’d learned to want him forever…“
- Dream Shard by Mary Wine <— She finds him floating in the water… and helps him “…as Devon’s memories gradually return, he remembers why he can never love again. He is an operative for an elite Army Ranger unit and his life is too dangerous. Particularly now that unscrupulous people know who he is.“
- Dying Commitment (Lucky Thirteen Book 3) by S.M. Butler
- Breaking All Her Rules (Cosmo Red-Hot Reads from Harlequin) by Maisey Yates
- Losing Me Finding You by Natalie Ward <— Niki just found us this new release!! “I think my next book will be Finding Me Losing You by Natalie Ward. Just released and sounds awesome!!!” Oh wowwwwww it does sound good!!! Sounds CRAZY!!!!
“When I wake up on this day, I’m in a different city, with a different life and no memory of the lives I had before this one. Today is the tenth time this has happened to me. The tenth time I’ve had to figure out where the hell I am. The tenth time I’ve had to try and work out who the hell I am. This is the tenth alteration of the person I am. Each of us has had different lives, different backgrounds and different families. But there’s always been one constant.
He’s the reason I keep doing this. He’s the reason I spend four years searching. If I’m lucky, I’ll get the trigger and find him quickly and we can spend those four years together before I disappear again. If I’m not, we might get a year, a month or even just a day. Once we got nothing, but that was a choice.
And every time it happens, he patiently waits for me. He says that every time I come back to him, it’s like falling in love with me all over again. I say that every time I come back, I fall even more in love with him than before.
It scares me that one day I won’t be able to find him at all, because when that day comes, I’m not sure I’ll want to keep going. He is my strength, my protector, my one and only constant.
- Bouquet of Love, A (Weddings by Design Book #4): A Novel by Janice Thompson
- Committed: Drug of Desire by Sidney Bristol
- Skin to Skin: Skin Deep #3 by J.M Stone <— I think these must be read in order… (thanks Lori!!)
The Beyond Series is a filthy little secret everyone should indulge in just once. Post Apocalyptic world where sex is about the only thing that survived it seems like. It was almost too dirty, even for me… and that’s saying something! I got to book 3. have book 4 on my Kindle. Have to be in the right mood for that little dittie.
LOVING Offside by Shay Savage – for some reason her very anti-hero types just click with me. Bastards! But I go back for more….
And How to Kill a Rockstar – one of those rare few books where you know you’ll remember the details. Many books evoke feelings… but few make me remember nearly everything. This was one of those.
Over and out…. (heehee)
J. M. Stone’s Skin Deep 3, Skin to Skin, was just released.
Thank you Lori!! 😀
OMG. Yay. You put Wild Side on the list. Happy dance!! So here’s why you need to read it: it caught my attention when it was released and you had it on your list back in May. But, I saw it was a novella, so I passed. Then a few weeks ago someone mentioned that book 3, the final installment, was out, so I took a chance. Whoa! That’s all I can say. Loved everything about it. Is it “Hopeless” where your world is rocked? No. But it is still so memorable because it is way better than it should be based on the plot. He is so so yummy I can’t even describe him. And she is so so wild and wicked. And then, low and behold… there’s a story in there too? A total surprise. One of my summer of 2014 faves. Hope you try it out.
Okay! I’m starting it tonight!! 😀
After my love for “Ugly Love” it’s been a bit of an iffy reading week for me. Finished one out of 4 and it was about a 3.5 star…
So I’m excited!
Okay Maryse ~ I downloaded “How to Kill a Rockstar” but now am scared to read it!! Not sure I can take anything too sad right now so PLEASE tell me that there is at least a HEA (without spoilers of course). My son was giving me a really hard time because I kept Googling it trying to find out so I wouldn’t be too traumatized 😛
It’s that perfect book to read in between the really heavy ones. And since you went all Elloras’s Cave on us with that cougar one I figured maybe you’re finally in the right mood for Dair and his ramblings about how he is way way too old for her.
I wish I had something like How to Kill a Rockstar to recommend to you. This is a very one-sided relationship we have. You give. I take.
Ashley – read it. No worries. Can’t say too much. No more googling.
Ashley… you know me. I’ll never announce *if* there’s an HEA in a book ’cause that will take away from the impact of the events in the book leading to the end.
