This started out as a “we’re bored” let’s do a bookish quiz chat, and the answers were too amazing (and wide spread) that I knew I had to devote a post to it.
1.) Because I know that many here will relate to our favorites (or maybe hate a few of our favorites too). I love how a few of our #1 choices spurred chats about the “why” or the “why nots” of these heroes. There was some gasping in shock, that’s for sure, but we totally get each other. 😉
2.) Because I want to know YOUR favorites and why.
3.) Because this will help introduce us to new book-boyfriends to love, even though I have a feeling they’ve already been claimed. 😂
So here’s how it started (Tasha J was the quiz instigator).
Tasha J: I was thinking today though, ya know what would be fun? A quiz! Specifically a book boyfriend quiz. Like a would you rather type thing (nothing dirty). Or a character quiz in general. I’m down for either. Anyone wanna make it? 😂☺️
Maryse: LOL!! I love your quiz idea. bev… ohhhhhh bev!!!! You’re the awesome quiz creator. Any ideas what we could play?
Tasha J: I’m thinkin like Travis vs Kellan, Reyes Farrow vs Bones from the Nighthuntress series, etc.etc.
Maryse: Travis. Bones. Okay more questions. 😀
R. Renee: Yes! More questions, because neither on #1 and I don’t know #2! Maryse, you can have my Travis. 😂
Tasha J: *gasp* No Travis or Kellan?!? I may go with Kellan. I was hardcore Travis for a long time, but I think Kellan. And Reyes.
R. Renee: I think bev and I are probably in agreement on Kellan and I just couldn’t get behind Travis. I don’t remember why because I read it so long ago.
bev: 🤣🤣 I was good and refrained from my usual Kellan rant. I didnt read the Bones series beyond the first. I’ll say Travis, but……boy. I loved him at the time but now I do not have the energy for that many big emotions, lol.
Maryse: Thing is… as much as I LOVED Travis (and still do) as my favorite book boyfriend, there is no way in real life I could ever handle that kind of tumultuous relationship, and emotional range. I love being head-over-heels in love, but in a healthy, supportive… PEACEFUL way. Happiness with the occasional normal blip (because after all – we are our own people – even in a couple).
I could not deal with all sorts of jealousy and conditions and fits, and worries. GAH. I could not handle a “Travis” now in my life.
bev: Ooh I cant remember their names or the titles, LOL. But the island boys. The one from On the Island or from Shay Savages one?
R. Renee: Shay’s is Sebastian. He’s a big no for me, but On the Island?? Heck yes. Though I can’t remember his name. Love that the name I can’t remember is the yes!
Maryse: LOL!! Happens to me all the time. I am SO bad with character names (even right after I’ve read it and am writing the review – even if I loved it – I often have to double check). I think it’s because I’ve read SO many books over the years that my mind just refuses to retain all of the names. Stories yes. Authors yes. Character names… *poof*
And now I present to you…
OUR FAVORITE BOOK BOYFRIENDS in:
- Paranormal/fantasy series
- Contemporary romance
- Historical romance
P.S. Feel free to come up with your own category if there’s one here you can’t think of. I dropped one because I couldn’t think of a favorite character for it, and chose myself a new category to fit a character I can’t stop thinking about. 😉
Mony: Mony’s quick picks…BBFs 🙂 (I reserve the right to change my mind whenever I feel like it.) Hey, where do authors get all these names?
- Paranormal/fantasy – Trent in The Hollows series / Curran in Kate Daniels series
- Contemporary romance – Jack in Smooth Talking Stranger / Luke in Rock Chick Revenge
- Historical romance – Alec in The Bride
- Sports – Travis in Beautiful Disaster / Reese in Teardrop Shot
- Boss – Chase in Bossman
Mony: Of course, my list would have been different if I’d listed favourite dark broody guys like Barrons in PRN/UF… Can’t tell which kind I like better…🙂
Tasha J: I’m going to GR to look up Teardrop Shot. Ooooo boss…let me think on that. This is good. It’s hard to think of books that most everyone has read, so this might be better. I shall look at this more when I put the demons to rest.
bev: Oh, man. I remember when we all went crazy over Barrons. But then the series got to a point where it just didn’t work for me and I dropped it. But I remember how much we all wanted to hang out at Barron’s Books and Baubels.
Jan: bev those are my thoughts exactly.
- Paranormal/fantasy – Edward because that’s the only P/F I can think of offhand that I love!
- Contemporary romance – Darian was built to spec but if I can’t pick my own… 😂 Silas from Someday, Someday.
- Historical romance – I got nothing here!
- Sports – Ryan Wesley from HIM #swoon
- Boss – Does Ash from American Queen count?
Maryse: That’s so cool about your Darian. It’s the truth. Writer’s write what they love… WHO they love, so that makes the most sense that he’d be your first choice!!
Jan: Ooh, bbfs. I’ve got a few 🙂
- Paranormal: Charles in the Alpha and Omega series (Patricia Briggs). Hawke in Kiss of Snow (Nalini Singh)
- Contemporary: Hardy Cates in Blue-Eyed Devil (Lisa Kleypas). Ha ha. Same series as Mony, different book. I liked Jack too though, mony. Candyman in Tastes Like Candy by Lauren Gilley. Chris Scaife in the Commitment Series (Nia Forrester). And of course Will from Beautiful Player (Christina Lauren).
- Historical romance: Luke from Heartless by Mary Balogh. Wulfric from Slightly Dangerous, same author. Sebastian in Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas. And his son Gabriel in Devil in Spring. Is that weird? LOL. Rhys Winterborne in Marrying Winterborne. Devon Ravenel in Cold-Hearted Rake, Someone stop me now…….
- Sports: Mark Bressler from Nothing But Trouble by Rachel Gibson. I’m sure there are more I can’t recall at the moment.
Tasha J: This was harder than I thought. I backtracked through so much and changed my mind from what I’m sure I would’ve answered 5+ years ago. Also, I’ve not swooned enough in recent years.
- Paranormal/fantasy – Dex Foray (Experiment in Terror series)
- Contemporary romance – Dan Smith (A is for Alpha Male)
- Historical romance – John Lowry (Carry the Wind)
- Sports – Reiner Kulti (Kulti)
- Boss – Solomon (Lexi Graves series)
- Bully- Mason (Tijan’s Fallen Crest series)
Tasha J: I think I got old and boring. I was thinking of Rowan from Throne of Glass series or Jared from Jamie McGuires Providence series. Maybe for contemporary Andrew from The Edge of Never. Boss was hard too, cuz I’m the boss. 😂
Maryse: Here are my favorite book boyfriends
- Paranormal/fantasy – Zsadist from Black Dagger Brotherhood or Eric Northman (True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse series)
- Contemporary romance – Hawk from “Mystery Man”
- Historical romance – Jamie from Outlander
- Sports – Travis from Beautiful Disaster (and he’s pretty much my #1 all around however equal to Zsadist)
- Bully – Barrons (The Fever series – he was the ultimate bully and holy moly did I crush in his moment of emotional loving weakness).
I took off Boss and went for:
- Nerdy crush – The main character (Mark Watney) in “The Martian” AND the author (Andy Weir) of it, too! Holy moly – not romance but I crushed SO hard on both of them through that whole book. So clever, hilarious and excitingly scary!! 😂