Happy Friday the 13th!!! It’s the perfect day for a romance read… and maybe even a dark read. I’d say dark romance, but er… those aren’t quite romance, now are they? So let’s just say… dark psychological thriller anti-love story. More like Stockholm syndrome. *eeeep!*
Ahhhh well. You get the picture. It involves “feelings” and scary, and it’s Friday the 13th and I’m feelin‘ scary! 😉
But!!! If you’re not in the mood for “dark” there are plenty of brand spankin’ new “sweets” and a few seriously bad-boy dirty mouths, “Bossy McAlphaPants” (<— *tee hee!!*), sports stars, and tumultuous marriages to choose from below. I’m titillated!!
Which ones are titillating me the most? Letters Home (that one up there to the left, ’cause he enlists in the army right out of college and she’s all alone… and then something happens? <– GAH! These are already so angsty right from the start with that heart wrenching long-distance love, laden in danger and loneliness). I can’t resist these. Target This (’cause that kidnappy sounding blurb made me *eeeeeep* with a serious blurb-jolt). Choose Us (best friend/unrequited love theme… also irresistible to me), For All You Have Left (loved this author’s other book, Butterfly Weeds – really tugged at my heart, so you can bet I’m curious to try this one!), My Skylar (’cause I really enjoyed #1, and many loved #2 even more, and this #3 already had a “can’t put it down” recommendation)…
But first, I’m finishing what I’ve started (and happy to be reading it!). What I’m reading now? Checked Again (Checked Series Book 2)! Yep, I couldn’t help but continue on to this next one in the series, since I enjoyed #1 so much. I’m about half way through, and while I’m not as “freaked out” as I was with #1 just yet (’cause #1 had that whole “outside world/dealing with new people” dynamic that kept throwing monkey wrenches in her severely-OCD life), this one so far has been a steady-stream of in her head, in her surroundings (but still good). And… I just know we’re heading for a sort of absolute disaster (we’ve already had a few) so I can’t wait to see what’s coming!
P.S. Let me know if I’m missing any or if you loved any (from this list or elsewhere).
P.P.S. Don’t have a Kindle? No problem! Amazon offers various free Kindle apps and a free Kindle Cloud reader for any and ALL of us to use. You can either use the free Kindle App for your smartphone, tablet, AND your desktop computer (just like you’re using a Kindle, but right through your web browser <— No need to download anything! )
NOTE: bargain priced when I added them, but prices can change on Amazon, so make sure to check before you finalize your order.
Todays latest reader recommendations and bargain ebook finds:
- Mine to Steal (Mine to Love Book 2) by T.K. Rapp <— JUST RELEASED!!! Jennifer says: “Mine to Steal by Author T.K. Rapp went live today. She wrote Mine to Lose.” and Jenny says: “Mine to Steal is Trey’s story, and I loved it!!”
- Target This by Lily White <— JUST RELEASED and VERY DARK. Not that I’ve read this one, or anything (yet) but I read another from her repertoire and WHOA!!! So for those of you that like your reads with a huge scary side of BAD EVIL MAN darkness (Stockholm syndrome etc…)… this just might be for you! 😉 Sally says: “…if you enjoy a GREAT mind f**k (whoops) book like I do pick this bad boy up” and Michelle agrees: “I have read it ~ Another 5* read. Love this dark thriller read”
“It was a fateful movement of wood that collided with the shoulder of a man that would alter my very existence. It wasn’t fear that I felt at that moment – more like the feeling of being watched. It was the feeling of knowing that danger lurks – the sensation of the hair standing on end at the back of your neck.Looking back on a moment that happened so many months ago, I now realize that I should have listened to that feeling.As I would later find out, the man standing in front of me referred to himself as Master Lucas……and I was his next target.” <—- EEEEEEEEEP!!!!
- My Skylar by Penelope Ward <— JUST RELEASED!! Book #3 in a popular new adult series (I read the first one and it had quite a twist!!) and Dina says: “OMG “My Skylar ” is AMAZINGGGGGGGG I cant put it down! Ahhhhh READ IT:)“. 😀 I don’t doubt it!! Here is the Gemini Series Reading Order
- Angel’s Halo: Entangled (Angel’s Halo MC Book 2) by Terri Anne Browning <— BIKER BOOK ALERT! JUST RELEASED!!