It must be experienced blindly to love it properly.
BUT! I must insist. Trust me that you’ll love it. 😀
I’m 70% in reading How To Kill a Rock Star and loving it. Go for it Ashley. You won’t be sorry.
“I’m thinking this is Michelle’s all time favorite. At least… this year).” LOL. I am getting manic about it, aren’t I? Like I did with Fae Chronicles. Oh Lordy! Help me….
It’s not my favorite this year… it was just a total surprise. Like I said. My faves line up pretty much with yours so far for 2014, because I steal all your recommendations! I just get excited when I have a 4.5-5 star one that you don’t have yet… like Rose Project and Wild Side. I get a little nutso. Forgive me.
I think my next book will be Finding Me Losing You by Natalie Ward. Just released and sounds awesome!!! Even though I haven’t read Opposition yet or Lead….
I’m reading degradation right now and really liking it; One Night: Promised was so good that it put me a definite book funk so I’m hoping finding me losing you takes me out of it!! Very unique sounding!
Ok this is actually a good list because nothing is making me squirrel. Some definitely look good, like the different life one. But not that need right now.
Still reading Offside, had a couple busy days with little reading time. Thomas can be hard at some points he reminded me too much of that type of person in high school. I am liking how he is with his Rumple though. And then the thoughts he had when he first meets one of her friends, just sweetness.
Offside was a brilliant emotional read for me. Couldn’t put it down. One of those reads you just have to finish look at the clock and it’s 4:00 am.!!! Shay Savage is ALWAYS a go to author for me.
Finding Me Losing You is next for me after Rockstar.
Hugzzz Linda. That one really did it for me too.
I think if all of us don’t read the Wild Side, Michelle will hunt is down!
Like you Maryse, I am a sucker for military men so I’m VERY interested in Captured!! But I swear I am going to read How to Kill a Rock Star 1st and then Wild Side and then Offsides and then Captured…..ugh! We’ll see if I stick to that order! Book dom??
No hunting down will happen because I AM TOTALLY HIGH ON LIFE today…. guess who’s the lucky girl that won the autographed ARC of Joanna Wylde’s Reapers #4….. OH YEAH…. that was me…. doing a version of Elaine’s dance from Seinfeld and Pee- Wee Herman dance right now in my living room (need to give you all a visual)… so be Wild, I won’t call Offsides on you… Rock on…. okay, I’m quitting now…. 🙂 🙂 🙂
Screw it. I have no TBR list this week after looking at the books above. Some of them kicked me in the gut from the blurb alone!! Except for Captured. Not going there. No way. Nope like the octopus. Just…no. But ya’ll have fun with that one! 😀
Okay, so I’m mentioning it again…Room 212. The blurb gives an okay description of it, but I can sum it up saying that she is rebellious and out for fun, he is goal oriented and has his life mapped out, and they both lie to themselves about what it is they want and what they can handle with where the relationship will lead…and we all know how that turns out.
Just get a sample of the book and read the prologue – that alone had my tummy twisting!
Show Me, Baby. *snort* You know I’m dying over that one. 😛
Congrats, Michelle!!! 😀
Amy I am sorry to hear about your pigeon. How nice that you tried to help him. Puddle Jumping was a sweet read. Lisa Kleypas historical books are some of my all time favorites. She can bring the angst but oh she brings the romance. Also, great dialogue that can make you laugh. I keep thinking of one that I seriously need to do a re read of to see if I still like it but it made me laugh was Katie Macalister’s Men in Kilts. Read it years ago and last few months keep mentioning it because it keeps popping into my head. One of those will I like it as much? It is a contemporary with a highland sheep farmer as the hero.
Fabi have you read Written in Blood by Anne Bishop? I saw that you like paranormal. I loved this book hard. But am always a little nervous when rec it cause is a little different. I’ve liked her past books but this one, well actually two because second is out, I can not get out of my head. Stayed up all night reading it and then again when I read it before the second came out.
I’m kind of banking on Room for You being a sweet read for after Offside. Not sure why I think it will be so we will see.
