UPDATED MAY 12th 2020!!!
MUCH LOVED VAMPIRE SERIES/HUGE LOVE TRIANGLE ALERT!! This was one of the very first that I read, back in 2009 when I fell head over heels with Twilight and wanted to read more angsty vampire love stories like it! I wanted that feeling back and this one worked for me, big time (at least the few books). I haven’t read the others yet.
Molly: I got into the Vampire Diaries series, and was not disappointed!! I am turning 48 it his month and I am not ashamed to admit that I love these books!!
Tanya: I am so surprised so many people started reading PNR and vampire ones in general because of Twilight being their first taste of it. I will say the original teen love triangle was the Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith that came out way before Twilight ever was thought of.
Vampire Diaries is good and Damon in the book mmm delicious (Ian definitely makes him even more so) however they’re juvenile/teen (and not like the TV series, it doesn’t follow the books) compared to what is out there nowadays but to me will always be better than Twilight. Vampire Diaries was what made bad boy vampires with hearts of gold my favorite thing in a paranormal series…
Niyati: Vampire Diaries… thats a very passionate series which combines love, friendship, action, mystery and all emotions in one series.
About book #1:
The first book in L.J. Smith’s New York Times bestselling Vampire Diaries series, the basis of the hit CW TV show starring Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, and Ian Somerhalder.
Elena Gilbert is a high school golden girl, used to getting what she wants. And who she wants. But when the boy she’s set her sights on—the handsome and haunted Stefan—isn’t interested, she’s confused. She could never know the real reason Stefan is struggling to resist her:
Stefan is a vampire, and Elena’s in danger just by being around him. What’s more, Stefan’s dark, dangerous vampire brother Damon has just arrived in town. And wherever Damon goes, trouble always follows.
Fans of The Vampire Diaries TV show will find this book packed with the same kind of heart-stopping suspense, fierce romances, and jaw-dropping surprises that they know and love, all brought to life by New York Times bestselling author L.J. Smith.
SERIES READING ORDER (by order of original publication date):
The original start of the series written by author L.J. Smith directly. Per L.J. Smith’s Goodreads page: L. J. Smith wrote books 1-7 of The Vampire Diaries series. After that, a ghostwriter took over the rest of the series.
- The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening
- The Vampire Diaries: The Struggle: 2
- The Vampire Diaries: The Fury
- The Vampire Diaries: Dark Reunion
- The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Nightfall
- The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Shadow Souls
- The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight
The official series (per the publisher of the original books and these below, continues after “The Return: Midnight“) continues below – written by an LJ Smith ghostwriter to coincide with the TV series:
NOTE: …L. J. did not write any of the Originals or Stefan’s Diaries. These were written by Kevin Williamson and/or various ghostwriters.
- The Vampire Diaries: Stefan’s Diaries #1: Origins (Vampire Diaires- Stefan’s Diaries)
- The Vampire Diaries: Stefan’s Diaries #2: Bloodlust (Vampire Diaires- Stefan’s Diaries)
- The Vampire Diaries: Stefan’s Diaries #3: The Craving (Vampire Diaires- Stefan’s Diaries)
- The Vampire Diaries: Stefan’s Diaries #4: The Ripper (Vampire Diaires- Stefan’s Diaries)
- The Vampire Diaries: Stefan’s Diaries #5: The Asylum
- The Vampire Diaries: Stefan’s Diaries #6: The Compelled (Vampire Diaires- Stefan’s Diaries)
- The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters: Phantom
- The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters: Moonsong
- The Vampire Diaries: The Hunters: Destiny Rising
- The Salvation: Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation Book 1)
- The Salvation: Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation Book 2)
- The Salvation: Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation Book 3)
PS: Here are my reviews of the first books in the series written by author LJ Smith:
- Book Review – Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle
- Book Review – Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion
- Book Review – Vampire Diaries: The Return: Nightfall
The original author (LJ Smith) DID continue her vision of the series via “fan fiction” a few years ago, however I can no longer find these stories on line to link to.
If you wanted to continue on with the original author’s book vision of this story, she used to have her “fanfic” “…based on The Vampire Diaries book series—also by L. J. Smith—and takes place after the volume Midnight” posted on Amazon – however it’s gone for now. If these go back up, I will link them.
The author LJ Smith says:
“This means that I can continue to write my version of The Vampire Diaries. (Remember, these books are written as fan fiction and are not part of the official series.)
The Evensong arc will pick up more or less where Midnight left off and takes place in an alternate world from the official books that follow Midnight. The three books in this arc are Paradise Lost, The War of Roses, and Into the Wood.”
- The Vampire Diaries: Evensong: Paradise Lost
- The War of Roses
- Into the Wood