- Kiss Me Like This: The Morrisons (New Adult Contemporary Romance) by Bella Andre <— JUST RELEASED!! From the blurb he’s a college baseball star, and she’s a famous model (trying to live a normal “college life”) and “… when the pressures of her high-profile modeling career only get bigger and more demanding, will it make living a normal life as a college student–and falling in love with the hottest guy on campus–impossible?“
- Encore (Book 3 of The Back-Up Series) by A.M. Madden <— JUST RELEASED!! I think this is a rock star series!!! I won’t read the blurb in case in messes with my “spoiler-issues” but it’s book #3 for those that have been following along. 😀
- Urban Love Prophecy by Jessica Ingro <— JUST RELEASED!! Hip-hop star! Lynette says: “just loved it to pieces! Phenomenal story. Excellent couple, I think you will really like this one.”
- The Seduction 2 (The Seduction Series) by Roxy Sloane <— JUST RELEASED it’s a short part of a serial series but OMG that blurb made me BLUSH!!! Talk about a dirty mouth. WHOA! 😉 (and here’s part 1: The Seduction)
- The Love Trials 2 by J.S. Cooper <— JUST RELEASED! (another short part of a serial series)…
- Letters Home by Rebecca Brooke <— RECENT RELEASE!! MILITARY ROMANCE!! I love these kinds of stories ’cause I just can’t imagine how badly “she” must miss “him” (and all that fear) Oh these kinds of stories are SO angsty right off the bat, if you ask me… “… she’d been floored when her boyfriend, Nate Lewis, enlisted during their sophomore year of college. At the time, she’d been concerned with what that meant for them as a couple, but in the years that followed, they’d learned to adapt to the logistics of an army relationship. But when life throws her a curve ball, how will she cope?“
- Devoured: Brides of the Kindred 11 by Evangeline Anderson <— RECENT RELEASE! Popular steamy-romance sci-fi series (here’s the series reading order).
- Falling for the Groomsman (a Wedding Dare Novel) (Entangled Brazen) by Diane Alberts <— RECENT RELEASE
- For All You Have Left by Laura Miller <— I really enjoyed this author’s book “Butterfly Weeds” (sweet, heartwarming and angsty *oomph* – here’s my 4.5 star review of Butterfly Weeds) so I’m VERY curious about this one. Thanks Kat!! (P.S. I don’t think the two books are related… both standalones, I believe.)
- Butterfly Weeds by Laura Miller <—- HEY!!! Great book! My 4.5 star review of Butterfly Weeds
- My Butterfly by Laura Miller <— and this follow up 😀
- Taming Blaze (Motorcycle Club Romance, New Adult Romance) (Inferno Motorcycle Club Book 1) by Sabrina Paige <— BIKER BOOK and it now includes part 2 of this story. She’s the daughter of a mob boss, and he’s the VP of an MC. “Dani’s stranded on the side of the road with no one to help her. Except Blaze. Blaze has been through hell and back. Raised by his junkie mom, the Inferno MC is the only real family he’s ever known. As their jaded Vice President, he’d do anything to protect the club.When fate throws them together, sparks fly. Their attraction is undeniable, but can this jaded and broken pair find happiness?“
- Interview with a Master by Jason Luke <— Kat found us this one.
- Bared: Club Sin by Stacey Kennedy <— Aimee recommends this one saying: “Just finished Bared: Club Sin by Stacey Kennedy. Could NOT put this down!! This is the second book in the series Club Sin and definitely not the last read for me. … akin to Dark Haven series by Cherise Sinclair, which has me hooked. … about an emotionally unavailable Master…” <— I like when they’re “emotionally unavailable”. In books. BOOKS. *tee hee!!* 😉
- So Much It Hurts: (So Much It Hurts Series, Book #1) by Melanie Dawn <— Mary Ann found us this and mentioned: “A friend read it and really love it…. ” Oh it does sound like it could be angsty. Married woman goes on vacation with the girls, and a rock star (that was someone from her past) notices her…
- Against All Odds by Angie McKeon <— Another recent release involving a saddddd event and a tumultuous marriage is on sale! (Thanks Stephanie!) I haven’t read it, but I hear it makes you wanna throw your e-reader. :D!! And cry, too. Julie recommends it: “Loved this one!!”
- The Off Series Boxed Set, Books 1-5, Off Sides, Off Limits, Off The Record, Off Course, Off Chance by Sawyer Bennett <— the series is bundled and on sale.