I’LL be your book Dom today, Jean!!!! 😉
OMG, and Getting Off… *snicker*
Thanks, Bev. I know it was just a wild bird but still…it cooed at me while I fed it so I was sad. *sigh*
Oh! On a lighter note and speaking of men in kilts…I saw a guy at the movie theater not long ago who was waaaaaaay over 6 feet and HUGE and bald and had biceps that were, like, the size of my waist…and he had a freaking gray kilt on!!! And he seemed like such a sweet guy from the brief time that we talked with him. That guy was rocking it!
Bev – since you like the men in kilts and historicals… did you ever read Paula Quinn’s Laird of the Mist series? That was my favorite. I used to be a huge fan of highland historical romance and that was a stand out. Also MacCoinnich Time Travel series. That, and Tapestry by Karen Ranney.
And for paranormals, I have so many I can’t even keep track. One of my all time favorites that no one else seemed to read was the Tairen Soul Series. My husband got a chuckle out of me calling him my Shei’tan and wanting him to call me Shei’tani.
All this talk of previous favorites makes me squirrely…. and sentimental… I’m with Amy now…. something sweet….. (I am SUCH a sucker).
Michelle I never heard of Paula Quinn I’ll look her up. I recently heard of Karen Ranney. I heard she writes more serious reads? Anyway she sounded good and I had made a note of her on one of my written lists of books.
Oh, got my love of the highlands from Julie Garwood way back in the day. Did you ever read those? They used to make me laugh and swoon.
Fabi, you were the one that mentioned writers, musicians, and athletes? Susan Elizabeth Phillips had some fun sports ones. Football and golf. I just saw mention of one and wanted to do a re read but library didn’t have the book anymore. It was Heaven Texas I believe. Anyway it was the one with Bobby Tom Denton. Loved his name and him.
Lol Matyse, I am on it! (No comments Amy)!
BevWritten in Blood by Anne Bishop rings a bell. I have to look in my libraries because I’ve either read it or have it in one of my TBR lists.
Michelle I guess I’m just going to have to copy and paste your entire post into my notepad because I loved and love time travel stories and don’t even get me started on highlanders.
I’m just past 15% on Rockstar. It hasn’t grabbed me yet. I actually fell asleep sitting on the couch. But it’s still early in the story and you guys leave me doubt it’s going to be a great one. I’m a little behind on sleep from Offside.
“Leave me NO doubt” ugh sorry for the typo
Fabi, MichelleS said the same thing… slowish start but like I told her…
Keep reading!!! There’s a reason we all love it so much. And Michelle came back and said the same. AWESOME book!
Thanks Maryse. No worries though, I wouldn’t dare give up on a highly recommended book this early.
Okay I’m reading wild thing #1. 😉
Maryse – I should have given you the same warning – kind of…. keep reading with Wild Side… it’s not a slow start…it’s uh… um… pretty much an X rated sex fest for about the first 50% – to set up the whole older man/younger woman obsession…. so, stick with it. besides, there are fringe benefits that your husband will appreciate…. I swear there is a story there.
Fighting Destiny by Amelia Hutchins – $0.99 sale!!
Also, Shattered by Tracey Wolff – $0.99 sale!! (2nd book in series I think)
No comments about what, Jean? *batting eyelashes* I just figured you got ahold of some salami when you said you were “on it.” 😛
Well the sweet-read mood didn’t last. But I’m keeping a list of all the recommendations for when it hits me again! Now on to Wild Thing…
BEV – yes, Julie Garwood and Hannah Howell and Michele Sinclair, Brisban, Spear, Maclean, Mayhue… if it had a guy in a kilt on the cover, I pretty much grabbed it off the library shelf! Sometimes I still sneak one in. Karen Ranney – yes and no… let’s just say they were more in depth and emotional (especially Tapestry – he comes back from war scarred and she is utterly unfazed by this… so moving… tearing up now). And agreed: I will always fall for a musician or writer in a book. Not so much with the military guys, which is why “Captured” isn’t grabbing my interest.
Did you finish Offside Maryse? It really does get crazy and shocking and horrifying and heartbreakingly good.
“I love one-nighters that turn into a big *oooops!*”
I’ll just bet you do, Maryse. *cackling*
Oh yay Amy – after Wild SIDE you can add popsicles to the salami nutella smorgasbord…..
Me too on the military thing Michelle. Although I do enjoy special forces especially when there is some PNR involved.
Woo-hoo!! That smorgasbord will be just in time for Rockstar! 😀
The scene we he just whips it out and she says… “That’s hot but can we kiss first?”
LOL!! Poor guy has no clue what to do with her. What a kick. I just read that scene to my husband and even he’s laughing.
LOL AMY!!!!!! I didn’t even see that coming.
And I’ll bet you’re having a heyday with that one, too. 😛
Fabi- just finished How To Kill a Rock Star. So wonderful.! Also just got Fighting Destiny for .99 cents. That may be next. For some reason I’m afraid it won’t meet my expectations after reading The Fever Series but I’ve read so many great books from all of the recommendations here I think I am being silly.
Tracy I’m not sure I can think of anything as good as the Fever series. A few come close. But when we are talking the league of Karen Marie Monning, J.R. Ward and Sherylin Kenyon, let’s just say the buck stops there.
Tracy – while I am probably THE biggest Fae Chronicles Cheerleader here, even I will admit it is no Fever series. But you know what Fae book comes close? Tairen Soul Series by CL Wilson. It is not urban fantasy, as it takes place in some other world/time…. but it was very well written. Dark and fantastical all at the same time. There are mages that are so evil I had nightmares! And the magic she creates was breathtaking. Totally worth the read.
I have to agree with Michelle S about the Beyond Series. It’s awesome! It’s unapologetically filthy but the gritty eroticism is totally appropriate for the stories. It’s an interesting post-apocalyptic backdrop that’s as violent and dangerous as you would imagine, especially for women. But the heroines in these stories are strong, sexy, and kick-ass! And the men are some seriously sexy hot alpha anti-hero types! The sex certainly pushes the limits, but it’s actually in context with the characters’ journeys. And women actually hold a pretty balanced power (in a weird kind of f***ed up way) in the scheme of things. Anything in this series is a one-click for me every time.
I don’t know what to start next! This was a good reading week for me – two 5 stars – Ugly Love and The Story of Me/Carnage #2. Maybe Wild Side. I read Offside when it was a fanfic story and liked it. I don’t think I’ve ever read Rock Chick either.
I haven’t read the Fever series guys. What am I missing? My phone died last night and I missed all your crazy comments! You all crack me up!
Oh and I am 15% into Rock Star and boss is out today…..yay…lol!
Jean really as soon as you can pickup the fever series. It is an experience. No better way to spend the rest of summer than at Barrons Books and Baubles.
Julie Denver and Fortnums is an amazing destination too. Go hang with the Rock Chicks and Hot Bunch. Do you like cats?
Thanks Bev! I will definitely be looking into it since I just finished the Fae Chronicles last weekend! Does anyone know when the next Fae book comes out?
I’n still trying to finish This Man. I did squirrel yesterday and read The Hot Corner by Amy Noelle. REALLY good story about baseball star. So if you like sports-star stories I would recommend this one.
This list doesn’t have me major squirrelling. I like Captured, Offside (think that’s my next read), Missing You (gonna wait for that to go on sale), Tumbleweed (hmmm), Losing Me Finding You (definitely sounds like a different story); but the one that grabs me the most is Just Breath, but I’m NOT going to start another unfinished series!!!
Amy- sorry about the pigeon. 🙁 Michelle- congrats!
Well now I have even more to add to my reading lists. The anticipation of reading all of these great recommendations has my stomach in knots.
Jean – I totally agree with Bev. The Fever series is just fantastic!
Ladies ~ I just finished the Accidentally on Purpose series and it was great! It definitely takes you for a roller coaster ride! I recommend it to anyone who hasn’t read it yet. NOW, I am going to stick with my 30 books on my TBR read list and NOT (i’m not, not, not) going to one-click another book for at least a week! Send the book dom pronto 🙂
How can I *not* have fun with that one, Maryse? *snicker*
From Wild Side: “I wasn’t that creative in bed…so I just started e***ing her out again” <—– Aw, sounds like someone needs his manatee snuggled. *snicker*
Yay, Ashley! I’ve been touting that series for a while. I didn’t want to read the second book because of who was in it (don’t say who that is so it doesn’t spoil the first book for anyone! 😉 ), but I was *floored* by how much I ended up feeling for that character!