- Choose Us by Caylie Marcoe <— YAY ME!!!! BEST FRIENDS for years and I think she’s in love with him, (unrequited love?)!! I totally meant to one-click this one back in April when I stumbled upon it for my bargain list. Remember this one? It gave me a mini blurb jolt… “She would do anything for him, go anywhere for him…and she has, countless times. Except now. Now he’s asking for too much. Their friendship has reached a breaking point and she doesn’t know how to go back. But as Travis’ personal assistant, Riley spends her every waking moment by his side.“ Well… anyway. Guess what!?? 😀 MINE!!!! (P.S. It’s a Kindle “Countdown” deal which means it’s going off sale soon! Like in 12hrs per the countdown doohickey on Amazon, from the time I posted this). 😀 Thanks Stephanie!!!
- Good Girl (Blended) by Erica Chilson <— Niki recommends it! “This book by Erica Chilson totally does not get the praise and credit it deserves so I’m giving it a shout out. It’s a crazy, dark story of self-discovery and I never wanted it to end! Book 2, Widow, came out June 8th and I cannot wait to start it!!!“
- Widow (Blended Book 2) by Erica Chilson <— and here’s book #2!!!
- The Two Kings (Afterlife Saga Book 2) by Stephanie Hudson <— Alison recommends this one! “i’m rereading The Two Kings by Author Stephanie Hudson and felt the need to rave about how much i love this series, Stephanie weaves a story of love and hate good and evil wrapped in a world you want to dive in to,the men are hot the women stubborn everything you need in a great need oh and the passion is hot” and Belisha agrees: “Always love Afterlife! Nothing else compares”. So does Nikki: “I love afterlife saga by Stephanie it’s awesome and I miss Keira and Dominic Draven. I want the next book now.” (Here is the series reading order)
- Enticed (The Fullerton Family Saga Book 1) by Ginger Voight <— I’m a fan of this author’s other series, and Jenna loves this one! “I can’t believe my stroke of luck! I just finished reading another great series in a matter of weeks. Definitely needs to go to the top of TBR lists!” Here is The Fullerton Family Saga Series Reading
- Twist Me by Anna Zaires <— DARK READ ALERT! I read this one a few months ago (my review) and Alyssa just discovered it and is loving it! “Squirrel alert. Dark read??? Twist me by Anna Zaires… Started at 4. Almost done at 9:40. And I have a 5 year old… Can’t stop reading.”
- Wallbanger (The Cocktail Series) by Alice Clayton <— I 5-star LOVED this one, and it’s on sale today! (here’s my review of Wallbanger)
- Girl in Love (Kylie Ryans Book 3) by Caisey Quinn <— Kat found us this conclusion to a series today. (here is the Kylie Ryans Series Reading Order)
- Don’t Hate the Player…Hate the Game by Katie Ashley <— a recent release from Katie Ashley is on sale right now! From the blurb… Noah’s obnoxious partying best friend dies, and as they clean out his room… “…they find a ring, but not just any ring. Its half a carat of commitment in a platinum setting-proving even man whores have taste. After Jake’s mom pleads with Noah to find the girl who meant so much to Jake, Noah begins a modern day Grail quest to track the girl down.” Sounds good! (Thanks Stephanie!)
- Fourth Down by Kirsten DeMuzio – Stephanie found us this deal, too. From the blurb, he was a sports star college hero that had a life-altering issue (dashing his dreams), and she’s med student. And they become friends…
- Some Like It Royal (Going Royal) by Heather Long <— “Living out of a car and waiting tables to make ends meet is hardly the stuff of fairy tales. So when a gorgeous man approaches Alyx Dagmar with a wild story about her royal lineage and an even wilder proposition, the aspiring actress is sure he’s got the wrong woman.”
- Top Secret Twenty-One: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich <— expected release date June 17th 2014
- Wrecked by Emily Snow <— expected release date June 17th 2014
- Cowboy Take Me Away (Rough Riders) by Lorelei James <— expected release date June 17th 2014
- Better When He’s Bad (Welcome to the Point) by Jay Crownover <— expected release date June 17th 2014
- Breathe With Me (With Me In Seattle Book 7) by Kristin Proby <— expected release date June 24th 2014
I really enjoyed the Experiment in Terror series! Maybe that would be a good spooky-ish romantical read for today? Book #1 (Darkhouse) is free for kindle on Amazon right now!
Shawna I LOVE that series!!! 😀 *Dex* is one of my fav #1’s ever!
Loving all these $.99 deals! 🙂 Envisioning Hope from this week’s new release list got reduced to $.99 also. 54% in so far…
Oh, no. No, no, no, no. NO. I’m not going near Target This today. The last time I read one of her books (Courtesan), it messed me up something awful. I think I’m still traumatized. I’ll eventually read it – seeing as how I just one-clicked it 😉 – but not today. Nope. I’m sticking with Burned today!