Jean, are we reading the Fever series soon? I think we are. 😀 It’s been cloudy and drizzly here which makes me want to read PNR. Don’t ask me why that happens ’cause I have no idea, but…there it is. *giggle*
Amy you too? Oh jealous you ladies have this great read in front of you. I honestly think it is a great book for fall or winter like weather. I think because when you read about Barrons Books And Baubles it feels like you are there and that place is perfect for that type of weather.
Yes Amy, I want too start the Fever series SOON! After I finish How to Kill a Rock Star, Wild Side, and Offsides (and anything else that might come up)!
I am only 20% into Rock Star… but anxious as hell with anticipation!
Jean, I just have to finish books 2 and 3 of the Fae Chronicles then I’ll be ready to move on to the Fever series. I’m excited about starting Rock Star after Wild Side with all of the comments I’m seeing about it!
Sounds perfect, Bev! 🙂
Oh wow…I think I’m going to pull a Michelle and print these to take with me the next time we have a girls’ night. If I thought I could handle it I would probably try all of them in one night!! Check. Out. The. Ingredients. YUM!!!
See?? There is “fairy” in the description so I’m still sticking to the topic of fairies!! *pbltttt* 😛
Um, the Fever series is 7 books? Wow, now that’s a marathon reading session.
I read somewhere Fall for next Fae book.
Cheryl – The actual Fever series is just the first 5 books – the last one (book 6) is kind of a continuation / spinoff telling a different characters story. It is also, in my opinion, almost purely urban fantasy, not PNR. She left romance behind after her Highlander series, which is just too yummy for words. Hope you read those! Oh…. Adam Black….. and the MacKeltars! Be still my heart.
Those drinks are pretty. But the lion king one with Bailey’s and Kaluha, yum.
Cheryl the romance is definitely a slow burn in the fever series. I love that about them. I think they are the types of books that you become so immersed in the world they create you want them to go on even longer.
Bev – that’s exactly how I felt after I read the Tairen Soul series – didn’t want it to end. Turned right around and re-read it! I read it after Fever series because I was addicted to the Fae by then. It’s as beautiful as it is ugly. Unbelievable world building. Secondary characters that you love and hate that stick with you. Years later I still haven’t found much to top it. I remember everything… names and plots and twists and turns. Couldn’t get enough. I know this is like the third time I mentioned it in just this thread, but you guys are talking about Fever series and what could come close – that was it for me. A distant second would be The Knights of the Black Swan series – although that is PNR to me…. getting me in the mood for some PNR or urban fantasy you guys!!!
Michelle I’ve never read those. I have so may unread or partly read series floating around between dreaded and used pb. Well at least the first in the series. I’m reading Shadow of Night right now. And it is nice to step out of the contemporary especially na contemp for a bit.
A few of the series I want to start are the Kate Daniels one, EIT, Downsider,and Kim Harrison’s series.
Reading the Wild Side series in the setting of Vegas is making me wish I could experience Tristan and Danika for the first time all over again. *sigh* Still love those two.
I finished Offside by Shay Savage last night (finally). It was good. The second half of the book didn’t match the first half. I liked his intensity. I liked that it was written from his POV (she seems to like to write from male leads POV). It had the big, huge “oh no” that comes along with the YA/NA kind of book. But I never cried or laughed out loud. It had the epilogue that I like in my stories. I don’t know…. it just wasn’t as good as I thought it was going to be! Maybe my expectations for this author were too high??? I will give it 4 stars, just so Fabi doesn’t ditch me!!!! No I am going to read Dark Skye and blow my whole TBR list up. I couldn’t resist all the reviews on amazon that said it was one of the best Immortals After Dark yet. We’ll see……
Losing me Finding you…SOOO good! You need to definitely move this to the top of your reading list! It’s a for sure re-read for me. LOVED it!!!
Oh Man. I just read the blurb for Losing Me Finding You. Sounds different. Interesting. Did I say different? because I feel like almost every book I read this summer was the same…. and this sounds different….. give me some more info (without spoilers). Angsty? Steamy? Sci-fi? Funny? I have no clue. Maybe that’s a good thing. (because my first thought was, maybe it’s like Regin and her Berserker in IAD).
Add it to the TBR list…… (ugh)
I just (cautiously) skimmed the reviews for LMFY, and it seems like it might have a Time Traveler’s Wife feel to it, not being paranormal or mystical or supernatural. It looks good!
Michelle & Amy, it does have somewhat of a Time Traveler’s Wife feel to it, but I felt it was better. Had some angst & pretty steamy but not quite erotica. It was just a really good read and I soooo highly recommend it!! Another great second chance one romance that I just read was Twice in a Lifetime by Ruthie Henrick. Funny and oh so good!
Squirreling again from reading This Man. Reading Offside. Does anyone else feels like this is like reading a Twilight fanfiction. Set in Oregon, h comes her senior year to live with her father, who is chief of police, H father is Chief of Surgery, H “protects” her in car lot, H sneaks into her room at night, both in biology class together… 😉
Oh. Em. Gee. Cheryl!!! hadn’t even thought of that. You are SO RIGHT!!! And her dad has a mustache!!! It’s even noted. Her mom is doing her own thing…. wait… I remember something about Florida? Ad I’ll say it again… This Man did not keep me… I paid for three books, read 1 1/2. have not returned to them. too 50-shades-ish for me.
I did finish This Man and will get to the second sometime soon. Hoping some of my questions will be answered but I have heard the pay off is in the third book. Not sure if will read it or not, I had already purchased the first two. I got a sample of her new book but have not read it yet, I wanted to see how her writing style may have changed since saw a couple good reviews. Too high of a price point for me though right now.
Cheryl didn’t think about the similarities, but have to say that Rumple and Thomas don’t annoy me like Bella and Edward. Especially Bella did.
I am having trouble with the Shakespeare quotes. I like them and think they do fit the situations but it seems awkward. Almost as if the fourth wall is being broke and he is talking to us. Takes me out of the story and kind of wish the second half fit better with the first. Saying all this I am enjoying it.
Is Offside an all-male POV? For whatever reason, male POVs don’t give me the same feels as female or dual POVs. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy them, and the rare ones (like Transcendence – loved it!) will really squeeze my heart, but for the most part I end up just reading and not feeling. Like with Wild Side…I really like the series, but I’m not feeling the angst or emotion that I think I would if it were a female or dual POV. Also the same with Chasing Nikki (YA that I read a couple of years ago). Oh, I fugly cried with that one – OMG did I ever cry! – but I didn’t have the emotional connection.
Make sense? Am I the only one who feels that way? *snort* Probably… 😉
Yes, offside was completely from his POV. And the Shakespeare got old quick (skimmed over most of them)… all I kept thinking was that the author had her handy-dandy Shakespeare quite book nearby, and when I feel an author intruding on the story I don’t like it. Like when Deborah Harkness went on and on and on about wine a yoga! Enough already!! But since the Rumple thing’s been put out there (I wasn’t saying it earlier – thought it was a spoiler?) – can I just say it was my favorite nickname ever! Added more points back to the story that Shakespeare took away.
Oh hope I didn’t spoil anything. I won’t say how she got the name. It is a great one. Some of the unique one just don’t sound right when Im reading them.
No wonder I thought Offside seemed like a Twilight fanfiction, it was:
Offside fanfiction Summary: Edward’s the star keeper for the Forks High School soccer team, and is already being scouted by leagues overseas. Bella’s just moved from Phoenix and interferes with his…focus. Soccerward lives.
I enjoyed Offside, but still looking for a book with “that” story that grabs me and has some “ooompf.”
Now to figure out what to read next… *looking between This Man and my TBR list…*sigh*
Cheryl – did you know that Shay Savage is author “Savage7289” on Goodreads? And that Offside is listed there, among others (including Transcendence) as her fan fiction? And now she is published? Wowza. Kinda cool, I guess. But I’d like to know up front if it is Twilight Fan Fiction. You are a clever clever girl to figure that out!
LOL Michelle. Didn’t know she was fanfiction author until Offside reminded me so much of Twilight fanfiction. There is even an Offsides outtake on her fanfiction site: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2229847/Savage7289.
Still debating on next book… sticking to TBR list… yes that’s what I’m doing….*side eyes book Dom while holding finger over one-click button…
Not sure where else to say this.
And Thank You for all the books and hours of happiness and fun I have found in them.
Hope you have a wonderful day.
Hey Maryse, I’m a big fan of your blog. Glad to hear about your birthday weekend 😉 Happy birthday!!! Hugs from Brazil.
Happy Birthday Maryse! I’d be lost without you! Enjoy!!!