Okay, the *perfect* way to hide book hangover eyes: Garnier Skin Renew roller with tint mixed with MAC Prep and Prime in Radiant Rose all around the eyes, then MAC Select Cover-Up over the dark circles. It only took trying about 20 different types of cover-up combinations, but this looks the most natural and is not cakey looking. Or maybe I’m the only one who has this first-world problem… 😉
And I’m dark circle queen… One time I walked into a convenience store and the guy behind the counter asked who punched me in the eyes. Gah! LOL!!! Eye opener for sure. 😉
Amy I need to try your combo-I definitely have book hangover eyes. Quite the cover up combination, and believe me I’ve tried a lot of different combos too. 😉
I read Choose Us when on bargain list before. It was good, although it didn’t have a long drawn out unrequited love, they still faced some “situations” on the bachelor reality show. Also read So Much it Hurts- angsty and there were tears!!
Butterfly Weeds caught my attention- guess that goes on my TBR after I finish Written In My Own Heart’s Blood and Reciprocity and about “50” others that have recently come out!!! Won’t be short of any summer reads!! 😉
Have you read Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill?? It was awesome, just awesome. It is soo much more than its synopsis. It has such a cool story and the writing is so good. Loved it.
Noticed Fourth Down is part of a series. Does anyone know if they are standalones or if they need to be read in order? I do love a good sports or rock star bad-boy!
I think they’re standalones, but I’m going to look into it further. A few of the blurbs from that series (or at least, it appears to be a series) had my attention.
LOL!! That’s freaking hilarious! And you know I’m only laughing because I’ve had my share of mishaps and embarrassments. 😉
I’m not kidding, Cheryl. That combo is great! I’ve tried so many different brands, and you really do get what you pay for. Can’t go wrong with MAC!
Alright, I’m starting Burned tonight and possibly Checked tomorrow…little confession here – I’m holding off and waiting for you to finish the sequel, Maryse, to see if it has a cliffhanger before I do start the series. So not in the mood to get pissed off at a book. 😛
I’m almost done (80% so I will tell you soon)… 😛
I am right at the end of Sweet Destruction. Maryse!!!! You must read. There is angst, angst, and more angst and it is SO good. I know in my heart of hearts you will 5 star it. Cole is my new favorite guy and I lOVE Travis ALOT.
Looks like Burned will be tonight for me too. Wasn’t sure what to start next but I like hearing other people are reading one at the same time. 🙂
I need a book rec!!! I have been reading way too many push-over heroines. I want to read something where the hero has to do a lot (I mean A LOT) of groveling to win her back. I don’t care if he messes up big time. I just want to read something with a strong heroine who doesn’t put up with any BS and makes the hero work for it!!! Maybe even flaunts a new man in his face!!! Anybody know a book like this?? Help!! Thanks 🙂
Mara… I’m certain you’ve read Sweet Dreams, right? I agree I’m DYING for a book like this. 😀
Thanks to whoever recommended Susan Fanetti’s series. Isaac is my first ever biker book boyfriend!! Am already starting book 3. The books have a Kristen Ashley vibe but with better writing and darker plotlines (sorry KA, love you anyway).
Thanks Sasha!!!! You just gave me an excited-to-read-this jolt!
Have you read the After Dark series by Kahlen Aymes? Wonderful storyline, suspenseful and great characters. Alex and Angel are smoking hot together. I loved both books so far and cannot wait for the next.
I found out from the author that Fourth Down can be read as a stand alone. Some of the characters from other books appear but each book is about a different couple. one clicked- on my ever growing TBR list!
Thanks Cheryl! I’ll go ahead and create a series order for it, and your note. *hug*
I’ve read Wallbanger by Alice Clayton in the past and loved it. It was fun, flirty…definitely spicy on the smut scale. It was an “up” read, and I hear there’s more of this series coming so I think I’m going to give it a reread.
Trying to pick one to start now… I just read Lily White’s The Good Girl, and it was very dark… loved it. So maybe I’ll pick up Target This and continue my foray into the ‘it’s so dark, I can’t see my hand in front of my face’ theme.
Maryse, what did you think of Burned? I wasn’t that impressed. It wasn’t a bad story but I didn’t connect with the characters and found the storyline hard to believe in.
Fabi, I haven’t read it yet, but I appreciate the feedback. 🙂